PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
He revealed his personal biases. Don't think he should be eligible to vote anymore.

Aaron Rodgers put his bogus personal beliefs ahead of his team and lied about it, compromising his team in the process. But a voter shouldn't be allowed to consider their personal feelings when voting? That's nonsense.

They shouldn't its like the guy who thought Manning was the MVP in 2013 but didn't vote for him because he wanted Brady to be at the time the lone unanimous MVP.

If they want the MVP to have credibility they should leave personal feelings out of it.

I don't even like Aaron either however the Packers are the #1 seed and knew about his status so how did he ruin things for them?

No, if the MVP is going to have any credibility, then when a player selfishly puts his personal beliefs ahead of his team and the league, then he should be the one held accountability, not voters who factor that into their voting.

If you don't understand or ignore why his dishonesty about being unvaxxed puts others at risk, or the fact that doing so forced him to miss a game, then commenting on a voter using their personal beliefs to evaluate his MVP status is unreasonable.

Except he's still unvaxxed and the Packers are the #1 seed. So how exactly did he damage the Packers here? They knew he was unvaccinated it was the public that didn't know. I also personally don't care as vaccinated and unvaccinated people can still spread and get it. It is irresponsible to just blame the unvaccinated only here. Aaron would be better off not getting the MVP as its a curse anyways the last regular season MVP to win it all was Kurt Warner back in 1999.

Says the person who sees the MVP voter as the problem.

In this instance yes they are the problem because they chose to make it public just think of all the other voters who don't. I just find it funny considering how many people around here thought the media was biased against Kobe when it came to the MVP race because they factor his personal life instead of his on the court play. The narrative is totally opposite around these parts.

Please compare an anti-vaxxer to Kobe some more. Please do.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Says the person who sees the MVP voter as the problem.

In this instance yes they are the problem because they chose to make it public just think of all the other voters who don't.

So what?

Quote:
I just find it funny considering how many people around here thought the media was biased against Kobe when it came to the MVP race because they factor his personal life instead of his on the court play. The narrative is totally opposite around these parts.

All MVP votes are just meaningless opinion polls, and you know what they say about opinions. The fact that you cite Kobe voting complaints just proves my point. The number of times there has been a detractor on and MVP is countless.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Now that Texas sidestepping. Eliminate every, answer the question. Do you share his opinion?

I'm not sidestepping anything. Your overemphasis on his use of "every" was just silly. And I have already explained where I stand.

The pursuit of purity in voting for what is just a meaningless popularity contest based on opinion is a pointless effort.

I give you I overemphasize, which I corrected. I'm still wondering whether or not you agree with VLF.

We somewhat agree with the pursuit of purity in voting, it's not pointless. I don't think personal feelings should be an ingredient when voting on athletic achievements.

But that's what makes the world go round, difference of opinions. Without them, change would be slow and stagnation would be the result.

Peace Out My Brother From Another Mother. ✌🏾

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
What players do in their personal lives has nothing to do with what they do on the field. MVP is Most Valuable Player, not Most Valuable Person.

If a CEO takes his company to the top of the business heap, gets an award, goes out after the award party, gets a DUI, and kills someone, should it matter to the award?

@DMR
What makes VLF qualified to say EVERY voter is putting their personal feelings into their vote? EVERY is all inclusive. Do you share that opinion?

Journal Times editorial: In MVP vote, judge Rodgers for what he does on the field

LINK

Snipit

Quote:
A more recent and relevant example: Golden State Warriors Head Coach Steve Kerr is outspokenly liberal. In 2015-16, his team set the NBA record for regular-season wins – having won 73 and lost only 9. Should his non-basketball opinions have mattered in the voting for Coach of the Year, which he deservedly won? Or should the vote for that honor have been based upon what his players did on the court under his direction?

DMR wrote:

Quote:
Why the hell should he lose his vote because you disagree with his thoughts on the matter. He’s right. Aaron Rodgers is a (bleep) person who put himself ahead of his teammates. Hardly an MVP attitude.

Quote:
It’s Most Valuable Player, not Most Valuable Player Whose Views Match My Own.

Quote:
That decision should be limited to what the top players have done this season between the white lines.

How can anyone decide between 2 or more options without inserting their feelings into the process? The criteria you use to make that decision is your feeling about what is important. Some feel that stats are the answer, some feel that team wins are while I feel that leadership in the face of turmoil is what sways my decision. If the writer feels that the vaccine issue slants his opinion, then that is how he will make his decision. Unless there is clear criteria of what compromises the MVP then people will use what matters to them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
What players do in their personal lives has nothing to do with what they do on the field. MVP is Most Valuable Player, not Most Valuable Person.

If a CEO takes his company to the top of the business heap, gets an award, goes out after the award party, gets a DUI, and kills someone, should it matter to the award?

@DMR
What makes VLF qualified to say EVERY voter is putting their personal feelings into their vote? EVERY is all inclusive. Do you share that opinion?

Journal Times editorial: In MVP vote, judge Rodgers for what he does on the field

LINK

Snipit

Quote:
A more recent and relevant example: Golden State Warriors Head Coach Steve Kerr is outspokenly liberal. In 2015-16, his team set the NBA record for regular-season wins – having won 73 and lost only 9. Should his non-basketball opinions have mattered in the voting for Coach of the Year, which he deservedly won? Or should the vote for that honor have been based upon what his players did on the court under his direction?

DMR wrote:

Quote:
Why the hell should he lose his vote because you disagree with his thoughts on the matter. He’s right. Aaron Rodgers is a (bleep) person who put himself ahead of his teammates. Hardly an MVP attitude.

Quote:
It’s Most Valuable Player, not Most Valuable Player Whose Views Match My Own.

Quote:
That decision should be limited to what the top players have done this season between the white lines.

How can anyone decide between 2 or more options without inserting their feelings into the process? The criteria you use to make that decision is your feeling about what is important. Some feel that stats are the answer, some feel that team wins are while I feel that leadership in the face of turmoil is what sways my decision. If the writer feels that the vaccine issue slants his opinion, then that is how he will make his decision. Unless there is clear criteria of what compromises the MVP then people will use what matters to them.

I accept but don't agree with your assessment. MVP is an opinion. What one bases it on in this matter is subjective. I don't see where feelings have a place when judging a player's importance to a team or a sports achievements.

I'm of the school MVP should be based on the importance of the player to a team or sport. Again I say MVP is Most Valuable Player, not Most Valuable Person.

e.g. Lawrence Taylor, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire all won MVP awards. I'm fairly sure you're aware of their off-field antics. Going on what you feel is important none would have.

Of course, as I said, opinions are based on one's criteria of importance. IMO feelings have no place when judging athletes on field in-game accomplishments.

Aaron misstepped concerning COVID. He's not running for president. He's in the MVP, a sports achievement race. As far as leadership goes, his team is 100% behind him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject:

We should just move to a version of BCS rankings for MVP.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aaron misstepped concerning COVID.

That's because he's a pseudo-intellectual dumbass.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aaron misstepped concerning COVID.

That's because he's a pseudo-intellectual dumbass.

Opinions are like (Y) everybody's got one.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject:

I would go with Jonathan Taylor personally.

He carried my fantasy team to the playoffs practically single handedly before it all went horribly wrong.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I would go with Jonathan Taylor personally.

He carried my fantasy team to the playoffs practically single handedly before it all went horribly wrong.

Good choice. A non-quarterback hasn't won the title since 2012 when running back Adrian Peterson won. Taylor has 1,626 yards on the ground on 297 carries. He has a great chance of reaching 2000 yards or more this season. Peterson rushed for 2,314 when he won the prize.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
We should just move to a version of BCS rankings for MVP.

Better to just eliminate it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Now that Texas sidestepping. Eliminate every, answer the question. Do you share his opinion?

I'm not sidestepping anything. Your overemphasis on his use of "every" was just silly. And I have already explained where I stand.

The pursuit of purity in voting for what is just a meaningless popularity contest based on opinion is a pointless effort.

I give you I overemphasize, which I corrected. I'm still wondering whether or not you agree with VLF.

As I said, I agree with the idea that personal feelings are bound to be factored into a vote of this kind, it's just personal nature. If an MVP vote is going to be devoid of that, then the process needs to become an automated algorithm of some kind.

Quote:
We somewhat agree with the pursuit of purity in voting, it's not pointless. I don't think personal feelings should be an ingredient when voting on athletic achievements.

There's no way to get past that, whether it's MVP voting, GOAT lists etc.

Quote:
But that's what makes the world go round, difference of opinions. Without them, change would be slow and stagnation would be the result.

Peace Out My Brother From Another Mother. ✌🏾

And that's the point. The MVP vote is entirely an opinion vote, and as such, you can't legislate how the people who vote formulate their opinion.

✌🏾 Back at ya.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject:

Pretty sure lying about your vaxx status is an on field issue, since you out other players and staff at risk. It’s like a worse version of doping.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject:

The organization, staff, and players were aware of Aaron's vaccination status. I'm thinking they took necessary precautions. As far as I know, Rogers didn't infect any staff member or player.

Try as I may I don't see what a person feels about another has to do with athletic achievements. This is a dilemma that can be easily rectified. Remove emotions (impossible) create guidelines.

As the voting stands I don't see fairness. This thread has unveiled, athleticism is backburned by some. IMO sports is about athletic achievements, not personal feelings.

Turning the voting over to achievements and stats wouldn't remove the mystery and it would instill fairness if the structure included provisions that presented all who play the game a shot at the award, linemen, running backs, receivers, etc. A task of gargantuan proportions.

Just my .02 cents.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject:

The guy acted selfishly and was forced to miss a game because of it—a game his team lost. That's a dick move that had on field implications and that's what Arkush was referring to.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The guy acted selfishly and was forced to miss a game because of it—a game his team lost. That's a dick move that had on field implications and that's what Arkush was referring to.

I agree he acted selfishly and made a dick move. What implications? The Packers are #1 seed with a 1st round bye.

Yes they lost without him, bolstering my position he should be considered for MVP. Most Valuable Player, not Most Valuable Person. LINK

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I agree he acted selfishly and made a dick move. What implications? The Packers are #1 seed with a 1st round bye.

Yes they lost without him, bolstering my position he should be considered for MVP. Most Valuable Player, not Most Valuable Person. LINK

I'm not disputing your choice or your personal reasoning for Rodgers as MVP. My point is simply that saying you Arkush shouldn't be able to vote because you disagree with his isn't reasonable.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I'm not disputing your choice or your personal reasoning for Rodgers as MVP. My point is simply that saying you Arkush shouldn't be able to vote because you disagree with his isn't reasonable.

OK. I respect your position. I just don't agree with it for the reasons stated.

FWIW 7 agree with you 2 with me. 3 think he shouldn't be allowed to vote for any award. I'ma claim those 3.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

OK. I respect your position. I just don't agree with it for the reasons stated.

FWIW 7 agree with you 2 with me. 3 think he shouldn't be allowed to vote for any award. I'ma claim those 3.

Very Trumpian.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: