Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Anyway...What I was gonna say earlier. Astros beating us in game 7 at home was one of the worst sports experiences I've had. That's because after Darvish choked after the first couple of innings, the deficit was so large, that you just knew we had no chance the rest of the game. Watching the rest of the game was as brutal of a sports experience that I've ever had...Almost like a slow torture.

For them to be going through the same thing tonight...Down huge at home, with no legitimate chance to make it a game, with the other team ready to celebrate on their field...is great karma for that year.

but Astros beat us at home though... I'm not sure they had the mechanisms to cheat in Dodgers Stadium. Just saying.

Game 3-5 was the one where they cheated on us, I think. They won games 3 and 5

We won Game 4 with Alex Wood starting, and Wood was apparently so concerned about sign-stealing that he was going with multiple signs on every pitch, including without anyone on base. I have no idea why we didn't continue that in Game 5 with Kershaw, especially when he was getting literally no swings and misses for the first 3 innings.

Anyway, congrats to the Braves and their fans. Others have mentioned Freeman and Joc, but you have to feel good for Brian Snitker, who is a baseball lifer and a Braves lifer in particular. Dude has been in their organization for 45 years! Was a minor league manager for so many years, a major league coach for a while too. Finally got a shot to manage the big club after he turned 60. Talk about a journey.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Drifts wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Anyway...What I was gonna say earlier. Astros beating us in game 7 at home was one of the worst sports experiences I've had. That's because after Darvish choked after the first couple of innings, the deficit was so large, that you just knew we had no chance the rest of the game. Watching the rest of the game was as brutal of a sports experience that I've ever had...Almost like a slow torture.

For them to be going through the same thing tonight...Down huge at home, with no legitimate chance to make it a game, with the other team ready to celebrate on their field...is great karma for that year.

but Astros beat us at home though... I'm not sure they had the mechanisms to cheat in Dodgers Stadium. Just saying.

We won Game 4 with Alex Wood starting, and Wood was apparently so concerned about sign-stealing that he was going with multiple signs on every pitch, including without anyone on base. I have no idea why we didn't continue that in Game 5 with Kershaw, especially when he was getting literally no swings and misses for the first 3 innings.

for sure, props to Wood... I believe Kershaw said something like he didn't bother with it because he wanted to focus on pitching. wrong move Kersh.

Quote:

Anyway, congrats to the Braves and their fans. Others have mentioned Freeman and Joc, but you have to feel good for Brian Snitker, who is a baseball lifer and a Braves lifer in particular. Dude has been in their organization for 45 years! Was a minor league manager for so many years, a major league coach for a while too. Finally got a shot to manage the big club after he turned 60. Talk about a journey.

I totally agree, happy for Snitker. They won doing things right.. without their best player Acuna Jr at that
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

For them to be going through the same thing tonight...Down huge at home, with no legitimate chance to make it a game, with the other team ready to celebrate on your field...is karma for that year.

This will be the second time they see another team celebrating on their home field. LOL.

I'm bummed out about our team not being here but seeing Houston fans go through this somewhat makes up for it. Also the texans and Rockets playing like crap is cherry on top.

Although I'm glad the Astros and their fans lost the World Series, nothing will ever make up for losing Game 7 of the World Series in '17 - especially at Dodger Stadium.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I never said that they cheated in our stadium in my post.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject:

One thing that's amazing is that the 90's Braves were so dominant, yet only won one championship (like us now, unfortunately). The irony is that they seemingly won so easily this year when no one in their right mind would have picked them to.

Last edited by leor_77 on Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject:

enough WS talk, don't care for either teams. let's start talking about Dodgers' off season.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
Its more fun following this game while reading the game thread in the Astros forum. Now they are going at it with each other. LOL

Care to post some quotes from the other side?

I am on my phone most of the time so it would take me forever to quote everyone. You get the idea. Bunch of salty fans but not as salty as the giants fans so not really worth quoting all those jack asses. LOL.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
enough WS talk, don't care for either teams. let's start talking about Dodgers' off season.

YES!!! We need to get a 2022 Dodgers thread started.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

So they cheated on the mid-terms but not on the final. They still cheated.

The funny thing is when people claim this as a reason to why their title is still legit.

Nobody has ever said that the Astros aren't a great team. Springer, Altuve, Bregman, Correa are all great players. They're fully capable of hitting the ball out of the park as they did in games 2 and 7 at Dodger Stadium.

Just because Marwin Gonzalez hit a homer of Kenley in the 9th inning in game 2 (ugh...still gives me nightmares), doesn't mean that they didn't cheat in games 3-5. They also probably wouldn't have even made the WS as they couldn't win a single game in New York in the ALCS.

Bottom line...so happy those stupid cheater lost. F them and hope they go into the tank next season and for many more after that.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

The Dodgers are the only team who had to play the three hottest teams (other than the Dodgers) in baseball (consecutively), eliminating two while losing to the third, when no other team had to play more than one.

Winning 106 games in a tough division and eighteen more than the champs means little.

It was a funny season, but still a good one.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
The Dodgers are the only team who had to play the three hottest teams (other than the Dodgers) in baseball (consecutively), eliminating two while losing to the third, when no other team had to play more than one.

Winning 106 games in a tough division and eighteen more than the champs means little.

Yeah even with everything that went on, with as hot as the Braves were, we still so, so easily could've been up 2-0 in the NLCS. Granted, the Braves blew Game 3, but if you play those first 3 games out 100 times, the Dodgers are probably up 2 games to 1 about 85% of the time. Just changes the entire series if we're up. Nonetheless, they beat us and they are most certainly deserving champions. Their front office didn't punt the season, they acquired quality major league outfielders, and they happened to all play like MVP's at different points of the postseason. And they got heroic efforts from Minter and Matzek and Smith, when none of them were unhittable in the regular season. As I said before, Matzek in particular reminded me of Joe Kelly's 2018 postseason with the Red Sox. An inconsistent guy that just put it all together with wipeout stuff when it mattered.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
One thing that's amazing is that the 90's Braves were so dominant, yet only won one championship (like us now, unfortunately). The irony is that they seemingly won so easily this year when no one in their right mind would have picked them to.

History might look back on these Dodgers the same way.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Yeah even with everything that went on, with as hot as the Braves were, we still so, so easily could've been up 2-0 in the NLCS. Granted, the Braves blew Game 3, but if you play those first 3 games out 100 times, the Dodgers are probably up 2 games to 1 about 85% of the time. Just changes the entire series if we're up. Nonetheless, they beat us and they are most certainly deserving champions. Their front office didn't punt the season, they acquired quality major league outfielders, and they happened to all play like MVP's at different points of the postseason. And they got heroic efforts from Minter and Matzek and Smith, when none of them were unhittable in the regular season. As I said before, Matzek in particular reminded me of Joe Kelly's 2018 postseason with the Red Sox. An inconsistent guy that just put it all together with wipeout stuff when it mattered.

The Braves were that team you think "They're going to be pretty good in couple years" with a ton of young talent, and then they get a couple pieces and it starts to click, and that momentum snowballs. They played .700 ball the last third of the season and they were just clicking come the playoffs. And yes, they had to come up big in a few games, but their pitching mostly kept big scoring lineups manageable for them, they closed out games, and when there were big moments, they were either very confident or just ignorant enough not to be scared of them.

The Dodgers were banged up and it's hard to repeat, and they had to expend a ton of energy on the Giants. I give them that, but the Braves didn't back into their title in any round. They brought it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

No surprise, but Bauer is officially opting in. Now we'll see what the league does.

In a huge surprise, Buster Posey is going to announce his retirement tomorrow. Just a huge loss for the Giants, that will be. I bet Zaidi will be very aggressive in free agency. They may not get a better catcher, but it may allow them to spend elsewhere.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Drifts wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

This is the most perplexing thing and I asked the same question at the time. Why in the world wasn't this information passed on to the rest of the pitching staff and if it was why didn't they take the precautions. It seems like gross negligence up and down the line.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
ribeye wrote:

The Braves were that team you think "They're going to be pretty good in couple years" with a ton of young talent, and then they get a couple pieces and it starts to click, and that momentum snowballs. They played .700 ball the last third of the season and they were just clicking come the playoffs. And yes, they had to come up big in a few games, but their pitching mostly kept big scoring lineups manageable for them, they closed out games, and when there were big moments, they were either very confident or just ignorant enough not to be scared of them.

The Dodgers were banged up and it's hard to repeat, and they had to expend a ton of energy on the Giants. I give them that, but the Braves didn't back into their title in any round. They brought it.

ChickNStu has been saying it and I'm in agreement. Braves had that team of destiny look once we started playing them.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
No surprise, but Bauer is officially opting in. Now we'll see what the league does.

In a huge surprise, Buster Posey is going to announce his retirement tomorrow. Just a huge loss for the Giants, that will be. I bet Zaidi will be very aggressive in free agency. They may not get a better catcher, but it may allow them to spend elsewhere.

Wow, I'm surprised with Buster. He showed this season that he's still a top notch catcher.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Wow, I'm surprised with Buster. He showed this season that he's still a top notch catcher.

There's been some debate on Twitter in the last hour, asking the question if Posey is a Hall Of Famer. I think the answer is undoubtedly "yes." Of course, his career WAR for the average HOF catcher will be lower, but when guys have exemplary shorter careers, they get in. His 7-year peak WAR is higher than an average HOF catcher, for one. Now add in an MVP, a ROY, and those 3 championships? I don't see how he doesn't get in, and likely he will get in on the first or second ballot.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Yeah, they have a mlb ready catching prospect in Joey Bart. I think he's ranked from 15-25 (depending on the publication) and mostly higher than Keibert Ruiz.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

whoah... much respect for Buster Posey, I thought he had like 2 years left... from the rival Giants, but I admire him and Lincecum th most.

as for Bauer, he might be the best pitcher in the MLB right now, and opting in is good news IMO. He might miss half the season though, but he'll come in handy for sure once he's available.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
At the end of next year, he can opt into a $32 million salary for the 2023 season -- or take a $15 million buyout and become a free agent. When Bauer signed, it was assumed he would pitch for the Dodgers in 2021 and 2022, then use the opt-out to hit free agency, having made $85 million over two seasons.

Bauer's going to cost us $85M for 2 years, wow.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
At the end of next year, he can opt into a $32 million salary for the 2023 season -- or take a $15 million buyout and become a free agent. When Bauer signed, it was assumed he would pitch for the Dodgers in 2021 and 2022, then use the opt-out to hit free agency, having made $85 million over two seasons.

I doubt it. The league is going to impose a lengthy suspension. I'm going to make the educated guess that he loses most or all of his 2022 salary and then will opt in to 2023, at which point we'll be on the hook for that. I guess it's possible that he could get better than 1 year, $18MM offers for 2023, so maybe he'd take the buyout.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Their top prospect is a catcher. Still, very surprising.

Respect to Buster -- he was always a worthy adversary, and one of the guys on the Giants who was actually really likeable.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

I doubt it. The league is going to impose a lengthy suspension. I'm going to make the educated guess that he loses most or all of his 2022 salary and then will opt in to 2023, at which point we'll be on the hook for that. I guess it's possible that he could get better than 1 year, $18MM offers for 2023, so maybe he'd take the buyout.

True.

That puts us in a precarious situation as we try to put together a team for next year.

He’s on the books for $45M next year. Do we proceed as if he’s on the team or not? Do we get another starting pitcher? Do we have $40M to play with while expecting he’ll be suspended?

Will Manfred let us know during the offseason?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

True.

That puts us in a precarious situation as we try to put together a team for next year.

He’s on the books for $45M next year. Do we proceed as if he’s on the team or not? Do we get another starting pitcher? Do we have $40M to play with while expecting he’ll be suspended?

Will Manfred let us know during the offseason?

Wouldn't surprise me if an owner got a wink wink from the commish that a suspension will be lengthy, if not telling him outright that it will be for the entire season. Jeff Passan has already floated it, weeks ago, that it could be a year-long suspension, and he seemed to have sources on that, not just putting it out there willy-nilly. I'd be shocked if he gets anything less than half the season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 394 of 395
Jump to: