Meanwhile, Buddy Hield breaking 3 point shot records
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Meanwhile, Buddy Hield breaking 3 point shot records

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/buddy-hield-tops-steph-curry-233441989.html

He's made more 3-pointers in his first 400 games than any other player, while Russell Westbrook is bricking layups and making more turnovers than any other time in his career.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Meanwhile, Buddy Hield breaking 3 point shot records

troy wrote:

He's made more 3-pointers in his first 400 games than any other player, while Russell Westbrook is bricking layups and making more turnovers than any other time in his career.

Yes, Im sure with LeBron out as long as he's been Hield would be leading us to the above .500 and playoff positioned record we currently have.

Curious how you failed to mention this record-breaking feat happened during a LOSS (their 4th in a row) which puts them at 5-8 and 11th in the West.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject:

breaking records, breaking hearts, splitting hairs
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject:

Hield is in his absolute prime while Westbrick is in his absolute (bleep) and ofc the Lakers got Westbrick. Washington is now 9-3 without Westbrick. Washington got to dump WB's salary while getting assets back from the Lakers. Maybe that's why they've experienced such a big turnaround. It should have been Washington giving us their first rounder for taking Westbrick.
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Hield is in his absolute prime while Westbrick is in his absolute (bleep) and ofc the Lakers got Westbrick. Washington is now 9-3 without Westbrick. Washington got to dump WB's salary while getting assets back from the Lakers. Maybe that's why they've experienced such a big turnaround. It should have been Washington giving us their first rounder for taking Westbrick.

This site is really becoming unbearable. And it is because of this guy and the other three posters like him who just (bleep) and moan non stop. This website needs an ignore feature badly. Just such bad takes constantly, entitlement, whining. We get it, you don't like this team or front office. Move on. (bleep) annoying.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

BigJosh951 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

This site is really becoming unbearable. And it is because of this guy and the other three posters like him who just (bleep) and moan non stop. This website needs an ignore feature badly. Just such bad takes constantly, entitlement, whining. We get it, you don't like this team or front office. Move on. (bleep) annoying.

Real, passionate fans complain and criticize so hopefully changes will be made for the better. Ignorant fans just know how to cheer. I want to see the Lakers do well that's why I care enough to point out all the flaws so hopefully something can be done about it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject:

The interesting that I find about this obsession with Hield and keeping one asset of the 3 that went to Washington (because apparently two were going in the Hield trade, I think no Trez) is that it was a deal structured by the same people in charge that end up going with WB.

We have no real understanding of what went down behind the scenes to make them prefer WB in the end. I do know there was a talk between AD, Bron, WB. Now whether we like it or not, AD and Bron are huge part of what happens in terms of their supporting cast. As are most superstars on teams that actually want to keep their superstars. Why AD and Bron showed a preference for WB, and why Pelinka agreed to it, IDK exactly. I have my theories, but I'm not sure. I want to wait to see the big 3 play 20 games together before I comment.

Back to this, it also is interesting that the same dudes we're all going crazy over, were brought in, scouted and developed by Pelinka and Vogel. The same guys that everyone is so upset at. I mean, if these guys helped get us those guys, that Pelinka (with influence of AD/Bron) traded away or let go in FA (Carushow!) then perhaps we should have some faith they will find and develop new guys like that.

I mean for example a guy like Reaves. Out of nowhere we brought in a guy and he looks like such a good fit around AD/Bron and with coach Vogel. Monk, he lacks consistency, but you're seeing things with him, and he's only 23-24, When we signed Caruso, for a 2 year deal, he was 25. THT is 21. So we have three guys there we can bring up in Vogel's system to develop. Reaves, THT and Monk. Those guys are all 21-23 years age range and can still develop niche roles around AD/Bron.

So then it just comes down to trading guys that some used to argue were not assets (KCP, Kuz, Harrell) for an all-star player like Westbrook who so far has not fit in. You look back at all of Lebron's teams, when they added stars together. They all began slow. This was before Lebron even physically declined as he has in Laker uniform. Miami began slow. Kyrie/Lebron/Love era took time. There hasn't been a single big 3 in Lebron era that started off red hot and took over the league in the first 20 games. That's not even taking into account that Lebron himself hasn't been part of this process.

Anyway Hield may have been solid. We may have been better off with this roster:

Dennis 20M (83M/4) Caruso 9M (37M/4)
Hield 23M Reaves 1M
Lebron 41M THT 10M Baze 2.5M
AD 35M Melo 2.5M
Dwight 2.5M Trez 11M

About the same salaries as we currently are paying when you add that we would need to add some more vet mins.

It's definitely possible, the above roster is way better. However what's interesting is the same person that was angling to put that kind of roster together is the one that put this roster together. The same coach that developed many of the guys like Caruso, KCP, Kuz in the roles they had for last 2 year's teams, is with us. It's not like we suddenly became inept at that.

What happened is we went for a 3rd star in WB, after AD/Bron/WB all decided they could make it work. WB pushed to come to LA. We may kick ourselves for going this way, but in the end, I do trust that we will develop guys around AD/Bron/WB the way we did with KCP, Kuz, Caruso. Trez never fit, so not counting him. But we will find some guys that will fit.

Even Hield, Melo is doing everything we could have gotten from Hield. And Monk is emerging as well. At vet min rates. It's the WB fit and Lebron injury. That's the reason for the slow start, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
BigJosh951 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Real, passionate fans complain and criticize so hopefully changes will be made for the better. Ignorant fans just know how to cheer. I want to see the Lakers do well that's why I care enough to point out all the flaws so hopefully something can be done about it.

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard there. That response was funny. Such assumptions. Such entitlement. Such ego.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

Good for Hield. Wish him to keep doing it on his .300 teams each year

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The interesting that I find about this obsession with Hield and keeping one asset of the 3 that went to Washington (because apparently two were going in the Hield trade, I think no Trez) is that it was a deal structured by the same people in charge that end up going with WB.

We have no real understanding of what went down behind the scenes to make them prefer WB in the end. I do know there was a talk between AD, Bron, WB. Now whether we like it or not, AD and Bron are huge part of what happens in terms of their supporting cast. As are most superstars on teams that actually want to keep their superstars. Why AD and Bron showed a preference for WB, and why Pelinka agreed to it, IDK exactly. I have my theories, but I'm not sure. I want to wait to see the big 3 play 20 games together before I comment.

Back to this, it also is interesting that the same dudes we're all going crazy over, were brought in, scouted and developed by Pelinka and Vogel. The same guys that everyone is so upset at. I mean, if these guys helped get us those guys, that Pelinka (with influence of AD/Bron) traded away or let go in FA (Carushow!) then perhaps we should have some faith they will find and develop new guys like that.

I mean for example a guy like Reaves. Out of nowhere we brought in a guy and he looks like such a good fit around AD/Bron and with coach Vogel. Monk, he lacks consistency, but you're seeing things with him, and he's only 23-24, When we signed Caruso, for a 2 year deal, he was 25. THT is 21. So we have three guys there we can bring up in Vogel's system to develop. Reaves, THT and Monk. Those guys are all 21-23 years age range and can still develop niche roles around AD/Bron.

So then it just comes down to trading guys that some used to argue were not assets (KCP, Kuz, Harrell) for an all-star player like Westbrook who so far has not fit in. You look back at all of Lebron's teams, when they added stars together. They all began slow. This was before Lebron even physically declined as he has in Laker uniform. Miami began slow. Kyrie/Lebron/Love era took time. There hasn't been a single big 3 in Lebron era that started off red hot and took over the league in the first 20 games. That's not even taking into account that Lebron himself hasn't been part of this process.

Hield 23M Reaves 1M
AD 35M Melo 2.5M
Dwight 2.5M Trez 11M

About the same salaries as we currently are paying when you add that we would need to add some more vet mins.

It's definitely possible, the above roster is way better. However what's interesting is the same person that was angling to put that kind of roster together is the one that put this roster together. The same coach that developed many of the guys like Caruso, KCP, Kuz in the roles they had for last 2 year's teams, is with us. It's not like we suddenly became inept at that.

What happened is we went for a 3rd star in WB, after AD/Bron/WB all decided they could make it work. WB pushed to come to LA. We may kick ourselves for going this way, but in the end, I do trust that we will develop guys around AD/Bron/WB the way we did with KCP, Kuz, Caruso. Trez never fit, so not counting him. But we will find some guys that will fit.

Even Hield, Melo is doing everything we could have gotten from Hield. And Monk is emerging as well. At vet min rates. It's the WB fit and Lebron injury. That's the reason for the slow start, IMO.

Melo is old who just went on a "small hot shooting streak" and you're already putting him on the same level as Hield. Career wise, Melo is 35% and Hield is 40% from three.

Hield would replace Green on our championship roster in which we just needed a floor spreader to spread the floor for Lebron and AD. Westbrick allows defenders to clog the paint which makes it harder for AD to post up. AD is hesitant to post up because he wants to clear the painted area for WB to drive.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

Melo has been a good 3 point shooter the last few years. It's not a streak. When he was the go to player he took a lot of isolation 3s and stuff like that, which affected I believe his percentages. But I believe in the last 2 years and now this year he is legit an elite catch and shoot 3 point shooter. Not sure on the actual catch and shoot 3 data but his 3 point shootings is as follows

21-22 46.6%
20-21 40.9%
19-20 38.5%

This isn't a hot streak. He wanted to stick in the league so he worked very hard to identify himself as an elite 3 point shooter.

No I'm not expecting a 50% three point shooter. But with the open looks he's getting with WB/AD, and soon WB/AD/Bron. Safe to say he will be up there in the percentages.

Hield is a volume 3 point guy, but he is not a deadeye high percentage shooter. In the league he ranks the following as a 3 point shooter. Also, on a team with AD and Bron, no way he is getting off 10+ three pointers a game.

Hield ranks in percentage

21-22 49th
20-21 67th

Ironically in 20-21 both Ellington and Malik Monk ranked higher in percentages of 3 point shooting than Hield. We got those 2 guys for vet mins. Ellington makes 2.5(on 6) a game. Monk 2 on 5. We have three point shooters galore this year in Melo, Monk, Ellington. It's not Hield we miss.

We miss KCP, Caruso etc defense on the ball. We miss having that AD/Bron team chemistry. The Hield trade would have been fine, but it was not something that was going to tilt us into title favorites IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject:

The handful of posters who are constantly complaining simply hate Westbrook. They hated the trade the moment it went down. So while the Lakers struggle with injuries and figuring each other out, they will pounce at every turn every time one of their precious former or potential Lakers (AC, Kuzma, Heild, KCP, etc.) does well, regardless of circumstances or context.

BTW, if you think a Washington Wizards team lead by Bradley Beal and a bunch of roleplayers has a better chance than a fully healthy Lakers squad to win the chip this year, just based on very early standings/records, I would seriously question your basketball knowledge.

Give me a flawed team with multiple all-star/HOF talents than a one all-star team any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject:

Trading for Westbrook was a mistake. Sooner or later we will all come to realize that. But we can't keep crying over spilled milk. This is the team we have.

Last edited by Lakeshow23_ on Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Hield 23M Reaves 1M
AD 35M Melo 2.5M
Dwight 2.5M Trez 11M

Melo is old who just went on a "small hot shooting streak" and you're already putting him on the same level as Hield. Career wise, Melo is 35% and Hield is 40% from three.

Hield would replace Green on our championship roster in which we just needed a floor spreader to spread the floor for Lebron and AD. Westbrick allows defenders to clog the paint which makes it harder for AD to post up. AD is hesitant to post up because he wants to clear the painted area for WB to drive.

Hield couldn't play defense like Green if his life depended on it

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

Melo showed in the last game (and every road game) that if his shot isn’t falling, he has no impact on the game.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Melo has been a good 3 point shooter the last few years. It's not a streak. When he was the go to player he took a lot of isolation 3s and stuff like that, which affected I believe his percentages. But I believe in the last 2 years and now this year he is legit an elite catch and shoot 3 point shooter. Not sure on the actual catch and shoot 3 data but his 3 point shootings is as follows

21-22 46.6%
20-21 40.9%
19-20 38.5%

This isn't a hot streak. He wanted to stick in the league so he worked very hard to identify himself as an elite 3 point shooter.

No I'm not expecting a 50% three point shooter. But with the open looks he's getting with WB/AD, and soon WB/AD/Bron. Safe to say he will be up there in the percentages.

Hield is a volume 3 point guy, but he is not a deadeye high percentage shooter. In the league he ranks the following as a 3 point shooter. Also, on a team with AD and Bron, no way he is getting off 10+ three pointers a game.

21-22 49th
20-21 67th

Ironically in 20-21 both Ellington and Malik Monk ranked higher in percentages of 3 point shooting than Hield. We got those 2 guys for vet mins. Ellington makes 2.5(on 6) a game. Monk 2 on 5. We have three point shooters galore this year in Melo, Monk, Ellington. It's not Hield we miss.

We miss KCP, Caruso etc defense on the ball. We miss having that AD/Bron team chemistry. The Hield trade would have been fine, but it was not something that was going to tilt us into title favorites IMO.

Good point. I guess WB or Hield would have little implication on our championship chances. I guess we went out and gotten a lot of shooting but didn't care how it would affect our defense. Still, I think a safe bet would have been to keep everyone that we won the ring with.

We could have had almost everyone from 2019 minus McGee and Green this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject:

Good for Buddy, the Kings can use some positive recognition. I would have been okay if the Lakers had traded for him, just as I was okay with trading for Westbrook. I understand last ditch attempts to try to milk another title out of Lebron but won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t happen. It is early but there are clearly better teams in the league.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Meanwhile, Buddy Hield breaking 3 point shot records

Batguano wrote:
troy wrote:

Yes, Im sure with LeBron out as long as he's been Hield would be leading us to the above .500 and playoff positioned record we currently have.

Curious how you failed to mention this record-breaking feat happened during a LOSS (their 4th in a row) which puts them at 5-8 and 11th in the West.

How much winning was AD doing in New Orleans? Fact is one player can only do so much for a team if their roster construction is bad.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

Hield would come to LA and shoot the same as he had in the past and people would think he lost his shot once he joined the team. I’ve seen him stink up the joint several times when his teams have played the Lakers. I don’t know if it’s the Mychal Thompson hype or why he is rated so high around here.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

21-22 46.6%
20-21 40.9%
19-20 38.5%

21-22 49th
20-21 67th

Exactly. The Lakers aren't lacking anything that Buddy would have provided. It's the acquisition of Westbrook on its own that looks misguided.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

oh, and buddy would give us exactly what if he shot wasn't falling? no handles, no D. he's a supercharged wayne ellington.

venturalakersfan wrote:
Melo showed in the last game (and every road game) that if his shot isn’t falling, he has no impact on the game.
Swagron12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
BigJosh951 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I’m sure the front office comes to this site daily to read these asinine tales. Do you realistically think coming here whining and/or posting unrealistic trades really accomplishes anything lo?

Definitely agree that an ignore feature needs to be implemented.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Malik Monk is better than Buddy Hield .
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

To the OP you look foolish this problem is not going to go away with three point shots is buddy Hield going to improve our defense

This team is really not having a problem with the three point shot it’s that they’re shooting too many of them I’m not playing defense
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

So you believe that your posts here will elicit a response from the Lakers? You really believe you are so central to the universe that the Lakers pay attention to you and your thoughts? And if you believe this, it doesn't strike you as a symptom of mental illness?

Literally no one from the Lakers knows who you are, nor cares in the least about your emotional outbursts and attention seeking on this forum. Not one. You're not special...none of us are. The Lakers will go on making dumb moves, smart moves, so so moves, none of which are in the least bit motivated by anything any of us posts online.

Real fans may well complain, but sane fans do not believe anyone on the team cares about said complaints.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: