Is it weird that I'm still grieving Kobe even though I didn't know him and I'm just a fan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it weird, even though I'm just a fan?
Yes
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
No
91%
 91%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 24

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Is it weird that I'm still grieving Kobe even though I didn't know him and I'm just a fan?

The thread title sums it up.

I looked up to him in alot of ways.

And I still feel the loss.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject:

No.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject:

I still get emotional over it all too.
Our Legend
a hole in our Hearts that shouldn't be there
People are still designing and painting beautiful Kobe Murals in LA
Because it still hurts!

https://www.kobemural.com/

Use the knowledge he gave and turn it into wisdom.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject:

It still doesn't seem real to me I can't explain it.

Regardless I haven't really bothered to watch much basketball since if it all tbh.

I do know the world literally has not been the same since as we have ended up in this dystopian nightmare for nearly two years now.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Even if it is weird, I don't give a (bleep). I think about the dude all the time and it still hurts.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Just do you. Kobe was different.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject:

once or twice a year I will imagine a situation where I run in to Kobe in an elevator or a restaurant where I get to tell him something. I've imagined these situations for the last 15 years at least. Even though these scenarios were never really possible before, now they hit with a special sorrow as I know they are literally impossible.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
once or twice a year I will imagine a situation where I run in to Kobe in an elevator or a restaurant where I get to tell him something. I've imagined these situations for the last 15 years at least. Even though these scenarios were never really possible before, now they hit with a special sorrow as I know they are literally impossible.

Bless you! Thank you for sharing that.

FWIW, Napoleon Hill - Author of Think and Grow Rich -
Had Invisible Guides he would ask for assistance from in life
Also A Round Table where he would talk with people who were not there.. leaders or inventors etc who he had studied and researched intensely. Conversation about ideas or issues etc

I was going through a phase of hating on high paid athletes/actors/politicians/etc while the world was suffering.. Hearing Shaq say he was the highest paid etc blah blah blah made me ill..
^Tough times

Then there I was in an Advertising class at the University of Oregon.. we picked Adidas.. 1997 - Hello Kobe
https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/kobe-bryant-1997
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Look at this little kid
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/kobe-bryant-and-shaquille-oneal-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-pose-during-picture-id1058139024?s=2048x2048
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Dude was a big part of my Lakers experience. I feel I grew up with him and saw how the league was shaped by him. I loved him and the Lakers and its sad to lose anyone or anything you love.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject:

No, it's not. I feel the same. I lost almost all interest in watching basketball when he died. Haven't watched a single game this season, and I don't think I will.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject:

Of course it’s not weird. It bothers me that he died a horrific death too, and then some idiots thought it was a good idea to take pictures of the remains and show them to people. (bleep) them.

I’ve been really intrigued by the idea of how his daughter would do in the WNBA. I never watch the WNBA but I probably would have tuned in to watch her. Now we’ll never know how good she would have been.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Is it weird that I'm still grieving Kobe even though I didn't know him and I'm just a fan?

kikanga wrote:
The thread title sums it up.

I looked up to him in alot of ways.

And I still feel the loss.

I would say if someone that you did not know passing is have an material impact of a person's daily life.....as in altering the way they experience life, then I would think they should probably seek some professional guidance. I do not think that is what you are saying.....and I can honestly tell you that my mother is in her 70's and I think she still truly feels the loss of Elvis. I would guess it is complicated in that it is a happy piece of real estate in our brains has kind of passed.....something that gave us pleasure, motivation, etc. feels like it can only be tapped into in a past tense.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

I see videos of him and feel the loss. Though I didn't know him personally I shed more tears for him than I did some family members. No more tears. The grieving is over.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

We are all different, don’t worry what others think, just be yourself. I experienced death at a young age and never learned to grieve and some think that is weird but it is just me.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject:

I was a wreck for months after. Literally every night of going down Youtube wormholes of his highlights and tributes. I still think about Kobe every day. I actually went and booked a tattoo artist for a tribute tattoo. It'll be my one and only tattoo. Lame as heck from the outside at my age but IDGAF.

It's weird but it upsets me when people try to compare his tragedy to others. Murals of his are still popping up all over the world. Building from the Middle East, to Canada to Europe flew the PnG colors in his honor. Hell, I saw a photo of a Sikh church (is that what you call it?) where all the members were wearing PnG colors and some in his jersey during worship. No comparison.

I'm convinced his passing (the first time I could ever bring myself to type that down) was a disturbance in the force. (bleep) went sideways soon after.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject:

Kobe's death is the greatest tragedy of our generation. More grief than 9/11.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Kobe's death is the greatest tragedy of our generation. More grief than 9/11.

No
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never got to see him play live.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

Read where a mamba line of wine is coming out from his estate. You can drink your sorrows away.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject:

If you check out all the murals of Kobe and Gianna that have popped up all over the city, you will know you are not alone.

I am still struggling with it also, he had so much more to do.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I was a wreck for months after. Literally every night of going down Youtube wormholes of his highlights and tributes. I still think about Kobe every day. I actually went and booked a tattoo artist for a tribute tattoo. It'll be my one and only tattoo. Lame as heck from the outside at my age but IDGAF.

It's weird but it upsets me when people try to compare his tragedy to others. Murals of his are still popping up all over the world. Building from the Middle East, to Canada to Europe flew the PnG colors in his honor. Hell, I saw a photo of a Sikh church (is that what you call it?) where all the members were wearing PnG colors and some in his jersey during worship. No comparison.

I'm convinced his passing (the first time I could ever bring myself to type that down) was a disturbance in the force. (bleep) went sideways soon after.

Same for me. I grew up with kobe. He was such a central part to the relationship with my dad. No matter what was going on in our lives, we could always talk about kobe and the lakers. He would send me little notes with lineups and who to play. We would get up in the middle of the night to watch the lakers (we were watching from europe). We would call on the phone sometimes and sync up our feeds to experience watching the game together when I didn't live there anymore. The last kobe game we watched together in person.

After kobe retired, and especially after he died, watching the lakers just wasn't the same anymore. There was something missing. I had moved from europe to new york a half year before kobe died. When it happened, it really hit home how I missed my dad and my family. I had a great talk with my dad afterwards, and we reminisced. It might seem strange to some but it really felt like the death of a family member.

Watching the lakers is different now, it doesn't have the same appeal as it used to. Still a laker fan for life, but some of the zeal is gone, forever.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: