Old stuff from 60s Laker Tommy Hawkins

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Old stuff from 60s Laker Tommy Hawkins

It appears that someone who owns the late Tommy's old footage (various) and/or media appearances has put up some clips of them. Looks like they want to sell complete stuff to buyers. The YT NBA channel has used a couple of things from this site. Tommy was a good guy, often went on Joe McDonnell and other drivetime sports radio shows, and was an interviewer in the day (there's one of him interviewing Ali). He had a lot of interesting 60s anecdotes pertaining to stuff like the hard landing in the early 60s that could've been a disaster a la Kobe/Marshall Univ and also the scrape between Wilt and idiot coach VBK in Gm7 of the 69 Finals. Tommy was the former Laker who, during the closer of the 85 title at Boston, Hot Rod Hundley called and asked, "Are you watching this?!" Tommy replied, "I've got my uniform on!" He watched that game in his old uni. That's a Laker.

4evARaBruinLG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject:

"Tommy was the former Laker who, during the closer of the 85 title at Boston, Hot Rod Hundley called and asked, "Are you watching this?!" Tommy replied, "I've got my uniform on!" He watched that game in his old uni."

Never heard that. That is awesome.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

Great stuff NPZ.
Just listened to a Bill Simmons Podcast and he mentioned your YT channel. He was talking about the Magic Westhead 40 min vid that you put up. Him and JA Adande spoke in length about the vid.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject:

Always great to see old footage. The game has changed so much, those fast break layups would be pull up 3's with no one under the basket.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Great stuff NPZ.
Just listened to a Bill Simmons Podcast and he mentioned your YT channel. He was talking about the Magic Westhead 40 min vid that you put up. Him and JA Adande spoke in length about the vid.

Reals? What day was that? JA likes my Magic vid, tho YT site changes munged up the bordering which sucks. Was that a recent show because I remember Simmons talking about it in Oct. I don't recall JA on there. He could've been the other person talking about it and I just didn't recognize his voice. That 81 thing is a timewarp because it has a bunch of names that are still around or are well-known like Stu Nahan, Roy Firestone, Fred Roggin, David Halberstam, Connie Chung, and Tricia Toyota for the LA peeps. I remember them discussing the candor and who gives a bleep manner to interviews they were displaying back then about such a touchy issue. Chick, Kareem, Westhead himself!!, Magic, Riles, Dr. Buss himself and half were towing the company line, but Kareem was a little miffled imo because he was the one most enjoying Westhead's new gameplan that focused on him. Kind of a pre-Kobe/Shaq thing. The Lakers, man...it's alwaaays us w/ these kind of spectacles.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject:

Looking at the video reminded me of just how skilled today's players are, and how much the 3-pt shot has opened up the court.

Also - how much bigger the players are today. At one point, it looked like Wilt and 9 guards on the court.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: