Lakers sign Darren Collison and Stanley Johnson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Sign him for a 1+1 with the second season partial guarantee. Easy guy to trade in the offseason if you don't want him, as part of a bigger trade, because second year won't be fully guaranteed. If he plays well, you keep him for next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Really rooting for Stanley here. Local kid. Laker fan. Plays with heart and effort, and you *need* those guys to be a competitive team. Just hit 3's at a decent clip (eg as MSJT said), and we fine.
tj24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Sign him for a 1+1 with the second season partial guarantee. Easy guy to trade in the offseason if you don't want him, as part of a bigger trade, because second year won't be fully guaranteed. If he plays well, you keep him for next year.

That’s the hope

He’s looking to stick somewhere so he should be all over the stability
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject:

I still remember Damian Jones drove all the way to LA after he got a call from Rob (at least that's what I recall of the story). We need guys like this who want to be here and are willing to do the dirty work. Stanley reminds me of Dame Jones.

Rooting for him
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
I still remember Damian Jones drove all the way to LA after he got a call from Rob (at least that's what I recall of the story). We need guys like this who want to be here and are willing to do the dirty work. Stanley reminds me of Dame Jones.

Rooting for him

They screwed up the Jones deal hopefully they don't make the same mistake here.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

Rooting for him

I like DJones too but how is he that much better than Dwight?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

Rooting for him

Exactly. I like the guy, but his 5 points and 4 rebounds aren't any more impactful than Dwight's 5 points and 5 rebounds.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
governator wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

Rooting for him

Exactly. I like the guy, but his 5 points and 4 rebounds aren't any more impactful than Dwight's 5 points and 5 rebounds.

I would have loved to have him over DJ without a doubt but i'm taking Dwight all day over him still for this season.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject:

It's time to drop Darren Collison from the title of this thread
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
governator wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

Rooting for him

The thing with Jones is about how the Lakers make roster decisions. Jones was doing well and was clearly willing to grind. But instead LA let him go to bring in the name (Drummond). Andre was not willing to work and sulked over his role. We've repeatedly prioritized name over guys who bring their lunch pail, except in the title year.

Not to say anything negative about Rondo, but we could have looked at a guy like GPII. At least shifting from Rondo to Stanley would start to reverse that trend. A scenario where we swapped DeAndre for Jones would be a similar transition (though it's not going to happen).

We just need more players who are willing to put in the work.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it was just me, but did anyone think Stanley was much better than Ariza? Ariza looks old and slow like DAJ. He's nearly cooked, IMO. Best bet is to invest in Stanley on a 1+1 (Second year partial guarantee). You have enough washed up players. Give this guy a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Maybe it was just me, but did anyone think Stanley was much better than Ariza? Ariza looks old and slow like DAJ. He's nearly cooked, IMO. Best bet is to invest in Stanley on a 1+1 (Second year partial guarantee). You have enough washed up players. Give this guy a chance.

On defense, no doubt. He is more physical.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

On defense, no doubt. He is more physical.

Ariza doesn't cut, either. He just stands at the 3 point line. Stanley moves and tries to get into the post, battle for rebounds, etc.

It's been solid going from Monk as a starter over Baze/Ellington. Next could be starting Reaves or Nunn when he comes back from Bradley. Nothing against Avery, but I think the more energy and movement we get around Bron/WB/AD, the better a team we will be on both ends.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject:

So Johnson most likely sign his first 10 day non-hardship contract tomorrow.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject:

The way he played he needs to sign much more than 10 days.
Eagle2904
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:30 am    Post subject:

Just checking if I can still log in here. Been a long time.

That being said, I think Stanley Johnson is one of those players you don't look at the stats to determine his value. He hustles and makes winning plays. If they come cheap (and he does) the Lakers can't afford to let players like that go. Can't all be chiefs, you need some regular Indians too.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
KobeStark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject:

Stanley Johnson is the exact type of player that this Laker team needs
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject:

KobeStark wrote:

There's a reason Stanley was available for us to sign. He's the very definition of a lottery bust - think Kwame Brown.

He does seem to have more BBIQ than Kwame, however (not a huge accomplishment).

BUT LeBron has revived several guys' careers, so maybe this is a new lease for the Stanimal.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
KobeStark wrote:

There's a reason Stanley was available for us to sign. He's the very definition of a lottery bust - think Kwame Brown.

BUT LeBron has revived several guys' careers, so maybe this is a new lease for the Stanimal.

There is always a story why a first round bust is available at a later time what is it maybe mature ration right fit etc. etc. all I know is Stanley makes his free throws
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
KobeStark wrote:

To me, "lottery bust" is too often used for highly-picked players who just don't turn out to be "saviors". Sure, there are 1 or 2 generational players every few draft years, but not every lottery pick in a given year would be a lottery pick in another depending on the sheer level of talent in each specific year.

It's a Catch-22 - teams most desperately in need of saviors often lack the infrastructure (coaching, player development, management, training staff, scouting, facilities, etc.) that is VITAL to maximizing the growth and skill progression of young players, especially for those raw-talent players that are most often drafted in the lottery.

Look at Monk. He was drafted by Charlotte, and they are NOT known for being a model, state-of-the art organization. And now everyone here is praying we can lock him up after this season.

Stanley Johnson was not the next Artest or Pippen on defense coming out of college, but he can still be a solid - maybe not HOF or All-Star, but SOLID - rotation player for defense/ hustle purposes. And that's exactly what we need.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
KobeStark wrote:

To me, "lottery bust" is too often used for highly-picked players who just don't turn out to be "saviors". Sure, there are 1 or 2 generational players every few draft years, but not every lottery pick in a given year would be a lottery pick in another depending on the sheer level of talent in each specific year.

It's a Catch-22 - teams most desperately in need of saviors often lack the infrastructure (coaching, player development, management, training staff, scouting, facilities, etc.) that is VITAL to maximizing the growth and skill progression of young players, especially for those raw-talent players that are most often drafted in the lottery.

Look at Monk. He was drafted by Charlotte, and they are NOT known for being a model, state-of-the art organization. And now everyone here is praying we can lock him up after this season.

Stanley Johnson was not the next Artest or Pippen on defense coming out of college, but he can still be a solid - maybe not HOF or All-Star, but SOLID - rotation player for defense/ hustle purposes. And that's exactly what we need.

Don't get me wrong - I'm rooting for Stanley and I hope (for the Lakers' sake) he turns into a rotation player/contributor. He was out there, however, for a long time without a contract.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject:

still no news? kind of weird

with Stanley, Monk, Reaves, Nunn, THT getting more minutes, we suddenly became younger. Bron, Melo, RW, Dwight are the only older guys to get minutes.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I'm with you Wolf...it's not close between Ariza and Johnson....Ariza is washed...period...man does he look slow...When we resign Johnson and Nunn comes back I think we still need to cut someone...Ariza, Baze or DJ.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
KobeStark wrote:

Johnson was known for good defense/poor offense coming out of college and his pro career has reflected that. There hasn’t been much growth from him in the NBA. For a minimum contract you can live with that.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Stanley will still be a Laker.

Quote:
The Lakers will likely sign small ball big man Stanley Johnson to a 10-day contract on Thursday, league sources told ESPN.

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1478873097134510081

Quote:
The Lakers are likely going to ... re-sign Johnson to a 10-day contract this week before eventually signing him for the rest of the season.

https://theathletic.com/3052210/2022/01/05/lakers-small-ball-lineups-a-part-of-developing-identity-you-use-your-gut-you-use-your-instincts/?source=emp_shared_article
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14
Jump to: