CARMELO ANTHONY Official Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject:

Friendly reminder that we could've added a prime, 26-year-old Carmelo Anthony in 2011 but Jim Buss rejected the trade because he didn't want to part with his precious Bynum.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/carmelo-anthony-for-andrew-bynum-trade-proposal-turned-lakers-jim-buss-son-owner-article-1.135333

Imagine a team of Kobe, Melo, Gasol, Odom, Artest, Fisher all still in their relative primes, coached by Phil Jackson, going for a 3-peat. It definitely would've saved wear and tear on Kobe's legs and perhaps he wouldn't have ruptured his achilles down the line.

Yes, Jim Buss ended up trading him for Dwight Howard down the line (which at the time seemed like an even better trade), but we all know how that experiment ended.

If it wasn't for Jimbo we could've added Jason Kidd (in 2007), Chris Bosh (in 2010) or Carmelo Anthony (in 2011) to our championship nucleus of the late 2000's.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject:

(bleep) reading that makes me so angry. And then you still got pieces for another trade, maybe not CP3 but Gasol, Odom can get you something great in return. Kobe-Melo, damn

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject:

I lowkey have always been a huge fan of Carmelo Anthony. I bought his shoes, 2k game for pc, etc., his rookie year. He had the most eye pleasing game to watch. He has always been clutch. I was very quiet during the trade rumors. So much slander at the time. Glad I get to watch him on the Lakers.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
(bleep) reading that makes me so angry. And then you still got pieces for another trade, maybe not CP3 but Gasol, Odom can get you something great in return. Kobe-Melo, damn

Wonder how Phil would have fit with Melo. He was not very cooperative to the Triangle in NY. What was the deal? I recall some talk about this, and I assume it was Bynum, Metta, draft picks for Melo?

Would have probably given Kobe that elusive 6th he deserved to match MJ. Always saddens me looking back that we couldnt get one more ring out of Kobe's last 2 star level years (11-12, 12-13). We first went with horrid coaching choices, alienated Odom/Gasol. Did a lot of weird stuff (sent Fish, a leader, packing). I wish we had gotten that 6th for KB. Melo on paper would have put us on the top, if he had fit in which is a big if.

I was def not Kobe's biggest fan, but that 6th ring, dude, he deserved a crack at that. Just a shame the way we broke down in 2010-2011 season and onward.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Wonder how Phil would have fit with Melo. He was not very cooperative to the Triangle in NY. What was the deal? I recall some talk about this, and I assume it was Bynum, Metta, draft picks for Melo?

Would have probably given Kobe that elusive 6th he deserved to match MJ. Always saddens me looking back that we couldnt get one more ring out of Kobe's last 2 star level years (11-12, 12-13). We first went with horrid coaching choices, alienated Odom/Gasol. Did a lot of weird stuff (sent Fish, a leader, packing). I wish we had gotten that 6th for KB. Melo on paper would have put us on the top, if he had fit in which is a big if.

I was def not Kobe's biggest fan, but that 6th ring, dude, he deserved a crack at that. Just a shame the way we broke down in 2010-2011 season and onward.

Well the trade would have happened somewhere mid season 2010-11 right? That would give him half a year with Phil only, so even if it doesn't work out there would have been opportunities with different coaches in the coming years.

I don't remember actually anything about the rumor, the most trade and free agent stuff I read was when it was already done, or close to be. The Howard trade was the first one I was really following and invested into. So reading stuff like this years later makes me angry.

Shaq left in 2004, Kobe spent 3 years of his absolute prime with nobodies + Odom. That's all on the FO to me. And after the 2010 title as well, too many wasted years with a generational talent. Kobe tore his achilles in 2013, in 9 years of his prime we won only 2 chips (let's say his prime is until 2013, but he was overplayed and that's the main reason for his injury, so with better support maybe he stays at that level a bit longer). We didn't maximize on Kobe and he's the one I feel the most for.

Also, Melos image would have been much different if he won chips in his prime. And with Kobe, Gasol, Odom (or whoever we trade the later two for the next season), that would have been possible.

Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Per ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6101304

"The Nuggets have no interest in Lakers forward Ron Artest and sources said they may not insist on getting Odom either. A straight-up trade of Anthony for Bynum meets the financial requirements of the collective bargaining agreement, but more players could be involved since Denver would look to shed as much salary as possible."

So we could've presumably kept Artest as well.

I think with Kobe's presence Melo would've fallen in line. Plus it's different having Phil as an actual coach than having him "coach" from the sidelines like he did on the Knicks.

According to the articles both Kobe and Phil were (rightfully) pissed that Jimbo nixed the trade.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

Carmelo Anthony could have pro-longed Kobe’s career... Jim Buss is a freaking idiot so glad he is no longer with the Lakers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Carmelo Anthony could have pro-longed Kobe’s career... Jim Buss is a freaking idiot so glad he is no longer with the Lakers.

He is a Laker owner.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject:

one thing's for sure, melo is the closest thing we have to Buddy (maybe even just as good?) he needs to be on the floor at all times with Russ. it opens up the floor for WB to drive.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Melo was the ideal Triangle player. Coming to LA with Kobe would've been a different experience than being in NY under 'Antoni.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
one thing's for sure, melo is the closest thing we have to Buddy (maybe even just as good?) he needs to be on the floor at all times with Russ. it opens up the floor for WB to drive.

buddy is younger, and obviously would be starting. if we want RW to drive, you can't have AB and Baze with AD and DJ out there, teams will just pack it in.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Melo was the ideal Triangle player. Coming to LA with Kobe would've been a different experience than being in NY under 'Antoni.

ideal as the center guy like KObe/MJ? that would be a no due to passing ability
but he is ideal as a weakside attacker for sure.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

It's funny. What made Kobe special was that he didn't force his way always to play with his best friends and talent. If he had with Melo who was a huge Kobe guy (and vice-versa) would have been very interesting. Now that I've actually seen Melo play, damn, would have been fun. Pau, LO, Melo, Kobe, Fish. I think even with Pau's mental and physical decline, LO being on drugs, we would have gotten one more run there.

In a way, Bron being Klutch and all that comes with him, cements that he always gets the best talent he can play with. Very interesting. Just looking back, wish we would have gotten that chance for Kobe. In fairness to Jim and Mitch, they did try to get CP3 and Howard. And we all know what happened there. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's funny. What made Kobe special was that he didn't force his way always to play with his best friends and talent. If he had with Melo who was a huge Kobe guy (and vice-versa) would have been very interesting. Now that I've actually seen Melo play, damn, would have been fun. Pau, LO, Melo, Kobe, Fish. I think even with Pau's mental and physical decline, LO being on drugs, we would have gotten one more run there.

In a way, Bron being Klutch and all that comes with him, cements that he always gets the best talent he can play with. Very interesting. Just looking back, wish we would have gotten that chance for Kobe. In fairness to Jim and Mitch, they did try to get CP3 and Howard. And we all know what happened there. Oh well.

Kobe tried. Ultimately, he and Dr. Buss came to an agreement: the Lakers would pay Kobe the max and never ask for salary concessions to improve the team, while Kobe would let the FO do their job without interference.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

That midrange post game with players coming off split cuts...

Weakside pinch post, fake a handoff to Kobe and attack or jab step and hit the 16-footer with the D worried about everything...

Would have worked well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Interesting stat from John Ireland, Melo is shooting 6% from 3 on the road.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:

Wait I thought the Melo trade was for both Gasol and Bynum? Holy crap if it was just Bynum...dude.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Wait I thought the Melo trade was for both Gasol and Bynum? Holy crap if it was just Bynum...dude.

And WE were the ones to turn it down

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He is a Laker owner.

And a bum.. thankfully not in charge of bball ops any longer.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Friendly reminder that we could've added a prime, 26-year-old Carmelo Anthony in 2011 but Jim Buss rejected the trade because he didn't want to part with his precious Bynum.

And then the next off-season traded Bynum(who never played again really) for prime Dwight Howard. Whom he paired with Steve Nash. After the previous off-season landing Chris Paul. Think of THAT longevity too. When we play the What if game.

Say what we will. But Jim Buss pulled off Chris Paul in one off-season which was robbed from us. Then the following off-season got us Steve Nash AND Dwight Howard.

If Nash doesn't get hurt, who knows what happens with that.

Last edited by MJST on Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I can't see him leaving the Lakers.

Staples center will prolong his career. His shooting there is just unbelievable.

He is balling, there is no question about it. I admit to being wrong.

You weren't close to being as wrong as the poster you were quoting. He's been mocking and hating on Melo for the past 2 years, ever since I suggested the Lakers should sign him.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject:

The amazingly high percentage on 3's will come down to earth as the season progresses, but the dude deserves major, major props for adapting his game, evolving from a volume scorer to a stretch big that can mid-range ISO and play physical defense when needed/motivated.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Melo is balling. should have signed him 2 years back
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
Melo is balling. should have signed him 2 years back

Was he willing to play this role back then though? Seemed like he still had starter demands or was not as fully onboard into this 6th man type role as he is now.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

It feels like Melo has gone the Dwight route, accepting the fleeting nature of opportunity at this stage of his career and embracing a team approach. Still going to be himself. But he has been putting in work for sure.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 13 of 21
Jump to: