*** Los Angeles Lakers @ Oklahoma City Thunder (10/27/21 @ 5:00 pm PT) Gm#5 ***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Pathetic loss. Total meltdown after going up by 26.

Loss of focus and defensive intensity. I am actually ill after watching that crap.

You and me both Four Decade. I probably need to go for a walk, it was humiliating to watch that.

This team was scoring I think like barely 94 points a game...and we gave up 104 in 3 quarters to them. And its not just one game of bad defensive stretches. Its every game so far...and what took the cake here is OKC had only 1 guy averaging double figures going into this game. Rather than the Lakers D having a healthy performance, it was their D being the remedy to OKC's scoring woes.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Team Last year:
PPG - 22nd
Opp/PG - 2nd

This year so far:
PPG - 5th
Opp/PG - 29th

I know it's early in the season and small sample size, but the glaring issue right now is our DEFENSE... This team is the opposite of last year's team. I expect those numbers to balance out more as the season goes on and we get a couple players back.

The sad thing is the only reason our PPG is high is because we're 3rd in pace. Super misleading stat.

Yes. Right now we are 16th in offense compared to 24th in offense last year. We have dropped from the #1 defense to #20.

So basically our offense has remained mediocre, but our defense has dropped off the cliff. That's not surprising since we got rid of our best perimeter defenders and replace them with poor defenders.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
Outrebounded by OKC

Two big guys playing like midgets...smh.

Also

DS looking good right about now..pffft...lol. Not 100mil which he didnt get but can we trade for him and McGee now?

Not our bigs, it is our defense. Way too many switches

They cant guard a 3 to save their life and at least drive them off the line and funnel them into their centers...smh.

It is our bigs switching on their smalls( especially AD) and force then to drive to our smalls inside, that can’t be good for any team
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

activeverb wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Team Last year:
PPG - 22nd
Opp/PG - 2nd

This year so far:
PPG - 5th
Opp/PG - 29th

I know it's early in the season and small sample size, but the glaring issue right now is our DEFENSE... This team is the opposite of last year's team. I expect those numbers to balance out more as the season goes on and we get a couple players back.

The sad thing is the only reason our PPG is high is because we're 3rd in pace. Super misleading stat.

Yes. Right now we are 16th in offense compared to 24th in offense last year. We have dropped from the #1 defense to #20.

So basically our offense has remained mediocre, but our defense has dropped off the cliff. That's not surprising since we got rid of our best perimeter defenders and replace them with poor defenders.

Active, do you see Nunn, THT, Ariza remedying this issue?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

Loss of focus and defensive intensity. I am actually ill after watching that crap.

Feeling salty as hell after watching that lack of effort, how poorly this team plays defense, and how it's matched with a low energy offense focused on standing still without the ball, and isolation plays leading to contested mid range jumpers. Against a very weak team. Great entertainment. At least for OKC fans looking for something, anything to feel good about.

PS5 time.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
Outrebounded by OKC

Also

DS looking good right about now..pffft...lol. Not 100mil which he didnt get but can we trade for him and McGee now?

They cant guard a 3 to save their life and at least drive them off the line and funnel them into their centers...smh.

It is our bigs switching on their smalls( especially AD) and force then to drive to our smalls inside, that can’t be good for any team

Mad - what would you run as the main defense?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Feeling salty as hell
after watching that lack of effort, how poorly this team plays defense, and how it's matched with a low energy offense focused on standing still without the ball, and isolation plays leading to contested mid range jumpers. Against a very weak team. Great entertainment. At least for OKC fans looking for something, anything to feel good about.

PS5 time.

Salty intake high here.

So angry at this team right now.
misterchipmunk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject:

We went from being the "best defensive team" last year to one of the worst defensive teams.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject:

misterchipmunk wrote:
We went from being the "best defensive team" last year to one of the worst defensive teams.

Funny enough, Active pointed out something statistically but I was observing with this team...sorta like how the Nets were first half of the year, all offense, zero D.

Prob is our offense is nowhere as good as the Nets.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject:

I suppose if Clips lose I can take some small solace in that
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Buddy rubbing salt in the wound by going 7-11 from three against Phoenix right now.

Last edited by BILBJH on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Buddy rubbing salt in the would by going 7-11 from three against Phoenix right now.

Damn you Bilb, you made me look and that extra salt did NOT help

Im just going to say it. In the back of my mind there is a chance I will always wonder how Hield and keeping KCP (and likely also retaining AC) woulda looked.

But gotta keep looking forward...or at least convincing myself of that
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Buddy rubbing salt in the would by going 7-11 from three against Phoenix right now.

Im just going to say it. In the back of my mind there is a chance I will always wonder how Hield and keeping KCP (and likely also retaining AC) woulda looked.

I am looking forward... problem is all I see is the figurative precipice of the Grand Canyon right now
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

misterchipmunk wrote:

We were also a very good rebounding team and now were once of the NBA's worst. The Lakers in general are very slow defensively and thus can't keep up with the quick offensive plays of younger teams. If you watch carefully they are always chasing and thus late in contesting shots or getting in front of their man. Is it age, lack of effort, or just players that are poor defenders? Probably a combination of the three. Our middle is like a corridor, all you have to do is spread the floor with shooters and the interior defense falls apart. I don't really see this team getting much better to be honest. Ariza is old not quite what he used to be, and THT is just ok defensively. The only thing they can do is slow the tempo, that's it.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
Outrebounded by OKC

Also

Mad - what would you run as the main defense?

Our best defense lineup so far involves dwight/AD on the court. They can erase a lot of mistake. Worst one so far is ad at 5, melo at 4. Teams were doing layup drills. Our guards are just not good defenders. Until we get to see how other guards do, I’d stay away from the small lineups without lebron
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Our defense is really bad y’all. Pelinka might have really screwed up dumping our defensive talent this off-season. We are giving up huge numbers to everybody and the biggest warning sign is how EVERY GAME WE PLAY is super tight and we can’t maintain any separation.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject:

these happens to old teams... they are soooo good in the 1st half, then slowly run out of gas to the finish line.

young guys out running, out hustling them... their mind is willing but the bodies were not.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Really frustrating. That squad would be legit.

I actually think we win the title last year if AD didn’t go down, we didnt need major changes.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject:

If it helps with our LG community anger towards our Lakers...

The Nets, Bucks, Suns, and the Clippers all lost today 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Nets to Heat not really an upset 😎

Suns lost to Kings 💀💀💀

Bucks lost to the Twolves 😂😂😂

Clippers got Beatdown by the Cavs 🤣🤣🤣
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:

Suns lost to Kings 💀💀💀

No, it really doesn’t help.

Lakers embarrassed themselves tonight. So far, this years experiment does not look all that great. No sustained defense effort and an inefficient offense does not bode well.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:

Suns lost to Kings 💀💀💀

Lakers embarrassed themselves tonight. So far, this years experiment does not look all that great. No sustained defense effort and an inefficient offense does not bode well.

I agree it doesn’t look great at all atm.
I still would like to give this team at least 20 games to make an official assessment of our chances going forward.

Tbh all across the NBA there’s really no team you look at and say their gonna be lifting the Larry O’brien Trophy guaranteed come June.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Next four all at home:

CAVS this Friday
ROCKETS
ROCKETS
THUNDER

@Blazers

No back to backs.
Make or break time!!! 💪🏀💪🏀
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

Suns lost to Kings 💀💀💀

I still would like to give this team at least 20 games to make an official assessment of our chances going forward.

Tbh all across the NBA there’s really no team you look at and say their gonna be lifting the Larry O’brien Trophy guaranteed come June.

I’m not calling it a season after 5 games. Just frustrated with such a crappy collapse. I’m in it for the long haul. I’ll see every game as I have for years now. If this is the norm I may not survive. Lol

I expected them to struggle with this roster. Too many career average defenders or finesse types. Not enough “effort” or junkyard dogs types to balance it out.
Honestly, too many knucklehead types for my taste. But others seem to disagree.

They have to find a way to play sustained effort defense, not just every once in a while when they want to. They can play very good defense for short spans. Just not an entire game. Giving up 115 a night is not going to work.
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

Suns lost to Kings 💀💀💀

I’m not calling it a season after 5 games. Just frustrated with such a crappy collapse. I’m in it for the long haul. I’ll see every game as I have for years now. If this is the norm I may not survive. Lol

I expected them to struggle with this roster. Too many career average defenders or finesse types. Not enough “effort” or junkyard dogs types to balance it out.

They have to find a way to play sustained effort defense, not just every once in a while when they want to. They can play very good defense for short spans. Just not an entire game. Giving up 115 a night is not going to work.

Agree. We need to have a larger sample size to assess if our defense can get any better. Plus, we still don't have THT and Ariza yet. I am optimistic our defense will get better, although not going to be as great as previous years, bottom line not going to be abysmal.

Having said that, I have not seen anything new from our offense for 3 years. Vogel has no clue how to run offensive sets and utilize our players. This the one thing I am pretty sure not going to get any better through the season.

I have been saying this since last year, Vogel has to figure that out, or else, the FO should seriously consider letting him go.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

statyin wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:

Suns lost to Kings 💀💀💀

Agree. We need to have a larger sample size to assess if our defense can get any better. Plus, we still don't have THT and Ariza yet. I am optimistic our defense will get better, although not going to be as great as previous years, bottom line not going to be abysmal.

Having said that, I have not seen anything new from our offense for 3 years. Vogel has no clue how to run offensive sets and utilize our players. This the one thing I am pretty sure not going to get any better through the season.

I have been saying this since last year, Vogel has to figure that out, or else, the FO should seriously consider letting him go.

It’s called the “ Lebron James “ offense. Been around for awhile.

Actually have to pay extra for it. Not going to change.

Expecting Vogel to run sets and utilize the players differently is not realistic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25
Jump to: