Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 387, 388, 389 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure I even want Kershaw back...I don't think he has anything left in the tank, and I think he will remain mostly injured for whichever team signs him.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I'm not sure I even want Kershaw back...I don't think he has anything left in the tank, and I think he will remain mostly injured for whichever team signs him.

I hope they keep him. He'd be the best third/fourth starter for any team in the league. Plus he's a guy I don't want to ever see wearing anything but Dodger Blue before he retires.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I hope they keep him. He'd be the best third/fourth starter for any team in the league. Plus he's a guy I don't want to ever see wearing anything but Dodger Blue before he retires.

The thing with Kersh is that you want to keep him on the team, but is he willing to accept a contract for lesser money? I sure hope Friedman/ownership won't give him a contract based on past accomplishments. This most recent contract was that one.

Does Kersh choose to stay with the Dodgers even if another team offers him more? We'll see.

Although there is no salary cap, I don't want this to be an issue of losing any other key players because we spent to keep an aging Kershaw. We lost some key contributors after last season (Kike and Joc, for example) and the depth we have left will be further impacted if we overpay our 3rd/4th starter for stuff he did 5-10 years ago.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Shalashaska wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
It's sad the Dodger season came to an end. it sucks we won 108 games and could never get home field advantage. It hurts too because the Lakers have sucked ass the first two games of their season.

But you know, the Dodgers won last year, first title in 32 years. We have been very competitive the past several years, and injuries and tired arms did us in this year.

Next season what do we do with the free agents?

If Kershaw or Bellinger what top dollar, I say let them walk, Bellinger more so than Kershaw. Will Bauer be back - wish we could get out of paying him if he remains suspended. Scherzer would be nice to have back, I hope he stays. Seager I'm iffy on, especially for top dollar. Let T. Turner play shortstop, Lux at second base, Taylor maybe replacing Belli in centerfield.

Congrats to the Braves; at least we beat the San Franny Giants - that's the equivalent of the Lakers beating the Smeltics.

It is a travesty that we didn't have home field in this series despite winning 18 more games than the opponent. Makes zero sense, especially considering that we would have had it in the next series. MLB needs to change its antiquated, illogical rules and get with the times. Re-seed everyone for the playoffs by record.

Isn’t it totally the opposite of that though? The NBA has 6 divisions just like MLB. The NFL has 8 divisions. Both have awarded weak division winners way too much; in the past that happened less often because they had fewer divisions.

One reason MLB went to 6 divisions was to get with the times.

It’s one reason I hate having so many divisions. It leads to more bs like this. The NFL has had 7-9 and 8-8 teams host a playoff game against a 12-4 team. It’s stupid.

But players and owners probably like having all those divisions too much.

I say keep things as they are just let the team with the best record in the league pick who they play in the first round. Not only did the Dodgers get screwed so did the Giants. What was their reward for winning 107 games? Playing a 106 win team that they played 19 times in the regular season. It would also add a layer of saltiness.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Shalashaska wrote:
strong9 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
Well guys it was a great run. Multiple division wins, playoff wins, penants, and a World Series win.

I believe our run comes to an end with the current squad. Unless we change things up I don't see us being in this situation next year.

Also big congrats to Braves. Destroy the Astros!!!!!

We need a new batting coach, that's for sure. Whatever advice they gave this year sucked.

Just catching up here. I think it is beyond the batting coach. The Dodgers and Giants have similar strategies. Home runs. Shouldn’t be lost on anyone that they come from the same executive and management tree. We need to be more about contact and hitting the opposite way. We seem obsessed with launch angle. Home runs left this team and they couldn’t score. Home runs came to this team and they’d blow people out.

Been the same story for several years (with the exception of last) - minimal situational hitting, over-reliance on the long-ball. This postseason tells it all - we clobber teams but have extreme difficulty winning tight games (with the exception of the gem in G5 in SF). That three strikeouts in a row sequence in the Seventh inning summed it up nicely.

Even with all the starting pitching injuries, if our offense could have generated a few key hits in the first two games (or last night), we would be advancing. Of course it doesn't help that Muncy - our most prolific power player and RBI generator - was lost on a fluke injury in the last game of the year.

Hopefully this year will open some eyes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Regarding Kershaw, ending the season with the type of injury he had, it's a major injury red flag. I don't see how a team commits $20MM of guaranteed money to him for one year. Therefore, I think it's logical that the Dodgers offer him a 1-year deal with a base guarantee of $7-10MM or something like that, and then more money available through innings pitched/games started incentives. If he can get that $20MM from another team, you just have to allow him to walk.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Regarding Kershaw, ending the season with the type of injury he had, it's a major injury red flag. I don't see how a team commits $20MM of guaranteed money to him for one year. Therefore, I think it's logical that the Dodgers offer him a 1-year deal with a base guarantee of $7-10MM or something like that, and then more money available through innings pitched/games started incentives. If he can get that $20MM from another team, you just have to allow him to walk.

You look around at who gets 10million and there is no way in hell Kersh takes or even deserves that. Red flag or not..Kirby Yates even got 5mill and never pitched this year. KLuber got 11mill and he’s always hurt and when he’s not he’s not even good anymore. 20mill is the min for Kersh I think regardless of if we want to give him that or not. 10mill would be a massive bargain.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You look around at who gets 10million and there is no way in hell Kersh takes or even deserves that. Red flag or not..Kirby Yates even got 5mill and never pitched this year. KLuber got 11mill and he’s always hurt and when he’s not he’s not even good anymore. 20mill is the min for Kersh I think regardless of if we want to give him that or not. 10mill would be a massive bargain.

Very good point on Kluber. Some team might give Kershaw $20M, but it won't be us. We're just so cash strapped.

SF Giants got Desclafani last year for 1 yr $6M. They got Alex Wood for 1 yr $3M. And they got Gausman at 1 yr $19M.

I think we'd go that route.

I think Kershaw's time with the Dodgers is over. He's just oo injury prone.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Very good point on Kluber. Some team might give Kershaw $20M, but it won't be us. We're just so cash strapped.

SF Giants got Desclafani last year for 1 yr $6M. They got Alex Wood for 1 yr $3M. And they got Gausman at 1 yr $19M.

Cash strapped? You had 135% of the next closest payroll and around double the median. If you’re going to use that cash advantage you can’t be tossing away elite pitching hoping to catch a hot year from some six mil guy. The money has to go to pitching and impact bats.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Cash strapped? You had 135% of the next closest payroll and around double the median. If you’re going to use that cash advantage you can’t be tossing away elite pitching hoping to catch a hot year from some six mil guy. The money has to go to pitching and impact bats.

Not sure why you're using the word "you". It's not my decision.

This is a prediction of what we think management will do. Why are you even in this discussion anyways? Are you even familiar with how this management works? Does it even matter to you since you're obviously not even a fan?

If you feel management is going to spend money that way, cool.

But, for those of us that follow the team closely, we don't.

I'm not really interested in having a discussion/debate with someone that doesn't follow the team closely. Doesn't do anything for me, if you don't mind...

I'm not going to tell you your opinion is wrong. I'm just not interested in carrying on a conversation about what the team will do this offseason with someone who doesn't follow the team closely.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

I’d like Kershaw to stay but if he doesn’t, at least I won’t be nearly as upset as I was when Ryu left. Ryu had injuries too but was younger and had just led the NL in era. Fortunately the team won it all without Ryu anyway.

Kershaw just had the highest era of his career since 2008. 3.55 is still good but that’s alarming and you have to wonder how good he will be after he tries to recover from another injury (because he is always injured and only getting older).

He is 15 wins away from 200.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Not sure why you're using the word "you". It's not my decision.

This is a prediction of what we think management will do. Why are you even in this discussion anyways? Are you even familiar with how this management works? Does it even matter to you since you're obviously not even a fan?

If you feel management is going to spend money that way, cool.

But, for those of us that follow the team closely, we don't.

I'm not really interested in having a discussion/debate with someone that doesn't follow the team closely. Doesn't do anything for me, if you don't mind...

I'm not going to tell you your opinion is wrong. I'm just not interested in carrying on a conversation about what the team will do this offseason with someone who doesn't follow the team closely.

Bingo!

I'm still waiting for Omar to respond to his ridiculous claim and let us know how many players the Dodgers 'bought'

Last edited by oasisdude77 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I’d like Kershaw to stay but if he doesn’t, at least I won’t be nearly as upset as I was when Ryu left. Ryu had injuries too but was younger and had just led the NL in era. Fortunately the team won it all without Ryu anyway.

Kershaw just had the highest era of his career since 2008. 3.55 is still good but that’s alarming and you have to wonder how good he will be after he tries to recover from another injury (because he is always injured and only getting older).

That Ryu decision is starting to look like a good decision. Looks like he fell off a cliff last year.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

That Ryu decision is starting to look like a good decision. Looks like he fell off a cliff last year.

Not sure about Ryu but Kenta certainly broke down.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Folks, it's about what Kershaw's particular injury is going into the offseason. Yes, Kluber has been very injury-prone lately. But Kershaw is basically on the edge of TJ surgery. He's going into the offseason with an elbow/forearm injury and already had a PRP injection. He could show up to spring training and be done, for all we know. I think he's going to get less money than many of us believe, at least in terms of guaranteed money.

Time will tell.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Seager is getting a $300 million dollar contract from somebody so I can't see the Dodgers getting into a bidding war for his services...committing all that money to Betts was a first for this front office that I don't see them repeating. Kershaw would be nice if he came back but I don't see us paying much if he's at the back end of his career. Kenley will get better offers from other teams and I think the front office would rather try to find a younger closer that is cheaper.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Seager is getting a $300 million dollar contract from somebody so I can't see the Dodgers getting into a bidding war for his services...committing all that money to Betts was a first for this front office that I don't see them repeating. Kershaw would be nice if he came back but I don't see us paying much if he's at the back end of his career. Kenley will get better offers from other teams and I think the front office would rather try to find a younger closer that is cheaper.

Seager - I don't think he's getting 300m from anyone including the Dodgers. He's a below average fielder at SS and I don't think his bat carries 3rd. But I hink hi ship has sailed with the Dodgers. They have a glut of middle infielders.

Mookie - unfortunately already seeing signs of decline and mounting injuries. I think he's in line for off season surgery on the hip. And if recovery permits they may switch him to 2nd base and develope Lux as a super utility guy.

Kershaw - An incentive laden deal makes sense. If he doesn't like it he can walk.

Jansen - offer him a 15m per year 2 year deal in team option.

Pay Taylor, Trienen, Knebel, Kelly if he will take a paycut. I think Pollock opts in.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject:

The main thing to me is don't overreact to one playoff series loss. Franchise record in wins, this team was right there despite falling short.

I feel like the depth of the squad is not what it once was, but maybe some of the younger players will rise to the level that has been established by are now aging group .
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Seager - I don't think he's getting 300m from anyone including the Dodgers. He's a below average fielder at SS and I don't think his bat carries 3rd. But I hink hi ship has sailed with the Dodgers. They have a glut of middle infielders.

Mookie - unfortunately already seeing signs of decline and mounting injuries. I think he's in line for off season surgery on the hip. And if recovery permits they may switch him to 2nd base and develope Lux as a super utility guy.

Kershaw - An incentive laden deal makes sense. If he doesn't like it he can walk.

Pay Taylor, Trienen, Knebel, Kelly if he will take a paycut. I think Pollock opts in.

Mookie was still one of the best players in the league this season despite an obvious injury. There's every reason to believe he will return to his Hall Of Fame level if healthy. He just turned 29 and should be in his prime for a few more years. He's a right fielder and I cannot imagine that the Dodgers will turn him into a 2nd baseman.

With you that Seager is almost certainly gone and that Kershaw is a possibility on an incentive-laden deal. I don't even think we make an offer to Jansen. We're going to have to spend heavily on starting pitching, and with Jansen rebounding so well this season, he can probably command at least $13MM annually on the open market, for at least 2 years, if not 3. We have Treinen under contract for 2022 and he's more than capable of handling the 9th inning. We have other arms under contract who can be capable setup relievers, including Kahnle, and it's possible one of Knebel or Kelly could be back, as well as a free agent signee or two.

Taylor coming back needs to be a huge priority. Pollock actually didn't meet the opt out criteria (not enough AB's in the previous years) so he's also under contract for 2022.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject:

1yr/18 I can see Kersh taking and us offering. I know it’s a lot but I can see it.

Seager will get a fairly decent offer from us too ..he will just take the massive deal the Yankees give him.

Don’t forget as to what Rendon got. 250? I think Seager easily gets 300+ from someone. Our perception of Seager is different than other teams. Grass is always greener etc.

Lot of you are saying retaining CT is of high priority..well he barely touched .800 ops this season and that’s after a torrid start. He had a huge playoff run but he’s also had bad ones. Utility guy and all but I don’t know if we will match what he gets on the market. WIth the success of Kike and Joc eyes are open around the league. I think CT gets paid a lot and we won’t match. We are more likely to pay Seager but again this is my opinion.

I think Friedman pegs Seager around 8/250 or 10/275 range. The Yankees I can see them offering 10/350 EASILY. Part of this comes down to what Corey and his wife want as well. Slight pay cut and stay in LA or go to New York. If you think this FO doesn’t even see Seager as a 250-275 player then I think you need to take a step back and see what’s going on around the league.

Just don’t expect Friedman to keep guys out of loyalty or what they have done. The first move he made was trading fan favorite Kemp back in 2014. If he feels Kersh/Seager aren’t worth it he will pass. This FO will never overpay..the only possibility is overpaying Kersh but I think the last extension was the thank you. Now it’s straight business.

Anyways all speculation and useless talk let’s see what happens. If Muncy stays healthy..Kersh stays healthy I think we would have had enough to get by the Braves. Or if Rosario just didn’t get scorching hot.

Last edited by Snipes on Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Mookie was still one of the best players in the league this season despite an obvious injury. There's every reason to believe he will return to his Hall Of Fame level if healthy. He just turned 29 and should be in his prime for a few more years. He's a right fielder and I cannot imagine that the Dodgers will turn him into a 2nd baseman.

With you that Seager is almost certainly gone and that Kershaw is a possibility on an incentive-laden deal. I don't even think we make an offer to Jansen. We're going to have to spend heavily on starting pitching, and with Jansen rebounding so well this season, he can probably command at least $13MM annually on the open market, for at least 2 years, if not 3. We have Treinen under contract for 2022 and he's more than capable of handling the 9th inning. We have other arms under contract who can be capable setup relievers, including Kahnle, and it's possible one of Knebel or Kelly could be back, as well as a free agent signee or two.

Taylor coming back needs to be a huge priority. Pollock actually didn't meet the opt out criteria (not enough AB's in the previous years) so he's also under contract for 2022.

re: Mookie. Agreed. He had one nagging hip injury so let's not frame it like he's broken.. When he in his own words "felt" healty, he slowly started to become the Mookie we expected. Dude is 29 FFS. 29!
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
1yr/18 I can see Kersh taking and us offering. I know it’s a lot but I can see it.

Seager will get a fairly decent offer from us too ..he will just take the massive deal the Yankees give him.

Don’t forget as to what Rendon got. 250? I think Seager easily gets 300+ from someone. Our perception of Seager is different than other teams. Grass is always greener etc.

Lot of you are saying retaining CT is of high priority..well he barely touched .800 ops this season and that’s after a torrid start. He had a huge playoff run but he’s also had bad ones. Utility guy and all but I don’t know if we will match what he gets on the market. WIth the success of Kike and Joc eyes are open around the league. I think CT gets paid a lot and we won’t match. We are more likely to pay Seager but again this is my opinion.

I think Friedman pegs Seager around 8/250 or 10/275 range. The Yankees I can see them offering 10/350 EASILY. Part of this comes down to what Corey and his wife want as well. Slight pay cut and stay in LA or go to New York. If you think this FO doesn’t even see Seager as a 250-275 player then I think you need to take a step back and see what’s going on around the league.

Just don’t expect Friedman to keep guys out of loyalty or what they have done. The first move he made was trading fan favorite Kemp back in 2014. If he feels Kersh/Seager aren’t worth it he will pass. This FO will never overpay..the only possibility is overpaying Kersh but I think the last extension was the thank you. Now it’s straight business.

Anyways all speculation and useless talk let’s see what happens. If Muncy stays healthy..Kersh stays healthy I think we would have had enough to get by the Braves. Or if Rosario just didn’t get scorching hot.

That Kemp deal was incredible and really showed the brilliance of the FO and truly highlighted Friedman's superiority over Preller. The getting out from an expensive contract while getting an everyday very useful player in return at a premium position. All this after Kemp was THE best hitter in the National League 2nd half of the season in a down year for hitters no less. I remember being so mad at that trade but in hindsight, Friedman made two brilliant moves using Kemp as a trade chip that directly led to Mookie Betts today
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Snipes wrote:

That Kemp deal was incredible and really showed the brilliance of the FO and truly highlighted Friedman's superiority over Preller. The getting out from an expensive contract while getting an everyday very useful player in return at a premium position. All this after Kemp was THE best hitter in the National League 2nd half of the season in a down year for hitters no less. I remember being so mad at that trade but in hindsight, Friedman made two brilliant moves using Kemp as a trade chip that directly led to Mookie Betts today

Yup and I was devastated when the trade happened. Same way I will be if Seager/Kersh who are my favorite Dodgers leave. But I trust the FO and believe they know what they are doing more than perhaps anyone in all of sports. Props must be given. I still scratch my head at Dave being the manager but I’m sure they have their reasons.

It always sucks to lose your favorite players and I really find 1-2 guys that I’m heavily biased towards but it’s all good. I’ll move on the same way I did when we traded Kemp.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject:

ATL up 5-0 on the cheaters.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

This is supposed to be the weakest pitching the Braves offense has faced so far (not that the Astros pitching is bad, Milwaukee and the Dodgers had excellent pitching). But also the best offense their pitching has faced.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 387, 388, 389 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 388 of 395
Jump to: