CARMELO ANTHONY Official Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
Melo is balling. should have signed him 2 years back

Was he willing to play this role back then though? Seemed like he still had starter demands or was not as fully onboard into this 6th man type role as he is now.

Yeah, he was still hesitant at that time for sure it seemed.. I think we just kind of lucked out in a perfect situation where he had the previous 2 seasons to finally not only accept the bench/6th man kind of role but to get reps and is now fully comfortable and thriving in it. I personally didn't want him at all two seasons ago but this year he has an amazing attitude, puts effort on the defensive end and not only does he get buckets but he does it within the offense most of the time. Pretty insane we got both him and Monk for the minimum.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

I have huge respect for Melo. Him and Dwight were both 'that guy' in their younger years, and have since fully embraced their supporting roles. Yet they both still have plenty left in the tank to contribute.

I think being embraced by the LA fans help a ton too, and Melo will just keep getting better as he becomes a bigger crowd favorite.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Melo bounced back with a hot hand today. Dude can get buckets. He was enjoying himself and the fans were loving it.
He scored 15 points (5-7Fg), (2-3 treys, 3-4 Fts., 5 Rebs. 1 TO. (-6).
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Melo is balling. should have signed him 2 years back

That's what I said... 2 years ago. And received a ton of (bleep) for it. It was as if I suggested they sign Kevin McHale or something.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

The open looks he is getting will only become that much more open once we have THT, Lebron, Westbrook, AD and Nunn available to pull in defenses every night. His shooting is not a fluke either. He shot 39% from 3 two years ago for Portland and 41% from 3 last year. He is currently shooting 47% from 3. Even if that went back down to 40%, that's still fine. However, with this team getting healthy, it could really get even better.

Having two guys in Ellington and Melo shooting 45% from 3, with this team fully healthy, could make this team a top offense in the league eventually. Lakers just need to be top 10-15 defensively then, and they'll still easily be a title contender with that kind of offense. For reference, we've been top 9 in defense the last half dozen games, so that is easily achievable.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Who was better in their prime: Paul Pierce or Carmelo?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Paul Pierce

*dodges stones
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
The open looks he is getting will only become that much more open once we have THT, Lebron, Westbrook, AD and Nunn available to pull in defenses every night. His shooting is not a fluke either. He shot 39% from 3 two years ago for Portland and 41% from 3 last year. He is currently shooting 47% from 3. Even if that went back down to 40%, that's still fine. However, with this team getting healthy, it could really get even better.

Having two guys in Ellington and Melo shooting 45% from 3, with this team fully healthy, could make this team a top offense in the league eventually. Lakers just need to be top 10-15 defensively then, and they'll still easily be a title contender with that kind of offense. For reference, we've been top 9 in defense the last half dozen games, so that is easily achievable.

The interesting thing will be to see how Carmelo shoots on the road trip. Over the past few years he's shot significantly better at home than on the road, but it's turned ridiculous this year. He's shooting 56% for 3s at home (42 for 75), and 6% for 3s on the road (1 for 16). Never seen a discrepancy like that.

I'm not expecting Carmelo or Ellington to stick at 47%. If they hold close to 40%, I'll be happy.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

The guy who lead the Nuggets to the Western Conference Finals and pushed the Kobe/Gasol/Phil Lakers to the limit with Chauncey Billups and Kenyon Martin as his 2nd and 3rd best players.

Though Pierce is a big-game baller and probably has more memorable playoff moments/games than Melo.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject:

He basically HAS to average 40% from 3 to be playable
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject:

His shooting is streaky but his defense is consistently bad. His age makes him a perfect fit in the oldest team in the league. This upcoming road trip is really gonna expose this team's age.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Melo easily

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Melo. (bleep) Paul Pierce and his wheel chair
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Carmelo had a spurt where he was an extremely dynamic scorer, but Pierce was a better player overall.

Carmelo was more entertainment to watch, but Pierce was probably more effective.

I'd go with Pierce, but I can see the case for Carmelo.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

The guy who lead the Nuggets to the Western Conference Finals and pushed the Kobe/Gasol/Phil Lakers to the limit with Chauncey Billups and Kenyon Martin as his 2nd and 3rd best players.

I don't think the Nuggets pushed us to the limit.

We beat them 4-2, closing out the final game with a 27-point win.

I'd say the Rockets gave us a tougher battle in the second round than the Nuggets did in the conference finals.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Batguano wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I don't think the Nuggets pushed us to the limit.

We beat them 4-2, closing out the final game with a 27-point win.

I'd say the Rockets gave us a tougher battle in the second round than the Nuggets did in the conference finals.

Games 1 and 3 were decided by game-saving steals by Trevor Ariza.

Kobe had to go for 34, 6, 6 on 48/34/93 shooting splits (one of his GOAT playoff series).

I'd say that qualifies as pushing us to the limit.

Lakers also beat the Rockets by 19 in Game 7 with Kobe playing like butt. I would argue the Rockets was more Lakers not taking them seriously after losing Tmac and Yao and playing down to the level of their competition vs the Nuggets actually pushing them and nearly matching them with talent.

Regardless of your views, prime Melo is still better than prime Pierce to me.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Kudos to Melo for providing a much needed scoring punch today.
He delivered some clutch shooting, leadership and toughness down the stretch.

STATS:
18 points (5-8 shooting from deep), 2 rebs, 2 blocks, +13.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Solid defense in the fourth quarter tonight. He may never be a good defender but he's at least giving some effort there to go along with some solid floor spacing.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Carmelo started the momentum swings in the 4th. When Carmelo is on we always have a chance.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Solid defense in the fourth quarter tonight. He may never be a good defender but he's at least giving some effort there to go along with some solid floor spacing.

Finally. He was a disaster on defense the first three quarters and in many of the previous games. All credit to him for what he did tonight and the nights where his O carried us to a victory, but his D has been a major vulnerability for us. Its not really his fault since It’s probably expecting too much of him at his age for him to do what he did in the fourth all or even just most of the time, but that’s an area we have to address somehow. We need a guy with size who can play with AD who isn’t a total lump on D most of the time. I guess Pelinka thought old man Ariza could be that, but he clearly didn’t respect Father Time and should be working his ass off to do something, I hope.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

18 games he's shooting 46% from 3.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject:

Just to let people know how good Melo has been on offense. His O rating is 119. That is about 21 points per 100 possessions better than Westbrook, and it's even better than AD. This is his career high in O rating. It's not only our eyes, he's legit.

His defense is the main reason he can't play 30 minutes a game for us. His role on offense is perfect for what we need and he has bought in 100% to being a catch and shoot guy that sometimes makes a play for himself.

It's just that the D comes once in a while, and we can't really do that. Would be different if say we had AD, Bron, Bradley, Westbrook all playing crazy hard defense and Melo was the one guy that wasn't always able to stick to his man. But that's not the case. We just can't get away with playing Melo too many minutes. There are way too many guys that are also like him, where they are not alert, quick enough defenders. When you have that, you just can't also play Melo a lot. Well you can, but the results speak for themselves, defensively. We have a great defensive coach with a good system, but not enough players that move well in it.

I would love to see a trade for this team to get us some defensive players in there that can allow us to play Melo more. I look at Melo and compare him to Ellington. What value has Wayne really brought? Monk, also shows flashes, but again, it's far more bad than good. With Melo, we get consistency on offense and you feel he's a legit sniper out there. Some games like all snipers he's off. He's going to shoot badly. Nature of that role (Even Kay the GOAT in this kind of role, has nights off). But I love his consistency on offense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
He was a disaster on defense the first three quarters and in many of the previous games. All credit to him for what he did tonight and the nights where his O carried us to a victory, but his D has been a major vulnerability for us.

The way I view it with Melo, and to varying extents Ellington and Monk, is that the bar was really low for him defensively coming in. He's played very well offensively but if he gives it all up on defense that won't help. And the expectations were for him to be a terrible defender and for those two to counter each other out or him wind up being a net negative. When he gives you anything above that, it's a bonus though and that allows him to be a positive.

He's old and decrepit. And he was a poor defender in his prime. So I wouldn't expect too much of him there. But I'll be happy when he gives a good effort. And he's done that at times this season. Odd fact of the day is that Melo is averaging a career high in blocks at 0.8 this season despite playing the second lowest minutes per game of his career.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

I think Melo's been the brightest spot of this miserable season.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Carmelo had a spurt where he was an extremely dynamic scorer, but Pierce was a better player overall.

Carmelo was more entertainment to watch, but Pierce was probably more effective.

I'd go with Pierce, but I can see the case for Carmelo.

I know what u mean. I think Melo was the better talent but Pierce was the more effective player due to defensive focus and efficiency reasons (PP was the better 3 ball shooter when both were in their primes). Keep in mind, I believe Pierce complimented Melo heavily in Melo's prime saying what a true beast Carmelo Anthony was to try to stop. Something similar Kobe said in terms of Melo's strength and skill
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 14 of 21
Jump to: