Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I got fully vaxed, etc. etc., but I support those who don't want to get vaxed.

You must not be in healthcare.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Djokovic released a somewhat lengthy statement on his Instagram account where he acknowledges some mistakes but says he wants to set the record straight about certain things that are being talked about.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYnO7cDqbdj/?utm_medium=copy_link
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:44 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Djokovic released a somewhat lengthy statement on his Instagram account where he acknowledges some mistakes but says he wants to set the record straight about certain things that are being talked about.

To be honest, and I don’t really have a preference for what happens here. I think his explanation makes him look more dodgy though.

He goes to an event knowing there is a PCR test?. The l’eqiupe (media) he hung out with for that event in December say they were never notified of a positive PCR test. Then he blames his team member for filling in the false statements on his travel locations arriving at the Airport.

Ugh, there’s just too must sketch. His social media response showed to me he knows he’s been caught and needs to tell a different narrative to sway opinion.

Rafa said it, everyone knew what it would take to enter Australia. Everyone. They all did it. This guy was always shady about this. He never even had the timeline to be double vaxed, to be able to travel to Australia and make the tourney in time. His entire narrative is based on that had he not magically gotten Covid in that 15-18 Dec range he would not be defending his AO title? That’s just plain weird to me. Why is he in Spain practicing with Aussie Open tennis balls? He prepared all along as if he’s going to Australia. Which makes no sense. The timeline just fit in for him so perfectly not to be vaccinated yet get Covid just a few weeks before.

There’s also a report that unless the Covid is significant IE symptomatic then the Australian exemption is not valid. So did he tell the panel that gave him this exemption that he was symptomatic or not? Or was the panel unaware of the exemption being based on Covid being severe/symptomatic while Novaks alleged second Covid was Covid asymptomatic? Did the panel who gave him the his exemption properly evaluate all the facts?

To me there’s legit grounds to throw the guy out but he’s already interacted and entered. The Serbian government is involved now.

I think this could be a situation where he himself pulls out with an apology trying to save face. Or the Serbian government will secure an agreement to let him play on in Australia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:04 am    Post subject:

BTW record wise he may end up with 4-5 more slams than Federer. But Fed will be the man always because of how he carried/carries himself. I’ve never really had a horse in the big 3 race for GOAT. All 3 imo can make a case.

But all this horse (bleep) makes you appreciate Fed even more. Dudes been playing on one healthy leg for the last 4 years. His knees are shot. He’s 40. He’s pure class. Very fortunate to have lived in the era these guys played tennis but Federer shows once again why so many put him on a different level than Novak.

I also have some funny Novak junior days stories from coaches/clubs that had him for a little period. He was a determined SOB. Hell of a competitive drive. Exceeds Federer by miles in this area. But all say he’s a selfish prick. And to be honest, I don’t blame him. You don’t get there from where he came from if you’re not wired this way. However when you deal with Covid, it’s a different can go worms. This isn’t some Elitist tennis tourney or tennis club you’re trying to get into. It’s about a country and Covid. That self centered relentless competitive drive won’t work as an excuse.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject:

I was just about to post here that the greatest tennis champion of all time, Roger Federer, would never pull some crap like this.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

To be honest, and I don’t really have a preference for what happens here. I think his explanation makes him look more dodgy though.

He goes to an event knowing there is a PCR test?. The l’eqiupe (media) he hung out with for that event in December say they were never notified of a positive PCR test. Then he blames his team member for filling in the false statements on his travel locations arriving at the Airport.

Ugh, there’s just too must sketch. His social media response showed to me he knows he’s been caught and needs to tell a different narrative to sway opinion.

Rafa said it, everyone knew what it would take to enter Australia. Everyone. They all did it. This guy was always shady about this. He never even had the timeline to be double vaxed, to be able to travel to Australia and make the tourney in time. His entire narrative is based on that had he not magically gotten Covid in that 15-18 Dec range he would not be defending his AO title? That’s just plain weird to me. Why is he in Spain practicing with Aussie Open tennis balls? He prepared all along as if he’s going to Australia. Which makes no sense. The timeline just fit in for him so perfectly not to be vaccinated yet get Covid just a few weeks before.

There’s also a report that unless the Covid is significant IE symptomatic then the Australian exemption is not valid. So did he tell the panel that gave him this exemption that he was symptomatic or not? Or was the panel unaware of the exemption being based on Covid being severe/symptomatic while Novaks alleged second Covid was Covid asymptomatic? Did the panel who gave him the his exemption properly evaluate all the facts?

To me there’s legit grounds to throw the guy out but he’s already interacted and entered. The Serbian government is involved now.

I think this could be a situation where he himself pulls out with an apology trying to save face. Or the Serbian government will secure an agreement to let him play on in Australia.

It's your standard Non-Apology-Apology. "What I did was wrong . . . but I didn't do anything wrong. Not my fault . . . I'm the real victim" nonsense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject:

This sums it perfectly:

Francis Maxwell
@francismmaxwell

Let me say this, if Naomi Osaka, or Serena Williams acted in the way Novak Djokovic has acted in the past couple weeks- the tennis association would be sharpening their knives. They hung Osaka out to dry because she missed a couple pressers, meanwhile on Djokovic...(crickets).

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You can save face or your @ss, but not both.

I don't have a lot of regard for this guy. He's actually turned me off to the sport for a while now. Sampras was always my dude, but I had to give Federer some legit credit. Both were gentlemen. Novak's a jerk and I find him impossible to root for.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject:

Well they better have their decision soon because the Aussie Open starts in a couple of days.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
This sums it perfectly:

Francis Maxwell
@francismmaxwell

Let me say this, if Naomi Osaka, or Serena Williams acted in the way Novak Djokovic has acted in the past couple weeks- the tennis association would be sharpening their knives. They hung Osaka out to dry because she missed a couple pressers, meanwhile on Djokovic...(crickets).

This is actually pretty dumb. What is "the tennis association"? Who is "they" who hung Osaka out to dry? That was the french open. Then, crickets on Djokovic...pretty sure it's not that quiet.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
This sums it perfectly:

Francis Maxwell
@francismmaxwell

This is actually pretty dumb. What is "the tennis association"? Who is "they" who hung Osaka out to dry? That was the french open. Then, crickets on Djokovic...pretty sure it's not that quiet.

The WTA fined Osaka for skipping pressers. Williams was also punished for her tennis attire. The Australian government is the one sanctioning Joker, not professional tennis as an organization.

So no, it's not "actually pretty dumb". It exemplifies the misogynistic double standards in professional tennis that people have been pointing out for decades.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
This sums it perfectly:

Francis Maxwell
@francismmaxwell

The WTA fined Osaka for skipping pressers. Williams was also punished for her tennis attire. The Australian government is the one sanctioning Joker, not professional tennis as an organization.

So no, it's not "actually pretty dumb". It exemplifies the misogynistic double standards in professional tennis that people have been pointing out for decades.

No it is actually pretty dumb. Men's and women's tennis have different associations. There are two different associations who could act or not act here. There is no pro tennis as an organization, they are different tours. Players get fined for skipping press conferences men and women. But in Osaka's case it was not the WTA but French Open tournament organizers. Also Djokovic himself has been fined for skipping press conferences. The misogynistic double standards in pro tennis do exist but not only not at all exemplified by this, but not even touched on by this tweet. Those double standards are demonstrated better by the fact that Alexander Zverev, #3 player who there are real facts suggesting he abused his ex-gf, has pretty much gotten a pass on it. Nadal practiced with the guy today. But this tweet, pretty dumb.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Immigration minister cancelled his visa, also means he is banned from Australia for 3 years. I'm guessing his lawyers will get on the case ASAP.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2022/jan/14/novak-djokovic-news-live-visa-cancelled-australia-2022-australian-open-tennis-latest-updates-immigration-minister-alex-hawke
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Immigration minister cancelled his visa, also means he is banned from Australia for 3 years. I'm guessing his lawyers will get on the case ASAP.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2022/jan/14/novak-djokovic-news-live-visa-cancelled-australia-2022-australian-open-tennis-latest-updates-immigration-minister-alex-hawke

lmao

That's what you get for trying to play knifey spooney with immigration officials.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
This sums it perfectly:

Francis Maxwell
@francismmaxwell

No it is actually pretty dumb. Men's and women's tennis have different associations. There are two different associations who could act or not act here. There is no pro tennis as an organization, they are different tours. Players get fined for skipping press conferences men and women. But in Osaka's case it was not the WTA but French Open tournament organizers. Also Djokovic himself has been fined for skipping press conferences. The misogynistic double standards in pro tennis do exist but not only not at all exemplified by this, but not even touched on by this tweet. Those double standards are demonstrated better by the fact that Alexander Zverev, #3 player who there are real facts suggesting he abused his ex-gf, has pretty much gotten a pass on it. Nadal practiced with the guy today. But this tweet, pretty dumb.

Fair enough, but calling it "dumb" is overstating it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject:

Novac has the right not to be vaccinated. Australia has the right to revoke his visa. The country is in the throes of rising COVID cases. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. I hope he loses his appeal.

Novak Djokovic's Australian visa revoked again

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Novac has the right not to be vaccinated. Australia has the right to revoke his visa. The country is in the throes of rising COVID cases. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. I hope he loses his appeal.

LINK

It also makes it confusing that there exists exemptions. He was approved for an exemption. He boarded a plane, landed, showed his exemption and was denied entry.

He appealed to the courts which acknowledged that he has an exemption and allowed him to enter Australia on Monday.

Australia still has the right to revoke his visa and they waited until Friday to do so. He's scheduled to play on Monday. It's no coincidence that they waited until Friday.

It's just weird and confusing. Why even have exemptions in the first place? It's such a waste of everyone's time. If Australia wants to mandate vaccinations before entry w/o exemptions, then they should just make that the policy. Easy for everyone.

Former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd:

Quote:
"Why on earth did they issue the visa in the first place?"

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 am; edited 2 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

It also makes it confusing that there exists exemptions. He was approved for an exemption. He boarded a plane, landed, showed his exemption and was denied entry.

He appealed to the courts which acknowledged that he has an exemption and allowed him to enter Australia on Monday.

Australia still has the right to revoke his visa and they waited until Friday to do so. He's scheduled to play on Monday. It's no coincidence that they waited until Friday.

It's just weird and confusing. Why even have exemptions in the first place?

Do you think he'll play Monday? I believe courts have options to rule on weekends.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Do you think he'll play Monday? I believe courts have options to rule on weekends.

I don't know anything about the Australian legal system to be able to predict what the outcome will be. It'd just be a straight up wild guess.

Yeah, he'll know by Sunday night Australian time.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

It's just weird and confusing. Why even have exemptions in the first place? It's such a waste of everyone's time. If Australia wants to mandate vaccinations before entry w/o exemptions, then they should just make that the policy. Easy for everyone.

Quote:

There were errors on his application, though. He even acknowledged that. Well, let me correct myself. He blamed it on his team for filling something out incorrectly. As if you aren't responsible for filling out your forms correctly on something as big as this. No sympathy from me. I would have thought it was BS, regardless of what I think about his dopiness for not getting vaccinated, had he simply followed directions as told and if he was told to board the plane because he would be granted the exemption. But it appears that he either mismanaged his application or, worse, is lying about something.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

There were errors on his application, though. He even acknowledged that. Well, let me correct myself. He blamed it on his team for filling something out incorrectly. As if you aren't responsible for filling out your forms correctly on something as big as this. No sympathy from me. I would have thought it was BS, regardless of what I think about his dopiness for not getting vaccinated, had he simply followed directions as told and if he was told to board the plane because he would be granted the exemption. But it appears that he either mismanaged his application or, worse, is lying about something.

IMO this may be a case of self-entitlement.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Djokovic faces 3 year ban from Australia:

Quote:
With the Australian Open three days away, things are in chaos. Djokovic’s lawyers are keeping their client in isolation in Australia, now fighting Hawke’s ministerial powers to deport him.

The next step is huge for Djokovic’s future. Should his lawyers lose, and Novak is deported he will face a mandatory three year ban on entry to Australia, as laid out by the nation’s immigration laws. This could mean that he is unable to return to the Australian Open until his is 37 years old, which could effectively result in him never competing in the event again.

Australia's reasons for canceling Djokovic's visa a 2nd time is different from their reasons the first time. This is becoming a farce:

Quote:
A report from The Sydney Morning Heraldand The Age on Saturday morning revealed a different stance on the whole debate from Immigration Minister Alex Hawke.

The report revealed Hawke’s decision to cancel Djokovic’s visa for a second time centred around him being a risk to civil order and public health.

In it, Hawke conceded Djokovic had in fact entered Australia with a valid medical exemption and posed a low risk of contracting the virus and passing it on to others due to his recent infection.

Instead, Hawke described Djokovic as a “high profile un-vaccinated individual” whose presence could put lives and civil order at risk, which is expected to be the new argument made at Sunday’s hearing.

“Mr Hawke’s detailed reasons for his decision to cancel Djokovic’s visa for a second time portray the nine-time Australian Open winner as a menace to both public health and public order,” the report claimed before revealing comments from Hawke himself.

“Given Mr Djokovic’s high-profile status and position as a role model in the sporting and broader community, his ongoing presence in Australia may foster similar disregard for the precautionary requirements following receipt of a positive COVID-19 test in Australia,” Mr Hawke wrote, according to the report.

“In particular, his behaviour may encourage or influence others to emulate his prior conduct and fail to comply with appropriate health measures following a positive COVID-19 test, which itself could lead to the transmission of the disease and serious risk to their health and others.”

Hawke went on to add that Djokovic’s presence could “lead to an increase in anti-vaccination sentiment generated in the Australian community, potentially leading to an increase in civil unrest”.

“These matters go to the very preservation of life and health of many members of the general community and further are crucial to the maintaining the health system in Australia, which is facing increasing strain in the current circumstances of the pandemic,” he concluded.

Basically, they don't want a high profile anti-vaxxer to be in the country, but they do have exemptions for hight profile anti-vaxxers to enter the country. Weird logic.

Quote:
Hawke did go on to add that Djokovic has not tried to break any Australian laws and called him a “person of good standing” given his philanthropic work.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject:

If Novac's visa is revoked he won't be able to play the Australian Open for 3 years. If I were advising, I'd advise him to voluntarily leave the country to avoid a 3-year ban or get vaccinated.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If Novac's visa is revoked he won't be able to play the Australian Open for 3 years. If I were advising, I'd advise him to voluntarily leave the country to avoid a 3-year ban or get vaccinated.

I think it gets waived:

Quote:
Deportation from Australia can lead to a three-year ban on returning to the country, although that may be waived, depending on the circumstances.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Yeah, but it has nothing to do with the exemptions (as far as I know):

Quote:
Djokovic has acknowledged that his travel declaration was incorrect because it failed to indicate that he had been in multiple countries over the two weeks before his arrival in Australia.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 6 of 23
Jump to: