Can someone provide hope for the future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

[quote="PenG_"][quote="BILBJH"]
Sojo wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Cut our losses and rebuild. Another LBJ stat padding farewell tour is not my idea of fun for the next five years.

I can enjoy young players finding their way to .500. Not this.

Been a Laker fan 35 years but won't be watching till LeBron is gone (or at least watching like I once did). I gave the man a chance though I knew he was capable of doing what he has done but even before the bubble he couldn't help himself. 5 more years of LeBron (and most likely losing) would effectively terminate my support of the Lakers as a whole. Like you said, he doesn't deserve a farewell tour as a Laker with one chip (and while Kobe deserved his, I wasn't too happy with the results either). Say what you want but every 10 years the Lakers should be going deep into the postseason 5 of those years (and hopefully winning one or two) with MAYBE 4 years making the playoffs (1st and 2nd round) and 1 not. This team should never be compared to other teams and their performances. That is mediocre thinking and should never be a Laker mentality. Other owners are there just to make money, or have the clout of owning a team and couldn't care less about the team's performances. Maybe half a dozen wants a team that wins. We should always want to win (allowing for some restructuring after dynasties).

So my hope can come if the FO realizes they DON'T have to hitch their wagon to the remaining years of LBJ and actually get something for him instead of being fleeced by a player that doesn't deserve that kind of loyalty. I mean, give me a break, Kobe WAS Laker blood and even then we grumbled on this board about what he was given. How much more for a dude that's never shown the same kind of loyalty to a franchise and is actually diminishing his legacy the more he drags this on (I mean people are now starting to put Curry ahead of him, regardless of what you may think of him)_

LBJ might be a better player than Curry... but not a better teammate.

I fell for his high assist rate in the same way I fell for Russ's at one point...

Oh, they get a lot of assists so they must be unselfish players.

LBJ could have used Russ to his advantage and rested more... but once I heard he was playing 35 minutes plus... I knew he was about stat padding this year.

Team's getting blown out... there goes LBJ, still playing trying to catch Kareem.

I feel the same way as you... if LBJ or Klutch ends up taking over the team or buying it... I'm done.

I've followed the Lakers for over 50 years and I can't bear to see this mercenary mentality overtake the team... trading our players like this is a video game.

So now efficient scoring and playmaking is "stat padding"? Do you listen to yourself sometimes?
Lebron has always impacted the game in a positive way. To assert otherwise is asinine.

Russ took the shots we want him to take last night (15 of his 20 at the rim), but he had a rough night finishing. But go ahead with your narratives....

He has impacted the game in possibly the most positive way as a player... but not as a GM.

He took bad teams to the finals over and over.

But this year, when I expected him to rest, he kept playing. He's no longer capable of willing mediocre teams to a title run... so why not achieve your personal goals, is my guess.

If you want to continue to put lipstick on this pig... be my guest.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

[quote="BILBJH"][quote="PenG_"]
Sojo wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Cut our losses and rebuild. Another LBJ stat padding farewell tour is not my idea of fun for the next five years.

Been a Laker fan 35 years but won't be watching till LeBron is gone (or at least watching like I once did). I gave the man a chance though I knew he was capable of doing what he has done but even before the bubble he couldn't help himself. 5 more years of LeBron (and most likely losing) would effectively terminate my support of the Lakers as a whole. Like you said, he doesn't deserve a farewell tour as a Laker with one chip (and while Kobe deserved his, I wasn't too happy with the results either). Say what you want but every 10 years the Lakers should be going deep into the postseason 5 of those years (and hopefully winning one or two) with MAYBE 4 years making the playoffs (1st and 2nd round) and 1 not. This team should never be compared to other teams and their performances. That is mediocre thinking and should never be a Laker mentality. Other owners are there just to make money, or have the clout of owning a team and couldn't care less about the team's performances. Maybe half a dozen wants a team that wins. We should always want to win (allowing for some restructuring after dynasties).

So my hope can come if the FO realizes they DON'T have to hitch their wagon to the remaining years of LBJ and actually get something for him instead of being fleeced by a player that doesn't deserve that kind of loyalty. I mean, give me a break, Kobe WAS Laker blood and even then we grumbled on this board about what he was given. How much more for a dude that's never shown the same kind of loyalty to a franchise and is actually diminishing his legacy the more he drags this on (I mean people are now starting to put Curry ahead of him, regardless of what you may think of him)_

LMAO putting Curry ahead oh him in what? Is Curry a better player than Lebron right now, yeah that could certainly be argued.

Curry is a more skilled player than LBJ.... but as size is an important component of success in sports like basketball or football, you cannot penalize LBJ for being so skilled at his size any more than you can penalize Shaq for being dominant.

But if Curry were LBJ's size, he'd be the better player by far... just like LBJ would be better than Shaq if he were his size.

And?

You are what you are. A player's greatness is not penalized by his physical gifts.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

[quote="PenG_"][quote="BILBJH"]
PenG_ wrote:
Sojo wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

LMAO putting Curry ahead oh him in what? Is Curry a better player than Lebron right now, yeah that could certainly be argued.

Curry is a more skilled player than LBJ.... but as size is an important component of success in sports like basketball or football, you cannot penalize LBJ for being so skilled at his size any more than you can penalize Shaq for being dominant.

But if Curry were LBJ's size, he'd be the better player by far... just like LBJ would be better than Shaq if he were his size.

And?

You are what you are. A player's greatness is not penalized by his physical gifts.

My point is that it's not absurd to compare Curry to LBJ.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
He has impacted the game in possibly the most positive way as a player... but not as a GM.

But this year, when I expected him to rest, he kept playing. He's no longer capable of willing mediocre teams to a title run... so why not achieve your personal goals, is my guess.

You're absolutely right that this team is a "pig". Lebron knows who Russ is, but he and Pelinka wanted Russ to "be the engine" of the offense.

I see Lebron playing significantly more off ball, setting screens on every possession, and giving this team its only positive, truly impactful lineups. What is it you want him to do when Russ goes 4-15 inside three ft?

Seriously, how would you rather we play that game?

Last edited by PenG_ on Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
My point is that it's not absurd to compare Curry to LBJ.

Well yeah, Curry had one of the best peaks the game has ever seen. Even as only an average defender at his position, his offensive talents are among the greatest of all time. If we're talking about greatness, he's not even greater than KD... much less Kobe or Lebron.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Quote:

You're absolutely right that this team is a "pig". Lebron knows who Russ is, but he and Pelinka wanted Russ to "be the engine" of the offense.

I see Lebron playing significantly more off ball, setting screens on every possession, and giving this team it's only positive, truly impactful lineups. What is it you want him to do when Russ goes 4-15 inside three ft?

How do you explain him playing in the fourth quarter in 20 point blowouts?

He's one of the top five players of all time... I've never argued that point... but instead of resting, he continues to play when he shouldn't.

The only point of signing Russ (before AD's injury) was in my mind so that LBJ could coast all season until the playoffs.

Unfortunately this idea didn't really work so well... so here we are.

If Russ goes 4-15 then LBJ with his high BBIQ should have foreseen this.

Russ just had an off game... but that dunk he missed, he wouldn't have missed five years ago.

All of us fans with average BBIQs knew that Russ's game would diminish with age... because it's largely based on athleticism.

But no, LBJ picks him over keeping his own players and acquiring Hield so yeah I blame him.

I feel bad for Russ, because he really tries hard... he will still have some great games and make some amazing plays... it was funny seeing him overpower Claxton and Bembry in the paint with his energy... but LBJ should have seen this type of decline happen if he was a great GM.

But he isn't. He's a great player who can no longer compensate for his poor personnel choices.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Quote:

I see Lebron playing significantly more off ball, setting screens on every possession, and giving this team it's only positive, truly impactful lineups. What is it you want him to do when Russ goes 4-15 inside three ft?

How do you explain him playing in the fourth quarter in 20 point blowouts?

He's one of the top five players of all time... I've never argued that point... but instead of resting, he continues to play when he shouldn't.

The only point of signing Russ (before AD's injury) was in my mind so that LBJ could coast all season until the playoffs.

Unfortunately this idea didn't really work so well... so here we are.

If Russ goes 4-15 then LBJ with his high BBIQ should have foreseen this.

Russ just had an off game... but that dunk he missed, he wouldn't have missed five years ago.

All of us fans with average BBIQs knew that Russ's game would diminish with age... because it's largely based on athleticism.

But no, LBJ picks him over keeping his own players and acquiring Hield so yeah I blame him.

I feel bad for Russ, because he really tries hard... he will still have some great games and make some amazing plays... it was funny seeing him overpower Claxton and Bembry in the paint with his energy... but LBJ should have seen this type of decline happen if he was a great GM.

But he isn't. He's a great player who can no longer compensate for his poor personnel choices.

Yeah I don't have a rebuttal for that. We were tied with 45 seconds remaining last night, but the point still stands.

There have been many blowouts in which his presence makes little sense. However, playing more minutes is now a necessity for him considering we're a bad team. The non-Lebron lineups were murdered last night.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

Only if you can trade Westbrook. Is anyone out there stupid enough to trade for him. I mean Mitch has been that stupid in the past does he want him? I mean Russ at 20M OK, but 44M? High usage, inefficient, low IQ player who has lost a step and consumes a massive amount of the salary cap. You were better of with Dennis even, simply because he turns it over less and doesn't consume so much of the cap.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Only if you can trade Westbrook. Is anyone out there stupid enough to trade for him. I mean Mitch has been that stupid in the past does he want him? I mean Russ at 20M OK, but 44M? High usage, inefficient, low IQ player who has lost a step and consumes a massive amount of the salary cap. You were better of with Dennis even, simply because he turns it over less and doesn't consume so much of the cap.

Pelinka is the only one I can think of that would trade for Russ. Maybe if we had 3-4 first round picks to add to him.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Also note: the more useless minutes LeBron plays, the more likely he's the next injury. I don't care how much he spends on his body and recovery, too many minutes will cause him to get hurt. It's usually why older players bulk up, just to be able to take more punishment (and it obviously affects their game).
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

Damn I was thinking how the only hope i forsee is if Lebron and AD miss significant time next year and a Russ-led team of minimum vets gets us a top lotto pick.. then i remembered NO would own that pick
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Damn I was thinking how the only hope i forsee is if Lebron and AD miss significant time next year and a Russ-led team of minimum vets gets us a top lotto pick.. then i remembered NO would own that pick

This year is the swap right?

Lakers and Pels trying to see who can be more (bleep)
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

NO gets our unprotected first this next draft.
Swap in 2023 draft
Unprotected 1st in 2024 with the right to defer it to 2025

So actually if Lebron and AD both miss the whole season AND NO wins the lottery we can maybe get the second pick and once again just miss out on a difference-making player.

But the Lakers would be trading the pick anyway, so maybe it brings back a good player.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

NO gets our unprotected first this next draft.
Swap in 2023 draft
Unprotected 1st in 2024 with the right to defer it to 2025

So actually if Lebron and AD both miss the whole season AND NO wins the lottery we can maybe get the second pick and once again just miss out on a difference-making player.

But the Lakers would be trading the pick anyway, so maybe it brings back a good player.

Yikes. Better start winning
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Russ led teams don’t do lottery
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: