THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3187, 3188, 3189 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The Democrats could just fund the hell out of a new candidate next time to go up against him. He's pretty much an independent now. Why open the door to some serious opposition by doing that?

Maybe it's just a blackmail tactic he has no intention of following through on. Which might be why he wanted to make the threat in private and not have it become public. That would make sense.

He doesn’t fear a democrat because his voter base crosses party lines (they vote GOP mostly in every other race), and he’s reasonably popular. He wanted that to leak because he’s looking for leverage while being able to deny that he’s doing it and without having to make the threat directly. He’s a pretty conservative guy, with Union protection being his real reason for being a democrat. He’s also pro choice to the extent that he doesn’t want to overturn Roe, but he also doesn’t want any government funding.

Yep. If it were any other Democrat in that state, they would lose handily to a Republican, any Republican, pick a Republican. He happens to come from a family tradition of politics in the state so he's basically been grandfathered in as a Democrat that West Virginians will still back because he's "not too far to the left." He is well aware of the power he holds, because if the Democrats tried to primary him, they'd lose the seat. Now, with Sinema, a different Democrat could quite possibly win her seat, so she isn't in as strong of a position.

Shortly after we took those Georgia seats after Biden won. Joe Manchin went on Fox News and basically promised Democrats will get nothing done as long as I'm the swing vote.

Since then, for months and months. I've researched and brainstormed. Looking for any leverage we could possible use against him. I've come up with... Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

I know there are smarter, more connected, more informed people than me. And I'm sure they've been going through the same process as I have. But all signs are saying we are up (bleep) s creek without a paddle.

In retrospect, we needed 52 seats coming out of 2020. Not 50. And that's me giving the benefit of the doubt. Who knows, maybe in that case some other Democrat Senator would pull the same crap Manchin and Sinema are now. If they were in the same position (being the swing vote).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject:

Otoh, was watching a news segment where the guest was reminding people that presidents normally get one major spending package in their first year. Biden already has the recovery package from earlier and even if the resolution is 1.75 trillion to go with the 1.1 trillion “bipartisan” infrastructure bill (which btw has a ton of needed stuff in every district), that will give him three major spending packages. My hope is that the progressives win with more things for fewer years (as opposed to longer sunset on fewer items) and can then market the impact in the mid terms.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

Five military veterans advising Sen. Sinema resign, calling her one of the 'principal obstacles to progress'

Quote:
In a letter to Sinema, the veterans expressed frustration with her refusal to change the Senate filibuster to protect voting rights, failure to support prescription drug negotiations, her opposition to parts of the Democrats' sweeping budget reconciliation package that make up President Joe Biden's agenda and criticized her for not voting on the January 6 commission.

"You have become one of the principal obstacles to progress, answering to big donors rather than your own people," the veterans wrote. "We shouldn't have to buy representation from you, and your failure to stand by your people and see their urgent needs is alarming."

"We do not know who has your ear, but it clearly isn't us or your constituents," they added.

The criticism from the five veterans, whose resignations were effective Wednesday, adds to the growing backlash within the Democratic Party and from Arizona activists against Sinema for not backing elements of Biden's Build Back Better plan.

Quote:
Sinema told CNN in a statement that she would "always remain grateful for these individuals' service to our nation," and had valued their input to her work.

"While it is unfortunate that apparent disagreement on separate policy issues has led to this decision," she said. "I thank them for their service and will continue working every day to deliver for Arizona's veterans who have sacrificed so much to keep us safe and secure."

She's bought and paid for and everyone knows it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Otoh, was watching a news segment where the guest was reminding people that presidents normally get one major spending package in their first year. Biden already has the recovery package from earlier and even if the resolution is 1.75 trillion to go with the 1.1 trillion “bipartisan” infrastructure bill (which btw has a ton of needed stuff in every district), that will give him three major spending packages. My hope is that the progressives win with more things for fewer years (as opposed to longer sunset on fewer items) and can then market the impact in the mid terms.

Pramila Jayapal has already hinted at this in several interviews I've seen over the last week.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject:

im sure most saw this but where was the Gaetz cam
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-donor-nelson-peltz-call-joe-manchin-1245419/

Quote:
Billionaire Trump Donor Says He Has Joe Manchin’s Ear: ‘I Call Him Every Week’

“I call him every week and say, ‘Joe, you’re doing great. Stay tough. Stay tough, buddy,'” said billionaire Nelson Peltz

Hmmmm. I wonder if any of Joe’s constituents get this kind of access?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject:

LIVE UPDATES
Trump ally Steve Bannon held in criminal contempt

LINK

Quote:
The House voted 229 to 202, largely along party lines, to find former Trump adviser Steve Bannon in criminal contempt of Congress after he defied a subpoena from the committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

Nine Republicans voted with all 220 Democrats to pass the resolution: House Select Committee Vice Chair Liz Cheney and Reps. Adam Kinzinger, Nancy Mace, Fred Upton, Peter Meijer, John Katko, Brian Fitzpatrick, Anthony Gonzalez and Jaime Herrera Beutler.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

There's, lot's of "investigation" of Gaetz, but not much action. Yet another example of how elected officials like him skate along without consequence. We've become a nation where almost no one in power genuinely cares about lawfulness and decency, and the few who do are too intent on playing the game to actually take action.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Pramila Jayapal has already hinted at this in several interviews I've seen over the last week.

Yeah, that’s why I’m hoping she’s successful. The “moderates” want fewer things funded longer because they know that if something gets in it will be harder to kill it later.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:

There's, lot's of "investigation" of Gaetz, but not much action. Yet another example of how elected officials like him skate along without consequence. We've become a nation where almost no one in power genuinely cares about lawfulness and decency, and the few who do are too intent on playing the game to actually take action.

That is frustrating. Will be interesting to see if two very senior and aggressive prosecutors just being added to the team handling his investigation means anything.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
These hit-and-run/propaganda/right-wing/no link posts are for dumbasses.

That's all people like 24Legend007 have. If they had substance, they wouldn't hit and run with bogus "gotcha!"s.

Nor are hit & runs allowed. They fall under the categorization of trolling.

24Legend007 -- You need to remain to engage on this topic. Failure to do so will be a strike for trolling. Depending on your past history, failure to do so will either result in suspension or a ban. You have until Friday.

Failed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That is frustrating. Will be interesting to see if two very senior and aggressive prosecutors just being added to the team handling his investigation means anything.

I hope. My fear is that they were brought in just to find a kernel of wrong doing vs. the big banana.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I hope. My fear is that they were brought in just to find a kernel of wrong doing vs. the big banana.

Possible, but generally speaking they will bring one senior person like that in to re-evaluate/wind down a case, and/or a lot of junior staff where they aren’t finding leads, but multiple biggies usually means there’s some expectation of a move forward.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject:

I get that facebook is a huge issue, but how it knocked this off the front page is disturbing

___

“Jan. 6 Protest Organizers Say They Participated in ‘Dozens’ of Planning Meetings With Members of Congress and White House Staff”

@DrPaulGosar

@LaurenBoebert

@MoBrooks

@RepCawthorn

@RepAndyBiggsAZ

@LouieGohmertTX1
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I get that facebook is a huge issue, but how it knocked this off the front page is disturbing

___

“Jan. 6 Protest Organizers Say They Participated in ‘Dozens’ of Planning Meetings With Members of Congress and White House Staff”

@DrPaulGosar

@LaurenBoebert

@MoBrooks

@RepCawthorn

@RepAndyBiggsAZ

@LouieGohmertTX1

Oh, that story isnt going anywhere. Rolling Stone’s political section has some issues with going full intercept/guardian so others are going to vet this and find their own scoop before this gets pushed out front, but if these people are in the level and talking to investigators, this will be a huge story.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

One of the issues with the activists on the left and right is their affinity for the explosive headline and then “why isn’t someone doing something about this” riffs well before there’s any process to get the evidence and deal with the issue. You’ve seen that with the Matt Gaetz sex crime allegations (aside from an accusation, do we really know what evidence there is of exactly what crime?) and the contempt of Congress by Bannon, where people are bemoaning nothing being done the very day he’s actually in contempt. There is truth to the fact that the system is in danger and is ill prepared for the type of attack on it we are seeing, and truth to the idea that in many cases enough won’t or can’t be done within the rules, but it is also true that people hear an allegation and want a hanging the day they heard it. Guys like Swalwell are not going to let it silently stand if there’s real evidence that members of Congress plotted with the terrorists to commit the terrorist act. If they have that evidence at the very least you’re going to hear it very loudly.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
One of the issues with the activists on the left and right is their affinity for the explosive headline and then “why isn’t someone doing something about this” riffs well before there’s any process to get the evidence and deal with the issue. You’ve seen that with the Matt Gaetz sex crime allegations (aside from an accusation, do we really know what evidence there is of exactly what crime?) and the contempt of Congress by Bannon, where people are bemoaning nothing being done the very day he’s actually in contempt. There is truth to the fact that the system is in danger and is ill prepared for the type of attack on it we are seeing, and truth to the idea that in many cases enough won’t or can’t be done within the rules, but it is also true that people hear an allegation and want a hanging the day they heard it. Guys like Swalwell are not going to let it silently stand if there’s real evidence that members of Congress plotted with the terrorists to commit the terrorist act. If they have that evidence at the very least you’re going to hear it very loudly.

He's in custody now, right?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

if they do arrest him it needs to be with zero media. This dude can play the martyr card Im sure with the best of them.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

if they do arrest him it needs to be with zero media. This dude can play the martyr card Im sure with the best of them.

So . . . arrest him clandestinely and hold him in secret? Yeah, not going to happen, nor should it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

So . . . arrest him clandestinely and hold him in secret? Yeah, not going to happen, nor should it.

no. Just don't do the Roger stone deal where someone from CNN was tipped off and was standing outside with cameras. They can divert attention.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You do realize that’s not how that works, right? And that’s the point. The righteous desire for immediate karma just isn’t going to be satisfied in any place you’d actually want to live.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

But on a more fun note, this is a perfect takedown of antivaxx mandate protesters:

Love it or leave it
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
But on a more fun note, this is a perfect takedown of antivaxx mandate protesters:

Love it or leave it

so funny. The "I agree" button got me.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Love it or leave it

She's good. I've see some of her other tik toks.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You do realize that’s not how that works, right? And that’s the point. The righteous desire for immediate karma just isn’t going to be satisfied in any place you’d actually want to live.

It's not a question of wanting "immediate karma"

You know me well enough know that I understand and believe in rule of law and understand how are justice system, so please save me the "in any place you'd want to live" sanctimony.

I do know how the system works . . . which means it always ends up with powerfully connected people being given an overindulgence of "due process" and leniency when it comes to accountability ethically and legally.

You also know full well what I am talking about and the difference between that and "instant karma".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3187, 3188, 3189 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 3188 of 3671
Jump to: