Television: New Shows, new seasons, new characters, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 108, 109, 110  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Peaky Blinders is good! Just finished season 1, maybe it’s the accent lol but for real, got that narcos feel a little bit
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Peaky Blinders is good! Just finished season 1, maybe it’s the accent lol but for real, got that narcos feel a little bit

it is so so good. Youre stoked to only be starting it.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Anyone watching the new Wheel of Time series? On Amazon.

I only had a very minor understanding of the books but never actually read them. The show started slow (ep. 1), but has since really picked up. Pretty good. Sort of like LOTR meets Dune with some of the story so far [is a fantasy genre however].
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

I only had a very minor understanding of the books but never actually read them. The show started slow (ep. 1), but has since really picked up. Pretty good. Sort of like LOTR meets Dune with some of the story so far [is a fantasy genre however].

It's getting really good, they're starting to introduce all the different factions (not just light/dark), the canines, the leaf, I like it
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
governator wrote:

it is so so good. Youre stoked to only be starting it.

Season 1 & 2 are really good. Btw, Grace Shelby vs Succession Connor Roy’s gf, hot

Last edited by governator on Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

I'm lousy at keeping up with serials, which makes me resort to binge-watching on weekends or late nights. I finally caught up to the most recent episode of Succession. I don't see why people compare it to King Lear, there is nothing King Lear about the series. King Lear with a tragic character, a man becoming enfeebled mentally and emotionally by senility. There is nothing tragic about the patriarch in Succession, and there isn't a virtuous, deserving sibling (Cordelia) among them.

The siblings in Succession are mired in an endless loop of delusion, self-destruction, and abusive behavior that they cannot escape. The series has more in common with Jean-Paul Sartre's No Exit than Lear. The characters in No Exit are trapped in Hell, and yet the only torture present isn't sulfur and brimstone, the torture is that they cannot escape each other. The patriarch is Hell, the siblings cannot escape him due to their lust for money and power. As a result, their behavior towards each other becomes increasingly toxic as they vie for that CEO seat, which in the end will be forever elusive, and just as impossible to achieve as an escape from Hell.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'm lousy at keeping up with serials, which makes me resort to binge-watching on weekends or late nights. I finally caught up to the most recent episode of Succession. I don't see why people compare it to King Lear, there is nothing King Lear about the series. King Lear with a tragic character, a man becoming enfeebled mentally and emotionally by senility. There is nothing tragic about the patriarch in Succession, and there isn't a virtuous, deserving sibling (Cordelia) among them.

The siblings in Succession are mired in an endless loop of delusion, self-destruction, and abusive behavior that they cannot escape. The series has more in common with Jean-Paul Sartre's No Exit than Lear. The characters in No Exit are trapped in Hell, and yet the only torture present isn't sulfur and brimstone, the torture is that they cannot escape each other. The patriarch is Hell, the siblings cannot escape him due to their lust for money and power. As a result, their behavior towards each other becomes increasingly toxic as they vie for that CEO seat, which in the end will be forever elusive, and just as impossible to achieve as an escape from Hell.

It does feel like a stretched out intro to the final battle between Roy and Kendall so far
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
DrDent wrote:

It's getting really good, they're starting to introduce all the different factions (not just light/dark), the canines, the leaf, I like it

Governator:

Ep. 5 end...just gut-wrenching. Grandma and wife both cried; and even I had a tear in my eye watching that. Series moved from ho-hum, to good, to fantastic. I hope they keep it up.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
governator wrote:
DrDent wrote:

Governator:

Ep. 5 end...just gut-wrenching. Grandma and wife both cried; and even I had a tear in my eye watching that. Series moved from ho-hum, to good, to fantastic. I hope they keep it up.

I started to watch twice but got interrupted. I'm gonna try to bing this weekend.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

It truly goes no farther than that is how Jesse Armstrong and Adam McKay initially pitched it to HBO: King Lear but modern media company. So it stuck. Otherwise, agree
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DrDent wrote:
governator wrote:
DrDent wrote:

Governator:

I started to watch twice but got interrupted. I'm gonna try to bing this weekend.

Keep it up Jo, there’s a lot of intro to the different groups but the story is solid (plenty of side stories) and the visuals are great too
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DrDent wrote:
governator wrote:
DrDent wrote:

Governator:

Keep it up Jo, there’s a lot of intro to the different groups but the story is solid (plenty of side stories) and the visuals are great too

I watched E1&2. I'm not really into it. I'll give it another couple of episodes.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject:

The Expanse is finishing up its final (sixth) season right now on Amazon. It's two episodes in to a six-episode final run and I'm worried about how they'll stick the landing, but after a good fifth season that righted the ship, I hope the last four episodes of this series do gangbuster work.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject:

Just finished watching the first 2 episodes of 1883, the first spinoff and origin story of Yellowstone. Very different due to the years the show is set in, but like Yellowstone it looks very good. Surprised to see Tom Hanks in an episode 2 scene. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are much better than I expected in the leads....and Sam Elliot is great as always.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13991232/

Btw, got a chance to go back and watch the Hulu mini series Dopesick......one of the best series I have watched in recent years. Highly recommend!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9174558/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Keep your eyes out for Gaslit coming to Starz at some point early/mid 2022. It's a Watergate story based John and Martha Mitchell. For those that may not recognize the names, Mitchell was Nixon's Attorney General leading into the Watergate break in. The story focuses on the relationship between he and his wife, who was a real firecracker who spoke her mind. As she becomes aware of what is going on in the administration, the people around her start to gaslight her and go to great lengths in an effort to keep her quiet.

It stars Sean Penn and Julia Roberts and they are both fantastic. Also Dan Stevens (Downtown Abbey) as John Dean with Betty Gilpin (one of my favorites) as his wife and Shea Whigham (Boardwalk Empire) in a great portrayal of G. Gordon Liddy. It's directed by Matt Ross (Gavin Belson on Silicon Valley).

I watched a final Producer's Cut of the pilot episode with my wife, who produced it, and it's spectacular on every level - from performances to production design and everything in between. And I say that even if my wife wasn't involved (though I am quite proud of what she did with an almost impossible task).
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject:

I'm sooooo behind on TV. It's really is a shame. Here's my top 10 list in no particular order for 2021.

Squid Game
Succession
Reservation Dogs
Yellowjackets
Dexter: New Blood
For All Mankind
Loki
Station 11
Mare of Easttown
Foundation

Best comedies:
What We Do in the Shadows
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Dave
South Park Post Covid Special
MacGruber

Because I'm so behind, here's a list of things I want to catch up on, and probably has stuff that can crack that top 10 list.

Godfather of Harlem
The Witcher
White Lotus
Only Murders in the Building
Billions

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I'm sooooo behind on TV. It's really is a shame. Here's my top 10 list in no particular order for 2021.

Squid Game
Succession
Reservation Dogs
Yellowjackets
For All Mankind
Loki
Station 11
Mare of Easttown
Foundation

Best comedies:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Dave
MacGruber

Because I'm so behind, here's a list of things I want to catch up on, and probably has stuff that can crack that top 10 list.

Godfather of Harlem
The Witcher
White Lotus
Billions

That list is an outright failure for not mentioning Ted Lasso.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Squid Game
Succession
Reservation Dogs
Yellowjackets
For All Mankind
Loki
Station 11
Mare of Easttown
Foundation

Best comedies:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Dave
MacGruber

Godfather of Harlem
The Witcher
White Lotus
Billions

Good god. There's so much tv now.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Good god. There's so much tv now.

There's alot of things that would've been movies in the 90s and 00s that are now TV shows.

That big ol' list was just the good stuff. There's alot of stuff I didn't mention. And with the pandemic starting in 2020. There was a bottleneck. And pretty much 2 years worth of scripted TV came out in 2021.

2022 might even be crazier.

My top 3 shows for 2022 are Disney's Obi Wan, Amazon's Lord of the Rings, and Masters of the Air (the sequel to HBO's The Pacific).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject:

I watched The Lost Kitchen on the new Magnolia Network last night. It is about a restaurant in Freedom, ME that is open from May-September I believe. They have 50 seats and you can only get a reservation by postcard, they select the diners in April. The show focused more on the emotional element of food and running a local restaurant than on the food. Episode 1 was really good and in the previews for the upcoming season, they focus on staying successful in the age of COVID.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Just wanted to say the fourth season of Yellowstone is a complete bomb and I don’t think I’m even going to finish it out.

Absolutely awful watch..the show fell off a massive cliff. I don’t know if Sheridan is too busy making 1883 or Mayor of Kingstown or that rodeo documentary but he clearly stopped giving a (bleep) about Yellowstone.

First 3 seasons were great but this current season imo has forever killed the show for me. I don’t mind a few segments or an episode or 3 into the ranch/cowboy life but this entire season has revolved around that theme and it’s way too boring for me. There’s so much wrong with this season that there’s no point in even getting into it.

And the new Dexter season was so awesome.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Just wanted to say the fourth season of Yellowstone is a complete bomb and I don’t think I’m even going to finish it out.

Absolutely awful watch..the show fell off a massive cliff. I don’t know if Sheridan is too busy making 1883 or Mayor of Kingstown or that rodeo documentary but he clearly stopped giving a (bleep) about Yellowstone.

First 3 seasons were great but this current season imo has forever killed the show for me. I don’t mind a few segments or an episode or 3 into the ranch/cowboy life but this entire season has revolved around that theme and it’s way too boring for me. There’s so much wrong with this season that there’s no point in even getting into it.

Was interested in watching Yellowstone from first episode onward whenever it was available on tv or the streaming services that I have. Do seasons 1-3 or some subset have some self-contained story(ies) that resolved during the first seasons, or was nothing substantial really concluded? Not worth it to me to get into a series that does not end a main plot nor even a good subplot satisfactorily. I still have so much old and new stuff never viewed in my queues, tv shows and movies, that probably was going to pass on Yellowstone anyway.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:

Glad you mentioned Mayor Of Kingstown. I'd forgotten about it. I'm gonna do a binge. I was up to E3

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Glad you mentioned Mayor Of Kingstown. I'd forgotten about it. I'm gonna do a binge. I was up to E3

It is entertaining.....but I still have no idea why he (or his brother) does what he does. He clearly is not becoming financially successful.....and I am not sure he does anything beyond delay the inevitable.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Anyone watching YellowJackets on Showtime? There are 2 episodes left, and I feel like it will be impossible to clear up all of my questions in 2 episodes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 73 of 110
Jump to: