We can salvage this season if we swallow our pride and trade Westbrick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
26-10-9-2 and a comeback win.

Lock this thread after Russ' mic drop.

It was one game against a lottery team. He has been a disaster otherwise.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: We can salvage this season if we swallow our pride and trade Westbrook

rock0100 wrote:

Westbrook attracts more fans than VanVleet and Dragic is practically not on the team.

It would be funny if we traded him, because that would make it four times he was traded in three years. His star is falling fast.

Like I said, I can't imagine Toronto would do that deal, but I'd be happy if they did.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Barring injury, lakers are on the Westbrook train and there’s no getting off, at least this year….
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Barring injury, lakers are on the Westbrook train and there’s no getting off, at least this year….

It’s also that as much flack as Westbrook has gotten, there is no player that can make a difference if we were to trade him then Westbrook finding his groove and helping this team. I have seen Ben Simmons scenarios but he probably won’t get traded unless it is a crazy good offer for Philly, that Love/Rubio trade package I have seen is pure garbage, when Westbrook starts figuring it out this team is gonna be really good.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject:

windycitycane wrote:
acer77 wrote:

He had multiple good games before, benching him or trading him is not an option this season no matter what Random LGers says
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject:

windycitycane wrote:
acer77 wrote:

Stop focusing on his stats. He doesn’t play defense and can’t coexist with Lebron.

No one is trading for Westbrook for basketball reasons. Only somewhat viable trade is WB for Love and Rubio. Cavs would then hope WB opts out and they save on Loves salary next year.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
windycitycane wrote:
acer77 wrote:

Stop focusing on his stats. He doesn’t play defense and can’t coexist with Lebron.

No one is trading for Westbrook for basketball reasons. Only somewhat viable trade is WB for Love and Rubio. Cavs would then hope WB opts out and they save on Loves salary next year.

What is Rubio contract like?

I think Love can help this team a bit coming off the bench.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

It’s also that as much flack as Westbrook has gotten, there is no player that can make a difference if we were to trade him then Westbrook finding his groove and helping this team. I have seen Ben Simmons scenarios but he probably won’t get traded unless it is a crazy good offer for Philly, that Love/Rubio trade package I have seen is pure garbage, when Westbrook starts figuring it out this team is gonna be really good.

Figure it out??

Then what, wait for another team to game plan against Westbrick in a 7 games series and send us home in first round?

Do you even remember how we won our championship last time?
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
windycitycane wrote:
acer77 wrote:

Trade

Even we will be then paying less tax,lol
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
windycitycane wrote:
acer77 wrote:

Why do we keep throwing up trade ideas ? The bigger question is if any other team would actually want to trade for Russ; I don’t think they do.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject:

we don't have enough assets to trade RW and his contract... the sooner you face it, the better.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject:

I never thought he could be traded, let alone the three times he has been. Last night is the first time we saw the old Russ, but the reality is, he isn't that guy anymore. How many dunks has he missed this year? He makes WAY too much money. Only way he is traded is if someone is dumber than the Rockets, Wizards and Lakers. Super max deals are rarely going to end well for the team that uses it. By the time a player gets to super max, they are already on the wrong side of their career. I hated the trade and hoped I was wrong. Unfortunately not.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Russ is not the problem. Stop scapegoating him.

The real problem is the Lakers have been outscored by 100pts in the 3rd quarter this season. This is hardly a Russ problem but an entire team problem that needs to be fixed quickly.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:

The real problem is the Lakers have been outscored by 100pts in the 3rd quarter this season. This is hardly a Russ problem but an entire team problem that needs to be fixed quickly.

He is not *the* problem, but, unwittingly, part of it.

Huge, massive contract that sucks up so much cap space and provides limited options. Chaotic, at times extremely undisciplined, play style. Poor FT and 3 shooter. That's a problem.

But, it took two (or, I suppose on the Lakers side, more than 2) to tango, and the Laker brass wanted him here...and there you have it.

And yes, the defense is nowhere near just a Russ issue...it's like an epidemic with this team, giving flashes of that famous scene from the Robert Redford scene from the Natural of "losing is a disease..." Has even infected AD at times.

One could probably make a really good narrative of how there is no one - save Austin Reaves and maybe a couple others- safe from a finger pointing.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Russ isn’t the problem. If AD can pull his one weight and perform as expected, this is still a top 4 seed team with or without a healthy LeBron. The problem is the inconsistency of AD.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
acer77 wrote:

Huge, massive contract that sucks up so much cap space and provides limited options. Chaotic, at times extremely undisciplined, play style. Poor FT and 3 shooter. That's a problem.

But, it took two (or, I suppose on the Lakers side, more than 2) to tango, and the Laker brass wanted him here...and there you have it.

And yes, the defense is nowhere near just a Russ issue...it's like an epidemic with this team, giving flashes of that famous scene from the Robert Redford scene from the Natural of "losing is a disease..." Has even infected AD at times.

One could probably make a really good narrative of how there is no one - save Austin Reaves and maybe a couple others- safe from a finger pointing.

None of that explains why the Lakers are being outscored by 100pts in the 3rd. Just more Russcapegoating 101. Russ is providing similar production as his last 3 seasons. He is who we thought he was. If you were expecting 30ppg and 'Defensive Player of the Year' then you must've been inhaling something.

If you're one of those nuts who are resentful and blaming Russ for Lakers not getting Hield... Melo is providing the same production for $20M less. So Lakers got 2 productive players instead of 1, sounds like a good deal to me.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
acer77 wrote:

None of that explains why the Lakers are being outscored by 100pts in the 3rd. Just more Russcapegoating 101. Russ is providing similar production as his last 3 seasons. He is who we thought he was. If you were expecting 30ppg and 'Defensive Player of the Year' then you must've been inhaling something.

If you're one of those nuts who are resentful and blaming Russ for Lakers not getting Hield... Melo is providing the same production for $20M less. So Lakers got 2 productive players instead of 1, sounds like a good deal to me.

The basic problem is we traded for a guy (Westbrook) who doesn't fit well with AD and Lebron. And then, in order to get Westbrook, we lost our best wing defenders.

So, as a result, we ended up with a team that defends poorly and is disjointed on offense.

A big issue with Westbrook is he speeds up the pace, whether that's good or bad for a team, and whether there is a purpose for speeding the pace. AD and Lebron work better at a slower pace, but Westbrook doesn't know how to play that way and he really can't adjust his game, because his game is based on athleticism rather than basketball IQ.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
acer77 wrote:

Ok, so you're really going over the top Acer, and angling towards personal attacks, and really need to calm down. If you want to bury your head in the sand, so be it, I cannot stop you. I clearly cannot have reasoned discourse with you - I responded to your complete dismissal of Russ contributing as a factor to the Lakers problems, but acknowledged its more than him. You wanna ignore that...that's on you.

Last edited by DrDent on Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
acer77 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
acer77 wrote:

The basic problem is we traded for a guy (Westbrook) who doesn't fit well with AD and Lebron. And then, in order to get Westbrook, we lost our best wing defenders.

So, as a result, we ended up with a team that defends poorly and is disjointed on offense.

A big issue with Westbrook is he speeds up the pace, whether that's good or bad for a team, and whether there is a purpose for speeding the pace. AD and Lebron work better at a slower pace, but Westbrook doesn't know how to play that way and he really can't adjust his game, because his game is based on athleticism rather than basketball IQ.

Yup...so many things, and you astutely pointed out some of them right there.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

We have yet to see how Lebron and Westbrook will co exist: two ball dominant guys.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject:

Posted this in another thread. We may be giving Westbrook too much blame. I don't think WB has been good, or a net +. Thus far he has been a net negative in my eyes.

However, Lebron has helped form two other massive overhauls and 3 all-stars teaming up formations: Cleveland with Kyrie/Love in 14-15. Bosh/Wade in Miami in '10-11.

This with Bron in his athletic prime. Miami was 9-8 at one point. The Cavs, fell to 19-20 (39 games in, sub .500). Both teams regrouped and made the NBA Finals.

Not sure if it will be relevant to our situation or roster. But it does seem when Bron forms a new star trio, initially it does not work. It takes quite a bit of time to even become a good team. Both teams were .500 or sub .500 level teams for eiter 1/4 or 1/2 the season. Lebron himself tends to "take over the reigns" as the season develops.

It really seems to be quite difficult to make changes and have 3 stars play together, at first. We made massive changes, and I think the initial returns are similar to those of Miami/Cleveland, and we have had Bron miss almost 75% of our games. I don't think we will see the real basketball ability from this team before the 3rd and 4th quarters of the RS.

My concern is that AD is healthy now, but no guarantee he will be then. I also have concern that Bron has missed so much time, that the much needed chemistry needed between the big 3, will take even more time, to form. I have come to realize that while Westbrook is a very tough player to fit in. Blaming him alone for the team's struggles, is rather unfair. The previous Bron team's who went this route with massive changes and 3 stars playing together, struggled just as much. I don't know if we will figure it out like them, but certainly I don't think Westbrook alone is the reason this is happening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject:

Wolf:

I think relying on prior lbj star trios for this situation is not reliable data. Aside from increased age, none of those teams had just won a chip nor did they have a legit “we were banged up excuse” for failing to repeat. Miami was, what, a fringe playoff team going nowhere and cleveland was a young lotto team. So when they shed “talent” it was viewed through a different lens.

This team actually shed guys that many felt were key supporting cast championship level players in the past 2 years. Limiting this to russ - and you know this already - that meant having 2 pieces that fit well around lbj being moved or not re-signed for a guy who is not a natural fit to this team / lbj (for reasons discussed ad nauseum already).

Also - lbj went to miami and bosch went to mia that same offseason. He went to cleveland and love was then moved there. Imo thats where the analogy is - he liked having that talented big who could shoot from distance (here trading for AD). Unlike any of the other situations, he did not swap out fitting (from playing with them the 3 seasons prior), proven, championship pieces for another piece that has such a questionable fit that the team starts changing its entire offense to accomodate.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject:

^
I agree situations are not identical, but there were massive changes. In terms of AD/Bron playing before and having won. They have playeda about 7 full games together this year out of (18), and that too with interruption (not 7 consecutive). So if t's this slow start with AD and Bron playing all 18 games, again, I understand. It's really been massive change. Even AD's role has been changed multiple times in the season.

For sure the primary reason for all of that is the Westbrook trade, but the Westbrook trade differs from the Westbrook player, IMO. It's not WB's fault the players around AD and him can't defend, that is on them to find better defenders and for the guys in the roles right now to defend better.

Some seem to blame WB for everything and AD too for everything when these two are the guys carrying the team, You know what I mean? And it's not Westbrook's fault alone, that players around AD and him don't know the defensive system well or don't move on offense.

It's definitely on WB that he can't shoot 3s, but still shoots them, that he is TO prone, that he doesn't always play hard on D. That is all on him. However when I look at the season as a whole, I don't think the play of Westbrook alone is the reason this team is struggling. I defintely think it remains to be seen if WB will ever be a solution, and could always hinder the progress. A few good games doesn't convince me at all that WB is going to be fine. That Detroit game was nice, but it doesn't mean I am of the belief that WB is gonna be fine and fit in like Lebron's other big 3 in Miami or CLE did. I'm just saying, this is about much more than WB. The team around AD/WB (Bron has barely played) is not shown to be very good on both ends. You have guys like Melo who are studs in their roles on offense, and you have guys like Bradley who are studs on D. You don't have enough two way guys. You don't have enough guys playing hard on D. Look at the Detroit game, how little we cared until Bron got thrown out. That just shows it's about effort too. This isn't a RW problem. He gives effort, IMO.

Even with RW's warts, he was on some great RS teams in OKC and Houston too won a lot of games. In the end, I think this is about our role guys too. Our role guys stink for the most part. Sure, the RW trade is part of why the role guys are not as good. But that isn't on Westbrook's play ... Onus is on Rob to make some trades and moves be deadline, and at the same time these role players to give effort like they do in wins against Detroit.

Just look at these numbers:

Our "shooters" from 3 point land

Ellington 33.9 on 5+ attempts a game
THT 34.8 on nearly 5 attempts a game
Monk 32.9 on 4 attempts a game
Bazemore 28.6 (he was our starter for many games).

In the end, you can't blame WB for the above. IMO, Frank knows what's up. There's a reason he went with Melo/Bradley. Bradley's shooting 38.8 from 3 and plays very hard on D. Melo is an elite sniper but his D is sketch. But after Melo and Bradley, we don't have a reliable role player. Maybe THT, but he makes a ton of young/rebuild type of player mistakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

I thought there was a requirement to post a topic. There is absolutely zero chance Russ is traded. I now have buyers remorse for the Russ trade....but we're stuck with him for at least a year.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

Wolf - i think we agree much more than disagree. I agree with you that theres so many things going on with the team beyond just russ. Frankly, we are in unchartered waters.

I would not have traded for russ. But they did and the team feels like lots of square pegs trying to be fit into stars, half-moons, triangles, and round holes. You accurately describe some of the role player woes. How we are here goes to roster construction, coaching, etc. Russ cannot be blamed for being traded here with the team knowing what that meant. But he is part of the overall problem - that doesnt make him a scapegoat; rather I just think that would be an objective assessment.

Going back to this thread title…to deal him the team unlikely gets back competitive assets assuming such a trade partner existed. Ill just say this - while i do not think the prior lbj trios are good data, at this juncture as a fan its the only hope i have to hang onto…i would really be fine eating crow with my view of this team construction.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: