Betty Marion White Ludden (1/17/1922-12/31/2021)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Betty Marion White Ludden (1/17/1922-12/31/2021)

Betty White Dies: Legendary ‘Golden Girls’ Star and Multiple Emmy Award Winner Was 99

Quote:
“Sue Ann was a huge career mood change,” White says of the character she lovingly refers to as the “neighborhood nymphomaniac” in her 2011 book If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won’t). “The Mary Tyler Moore Show aired for seven years altogether. I came on in the fourth season, in what was to have been a one-shot appearance. The most episodes I ever did during one season was 12 of 22—the other seasons, I did only 5 or 6 episodes. But people still remember Sue Ann. She was such a mess!”

She won her second and third Emmy Awards for her portrayal of Sue Ann and a Grammy Award in 2011 for Best Spoken Word Recording for the audio version of the bestselling book. Across her eight decades-long career, White was honored with a total of 8 Emmy Awards including the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2015.

The Golden Girls came knocking in 1985 landing the role of sex-crazed Blanche Devereaux in a comedy series that followed four widows sharing their lives and a home with an obscene amount of wicker in sunny Miami. White would go on to play Rose, the role originally offered to Maude star Rue McClanahan. The pair swapped at the suggestion of the pilot’s director Jay Sandrich—and the rest is history.

https://deadline.com/2021/12/betty-white-dead-legendary-golden-girls-star-amultiple-emmy-award-winner-1234903146/
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Universally loved. Damn, she was supposed to live to be a thousand.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Horrible end to a crappy year. She almost made it to 100.

Back in the 1950's she produced her own variety show, hired a female director and featured a black cast member. When TV stations in the South threatened to boycott she said too bad.

RIP Queen.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject:

She was a badass.

RIP
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject:

She was golden.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

There was an article about her upcoming 100th birthday last week too.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

RIP
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

She is in the short list of true TV icons. RIP
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
President Biden @POTUS

Betty White brought a smile to the lips of generations of Americans. She’s a cultural icon who will be sorely missed. Jill and I are thinking of her family and all those who loved her this New Year’s Eve.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject:

RIP. On the Mount Rushmore of comics.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the love, thank you for the laughs, thank you for being an ally and true friend to the Black Community, thank you for your support of the LGBTQ+ community, thank you for your love and advocacy to protect animals...Ms. Betty, we just thank you!! We love you and you will be missed.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Betty White was one of those people who made the world better by being alive in it. The world got a little colder today. What an amazing woman and what an amazing last act.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject:

RIP
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Ryan Reynolds [AT] VancityReynolds
The world looks different now. She was great at defying expectation. She managed to grow very old and somehow, not old enough. We’ll miss you, Betty. Now you know the secret.

Seth Meyers AT sethmeyers
RIP Betty White, the only SNL host I ever saw get a standing ovation at the after party. A party at which she ordered a vodka and a hotdog and stayed til the bitter end.

George Takei [AT] GeorgeTakei
Our national treasure, Betty White, has passed just before her 100th birthday. Our Sue Ann Nivens, our beloved Rose Nylund, has joined the heavens to delight the stars with her inimitable style, humor, and charm. A great loss to us all. We shall miss her dearly.

Dionne Warwick (@) dionnewarwick
Another brilliant talent has made her transition. I had the pleasure of getting to know Betty White and shared a few giggles with her. May she rest in well-earned peace. ❤️

Viola Davis _at_ violadavis
RIP Betty White! Man did I think you would live forever. You blew a huge hole in this world that will inspire generations. Rest in glorious peace….you’ve earned your wings ❤️❤️❤

LeVar Burton AT levarburton
Y’all, with the passing of #BettyWhite we have lost one of the best humans ever!

roxane gay @ rgay
RIP to Betty White who was charming, delightful, hilarious, talented and unproblematic for 99.9 years.

ROSIE (@) Rosie
rest well legend #BettyWhite

Steve Martin ( a t ) SteveMartinToGo
In 1974, I was an obscure opening act for Linda Ronstadt at the Troubadour in Los Angeles. Passing through the lobby before the show, I saw Betty White and her husband Allen Ludden waiting in line.

Debbie Allen _at_ msdebbieallen
#BettyWhite we will celebrate your 100th birthday and the many decades of Joy you have given the world. Rest in Power. 🙏🏼❤️💋

kerry washington [ at ] kerrywashington
Oh Dear Lord. Heaven just got a new superstar to celebrate with tonight! An icon, a legend, a trailblazer, a badass, and a ray of sunshine who gifted us creative genius, joy and laughter for 99 years. Thank you for your bold and generous spirit. Rest In Peace #BettyWhite ❤️❤️❤️

Ryan Seacrest [AT] RyanSeacrest
All of us in Times Square and around the world are grieving the loss of Betty White. She was a TV pioneer who paved the way for so many people. Beyond that, she showed us what you can accomplish in a lifetime through kindness and humor. Rest in peace to a true American icon.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I figured everyone talking about her 100th was going to jinx it.

4 people from the Mary Tyler Moore Show have passed this year alone.

I also have to wonder what 2022 will be like if Betty couldn't survive that like she has everything else.

RIP
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject:

It is my sincere hope that it was unexpected and in her sleep. As lousy as her passing is for us, going out peacefully while still on her game and loving life and not seeing it coming is a good exit.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Same birthday as my mom. I wish she had made it to the century mark, but what an amazing life she led.

Up there with Mary Tyler Moore and Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the best female sitcom stars of all time.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I remember watching the Golden Girls back in Yugoslavia as a kid in the 80s, early 90s..

IIRC, she was the youngest character but was actually the oldest in real life. And she outlived them all.

What an amazing life she had. May she rest in peace.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject:

My father was her personal cabbie for a while. Sweet woman. RIP.

And, yes, she was a big tipper
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject:

My mother once said that as she aged, at first she was worried about dying before her friends. After a while, she worried about not…
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
My mother once said that as she aged, at first she was worried about dying before her friends. After a while, she worried about not…

Your mother had a wonderful sense of humor
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject:

As the owner of not one but two Golden Girls shirts, and as someone who has seen each Golden Girls episode probably 10 times (some probably 20-30 times), I can't tell you how sad I am over this. I genuinely can't think of a celebrity who was as beloved and accomplished as she was. She was such an incredible entertainer with incomparable talent and comedic timing. And lest anyone think that all she could do was comedy, she did a Lifetime movie in 2011 called The Lost Valentine, in which she has a gut-wrenching scene where she finally breaks down emotionally over the loss of her husband. I'm sorry, but watching Betty White bawling had the same effect on me. Niagara Falls.

Her kindness was just palpable. She had a deep love of animals and her tireless work in supporting animal rights causes was legendary, and she was a staunch ally of the LGBTQ community, as has already been pointed out. And yes, she refused efforts by racists to remove Arthur Duncan from appearing on her variety show in 1954, which caused her show to get canceled. You want to talk about standing up for principle and what you know is right? She talked the talk and walked the walk.

You were an extraordinary woman, Betty, and the world is worse off without you in it. Thank you for being a friend.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
As the owner of not one but two Golden Girls shirts, and as someone who has seen each Golden Girls episode probably 10 times (some probably 20-30 times), I can't tell you how sad I am over this.

Then you might remember my brother-in-law:

Toilet Delivery😀

My daughter and I watched the entire run of GG this past summer at her request. She had no idea her Uncle Alan was on the show not once, but twice, so the anticipation of watching her surprise made the watch extra fun.

And of course, he has said that the best part of doing the show was being around Betty.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
My father was her personal cabbie for a while. Sweet woman. RIP.

And, yes, she was a big tipper

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
As the owner of not one but two Golden Girls shirts, and as someone who has seen each Golden Girls episode probably 10 times (some probably 20-30 times), I can't tell you how sad I am over this.

Then you might remember my brother-in-law:

Toilet Delivery😀

My daughter and I watched the entire run of GG this past summer at her request. She had no idea her Uncle Alan was on the show not once, but twice, so the anticipation of watching her surprise made the watch extra fun.

And of course, he has said that the best part of doing the show was being around Betty.

NO WAY! And he was Mr. Haha too! The production did this with more than just your brother-in-law, hiring actors or actresses that appeared in more than one episode in a different role.

Wow, this is really great. Just watched his scenes again. So good!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: