THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3215, 3216, 3217 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Candace Owens is blaming Bob Saget's death on the vaccine.

And I'm sure her fanbase - old white guys - think she owned the libs on that one.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject:

CNN knows exactly who Simena is
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Trump on NPR:

The same way Manchin makes non-Progressive Democrats look bad.
The same way Trump makes old people look bad.

I know the majority of non-Progressive Democrats aren't Joe Manchin.
I know the majority of old people aren't Trump.

But damn, the sane people need a louder mic. And the mic needs to be taken away from some people.

Speaking of Manchin, I saw Pelosi said that she still believes that Manchin will come back around on BBB . . .

What's the saying?

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me . . . . ?

I hope Nancy has something up her sleeve we don't know about that makes her think that way.

Albert Einstein's definition of insanity: “doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.”

Biden, Nancy, and Chuck Schumer keep refusing to throw Manchin under the bus. Presumably because they think there is a pot of gold at the end of this Manchin turd rainbow. We'll see if they are right. But it's not looking good.

Hope they are right. They have as much, if not more, to lose than the rest of us. I would've called a spade a spade a long time ago.

It’s actually the other way around. There’s no value and plenty of harm in throwing him under the bus. He can be an independent or Republican any time he likes, and it might actually improve his political prospects. They can only get what they can get, and it is better than the alternative.

It's a tough situation. I get your point. I'm assuming we would lose committee seats if Manchin switches to Republican. Although I'm not sure how that works. Committees are split 50/50 because that's what the Senate is split as. But if it goes 51/49 in favor of Republicans (after a Manchin party switch). Would committees be reformed immediately? Would be funny if it would need a filibuster proof vote to do that.

At the same time though, Biden's approval rating is at 33% last I checked. Hard to think of a worse alternative right now. It's looking like we're not gonna get voting rights passed along with alot of things promised to Democrat voters in 2020. The current pathway Biden, Pelosi and Schumer are driving on is leading toward a cliff.

Yeah, but the other route is a faster cliff.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Trump on NPR:

But damn, the sane people need a louder mic. And the mic needs to be taken away from some people.

Speaking of Manchin, I saw Pelosi said that she still believes that Manchin will come back around on BBB . . .

What's the saying?

I hope Nancy has something up her sleeve we don't know about that makes her think that way.

Albert Einstein's definition of insanity: “doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.”

Biden, Nancy, and Chuck Schumer keep refusing to throw Manchin under the bus. Presumably because they think there is a pot of gold at the end of this Manchin turd rainbow. We'll see if they are right. But it's not looking good.

Hope they are right. They have as much, if not more, to lose than the rest of us. I would've called a spade a spade a long time ago.

It’s actually the other way around. There’s no value and plenty of harm in throwing him under the bus. He can be an independent or Republican any time he likes, and it might actually improve his political prospects. They can only get what they can get, and it is better than the alternative.

It's a tough situation. I get your point. I'm assuming we would lose committee seats if Manchin switches to Republican. Although I'm not sure how that works. Committees are split 50/50 because that's what the Senate is split as. But if it goes 51/49 in favor of Republicans (after a Manchin party switch). Would committees be reformed immediately? Would be funny if it would need a filibuster proof vote to do that.

At the same time though, Biden's approval rating is at 33% last I checked. Hard to think of a worse alternative right now. It's looking like we're not gonna get voting rights passed along with alot of things promised to Democrat voters in 2020. The current pathway Biden, Pelosi and Schumer are driving on is leading toward a cliff.

It’s the whole ‘Bernie’ again, do we burn the house down now to expose the ‘turd’ to accelerate progressive changes as painful as it maybe (kinda like the trumpers did but for good instead of evil) or play the game, fight from within and change slower but minimize damage… basically u want our own generation to suffer the hits or our kids, either way our grandkids should be (big IF but optimistically ‘should be’) a progressive society
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject:

In case people haven't been following the drip drip drip of Trump's plan to steal the election, here is a summary of what we know so far. Original twitter thread has links to back-up articles.

Quote:
Asha Rangappa @AshaRangappa_

THREAD. Since there’s so much [waves hands everywhere] crazy coming up all of a sudden, let me break down the theory of how the overturning of the election was supposed to go down:

STEP 1: John Eastman concocts a “legal blueprint” whereby VP Pence elides the requirements of the Electoral Vote Act based on 7 states submitting dual slates of electors, allowing Pence to either count the alternate slate or not count those states at all https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2021/images/09/20/eastman.memo.pdf

STEP 2: GOP operatives/officials in those 7 states in fact create a false slate of electors and submit them as official, so they can be used in the scenario above

cnn.com: Trump allies' fake Electoral College certificates offer fresh insights about plot to overturn...In the weeks after the 2020 election, then-President Donald Trump's allies sent fake certificates to the National Archives declaring that Trump won seven states that he actually lost. The documents...

STEP 3: DOJ, meanwhile, submits letters to each state, indicating (falsely) that they have reason to believe that there has been election fraud. This creates perception that results are actually in question, bolstering VP’s ability to discount their votes
documentcloud.org Jeffrey Clark draft letter

***I should note here that, as with the quid-pro-quo with Ukraine, it wouldn’t have mattered if these states did not actually investigate voter fraud — the DOJ letters would have been enough to create *the appearance* that the outcome in these states was still in the air

STEP 4: The Big Lie is repeated in rallies and social media, saturating information space to rile up base and give momentum to “Stop the Steal” movement

justsecurity.org #StopTheSteal Timeline: Social Media, Extremist Activity Up To 1/6 Insurrection - How a convergence of disinformation, domestic extremists and anti-democracy movements reached a horrifying climax at the U.S. Capitol.

STEP 5: Plan for all of these angry and agitated individuals to come to D.C. on January 6, the day that Eastman’s plan will be put into effect. The protesters are sent to march on the Capitol, to further put pressure on VP Pence and lawmakers, as stated in Oath Keeper indictment

STEP 6: Since mob attack is intended to keep up pressure on Pence/lawmakers, they must be able to remain in Capitol as long as possible. So: 6a) Purge top DOD and replace with loyalists; and 6b) delay LE/National Guard response as long as possible

esquire.com - Never Forget That Trump Purged the Pentagon Leadership Between the Election and January 6. And that the new leadership he installed seized direct control over deploying the National Guard that day. And that deployment was delayed for hours.

STEP 7: ??? I’m not sure what was supposed to happen at this point. Presumably, Pence would somehow declare Trump the winner, or if not, the Capitol would remain occupied until they found a way to make him do it. Seems like they planned to continue the siege

The point is that there are a lot of moving parts and evidence surfacing in a lot of different areas but they are all connected to one overarching goal: Keep Trump in power by subverting the counting of the electoral votes and preventing the transfer of power to Biden /END

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1482384084433313795

If DOJ doesn't investigate and indict Trump and all responsible, they will do it again in 2022 and 2024. In fact Trump is on video TODAY urging state GOP to place loyalists on election boards so they can count the vote "the right way."

Quote:
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski

Trump tells PA GOP why he is placing an emphasis on Supervisor of Elections races in 22: “We have to be a lot sharper the next time when it comes to counting the vote .. Sometimes the vote counter is more important than the candidate. They have to get a lot tougher and smarter.”

Link to video

Tick tick tick
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject:

^^And he disarmed the Capitol NG and Police that day

>>ONE Bullet saved America
>>>One bullet killed an American Terrorist from a firearm those new DoD and NG Leaders didn't account for

Thank God that gun was available to kill Terrorists with!
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject:

White American terrorists are more dangerous to this country than any overseas terrorists.

White American terrorists are racist traitors, just like the South/Confederacy.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject:

And not all White Americans are racist and/or terrorists.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Trump on NPR:

What's the saying?

It’s the whole ‘Bernie’ again, do we burn the house down now to expose the ‘turd’ to accelerate progressive changes as painful as it maybe (kinda like the trumpers did but for good instead of evil) or play the game, fight from within and change slower but minimize damage… basically u want our own generation to suffer the hits or our kids, either way our grandkids should be (big IF but optimistically ‘should be’) a progressive society

It feels like a choice on how we're going to fail in the immediate future. Failure appears to be a certainty. It's just a matter of how we do it.

And I'm not too confident predicting what the rebound afterward looks like.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject:

The withdrawal from Afghanistan and the mainstream media's unbelievably stupid, dishonest, cynical reaction to that was when I realized that the rest of Biden's presidency was doomed. They don't mind authoritarianism, they don't mind Trump. They want him back.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
The withdrawal from Afghanistan and the mainstream media's unbelievably stupid, dishonest, cynical reaction to that was when I realized that the rest of Biden's presidency was doomed. They don't mind authoritarianism, they don't mind Trump. They want him back.

I understand your concerns. However, I'm holding onto hope that 70% of the country will turn out and defeat 30% Trump/Racism.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I was talking about this earlier today with some friends.

R voters love to claim the media is biased and left leaning etc. But whenever I turn on CNN nowadays. It's always negative coverage of Biden. I wish the media was as biased as the victim claiming R voters imagine it to be.

There are things where I think Biden should've taken a different approach. But the vast majority of things that are hurting him right now (inflation, gas prices, pandemic fatigue) are out of his control.

But if you watch news. And I'm not talking about Fox News, OAN, etc. I'm talking CNN, MSNBC. You'd think he was the worst President ever. Hurting our country with non-stop poor decision making.

It's shocking.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I haven't even broached the theories on why the coverage is that way. I'm just still in utter shock of the coverage itself.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject:

It’s pretty depressing as a reasonable person to realize the country is going to be handed back to the Coup Party and there isn’t much we can do to stop it. It’s obvious where the momentum is headed.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
It’s pretty depressing as a reasonable person to realize the country is going to be handed back to the Coup Party and there isn’t much we can do to stop it. It’s obvious where the momentum is headed.

It's pretty staggering to realize that 240 years of democracy will come crashing down in the span of a decade. I'm truly apprehensive about what this country will be in four years and it's surreal that it will be because of the failure of a few dozen people in power to do the correct things—whether it be the deeply unethical people on the right like McConnell et al, or the naive "we need to be bipartisan" ethical people on the left. It's like "never bring a knife to a gunfight" on steroids.

There was a time to "play nice", but that is long gone. And now it's too late get ruthless.

But at least we can console ourselves that Garland et al are aggressively prosecuting all of those involved in the insurrection . . . right? . . . oh wait . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
trmiv wrote:

It's pretty staggering to realize that 240 years of democracy will come crashing down in the span of a decade. I'm truly apprehensive about what this country will be in four years and it's surreal that it will be because of the failure of a few dozen people in power to do the correct things—whether it be the deeply unethical people on the right like McConnell et al, or the naive "we need to be bipartisan" ethical people on the left. It's like "never bring a knife to a gunfight" on steroids.

There was a time to "play nice", but that is long gone. And now it's too late get ruthless.

But at least we can console ourselves that Garland et al are aggressively prosecuting all of those involved in the insurrection . . . right? . . . oh wait . . .

It took everything in me to not break my computer while watching Sinema's most recent speech.
For the record. This ISN'T on Biden. But the way things are headed, we are screwed.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Even the best case scenario - Trump and others to go prison, which, at this point, I seriously doubt - I'm afraid it won't have much of an electoral impact. 45% of the country are committed authoritarians, and the "middle" are bunch of idiots who think CRT will destroy their lives and are still voting for a freaking insurrectionist party a few months after the insurrection. DeSantis gets elected, issues a bunch of pardons, and we are in deep (bleep).

And don't get me started on the "progressives" that are already planning to sit the next election out.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

And don't get me started on the "progressives" that are already planning to sit the next election out.

At this point. I think that might be an antiquated perspective. Screw "progressives" there are people who got us those 2 Senate seats in Georgia who are far from Bernie voters who will say, "screw it". I was told. If we get these 2 seats. We have power. And X, Y, and Z would get done. And they aren't getting done/won't get done between now and 2022 and 2024.

As if that's not enough. they're seeing inflation faaar outpacing cost of living wages, gas prices, COVID fatigue, etc, etc.

We have alot to do this upcoming year if just breaking even is the goal.

Last edited by kikanga on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Even the best case scenario - Trump and others to go prison, which, at this point, I seriously doubt - I'm afraid it won't have much of an electoral impact. 45% of the country are committed authoritarians, and the "middle" are bunch of idiots who think CRT will destroy their lives and are still voting for a freaking insurrectionist party a few months after the insurrection. DeSantis gets elected, issues a bunch of pardons, and we are in deep (bleep).

They are the reason this landslide of a (bleep) show got started in the first place.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

At this point. I think that might be an antiquated perspective. Screw "progressives" there are people who got us those 2 Senate seats in Georgia who are far from Bernie voters who will say, "screw it". I was told. If we get these 2 seats. We have power. And X, Y, and Z would get done. And they aren't getting done/won't get done between now and 2022 and 2024.

As if that's not enough. they're seeing inflation faaar outpacing cost of living wages, gas prices, COVID fatigue, etc, etc.

Politics is the art of the possible. You never sit out an election, never, especially when the other side is a bunch of blood hungry authoritarians. No amount of inflation, COVID fatigue, gas prices, unfulfilled campaign promises should result in unilaterally surrendering.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Politics is the art of the possible. You never sit out an election, never, especially when the other side is a bunch of blood hungry authoritarians. No amount of inflation, COVID fatigue, gas prices, unfulfilled campaign promises should result in unilaterally surrendering.

The problem is, the alleged progressives who sit out don't see it as surrendering. They are just as stupid as Trumpies—they think they are "owning" the Left. They aren't getting their own way, so they want to make sure that everyone else suffers for it. Which is why I have been saying for years that those who call themselves "progressive" while sitting out or "protest" voting have no concept of how progress works and are just intellectual toddlers.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I agree.

But there is a difference between the way people should act and the way we can reasonably assume people will act.

For example, Barack’s WH was scared to death in 2012 by just 1 of those things (gas prices).

And when things were promised to swing state voters in 2020. Georgia or otherwise. Your thoughts of “art of the possible” wasn’t included as a disclaimer.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

And when things were promised to swing state voters in 2020. Georgia or otherwise. Your thoughts of “art of the possible” wasn’t included as a disclaimer.

Things get promised in every damn election ever held. That's what good campaigning is all about.

What you're describing is a bunch of stupid, privileged people. Other segments of the Democratic coalition know better, which is why they always vote, such as African American women.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Things get promised in every damn election ever held. That's what good campaigning is all about.

What you're describing is a bunch of stupid, privileged people. Other segments of the Democratic coalition know better, which is why they always vote, such as African American women.

I'm a privileged old white dude who is proud to be on the same page as African American women.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I don’t think the majority of people go to campaign rallies. Listen to candidates with varying visions for the future. And factor in unforeseeable roadblocks from the future to the promises.

And if they do. Not to the magnitude Sinema and Manchin have presented.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3215, 3216, 3217 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 3216 of 3663
Jump to: