Official Tennis Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

I think Novac's initial exemption was about his popularity and event attendance. Once again the Almighty Dollar reared its ugly head.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject:

Addressing part below only:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

And this is the part I want to highlight:

Quote:
Hawke said he accepted Djokovic’s recent Covid-19 infection meant he was a “negligible risk to those around him”,....

So he does concede that Djokovic poses little to no threat to other people.

Quote:
....but that he was “perceived by some as a talisman of a community of anti-vaccine sentiment”.

His main argument is that anti-vaxxers will follow Djokovic.

So I find this in general potentially troubling too, if it were us, he was a citizen, and the rights at hand were more traditional free speech restrictions. Yes, he doesn't want Djokovic to come in, despite that he's little threat to spread Covid himself. Yes, it's because of how antivax Aussies would consider it a win and the consequences of that. So, yes it's about not what he did, but others' perception of him/situation and how they might act and not act(not vaccinate).
The main reason I am fine with this second-visa-denial/deportation reasoning, if not this minister or the govt, is that to not allow someone who is a non-citizen to come in has a different status in terms of freedom to me than a more standard First Amendment scenario, say for (1) a citizen, and (2) a restriction on the citizen's writing, expression verbally, right to protest, etc. It's something I think we do, under all presidential admins, denying people or categories of people for various reasons. Some legit, some not. But the point is we do it. So Australia does it their way, and they are not us, so kinda shrug for me.

Djokovic doesn't live in AU, has no particular right to be there that I am aware of, there is a pandemic raging and public sentiment is impacted, and he can say what he wants now or then. There have been far less substantial reasons (see Trump, Donald re muslim ban as biggest example, but basically all presidents) that people have been barred from entry or deported that I have been more upset about. I have a problem with how he was treated post-exemptiongrant, but shrug about his actual eventual rejection itself.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I think Novac's initial exemption was about his popularity and event attendance. Once again the Almighty Dollar reared its ugly head.

There apparently were different bodies that approved. Tennis Australia had, as I understand it, two independent (as in independent of govt or Tennis Australia or theoretically the Almighty Dollar) medical panels that approved his anonymized application (i.e. each panel's med professionals did not know whose application of the many they received that they were reviewing). I am not extremely sure on this but I believe I have read those points in different articles, Aussie and here.
Then there is a like a state govt or province maybe that had some say or interaction with this. Then the federal govt. I believe these medical panels via Tennis Australia were independent of govt bodies entirely.

My speculation is that as far as federal govt goes, they may have been fine with his exemption so that when Djoker got there, fed govt officials could get some of their low popularity politically back by loudly pointing at Djoker as a bad guy they were getting deported in order to get political points domestically. Not someone who follows Aussie politics, or politics a lot in general, that closely but I have read a bit of their media for the last couple of years. They had bad fires there and their Prime Minister was ripped for hishandling of that, and for his Covid handling severe restrictions.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure that if Djokovic had just kept quiet and not made that initial Instagram post about playing with an exemption, that he'd be playing tomorrow. Once he did though, the deeply unpopular conservative government in Australia decided to make an example of him, regardless of the process they set up.

It's a shame too, because it takes away from his strong statement on Peng Shuai, which, by the way, no other big name had the guts to stand up for against China. In the end though, it's entirely his fault: if he was vaccinated, this wouldn't have been a story.

Between this, 2020 USO, and his nearly two years of his prime lost when he was trying "natural remedies" to heal his elbow, Djokovic will remain in my mind one of the biggest "what-ifs" in history. He could easily be sitting at 24 majors right now if he didn't have a habit of being his own worst enemy.

Oh well, at least I'll get some real sleep over the next two weeks instead of staying up all night watching tennis.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject:

I agree with that, if Djoker doesn't do things he's good to play tomorrow

1) use social media to sort of show off how he won. Nadal had covid and went from UAE to Australia in 7 days. That's not normal either but Nadal did quietly. Djoker beats the system, and then showcases it on social media.

2) He is deceives the airport staff (whether in purpose or not).

I do think it's sad that no one stood up for him other than Kyrgios. If this were the NBA you would see a lot of guys stand up for him. Look at Kyrie. The ATP is filled with selfish soft pricks. Nadal's been exposed as a complete two faced ass (sorry Nadal fans).

The only guy I like on the ATP tour are Federer, Thiem and Kyrgios. Very real people in their own way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Good point, I'll at least try to catch Nick's matches. He's always a good show.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if Djokovic had just kept quiet and not made that initial Instagram post about playing with an exemption, that he'd be playing tomorrow. Once he did though, the deeply unpopular conservative government in Australia decided to make an example of him, regardless of the process they set up.

It's a shame too, because it takes away from his strong statement on Peng Shuai, which, by the way, no other big name had the guts to stand up for against China. In the end though, it's entirely his fault: if he was vaccinated, this wouldn't have been a story.

Between this, 2020 USO, and his nearly two years of his prime lost when he was trying "natural remedies" to heal his elbow, Djokovic will remain in my mind one of the biggest "what-ifs" in history. He could easily be sitting at 24 majors right now if he didn't have a habit of being his own worst enemy.

Oh well, at least I'll get some real sleep over the next two weeks instead of staying up all night watching tennis.

His fault for thinking he could get one over the the Australian government officials. Australia and China are the two strictest countries when it comes to covid restrictions for anyone that has been paying attention for the past 2 years. They have shown no compromise when it comes to sporting events and are willing to cancel them to keep their covid zero policies.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I think if he wants to compete in a Grand Slam he is gonna have to bite the bullet and get vaccinated.
https://www.cbssports.com/tennis/news/novak-djokovic-situation-explained-world-no-1-deported-one-day-before-australian-open-after-failed-appeal/

https://sports.yahoo.com/novak-djokovic-cant-play-at-french-open-unless-vaccinated-french-sports-ministry-says-183956146.html

Even something the Madrid Open will have rules similar to other tournaments.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/djokovic-has-comply-with-rules-go-spain-pm-says-2022-01-17/

I can see the same restrictions that is preventing Kyrie from playing home games being an obstacle for him trying to enter the US Open later in the year.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I think if he wants to compete in a Grand Slam he is gonna have to bite the bullet and get vaccinated.
https://www.cbssports.com/tennis/news/novak-djokovic-situation-explained-world-no-1-deported-one-day-before-australian-open-after-failed-appeal/

https://sports.yahoo.com/novak-djokovic-cant-play-at-french-open-unless-vaccinated-french-sports-ministry-says-183956146.html

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/djokovic-has-comply-with-rules-go-spain-pm-says-2022-01-17/

I can see the same restrictions that is preventing Kyrie from playing home games being an obstacle for him trying to enter the US Open later in the year.

With Macron, there won't be a chance there's any controversy with Djokovic. It's going to be get the vax or G-T-F-O.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I agree with that, if Djoker doesn't do things he's good to play tomorrow

1) use social media to sort of show off how he won. Nadal had covid and went from UAE to Australia in 7 days. That's not normal either but Nadal did quietly. Djoker beats the system, and then showcases it on social media.

2) He is deceives the airport staff (whether in purpose or not).

I do think it's sad that no one stood up for him other than Kyrgios. If this were the NBA you would see a lot of guys stand up for him. Look at Kyrie. The ATP is filled with selfish soft pricks. Nadal's been exposed as a complete two faced ass (sorry Nadal fans).

The only guy I like on the ATP tour are Federer, Thiem and Kyrgios. Very real people in their own way.

Raf is also vaccinated so none of this pertains to him.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

People who don’t what to die of thirst have to bite the bullet and drink water. Got no sympathy for stupid, plus arrogant.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject:

I haven't been watching the Australian Open. Shocked to learn Coco Gauff was eliminated in the 1st round. Neither Serena nor Venus will play in the Open.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

People who don’t what to die of thirst have to bite the bullet and drink water. Got no sympathy for stupid, plus arrogant.

Yeah, the idea that someone is being put out by being expected to follow rules designed to keep the public safe is ridiculous.

"Running late for work? Guess you'll have to bite the bullet and stop at all those stoplights . . ."
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject:

delpo retires. Definitely my one of my favorite non-big3 guys to watch along with Wawrinka.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
delpo retires. Definitely my one of my favorite non-big3 guys to watch along with Wawrinka.

That's too bad, easy to be a fan of Delpo. He couldn't get healthy, but if he could have sustained it, we probably are not talking the three legends all having 20 or more. Power game was for real, and could cut through their games. Funny thing about the trio, not big powerful games.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Novak Djokovic says he will opt out of future Grand Slams with COVID-19 vaccine mandates

"Yes, that is the price that I'm willing to pay," Djokovic told the BBC in a story published early Tuesday morning.

Djokovic, 34, told the BBC he isn't against vaccinations -- "I have never said that I am part of that movement," he noted -- but believes in personal choice. He said that is more important than potentially winning his 21st major trophy.

"Because the principles of decision-making on my body are more important than any title or anything else," Djokovic said.

"I'm trying to be in tune with my body as much as I possibly can," he said, adding that he has always been careful about everything he ingests. "Based on all the information that I got, I decided not to take the vaccine, as of today."

"I understand that there is a lot of criticism, and I understand that people come out with different theories on how lucky I was or how convenient it is," Djokovic said. "But no one is lucky and convenient of getting COVID. Millions of people have and are still struggling with COVID around the world. So I take this very seriously. I really don't like someone thinking I've misused something or in my own favor, in order to, you know, get a positive PCR test and eventually go to Australia."

Djokovic said he was "really sad and disappointed" about the way his time in Melbourne ended.

He is next expected to play at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California, in March.

Djokovic's status for the French Open, set to begin May 22, remains unclear. Vaccination rules in France could change in the months before Roland Garros, possibly allowing him to play. The country has started to ease some of its health and travel restrictions as it recovers from a record surge in infections fueled by the highly contagious omicron variant.

The French government last week gave an end-of-March/beginning-of-April time frame for the possible lifting of its vaccine requirement that, at the moment, puts unvaccinated players at risk of missing the French Open.

Djokovic is also the defending champion at Wimbledon, which will begin in late June. But so far, England has allowed exemptions from various coronavirus regulations for visiting athletes, if they remain at their accommodations when not competing or training.

The United States Tennis Association, which runs the US Open, has said it will follow government rules on vaccination status.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/33293456/novak-djokovic-says-opt-future-grand-slams-covid-19-vaccine-mandates
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Novak Djokovic says he will opt out of future Grand Slams with COVID-19 vaccine mandates

"Yes, that is the price that I'm willing to pay," Djokovic told the BBC in a story published early Tuesday morning.

Djokovic, 34, told the BBC he isn't against vaccinations -- "I have never said that I am part of that movement," he noted -- but believes in personal choice. He said that is more important than potentially winning his 21st major trophy.

"Because the principles of decision-making on my body are more important than any title or anything else," Djokovic said.

"I'm trying to be in tune with my body as much as I possibly can," he said, adding that he has always been careful about everything he ingests. "Based on all the information that I got, I decided not to take the vaccine, as of today."

"I understand that there is a lot of criticism, and I understand that people come out with different theories on how lucky I was or how convenient it is," Djokovic said. "But no one is lucky and convenient of getting COVID. Millions of people have and are still struggling with COVID around the world. So I take this very seriously. I really don't like someone thinking I've misused something or in my own favor, in order to, you know, get a positive PCR test and eventually go to Australia."

Djokovic said he was "really sad and disappointed" about the way his time in Melbourne ended.

He is next expected to play at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California, in March.

Djokovic's status for the French Open, set to begin May 22, remains unclear. Vaccination rules in France could change in the months before Roland Garros, possibly allowing him to play. The country has started to ease some of its health and travel restrictions as it recovers from a record surge in infections fueled by the highly contagious omicron variant.

The French government last week gave an end-of-March/beginning-of-April time frame for the possible lifting of its vaccine requirement that, at the moment, puts unvaccinated players at risk of missing the French Open.

Djokovic is also the defending champion at Wimbledon, which will begin in late June. But so far, England has allowed exemptions from various coronavirus regulations for visiting athletes, if they remain at their accommodations when not competing or training.

The United States Tennis Association, which runs the US Open, has said it will follow government rules on vaccination status.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/33293456/novak-djokovic-says-opt-future-grand-slams-covid-19-vaccine-mandates

huge loss for the sport.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Jokervic totally earning the nickname.

Claims he's not anti-vax, but then says he won't take it while stating that there is a problem with putting it in his body, citing information "he got" . . . the typical "I did my own research" BS that is the crutch of every anti-vaxxer. Follows it up with the "personal freedom" stuff that is the slogan for the anti-vaxx crowd. At least other anti-vaxxers have the balls to at least own it.

Tennis will be fine without him at any event he may miss. Opens up opportunities for talented players who aren't douchebags.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject:

San Diego's own Taylor Fritz def Nadal for the Indian Wells title...in straight sets

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Ash Barty retires at 25 as the #1 in the world pretty shocking
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

And it's the second time she's retired, too. She obviously doesn't have to have tennis in her life. And hey, if that's what makes her happy, good for her.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

And it's the second time she's retired, too. She obviously doesn't have to have tennis in her life. And hey, if that's what makes her happy, good for her.

Its usually the other things that caused her to rethink her career. You look at a tennis players schedule and they are traveling from city to city playing in tournaments. I would think that wears on you if you are doing that for a decade and probably even more so if she like other tennis players got started as a child. Since she is successful and probably has earned enough from the tour where she could live a comfortable life she no longer has the desire to keep up the grind.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Its usually the other things that caused her to rethink her career. You look at a tennis players schedule and they are traveling from city to city playing in tournaments. I would think that wears on you if you are doing that for a decade and probably even more so if she like other tennis players got started as a child. Since she is successful and probably has earned enough from the tour where she could live a comfortable life she no longer has the desire to keep up the grind.

She doesn't need it, obviously. I almost want to say she doesn't love it enough, and that's not a criticism, just a point. You'd have to drag me off the court until I sucked, if I were a pro and I could keep making a living and competing, and especially at a high level like she has played at. It sucks to lose her, especially at a time where there's such a void in the women's game. Serena is basically done, and that happened for Venus a long time ago. Osaka I think has the ability and star power, but there's off-the-court stuff going on that threatens that for her. Definitely interesting times in women's tennis. Some might like that the tour is totally wide open. But it's better if it's wide open with tons of star power. I'm not really seeing that right now.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Tennis great Boris Becker found guilty in bankruptcy trial, could face jail

LONDON -- Tennis great Boris Becker could face a prison sentence after being found guilty Friday of illicitly moving thousands of dollars from a bank account after he was declared bankrupt.

A jury at London's Southwark Crown Court convicted Becker on four charges under the Insolvency Act, including removal of property, concealing debt and two counts of failing to disclose estate assets.

The German star was found to have transferred hundreds of thousands of pounds after his June 2017 bankruptcy from his business account to other accounts, including those of his ex-wife Barbara and estranged wife Sharlely "Lilly" Becker.

He was also convicted of failing to declare a property in Germany and hiding an 825,000 euro ($895,000) bank loan and shares in a tech firm.

He was acquitted on 20 other counts, including charges that he failed to hand over his many awards, including two Wimbledon trophies and an Olympic gold medal.

The six-time Grand Slam champion had denied all the charges, saying he had cooperated with trustees tasked with securing his assets -- even offering up his wedding ring -- and had acted on expert advice.

Becker's bankruptcy stemmed from a 4.6 million euro loan from a private bank in 2013, as well as about $1.6 million borrowed from a British businessman the year after, according to testimony at the trial.

During the trial Becker, 54, said his $50 million career earnings had been swallowed up by payments for an "expensive divorce" and debts when he lost large chunks of his income after retirement.

He said he had "expensive lifestyle commitments," including a house in Wimbledon that cost 22,000 pounds in rent each month. But he said bad publicity had damaged "brand Becker," making it hard for him to earn enough to pay off his debts.

"[It is] very difficult when you are bankrupt and in the headlines every week for it," he told the jury. "[It is] very difficult to make a lot of money with my name."

The charges carry a maximum sentence of seven years in prison. Becker was granted bail until a sentencing hearing on April 29.

Sad. This is the time I started watching tennis: Becker, Lendl, Edberg
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Wimbledon Bars Russian, Belarusian Players Over Ukraine War.

I get this, but I certainly don't agree with it. I can't imagine people this-worldly and in their demographic are on the side of Putin.

The hope is that they would be able to use this as a platform to speak out on Russia with non- stifled media.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 8 of 23
Jump to: