The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

About to see what the boys are made of. Could be 4-1 or 3-2 after this game.
I'm taking off work early for this one.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Go give Ridley Scott some love this weekend and catch the entertaining Last Duel in a theater.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Film thread folks: does Robert Pattinson give off a Jack Nicholson vibe to anyone else?

Very noticeable vibe. It turns out that Jack Nicholson's Randle in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest influenced him quite a bit when he was growing up.

He'll be in the upcoming ___ reboot of The Batman (sorry lost count of how many times it has been rebooted):

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Solidarity with all the IATSE folks on LG.com
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
Film thread folks: does Robert Pattinson give off a Jack Nicholson vibe to anyone else?

Very noticeable vibe. It turns out that Jack Nicholson's Randle in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest influenced him quite a bit when he was growing up.

He'll be in the upcoming ___ reboot of The Batman (sorry lost count of how many times it has been rebooted):

Nicholson's McMurphy influence on RP makes a ton of sense now that you bring it up - great pull, thank you.

I've mostly sworn off superhero movies, but I've become a bit of a Pattinson fanboy over the past five years, Matt Reeves' work on the Apes pictures was competent to good, and the use of real sets and lighting in the first new Batman trailer you linked has me reasonably interested in cape crap again.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

If you can catch Todd Haynes' Velvet Underground doc in a theater, absolutely go for it. The opening notes of Venus in Furs over the title card rattled my teeth and the unique imagistic, sonic collage of avant garde art, rare performance footage, voice overs and distorted guitars Haynes has assembled overwhelmed me on a big screen. A true celebration of the band's music but also of the mid-60s NY artistic environment in which they formed, Haynes' film is the kind of art that makes you want to go out and create art.

A+ hippie bashing, everyone acknowledging Lou Reed was a brilliant prick, and Jonathan Richman being the generous, beautiful genius he is gushing about his favorite childhood band are highlights.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Any Dune watchers on LG.com?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

I never watched original or read the books

It was beautiful, A bit long but I liked it. I was in a vegetative state when I watched it so It was good for that mood. It said it was part 1 so I will definitely follow it. I don't want to give anything away. Was weird to see mamoa without a beard.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

It was beautiful, A bit long but I liked it. I was in a vegetative state when I watched it so It was good for that mood. It said it was part 1 so I will definitely follow it. I don't want to give anything away. Was weird to see mamoa without a beard.

lol huge spoilers I keed, I keed.

I want to see it on a big screen first so holding off to catch it with some friends who are diehards later this week. I'm not enamored with Lynch's 1984 movie (it's become a cult classic for some folks) and I've never read the books, but excited to see what Denis V. can come up with.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I want to see it on a big screen first so holding off to catch it with some friends who are diehards later this week. I'm not enamored with Lynch's 1984 movie (it's become a cult classic for some folks) and I've never read the books, but excited to see what Denis V. can come up with.

It was beautiful on a tv I’m sure theatre will be spectacular. I just can’t do 2.5 away from my couch.
Ogrounder
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Baron Von Humongou wrote:

it was beautiful, A bit long but I liked it. I was in a vegetative state when I watched it so It was good for that mood. It said it was part 1 so I will definitely follow it. I don't want to give anything away. Was weird to see mamoa without a beard.

The other day I stumbled upon the Phone Booth, a great film with Colin Farrell. No CGI or risky stunts but yet the film is engrossing. Highly recommend!

Last edited by Ogrounder on Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Ogrounder wrote:
The other day I stumbled upon the Phone Booth, a great film with Colin Farrell. No CGI or risky stunts but yet the film is engrossing. Highly recommend!

Easily Schumacher's best and scripted by the god, Larry Cohen, to boot. Really fun no frills thriller I wish they made more of.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Ogrounder wrote:

Easily Schumacher's best and scripted by the god, Larry Cohen, to boot. Really fun no frills thriller I wish they made more of.

There are few working actors with better voices than Kiefer Sutherland. He’s like the American Jeremy irons.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Ogrounder wrote:

There are few working actors with better voices than Kiefer Sutherland. He’s like the American Jeremy irons.

He's pretty good, but well behind Sam Elliott and Jeff Bridges, just for starters.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Ogrounder wrote:

He's pretty good, but well behind Sam Elliott and Jeff Bridges, just for starters.
and James earl Jones and Morgan freeman. But he’s up there right below the very top guys.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Of course, Jeff Bridges has been affecting that weird voice for a minute now.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

Looks like all of Stuart Gordon's horror/horror adjacent movies are streaming for free (with ads) on Tubi if you're looking for either grotesque comedy horror based on Lovecraft or nihilistic social horror flicks before November 1st.

Also, the fine folks at Kino-Lorber have set up a new free (with ads) streaming app called KinoCult with a lot of kinky horror gems from weirdos like Jess Franco, Jean Rollin, and Robbe-Grillet in with the rest of their interesting, curated (so smaller), rotating library of oddball genre fare.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Ogrounder wrote:

This is making me want to rewatch Phone Booth. And the first half of Freeway.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Y'all know me. I'm the resident KBCB. Why was James Earl Jones's voice used for Darth Vader and a Whiteface revealed when Vader died? Could have at least made a face that looked something like JEJ. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Y'all know me I'm the resident KBCB. Why was James Earl Jones's voice used for Darth Vader and a Whiteface revealed when Vader died? Could have at least made a face that looked something like JEJ. LINK

Obviously, this was way before PC society but when casting commercials the mandate is Culturally ambiguous is as close to white as you are allowed to get otherwise talent has to be clearly diverse UNLESS talent is the brunt of jokes, of service or in layman's terms something bad is happening to them. No way could they have had JEJ compromised like that.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Y'all know me I'm the resident KBCB. Why was James Earl Jones's voice used for Darth Vader and a Whiteface revealed when Vader died? Could have at least made a face that looked something like JEJ. LINK

Luke: "Father, is there something you want to tell me?"

Darth (heavy breathing behind mask): "Search your feelings Luke. You were adopted"

Luke: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Luke: "Father, is there something you want to tell me?"

Darth (heavy breathing behind mask): "Search your feelings Luke. You were adopted"

Luke: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

AP you got my stomach cramping.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Halflife wrote:

It was beautiful on a tv I’m sure theatre will be spectacular. I just can’t do 2.5 away from my couch.

Read the books and saw the original. This version is incredible. I've read soooo many fantasy and sci fi novels throughtout the years that it'd make someone's head spin but there were only two sets of books I reread. Lord of the Rings/Hobbit and the Dune series. Watching this film gave me the same feeling I had when I saw Lord of the Rings.

"Damn, they really did it". That's the feeling I left with. I might have to re-read it all over again soon as I'm done with the latest Sanderson book.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Me: All these lazy prequels and excessive "world building" spinoff nonsense is Hollywood excreting IP slop into the content trough because they have zero respect for their audience.
Quote:
Deadline Hollywood
@DEADLINE
Ana De Armas In Talks To Lead ‘John Wick’ Spinoff ‘Ballerina’; Movie Spearheads Bumper AFM Slate For Lionsgate

Me: ....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Is Zendaya in Dunes 2021?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 135 of 189
Jump to: