THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3213, 3214, 3215 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

Ted Cruz is a POS, so much so that when he was little, he wasn't allowed to play in the sandbox because cats kept trying to bury him.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Ted Cruz actually told the truth the other day, calling Jan 6 a terrorist attack on the Capitol. The MAGA crowd reacted to it negatively and then he went to Tucker Carlson's show to apologize for telling the truth. I watched a clip and it was so bizarre, and yet not surprising. And then he tweeted the clip to further embarrass himself.

It won't matter. The GOP will only push back on him if he tries to run for President again. Otherwise, he'll be fine so long as he continues to vote as he has, which he will. For him, he just lost his chance to ever become President which, frankly, he never really had a chance at anyway.

Both parties have inter-party turmoil. It only goes so far because there isn't much to gain from it in the long run. If only Americans felt the same way when it comes to unity and foreign policy.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject:

Was walking my dog this morning and saw a woman with a trump 2020 beanie on. I wanted so badly to call her an idiot or a Trumptard or insurrectionist, but I held my tongue. I thought, how could you wear that crap nowadays and support such a bad human being?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Was walking my dog this morning and saw a woman with a trump 2020 beanie on. I wanted so badly to call her an idiot or a Trumptard or insurrectionist, but I held my tongue. I thought, how could you wear that crap nowadays and support such a bad human being?

Treat them all like they are not vaccinated. No matter what they tell you.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I think Biden is underappreciated and won't be re-elected. Like Jimmy.

Of course I'll go out and vote for him. And encourage people in my circle to do the same.

I'm just pessimistic. I don't think my efforts will matter. Like my support for Elixabeth Warren didn't matter.

Anti-vaxxer Joe Rogan is the most popular podcast. Anti-vaxxer people like Candace Owens are making millions. COVID is raging. Gas prices are stupid high. Inflation is rough.

We have 2 more years. Alot can change before then and now. But you are being naive if you think Biden is the favorite to beat Trump in 2024 right now.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
But you are being naive if you think Biden is the favorite to beat Trump in 2024 right now.

So you believe that if it is Biden v Trump in 2024, there are going to people who voted for Biden in 2020 who are going to jump over to Trump?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject:

There will be states compromised by Republican laws and policies that were not in 2020.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject:

NMLaker wrote:
There will be states compromised by Republican laws and policies that were not in 2020.

It look that way but that's a different issue.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
But you are being naive if you think Biden is the favorite to beat Trump in 2024 right now.

So you believe that if it is Biden v Trump in 2024, there are going to people who voted for Biden in 2020 who are going to jump over to Trump?

In an absolute sense. Of course. If you are informed. Party switching in that way is absurd. But sure, some people will do it. Alot of voters aren't informed. All they see is the gas prices driving to work. Or X person on the internet talking about conspiracies.

The more important subsection, is people staying home. People left of the GOP. And that's on Manchin and Sinema.

They have humanized "liberals selling out". Seems like a decade ago. But Dems across the country... scatch that. Lets be more specific. Dems in Georgia, who got us the 2 Dem Senator seats to make it 50-50 were promised things that Manchin and Sinema will never let happen to this day.

If promises are made, and not kept. The voters who showed up and voted in 2020 wont in 2022 and 2024. We can all tell our friends to show up. But i don't think it'll make a difference. Hope I'm wrong though.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

In an absolute sense. Of course. If you are informed. Party switching in that way is absurd. But sure, some people will do it. Alot of voters aren't informed. All they see is the gas prices driving to work. Or X person on the internet talking about conspiracies.

The more important subsection, is people staying home. People left of the GOP. And that's on Manchin and Sinema.

They have humanized "liberals selling out". Seems like a decade ago. But Dems across the country... scatch that. Lets be more specific. Dems in Georgia, who got us the 2 Dem Senator seats to make it 50-50 were promised things that Manchin and Sinema will never let happen to this day.

If promises are made, and not kept. The voters who showed up and voted in 2020 wont in 2022 and 2024. We can all tell our friends to show up. But i don't think it'll make a difference. Hope I'm wrong though.

Not a problem there, thanks. Been through a bunch of Presidential elections in my life.

The dynamics you mention are certainly factors in any election. And if the Republicans can manage to get a candidate not named Trump to run against Biden, then I fully anticipate those factors to weigh heavily in key states that went Biden's way in 2020. There were plenty of people in 2020 who weren't voting for Biden, but were voting against Trump. Many of those people will go back to voting Republican.

But if there's a Biden v Trump II, it's not going to be a typical general election. Trump will no doubt have his base solidly locked away, and that's going to be a factor, because those people will definitely show up to vote in an effort to get "revenge" of sorts. But there's been nothing that Trump has done since he left office that's is going to lure new voters he didn't have in 2020. Of the people that voted against Trump in 2020, the numbers of them that are going to think, "you know what, having seen Biden in action, Trump's the better option" is going to be insignificant. Particularly when it comes head to head comparing what they did and did not accomplish, what the atmosphere was during their respective terms.

Bottomline, if it's Trump/Biden in 2024, it won't be people shifting from Biden to Trump that's going to be a problem. It will be other things. I can see what happened in 2016 happening again—that being disillusioned voters staying home or voting third party because they somehow don't feel Biden did "enough". But even then, I don't think the kind of voter apathy that existed in 2016 is going to occur in 2024. The country has been through so much and changed so much. But the biggest issue affecting the outcome in 2024 will be the acts of voter suppression in the red states that are being set up.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject:

^I hope you're right! Nobody wants 4 more years of that orange turd less than me.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject:

There is a reason that Mitch McConnel has jumped off the Trump bandwagon. He knows that Trump is a dead weight on the Republican party. He is looking long term. He knows that if Trump is the candidate in '24, no matter how poorly he can paint the Biden administration, it won't matter - that election will be about choosing Trump or someone else. Mitch also knows that other republicans can't jump ship like Mitch because they aren't safe like he is. They will get primaried. Mitch knows they are being held hostage and that, in purple states or purple districts, the farther to the right extreme Trump takes them, the more likely those candidates are going to lose a general election.

From every perspective, Trump does more harm to the Republicans than good. That said, voter fatigue is a real thing. If the Dem voters are apathetic and disillusioned, its possible that even Trump won't galvanize them enough to show up.

I'm really curious to see what happens in the midterms. Lets say there is a red wave. Do Dem voters show up in '24 fearing another red wave then as well? Or lets say there is a blue wave, does that energize the Dem base or give them a false sense of security? And what happens if there isn't much movement either way? Dems keep Congress, but just by an even slimmer margin in the house... how do voters in '24 react then?

Lastly, I'm really curious to see what happens with the youth vote. We keep hearing that the youth of this nation is finally going to show up and vote. There should be a lot of new voters in '22 and even more in '24. A lot of older voters have passed away, and continue to pass away, as well, predominantly in Republican states. What affect will all that have?

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject:

My biggest worry is that democracy, rule of law, and functioning political institutions aren't the priority for a majority of the population, at least the electorate that regularly votes in elections. The people that gave Biden the margin of victory are the same people that gave the Republican candidate the victory in Virginia. And when you ask these people what they worry about the most, it's stuff like CRT. They didn't like Trump personally, and opted to vote for Biden, and then voted for a guy who belongs to the same party as Trump but is perceived as nicer, even though his policies would be just as destructive.

And then I see people like DeSantis. He has either received assurances from Trump's people that Trump won't actually run, or he hopes Trump is sick or dies in the meantime. I don't think anyone beats Trump in the primary as long as he's breathing. And if DeSantis is the nominee, he can run without Trump's baggage and win in states where voter suppression and other shenanigans occur. And if the Republicans control the House in 2024, they can give him the victory even if he loses, or just refuse to certify a Democratic candidate's victory.

I'm very worried. And I'm worried because not enough people are worried. As I said earlier, the suburban moderates aren't as attached to democracy and rule of law as we want them to be. They simply hated Trump personally. But they won't hate DeSantis and other Republican potential candidates.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
My biggest worry is that democracy, rule of law, and functioning political institutions aren't the priority for a majority of the population, at least the electorate that regularly votes in elections. The people that gave Biden the margin of victory are the same people that gave the Republican candidate the victory in Virginia. And when you ask these people what they worry about the most, it's stuff like CRT. They didn't like Trump personally, and opted to vote for Biden, and then voted for a guy who belongs to the same party as Trump but is perceived as nicer, even though his policies would be just as destructive.

And then I see people like DeSantis. He has either received assurances from Trump's people that Trump won't actually run, or he hopes Trump is sick or dies in the meantime. I don't think anyone beats Trump in the primary as long as he's breathing. And if DeSantis is the nominee, he can run without Trump's baggage and win in states where voter suppression and other shenanigans occur. And if the Republicans control the House in 2024, they can give him the victory even if he loses, or just refuse to certify a Democratic candidate's victory.

I'm very worried. And I'm worried because not enough people are worried. As I said earlier, the suburban moderates aren't as attached to democracy and rule of law as we want them to be. They simply hated Trump personally. But they won't hate DeSantis and other Republican potential candidates.

Right. What you’re seeing are three trends:

1. The total move to fact free white nationalist autocracy among the GOP base. This is harmful in the sense that they are turning out more and that due to the vagaries of state size they have outsized influence, but we were never reaching them and they are a minority.

2. The somewhat successful campaign to splinter the democratic coalition by tribe (which is why there’s a shift of the Latin vote, for example).

3. The heavy messaging to the “soft middle” that just wants all the big bad politics stuff to go away and their latte, lawn, and vacation to be fabulous and reliable. That’s a group that swings higher and yon.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
And if the Republicans can manage to get a candidate not named Trump to run against Biden, then I fully anticipate those factors to weigh heavily in key states that went Biden's way in 2020. There were plenty of people in 2020 who weren't voting for Biden, but were voting against Trump. Many of those people will go back to voting Republican.

Wilt wrote:
They simply hated Trump personally. But they won't hate DeSantis and other Republican potential candidates.

Omar Little wrote:

3. The heavy messaging to the “soft middle” that just wants all the big bad politics stuff to go away and their latte, lawn, and vacation to be fabulous and reliable. That’s a group that swings higher and yon.

I see these people who swung enough for Biden in 2020 , as only doing it cause of the COVID debacle. Alot of them before March 2020 were praising Trump for the economy and saying "even though I don't like the way he tweets ...."

I'd actually feel better if Republicans nominate someone other than Trump. That would alienate the crazy part of their coalition.

But I guess less Dem voters would be motivated to vote too.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
And if the Republicans can manage to get a candidate not named Trump to run against Biden, then I fully anticipate those factors to weigh heavily in key states that went Biden's way in 2020. There were plenty of people in 2020 who weren't voting for Biden, but were voting against Trump. Many of those people will go back to voting Republican.

Wilt wrote:
They simply hated Trump personally. But they won't hate DeSantis and other Republican potential candidates.

Omar Little wrote:

I see these people who swung enough for Biden in 2020 , as only doing it cause of the COVID debacle. Alot of them before March 2020 were praising Trump for the economy and saying "even though I don't like the way he tweets ...."

I'd actually feel better if Republicans nominate someone other than Trump. That would alienate the crazy part of their coalition.

But I guess less Dem voters would be motivated to vote too.

"Fewer" Dem voters. (sorry, it's grammar thing I can't ignore . . . I'm like Stanos Baratheon in that regard)

Dems, at least traditionally, are the ones that show up to vote. I'm not really worried about them failing to follow through in these important times. It's the twits on the left who think they are being "progressive" by putting everything in danger with their "protest" votes or withholding their vote.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject:

I just cannot believe we're legitimately talking about a presidential election between 2 men who would be 83 and 79 years old at inauguration..
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
I just cannot believe we're legitimately talking about a presidential election between 2 men who would be 83 and 79 years old at inauguration..

That is absolutely the least of the problems we are facing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Murdock wrote:

That is absolutely the least of the problems we are facing.

Fair enough, I've seen my own and everyone around me's physical and cognitive decline as we've aged and I view it as a very real concern. I want someone in office nearer their peak physical and mental fitness.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject:

If Trump was 15 years younger, he would have been just as bad, probably worse. And he wasn't a terrible president because he didn't have prior political experience. He was the way he was because he's a malignant narcissist, which translates into authoritarian tendencies with the attainment of political power. And the people that gravitated to him have those same tendencies.

Biden is surrounded by good, competent people. Every decision he makes comes after valuable advice. Age is the least of my concerns when it comes to Biden's performance as president.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
If Trump was 15 years younger, he would have been just as bad, probably worse. And he wasn't a terrible president because he didn't have prior political experience. He was the way he was because he's a malignant narcissist, which translates into authoritarian tendencies with the attainment of political power. And the people that gravitated to him have those same tendencies.

Biden is surrounded by good, competent people. Every decision he makes comes after valuable advice. Age is the least of my concerns when it comes to Biden's performance as president.

If Trump was 15 years younger... DeSantis, gotta watch out for this dude, he is poised to inherit the Trumpers
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Ted Cruz is a POS, so much so that when he was little, he wasn't allowed to play in the sandbox because cats kept trying to bury him.

No Nut November abstain when they see Ted Sausageless Reek Cruz
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I'm not a politician, I'm a constituent. As such I have opinions as to the decisions made and other things concerning the presidency.

IMO Biden is too political. I think he should take the gloves off. He's starting to strike back at Repuklicans which is a good thing. It shows strength.

I think, of late, he's changing course on voting rights. Stacy Abrams may be causing him to take a stronger stance.

I'm not worried about his age. IMO he's slow on the uptake but gets there. That's a good thing because he takes time to assimilate. He's not perfect but to date, he hasn't made any major errors.

I'm concerned, not worried about 2024.

As I amend this post President Biden is speaking in Georgia. He's hitting hard on voting rights. The President is starting to take the gloves off.

His speech is powerful. He still has a problem with coughing while speaking.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I think he should take the gloves off. He's starting to strike back at Repuklicans which is a good thing. It shows strength.

Give Em Hell Harry used to talk sh about the Rs in public speeches all the time. Biden is an accommodating type. One of those who believes there are still decent folks that side w/ DT. He's wrong. If it's just a PC thing he does and he realizes that Trumpers are conspiracy theory motivated idiots and bigots, then I agree, he should impugn Trump's ass in speeches frequently. In other times where Rs weren't trying to cravenly deny votes and overturn results, Joe could've remained PC, but the fire is threa'nin our very street today. Burns like a red coat carpet, mad bull lost its way. Gimme shelter, Jodeke.

I agree that Biden is milquetoast in that respect and he was there for 8 years of the same w/ Barack. Dems and their voters have eaten so much crap from these reptilian Repubs over the past 6 years that it's a depressing thing to still see some Dems who are in Candy Land as to the malignancy coming from the right. Cheney and Kinzinger (who's outtie) aren't our "good" Repub counterparts who make well-considered opinions about Americans' needs, they voted down the line w/ DT and continue to play that team BS in Congress.

That whole game began w/ Newt in the 90s. The Repubs went apesh over Bill Clinton just because he won, same w/ Barack, but more sinister. I remember a funny line from Maher about how they just can't cope when someone finally pulls their old, liver-spotted Crypt Keeper hand off of the lever of power for one minute. I hate those yucks, Jodie. Biden can accommodate, but NPZ is filled with hate. Sounds like a Rev. Jesse line.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I think he should take the gloves off. He's starting to strike back at Repuklicans which is a good thing. It shows strength.

Give Em Hell Harry used to talk sh about the Rs in public speeches all the time. Biden is an accommodating type. One of those who believes there are still decent folks that side w/ DT. He's wrong. If it's just a PC thing he does and he realizes that Trumpers are conspiracy theory motivated idiots and bigots, then I agree, he should impugn Trump's ass in speeches frequently. In other times where Rs weren't trying to cravenly deny votes and overturn results, Joe could've remained PC, but the fire is threa'nin our very street today. Burns like a red coat carpet, mad bull lost its way. Gimme shelter, Jodeke.

I agree that Biden is milquetoast in that respect and he was there for 8 years of the same w/ Barack. Dems and their voters have eaten so much crap from these reptilian Repubs over the past 6 years that it's a depressing thing to still see some Dems who are in Candy Land as to the malignancy coming from the right. Cheney and Kinzinger (who's outtie) aren't our "good" Repub counterparts who make well-considered opinions about Americans' needs, they voted down the line w/ DT and continue to play that team BS in Congress.

That whole game began w/ Newt in the 90s. The Repubs went apesh over Bill Clinton just because he won, same w/ Barack, but more sinister. I remember a funny line from Maher about how they just can't cope when someone finally pulls their old, liver-spotted Crypt Keeper hand off of the lever of power for one minute. I hate those yucks, Jodie. Biden can accommodate, but NPZ is filled with hate. Sounds like a Rev. Jesse line.

Give Em Hell was a 2 term president.

I'm concerned about 2024. I don't see a strong Democrat candidate unless Joe Biden runs. I like Kamala but, for lack of a better term, she doesn't seem to have IT!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3213, 3214, 3215 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 3214 of 3663
Jump to: