Don't try to beat an Amtrak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Don't try to beat an Amtrak

Looks like this carrier stalled on the tracks. Instead of jumping up and down to warn the engineer, he should have called 911 to alert Amtrak? Man!! That train was moving.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Good thing it was running engine in the front.

Multi-Million dollar accident.

Glad everyone was ok-ish.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

What does the engine placement affect?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

I think he means the locomotive was at the front, so it took the brunt of the collision instead of a passenger car. Sometimes those shorter trains run with the locomotive pushing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Deleted by jodeke. A reread lets me know I had it wrong.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

I think he means the locomotive was at the front, so it took the brunt of the collision instead of a passenger car. Sometimes those shorter trains run with the locomotive pushing.

Got it. I never even knew there were trains with the engine sitting in the back. The amount of power all that mass puts out is really eye opening. Like a hot knife through butter.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Got it. I never even knew there were trains with the engine sitting in the back. The amount of power all that mass puts out is really eye opening. Like a hot knife through butter.

I don't know much about how it all works, but yes, sometimes there is a car in front that carries passengers and an engineer as the eyes. But it's not the main power locomotive. I've always assumed it is a logistical thing so they don't have to spend a lot of time switching cars around at the end of each run.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

I don't know much about how it all works, but yes, sometimes there is a car in front that carries passengers and an engineer as the eyes. But it's not the main power locomotive. I've always assumed it is a logistical thing so they don't have to spend a lot of time switching cars around at the end of each run.

I've been doing some push-pull googling. THIS is what I found. If I have it right the trains have one locomotive and a lead control car. I think the engineer moves from one to the other always in front depending on the direction. Looking at this accident it looks like the locomotive was in front, not the lighter lead car. If the lead car had been the contact point there may have been engineer and passenger injuries, maybe even a derailment.

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

I've been doing some push-pull googling. THIS is what I found. If I have it right the trains have one locomotive and a lead control car. I think the engineer moves from one to the other always in front depending on the direction. Looking at this accident it looks like the locomotive was in front, not the lighter lead car. If the lead car had been the contact point there may have been engineer and passenger injuries, maybe even a derailment.

Correct, they run a "Cab" car which is re-enforced, weighted and has an engineer's station in the front so that they don't have to turn the train around at each end. These are passenger cars so there is often "civilians" in the lead car when in push configuration.

It takes >15 Minutes to attach a locomotive, pass safety checks and fill the break line. Longer if its detach + move + reattach,

It takes a couple of miles of track to u-turn a train plus the land the loop is on..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: