Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 393, 394, 395

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject:

If there was ever a time I thought a Braves win was inevitable it was in 1996. Their position in 1996 looked better than it ever did in the 1995 World Series.

But this Braves team was pretty clutch. Their hitters didn’t choke in the big moments, their pitchers were really good, and overall the team is better than their record.

They were 8-4 in the postseason last year, and 11-5 this year. They surprised me last year with how tough they were. I’m not confident the Giants would have beaten them.

We didn’t lose to some weak team or to a team that got lucky. If Morton was healthy I’m not sure the Astros take more than one game from them (but we’ll never know).

Last edited by Steve007 on Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Drifts wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Anyway...What I was gonna say earlier. Astros beating us in game 7 at home was one of the worst sports experiences I've had. That's because after Darvish choked after the first couple of innings, the deficit was so large, that you just knew we had no chance the rest of the game. Watching the rest of the game was as brutal of a sports experience that I've ever had...Almost like a slow torture.

For them to be going through the same thing tonight...Down huge at home, with no legitimate chance to make it a game, with the other team ready to celebrate on their field...is great karma for that year.

but Astros beat us at home though... I'm not sure they had the mechanisms to cheat in Dodgers Stadium. Just saying.

Game 3-5 was the one where they cheated on us, I think. They won games 3 and 5

We won Game 4 with Alex Wood starting, and Wood was apparently so concerned about sign-stealing that he was going with multiple signs on every pitch, including without anyone on base. I have no idea why we didn't continue that in Game 5 with Kershaw, especially when he was getting literally no swings and misses for the first 3 innings.

Anyway, congrats to the Braves and their fans. Others have mentioned Freeman and Joc, but you have to feel good for Brian Snitker, who is a baseball lifer and a Braves lifer in particular. Dude has been in their organization for 45 years! Was a minor league manager for so many years, a major league coach for a while too. Finally got a shot to manage the big club after he turned 60. Talk about a journey.

This is the most perplexing thing and I asked the same question at the time. Why in the world wasn't this information passed on to the rest of the pitching staff and if it was why didn't they take the precautions. It seems like gross negligence up and down the line.

We had big leads twice in that game with Kershaw on the mound. And our bullpen got destroyed too. It’s amazing we lost in extra innings. We blow them out in that game if we were more suspicious of them.

And we only lost game 3 by two runs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Drifts wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Anyway...What I was gonna say earlier. Astros beating us in game 7 at home was one of the worst sports experiences I've had. That's because after Darvish choked after the first couple of innings, the deficit was so large, that you just knew we had no chance the rest of the game. Watching the rest of the game was as brutal of a sports experience that I've ever had...Almost like a slow torture.

For them to be going through the same thing tonight...Down huge at home, with no legitimate chance to make it a game, with the other team ready to celebrate on their field...is great karma for that year.

but Astros beat us at home though... I'm not sure they had the mechanisms to cheat in Dodgers Stadium. Just saying.

We won Game 4 with Alex Wood starting, and Wood was apparently so concerned about sign-stealing that he was going with multiple signs on every pitch, including without anyone on base. I have no idea why we didn't continue that in Game 5 with Kershaw, especially when he was getting literally no swings and misses for the first 3 innings.

Anyway, congrats to the Braves and their fans. Others have mentioned Freeman and Joc, but you have to feel good for Brian Snitker, who is a baseball lifer and a Braves lifer in particular. Dude has been in their organization for 45 years! Was a minor league manager for so many years, a major league coach for a while too. Finally got a shot to manage the big club after he turned 60. Talk about a journey.

This is the most perplexing thing and I asked the same question at the time. Why in the world wasn't this information passed on to the rest of the pitching staff and if it was why didn't they take the precautions. It seems like gross negligence up and down the line.

We had big leads twice in that game with Kershaw on the mound. And our bullpen got destroyed too. It’s amazing we lost in extra innings. We blow them out in that game if we were more suspicious of them.

Yes, they knew was Kershaw was throwing so he got hit. But then the other problem was that our high-leverage relievers were spent because it was the third day in a row for them. Maeda came in to relieve Kershaw after he couldn't get out of that 5th inning and had absolutely nothing on his slider, and they homered off him. Later we brought in Morrow, who was used in literally every single game that postseason, and he had nothing as well and they hit him hard. Although Morrow gave up a double in Game 2 in the 8th and Bregman came around to score, it was just a lucky fly ball late swing that landed just inside the right field foul line. Morrow was fine in Game 3 (on a day of rest), in Game 4 (back-to-back games), in Game 6 (on a day of rest), and again in Game 7 (back-to-back games). The only time he really got cuffed around was on that third day in a row, Game 5.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

Kershaw was told by Wood to change signs every 10 pitches and didn't do it because he didn't want his routine messed up. We didn't do it at home because I don't the Dodgers felt they were cheating as capably on the road.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Drifts wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Yes, they knew was Kershaw was throwing so he got hit. But then the other problem was that our high-leverage relievers were spent because it was the third day in a row for them. Maeda came in to relieve Kershaw after he couldn't get out of that 5th inning and had absolutely nothing on his slider, and they homered off him. Later we brought in Morrow, who was used in literally every single game that postseason, and he had nothing as well and they hit him hard. Although Morrow gave up a double in Game 2 in the 8th and Bregman came around to score, it was just a lucky fly ball late swing that landed just inside the right field foul line. Morrow was fine in Game 3 (on a day of rest), in Game 4 (back-to-back games), in Game 6 (on a day of rest), and again in Game 7 (back-to-back games). The only time he really got cuffed around was on that third day in a row, Game 5.

Dammit CS, you're bringing back all the bad memories of that series. I really thought us winning it last year would ease the pain of that series. But nah, I can still remember every single detail, including what you pointed out above. Wasn't the double by Correa in game 2 almost caught by Puig before bouncing into the stands? I can vividly remember Yasiel slamming his glove to the ground in disgust.

But still to this day I'm still so freakin' pissed at Joc for striking out with Cody on 3rd and one out in the bottom of the 7th. Going up 4-1 in that instance, I think we're safe and I truly don't think we'd blow a 2-0 series lead.

I can still remember Seager's scream of joy after hitting his go-ahead 2 run shot. That dude like never shows any emotion and I just felt at that point, WE were that team of destiny.

Man...F those cheating Astros.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

It’s been 395 pages of fun..pain..sadness..happiness..

Time for the 2022 thread. See y’all there folks.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Chicago Cubs picked up left-hander Wade Miley off waivers from the Cincinnati Reds on Friday, the team announced.

Miley, 34, went 12-7 with a 3.37 ERA in 2021, his second season with the Reds. He's set to make $10 million via a contract option for the 2022 season.

Guess we didn’t want none of that

Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers offer qualifying offers to Corey Seager, Chris Taylor, but not Clayton Kershaw

Quote:
Houston Astros extended offers to shortstop Carlos Correa and right-hander Justin Verlander. The latter missed all of 2021 following Tommy John surgery, but the 38-year-old hopes to return next season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Since there is no general baseball thread.

My Cards win 5 Gold Gloves and the real surprise is that one of them wasn’t Yadi Molina.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Since there is no general baseball thread.

My Cards win 5 Gold Gloves and the real surprise is that one of them wasn’t Yadi Molina.

I think it’s a record. It’s amazing how the team struggled all year until the end with that type of defense.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Not something I like to read:

Early MLB free agency predictions link Giants to Dodgers pitchers Max Scherzer, Kenley Jansen
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers take a shot on a reclamation project with Andrew Heaney. Has never been able to keep the ball in the yard. K rate went up last year, stuff is still OK, but he really struggles with home runs. A 1 year, $8.5MM gamble, basically.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
The Chicago Cubs picked up left-hander Wade Miley off waivers from the Cincinnati Reds on Friday, the team announced.

Miley, 34, went 12-7 with a 3.37 ERA in 2021, his second season with the Reds. He's set to make $10 million via a contract option for the 2022 season.

Guess we didn’t want none of that

Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers offer qualifying offers to Corey Seager, Chris Taylor, but not Clayton Kershaw

Quote:
Houston Astros extended offers to shortstop Carlos Correa and right-hander Justin Verlander. The latter missed all of 2021 following Tommy John surgery, but the 38-year-old hopes to return next season.

Maybe somebody who is more familiar with how free agency works, but wouldn't extending qualifying offers to players you know won't be coming back at least get you some draft picks?
If so wouldn't the front office feel like they have a better shot at retaining Kershaw than Seager or CT3 by not giving him a qualifying offer?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Time for 2022 thread with the off-season moves!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Maybe somebody who is more familiar with how free agency works, but wouldn't extending qualifying offers to players you know won't be coming back at least get you some draft picks?

Well, you have to be sure they won't take the 1 yr $18.4M offer. You only offer it if you don't think they'll take it. If you think they'll take it, you don't offer it.

lakersken80 wrote:
If so wouldn't the front office feel like they have a better shot at retaining Kershaw than Seager or CT3 by not giving him a qualifying offer?

Yeah, they have a great shot at retaining Kershaw since he's going to command the least $ for the least amount of years. It's just a matter of do they want him back or not.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Dodgers take a shot on a reclamation project with Andrew Heaney. Has never been able to keep the ball in the yard. K rate went up last year, stuff is still OK, but he really struggles with home runs. A 1 year, $8.5MM gamble, basically.

Welcome back home Andrew!!!

Hopefully a Price replacement (if bought out). Anything more than a 4th or 5th starter and we be in trouble.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Hopefully a Price replacement (if bought out). Anything more than a 4th or 5th starter and we be in trouble.

Dude had some bad numbers last few years but he does strike out alot of batters.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Dude had some bad numbers last few years but he does strike out alot of batters.

Yeah, they like the high strikeout rate and the low walk rate. Hoping that they can somehow get him to keep the ball in the park. Who knows if he can.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Prior might be thinking his magic will work on Heaney...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

Probably.

It’s a wonder they paid so much when they let both Pederson and Kike go for similar amounts.

It’s also a wonder they’re willing to spend $8.5M on Heaney but not $18.4M on Kershaw
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Probably.

It’s a wonder they paid so much when they let both Pederson and Kike go for similar amounts.

It’s also a wonder they’re willing to spend $8.5M on Heaney but not $18.4M on Kershaw

Kershaw's elbow might be a ticking time bomb.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Probably.

Kershaw's elbow might be a ticking time bomb.

Yup. But when you compare it to Heaney...

Seems to be an expensive gamble. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the last project starter that worked out for us. I know Friedman is very good with relievers.

McCarthy
Kazmir
Brett Anderson (worked for the first year, not so much the 2nd)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 393, 394, 395
Page 395 of 395
Jump to: