21-22 Season Adjustments to a chip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: 21-22 Season Adjustments to a chip

Game 1 vs GS

I love LG, but its filled with pessimistic chat. I hope to read discussion as to how we can improve as a team, positive things in the game, adjustment and mistake we could have made to get a better result.

- Love the aggressive aspect of both LBJ and AD yesterday.
- Defensively, they are out of sink I see so many back pick getting the shooter wide open shots, seems correctable.
- Russ just looks lost and not playing free and thinking too muck IMO
- Love what AB and Baze gave us on Def.
- We need to clean up the boards, when GS outrebounded us in the game and allowed 9 Off Reb and Bjelica becomes a double double player, its not a good recipe for a win. I thought Bjelica and Poole was the key to that win yesterday.
- GS deserved that win, they move the ball beautifully.

-On to the next game, I think in a 7 game series us being physicality will win over a 3 pts shooting team. Just my 2 cents.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

Even after only one game, here is the adjustment that makes the most sense: send Westbrook to the bench!!!! Take a look at this fun fact about his play in Game 1 of the season:
Quote:
Russell Westbrook’s career usage rate was 32.7%.

His usage rate last night was 19.3%.

It was also his third ever triple-single (less than 10/10/10) when playing 35+ minutes of his career.

If he's on our team, we want WB to be himself to maximize his skill set. However, he can't be himself if he shares the floor with Lebron and AD. Why? Because WB needs the ball in his hands, and with the two other megastars also needing the ball, WB is relegated to a perimeter jump shooter in the half court most of the times. That's not his game!

By sending him to the bench to run the 2nd unit, we get the most effective version of his abilities against the opponent's 2nd unit since he doesn't need to share the ball with players better than him nearly as much. It's like the Ginobli role for the Spurs, so there is no shame in sacrificing like this in order to win a ring.

The bonus benefit of this approach is that we can replace WB with an extra defender or a more pure shooter, depending on the needs of the starting unit. All of this makes even more sense once Ellington and Ariza return, which gives us added flexibility.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

The first adjustment they need to make is to play more games together. Don’t go crazy and start a different lineup every game. One game doesn’t tell us much.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

I am happy that Russ being here will allow Lebron to focus on scoring. Not worried at all about the 2 stars. That was evident last night. Russ will handle most of the taxing PG duties.

Need more from the others, particularly 3 and D. If you don’t take care of the defensive end, then you shouldn’t get PT with the big 3.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Even after only one game, here is the adjustment that makes the most sense: send Westbrook to the bench!!!! Take a look at this fun fact about his play in Game 1 of the season:
Quote:

It was also his third ever triple-single (less than 10/10/10) when playing 35+ minutes of his career.

If he's on our team, we want WB to be himself to maximize his skill set. However, he can't be himself if he shares the floor with Lebron and AD. Why? Because WB needs the ball in his hands, and with the two other megastars also needing the ball, WB is relegated to a perimeter jump shooter in the half court most of the times. That's not his game!

By sending him to the bench to run the 2nd unit, we get the most effective version of his abilities against the opponent's 2nd unit since he doesn't need to share the ball with players better than him nearly as much. It's like the Ginobli role for the Spurs, so there is no shame in sacrificing like this in order to win a ring.

The bonus benefit of this approach is that we can replace WB with an extra defender or a more pure shooter, depending on the needs of the starting unit. All of this makes even more sense once Ellington and Ariza return, which gives us added flexibility.

Though that idea of RW to the bench seems like a good solution, I would give RW at least 10+ games to see if he can find his way both def and off. It looks like he was pressing yesterday, non of his shot was in the flow looks all forced. Ref didn't give help him out either, he lost at least a couple of basket IMO.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject:

the only adjustment that needs to be made is for Russ to quit basketball.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

4 rotation guys are still out and hurt our bench… Rondo/Westbrook combo does not work. We brought Westbrook here to be a work horse. Let him be a work horse and run the 2nd unit instead of Rondo. Westbrook is useless off the ball. But I guess we were shorthanded last night. Never understood the Rondo signing after we already got Westbrook/Nunn.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

We'll get a better sense of what does and does not work after the 1st 10 games. We're missing so many guys in the backcourt - especially at the SG position - that we can't tell Russell's best fit yet.

GIVE HIM TIME.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

2 Biggest adjustment.

Get a time machine, turn back the clock on for Lebron, Melo, Dwight, DJ Rondo.

Get a time machine and trade for Buddy, resign AC.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

If Russ could pocket his pride and come off the bench we would have 2 winning units. Make it a competition, 1st unit vs 2nd unit.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
We'll get a better sense of what does and does not work after the 1st 10 games. We're missing so many guys in the backcourt - especially at the SG position - that we can't tell Russell's best fit yet.

GIVE HIM TIME.

It might take more than 10 games. The Heat didn't start figuring it out with Spoelstra until after they started 9-8 losing 4 out of 5 at one point.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
4 rotation guys are still out and hurt our bench… Rondo/Westbrook combo does not work. We brought Westbrook here to be a work horse. Let him be a work horse and run the 2nd unit instead of Rondo. Westbrook is useless off the ball. But I guess we were shorthanded last night. Never understood the Rondo signing after we already got Westbrook/Nunn.

Agree Rondo shouldn't play much when we have Russ. Let Russ have the ball. That's his strength. Vogel is still experimenting.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
joeblow wrote:
Quote:

Though that idea of RW to the bench seems like a good solution, I would give RW at least 10+ games to see if he can find his way both def and off. It looks like he was pressing yesterday, non of his shot was in the flow looks all forced. Ref didn't give help him out either, he lost at least a couple of basket IMO.

Fair enough. But honestly it should've been a focus before pre-season if the coaching staff had ever considered it. The move makes sense if only because there is only one ball and three players that need to have it in their hands in half court sets. RW is the odd man out in this scenario and can dominate if he'd accept this role.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Russ will be a good fit with this bron and ad.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject:

https://hoopshype.com/2021/10/20/los-angeles-lakers-russell-westbrook-lebron-james-anthony-davis-catch-shoot-drive/

Might be in another thread, but it sounds like not only does RW have the green light to shoot open looks, but they've been doing the same with AD. I don't know if that's Frank's way of conserving energy and simplifying the offense with all 3 in between staggering minutes or what. I'd rather see them willing to pass up the open 3 if it's early in the shot clock, knowing their BBIQ can get another good shot in the next 16-18 seconds.

If anything, I'd like to see them give one of RW or LBJ a quicker rest to get to staggering quicker. Starters building a rhythm together sounds good on paper, but if they're doing this green light offense what are you building?

Pull LBJ after 5 minutes with RW playing more PnR with Howard, Melo and Nunn or THT when healthy. Then bring LBJ back in with the 3&D guys. AD get the quick pull situationally to come back in with LBJ against some teams. Against others you lean heavy on RW & AD to get open shots for others.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Get Nunn back ASAP so Russ can run the show with the bench unit.

Eliminate the Rondo, Monk, Melo defensive sieve lineups. Unfortunately that’s unavoidable given our current injuries. More Bradley/Nunn in the short term would help there. Ariza’s injury will cripple us defensively for a while, sad to say, since we have no alternatives to Melo off the bench. Vogel’s got his work cut out for him there.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject:

Game 2 vs Sun (adjustment and outlook)

-Actually encouraged by the way RW played yesterday, I saw a glimpse of how the big 3 will work.
-The ref was bad yesterday very much inconsistent, which is very discouraging to see how the team is progressing.
-Monk and Reeves looks like a player that will develop as the season goes along which is encouraging.
-AD played bad in my eyes, I feel he will get better, he settled to much.
-I like that the coach is staggering LBJ and RW much more.
-Fight between AD n Dwight is actually encouraging to me, it shows they care and holding each other accountable just a difference in opinion during the game.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject:

I know we still have a punchers chance with AD and Lebron on the team and I am trying to be positive moving forward. If you are the coach of this team how will go about making this team competitive.

From now on I would try and bring value to our young assets.

Lebron, AD, Reeves, Monk and Stanley starts for me
Russ, Melo, THT, Nunn, Ariza, Dwight, Ellington, AB

Will try and replace DJ first then Baze in buyout market that can help out better, else look at our G league players to call up (we need energy our bench has no life - we need energy)

If Russ pout on his new role, send him home like Wall and Simmons. My hope is that the youth in the starting likeup develop faster with more playing time enough for us to have a punchers chance in the playoff. Nunn coming back strong will be a plus.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
I know we still have a punchers chance with AD and Lebron on the team and I am trying to be positive moving forward. If you are the coach of this team how will go about making this team competitive.

From now on I would try and bring value to our young assets.

Lebron, AD, Reeves, Monk and Stanley starts for me
Russ, Melo, THT, Nunn, Ariza, Dwight, Ellington, AB

Will try and replace DJ first then Baze in buyout market that can help out better, else look at our G league players to call up (we need energy our bench has no life - we need energy)

If Russ pout on his new role, send him home like Wall and Simmons. My hope is that the youth in the starting likeup develop faster with more playing time enough for us to have a punchers chance in the playoff. Nunn coming back strong will be a plus.

I actually think our coach is the problem.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject:

bron has to play 100%, not get tired and be moderately respectable on the defensive end

AD needs to dominate. Not with just numbers, but with force. Foul teams out. And on nights where he doesn't play freak he has to be considered, not by box score to be the best player on the court that game.

Thats all. Random guys will have good games for us but if these 2 things happen, we are a tough out.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject:

Even if the Lakers took my advice earlier in this thread back in October (bench WB!!!), we're still in no shape to significantly improve as long as we have no defensive depth of size at the forward slots (especially PF).

Getting healthy is the #1 priority followed by digging through the buyout/waiver market through March 1. Either way, win or lose, bench Westbrook. He should not see another millisecond as a starter (or finisher).
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject:

They just lost to Portland without Russell Westbrook. The main problems with the team are rebounding and free throw shooting. Check the boxscore from the Portland loss. The same problems exist with and -- this is important -- without Russell Westbrook.

Now, if Russell Westbrook is the problem that you all make him out to be, "addition by subtraction," then BUYOUT his contract and move on. Don't play stupid games.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
They just lost to Portland without Russell Westbrook. The main problems with the team are rebounding and free throw shooting. Check the boxscore from the Portland loss. The same problems exist with and -- this is important -- without Russell Westbrook.

Now, if Russell Westbrook is the problem that you all make him out to be, "addition by subtraction," then BUYOUT his contract and move on. Don't play stupid games.

Rebounding
FT
defense
youth/speed
paint protection
perimeter defense
lack of size
chemistry
health due to injury prone and old players
clashing egos
coaching
GM

we have waaaay more issues than Westbrook
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject:

While I agree RW is not the only reason for this debacle, most of our issues stem from the pathetic decision to trade our depth for Westbrook.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

For me
1) While ideally like to see Russ off the bench, I can see how that would be messy so fine if he starts, but the coaches really need to do a better job of staggering the Russ min with LBJ and AD...if they are clicking together at the start great keep it going, but don't let it struggle
2) Stop with the rotation experiments....find a group you can build up experience with
3) Bring D12 in when Russ is "running the show" and LBJ and AD on the bench...try to load the unit with shooters like monk, ellington, melo...let D 12 know he is the gate keeper, because it's like a more offensive unit is going to struggle on the D, but hopefully D 12 can clean some of that upy
4)Stop playing LBJ 35 plus minutes a game
5) Force feed AD if he is being passive, we can't have that, we need AD to dominate
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: