NBA assistant says Lakers are bad on defense because ‘they’re old and they can’t stay in front of anyone’

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: NBA assistant says Lakers are bad on defense because ‘they’re old and they can’t stay in front of anyone’

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/11/27/22804835/nba-rumors-assistant-says-lakers-bad-defense-because-theyre-old

lol
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Naw. It is because most of our players are not defensive minded players. The ones that are, are defending well. AD, AB, Bron (when he wants to), Dwight.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject:

ironically the ones that can stay in front of people are old. it's the young ones that can't

they're terrible defensively because they have really poor execution in terms of attention to detail and defensive rebounding. even great defensive possessions end in an easy offensive rebound from some bum who immediately proceeds to score
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject:

No trust, no communication, no discipline.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Everything said thus far is true..

On top of it all i've never seen a team in my life have so many players that consistently complain after calls every single game while also having guys that decide on several other plays to just walk up the court or do a nice slow jog to get that energy back for the next offensive play while our already bad defense gets abused for an easy 2 or 3 depending on whatever the opposition would prefer.

Just absolutely pathetic effort much of the time tbh which is what makes this team so tough to watch. It goes way beyond just them losing, these bad habits don't just magically get better over time if they don't try to start correcting it soon. I never expected them to be anywhere near the best defensive team in the NBA this season but it's been even worse then expected up to this point.

"No trust, no communication, no discipline." is a great short answer though that pretty much sums most of it up.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Everything said thus far is true..

On top of it all i've never seen a team in my life have so many players that consistently complain after calls every single game while also having guys that decide on several other plays to just walk up the court or do a nice slow jog to get that energy back for the next offensive play while our already bad defense gets abused for an easy 2 or 3 depending on whatever the opposition would prefer.

Just absolutely pathetic effort much of the time tbh which is what makes this team so tough to watch. It goes way beyond just them losing, these bad habits don't just magically get better over time if they don't try to start correcting it soon. I never expected them to be anywhere near the best defensive team in the NBA this season but it's been even worse then expected up to this point.

"No trust, no communication, no discipline." is a great short answer though that pretty much sums most of it up.

I wanted to post this in its own thread. I’m so sick of players either begging for a call after the play in stead of getting back in transition, celebrating instead of hurrying back, or falling on the floor and laying there like they are hurt for a whole possession. Oh and LbJ and Davis holding their face like they just got punched every time someone bumps their head.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA assistant says Lakers are bad on defense because ‘they’re old and they can’t stay in front of anyone’

lakersfan32 wrote:
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/11/27/22804835/nba-rumors-assistant-says-lakers-bad-defense-because-theyre-old

lol

Somebody in the chat of the last game suggested Bazemore for Damian Jones I think that is an excellent idea we never should’ve let Jones go and you could see him in the last game covering up other players defensively he is young he plays above the rim he gives us everything we need defensively
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject:

We are old.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Being old is not even one of our bigger issues.. that says it all
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Last year, Lebron was the 4th best defender on the floor in crunch time.

Last night he was the 2nd.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject:

That is why like the Cleveland teams Lebron took to the Finals, you need to be patient, make some trade deadline deals, let Lebron/AD "peak" at the right time, and pick up steam in the second half of the season. Westbrook also paces himself well, in that he picks it up in the 2nd half (although he has played very well the last few weeks, already).

This won't magically get better, but if we can make some small trades and get AD/Bron to play with the urgency they played in 19-20, we will get a lot better. The issue is I don't know when that urgency will kick in for Bron/AD. The last game Bron played like it was as important as a high school game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject:

This is correct. They are also small as well. So even if they stay in front, players just shoot over them.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
This is correct. They are also small as well. So even if they stay in front, players just shoot over them.

And even if they miss, because our players are small, they can't secure the defensive rebounds.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

This is what happens when an unqualified GM and pseudo LeGM built a team. each season it gets worse because they have no vision and sense for todays NBA.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

No, it's a trifecta:
- old e.g. Melo, DJ
- small e.g. AB + 8 other guards
- lacking defensive IQ e.g. Monk, Ellington
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

We aren't a good defensive team. But i wouldn't chalk it all up to age.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: