BULLS -at- LAKERS - 11/15 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: BULLS -at- LAKERS - 11/15 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

I'm not writing this one up. Bulls are an excellent team, but Lakers, wow. Just an awful mix of hoop IQ and effort.

AD got ejected with a couple minutes left in the third. He didn't seem like he wanted to play anyway tonight. He was very adverse to imposing his size on the Bulls small ball.

With no shotblocking, you've got to attack the rim relentlessly on drives and use your size for putbacks on the ones you miss. Go hard. Impose yourself. Sheesh. There were moments by Russ, Melo, THT, maybe a little Dwight imposing his size.

Defensively, yikes. The Bulls got super comfortable out there. The Lakers had some inconsistent coverages that caused problems before they had their backs broken completely.

Lowkey bright spot for the Lakers, though, is THT's first two games this season. Some good scoring punch, including a couple throwdowns. That three ball is super important to his game, but also the rosters we can play him in. He got a little heat-checky with the shot, but I like seeing the confidence instead of the alternative.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Lakers lose 121-103

Was actually competitive for quite a bit of the game. Lakers D actually looked solid. Bulls were hitting lots of contested jumpers. Were down 9 at the half. Russ was keeping the team in the game.

They got within about 6 in the 3rd...and then the wheels fell off. Bulls aggressive D just seemed to wear down the Lakers (they kept swarming all game), Lakers D then went back to bad habits, and the bad third quarter reared its head again. Outscored 37-25 in that quarter. Game over.

Bulls really befuddled AD, immediately doubling, very aggressively, with their guys (usually LaVine doubled)...and they would immediately start snatching at the ball. There were likely quite a few fouls the refs did not call (this crew stunk, Scott Wall stinks too), which made the Bulls even more aggressive. Not saying it made a difference, but was hard to watch.

Lakers now 8-7. They are what they are right now - a .500 team.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Alex Caruso tribute

Anthony Davis ejected

Lakers vs Bulls highlights
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Both teams played hard
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Lakers just aren’t good.

The one good team they beat was the Heat and even then their best player didn’t play after the 2nd quarter.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: BULLS -at- LAKERS - 11/15 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
I'm not writing this one up. Bulls are an excellent team, but Lakers, wow. Just an awful mix of hoop IQ and effort.
Agree

When leadership is inconsistent - in this case, AD & Westbrook, team will follow their example (aka: consistent effort and focus). AD needs to be more effective when calling out the defensive schemes and Westbrook (as shared countless times) have to be much more efficient in leadering the offense in Lebron's absence.

As stated on various sport talk shows, the importance of having Lebron on the floor is surprisingly much greater despite all the veterans on this team.

Since Caruso was in Da House, it is noteworthy that when Reeves and THT are not playing, energy level is down.

As CP3 has shown, a veteran PG can quickly have a team run more efficiently
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry, but this team does not embody Laker basketball. You can see they play with an individualistic attitude out there. They do not play to get the best shot unlike other teams because not everyone can shoot. The Laker team was constructed with the same motivation like going to the buffet and wanting to throw everything on your plate in one sitting. It may sound like a good idea, but all that food may not blend well together. As a result, we are seeing caca
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Lakers just aren’t good.

The one good team they beat was the Heat and even then their best player didn’t play after the 2nd quarter.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject:

How did Westbrook look? improved?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject:

I'll probably be alone on this one but I think the Lakers need
to play their size. Going small ball against good small ball teams
is playing to their strengths not ours.
A 2 foot dunk against a smaller opponent is easier than a long
ball. Push it in when you can, hit the easy pt ones from FT depth
and let the good 3 point shooters take the open shot you've
created with the movement (Lakers ice cold last night though).
Lakers are not a "young" run and gun team...Play defense or die;
looks like die right now.

Just my O, anyway....
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject:

I don't blame you DB. I had to turn it off in the 3rd.

I wonder if LaVar was in attendance? I hated to see Zo and Caruso killing the Lakers, but I am proud of the players they have become. The chip is still worth it, but I really wish BI, Zo and Caruso were still here.

AD shooting 17 footers moreso than imposing his will in the paint on their small ball lineup ain't it. He gotta have more dog in him.

Lastly, since when did DeRozan become a 3pt sniper? Bad bad loss. They are squandering these early top heavy home games. SMH
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

The Nets look good without Kyrie and yet they got destroyed by the Bulls. I guess that makes me feel a little better.

Last edited by PenG_ on Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

Stupid Lakers FO swinging for the fences while we let better complimentary players get away.

This team is just weird….I can’t put my finger on it.

They lack will and confidence…
Offense is terrible…defense is even worse…

Yet we have a talented team…

Is it the coaching staff?
Is it that we don’t have Lebron??
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

ditto Texas_Pete - and without LBJ on the floor we now have zero leadership on the court. On either side of it.

Phil Jackson said you can tell what kind of team you have after the first 20 games. We're not there yet but we're closing in on it. And losing many of the easy wins on our schedule in the process.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Stupid Lakers FO swinging for the fences while we let better complimentary players get away.

This team is just weird….I can’t put my finger on it.

They lack will and confidence…
Offense is terrible…defense is even worse…

Yet we have a talented team…

Is it the coaching staff?
Is it that we don’t have Lebron??

Looks to me like the superstar we pulled in for a franchise cornerstone salary in exchange for those better complimentary players has zero floor leadership and lacks intelligent decision making. But he gets triple doubles, even flirts with quadruple doubles with all his turnovers.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:

Can't do a write up as didn't watch the game with notes, but off the top of my head what stood out.

1) We don't have a wing defender for DeRozan. We needed Bron on him. Ariza may have helped too.
2) Bulls made a ton of tough shots from 3. LaVine was closed out and still hit them.
3) We missed all our open looks. Kind of the story of the season so far, when our role guys (Melo, Ellington, Monk etc) hit their 3s, we win, when they can't, we lose.
4) Bulls took AD out of the game as a scorer with all the doubles and zones too. We got open looks, but didn't make them.
5) Russ played well, individually. Very well. At least in the 1st. Just didn't like the 3s.
6) THT is looking awesome. Like a guy we "stole" at the MLE. He's not going to have this role when Bron is back, but damn can the guy create off the dribble and is not at all shy from shooting anymore. Confidence level is different.

This isn't about soft AD, dumb WB etc. We lost to a better team, as without Bron, we're basically a .500 level team for the moment. We needed our role guys to make their shots from outside especially with AD being doubles/tripled, and instead they had a very cold night.

Melo 0-4
Ellington 1-6
Monk 0-3
Bradley 1-3

I'm thinking 80-90% of those shots were good looks open looks. We make those at 40-45% and this is a different game.

WB taking 6 three pointers is just plain wrong, though. Can't wait for Bron to be back and we get some IQ into our offense again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

AD unwillingness to want to dominate forces us to play a way we arent the best at.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: BULLS -at- LAKERS - 11/15 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

AD got ejected with a couple minutes left in the third. He didn't seem like he wanted to play anyway tonight. He was very adverse to imposing his size on the Bulls small ball.

With no shotblocking, you've got to attack the rim relentlessly on drives and use your size for putbacks on the ones you miss. Go hard. Impose yourself. Sheesh. There were moments by Russ, Melo, THT, maybe a little Dwight imposing his size.

Defensively, yikes. The Bulls got super comfortable out there. The Lakers had some inconsistent coverages that caused problems before they had their backs broken completely.

Lowkey bright spot for the Lakers, though, is THT's first two games this season. Some good scoring punch, including a couple throwdowns. That three ball is super important to his game, but also the rosters we can play him in. He got a little heat-checky with the shot, but I like seeing the confidence instead of the alternative.

WOW.....even DB is fed up!!!!!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Can't do a write up as didn't watch the game with notes, but off the top of my head what stood out.

1) We don't have a wing defender for DeRozan. We needed Bron on him. Ariza may have helped too.
2) Bulls made a ton of tough shots from 3. LaVine was closed out and still hit them.
3) We missed all our open looks. Kind of the story of the season so far, when our role guys (Melo, Ellington, Monk etc) hit their 3s, we win, when they can't, we lose.
4) Bulls took AD out of the game as a scorer with all the doubles and zones too. We got open looks, but didn't make them.
5) Russ played well, individually. Very well. At least in the 1st. Just didn't like the 3s.
6) THT is looking awesome. Like a guy we "stole" at the MLE. He's not going to have this role when Bron is back, but damn can the guy create off the dribble and is not at all shy from shooting anymore. Confidence level is different.

This isn't about soft AD, dumb WB etc. We lost to a better team, as without Bron, we're basically a .500 level team for the moment. We needed our role guys to make their shots from outside especially with AD being doubles/tripled, and instead they had a very cold night.

Melo 0-4
Ellington 1-6
Monk 0-3
Bradley 1-3

I'm thinking 80-90% of those shots were good looks open looks. We make those at 40-45% and this is a different game.

WB taking 6 three pointers is just plain wrong, though. Can't wait for Bron to be back and we get some IQ into our offense again.

anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

James Worthy "Lakers should've picked up DeRozan over Westbrook" after Bulls DESTROY them 121-103

Can't say I disagree...though I don't think the Spurs would have traded with the Lakers without a total fleece job...
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
James Worthy "Lakers should've picked up DeRozan over Westbrook" after Bulls DESTROY them 121-103

Can't say I disagree...though I don't think the Spurs would have traded with the Lakers without a total fleece job...

Did he really say that?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

There was a lot of talk about DeRozan after the title, and that something around Kuz+Danny Green for him. As Pop liked both. I remember a lot of talk about the lack of 3 point shot, the isolation heavy game etc.

I dunno if it's DD that makes the Bulls so good, or the combination of a multiple things coming together. They got a new PG, a great off the bench 2-way player and DeRozan. They had also traded for Vucevic mid-season before.

It wasn't just 1 move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

The slander people threw at DD here was epic.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
The slander people threw at DD here was epic.

I always thought he got unfair criticism but to be fair he’s a different player this season. Shooting 3s with confidence.

Also helps that the Bulls are a modern offense with spacing. Not a coincidence the former Lakers and Spurs are thriving in their new situations (DD, Kuz, Harrell, Aldridge). Lakers and Spurs still have dinosaur offenses relative to modern game.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Melo 0-4
Ellington 1-6
Monk 0-3
Bradley 1-3

We lost against a better team but it shouldn't have been by this much. Even if they shoot 40% the Bulls are probably maintaining a comfortable double-digit lead the entire game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: