OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7054, 7055, 7056 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Free agency in 2023

Deandre Ayton (25 years old)        $16,422,835
Anthony Davis (30 years old)         $40,600,080
Talen Horton Tucker (23 years old)     $11,020,000

Team salary https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/cap/2023/

What are you saying?

Use our cap space on two max centers and then use MLE to sign a guy who can get them the ball?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Free agency in 2023

What are you saying?

Probably grabbing Ayton with the possible cap space Bron/Russ will vacate.

Btw, a 30% max (25% max w/incentives) is the type of deal Ayton was looking for and if current projections hold without cap smoothing and a higher annual increase, then there will be a 6% increase in this year’s cap to next (ie 119m). Carrying that 6% trend over to the 2023/24 season will project to a salary cap of 126m, making yr1 of a 30%max deal 37.8m (ie 31.5m base salary with max incentives).

In NBA terms, 2023 is a lifetime away. That said, if we do enter 2023 with oodles of cap space, I'm not sure Ayton is the guy I'd want to spend it on.

In addition, if THT is exercising his $11 million option in 2023, it probably means he hasn't turned into anything.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject:

If you look at Bradley as an 8 week stopgap solution that can step in right away, this is a very smart move given our current injury situation.

Bradly is better than an empty 15th man and can get cut or traded before January.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Worth it? Who knows….but we are 1 of 3 teams that are currently valued as a 5B+ franchise.

Quote:
Forbes has once again dubbed the Knicks the NBA’s most valuable team, now at $5.8 billion.

Rest of the top 10:

2. GSW, $5.6B
3. LAL, $5.5B
4. CHI, $3.65B
5. BOS, $3.55B
6. LAC, $3.3B
7. BKN, $3.2B
8. HOU, $2.75B
9. DAL, $2.7B
10. TOR, $2.48B

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/1450160480526422019

When I see valuations like this, I wonder whether there is anyone who would actually pay $5B for an NBA team. Maybe there is, but man would that be a risky investment. Even with our current crop of zillionaires who are launching themselves into space, that would be an awfully expensive toy.

It would more likely be an ownership group. Remember that if the Lakers did ever sell, AEG has right of first refusal. Could also see the Dodgers ownership group making an offer.

AEG has nothing. They lost their rights when they sold their stake.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Free agency in 2023

What are you saying?

Probably grabbing Ayton with the possible cap space Bron/Russ will vacate.

Btw, a 30% max (25% max w/incentives) is the type of deal Ayton was looking for and if current projections hold without cap smoothing and a higher annual increase, then there will be a 6% increase in this year’s cap to next (ie 119m). Carrying that 6% trend over to the 2023/24 season will project to a salary cap of 126m, making yr1 of a 30%max deal 37.8m (ie 31.5m base salary with max incentives).

In NBA terms, 2023 is a lifetime away. That said, if we do enter 2023 with oodles of cap space, I'm not sure Ayton is the guy I'd want to spend it on.

In addition, if THT is exercising his $11 million option in 2023, it probably means he hasn't turned into anything.

Truth.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Worth it? Who knows….but we are 1 of 3 teams that are currently valued as a 5B+ franchise.

Quote:
Forbes has once again dubbed the Knicks the NBA’s most valuable team, now at $5.8 billion.

Rest of the top 10:

2. GSW, $5.6B
3. LAL, $5.5B
4. CHI, $3.65B
5. BOS, $3.55B
6. LAC, $3.3B
7. BKN, $3.2B
8. HOU, $2.75B
9. DAL, $2.7B
10. TOR, $2.48B

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/1450160480526422019

When I see valuations like this, I wonder whether there is anyone who would actually pay $5B for an NBA team. Maybe there is, but man would that be a risky investment. Even with our current crop of zillionaires who are launching themselves into space, that would be an awfully expensive toy.

It would more likely be an ownership group. Remember that if the Lakers did ever sell, AEG has right of first refusal. Could also see the Dodgers ownership group making an offer.

AEG has nothing. They lost their rights when they sold their stake.

I must have totally blacked this out. Perfect, the stake got sold to the exact guy I'd want it to go to!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
That’s the Buss motto for ya, spend $$$ on big names even they’re passed their prime, and penny pinching elsewhere. Our medical staff is still the worst in the league.

30 year old Bradley is past his prime but Ennis at 31 is in his?

Lakers have most roster spots and minutes allocated. Doesn’t hurt to get a good on ball defender. Now, I wish they would cut DJ and sign Ennis. Roll with Huff as the 3rd big.

Huff will have problems hanging in the G League
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Free agency in 2023

Deandre Ayton (25 years old)        $16,422,835 — What’s the max?

What are Lebron’s and Westbrook’s salaries? Ayton will be a RFA, Phoenix will sign him or match.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ben Simmons has been suspended for one game due to conduct detrimental to the team. Simmons will miss the 76ers’ season opener at New Orleans tomorrow night, team says in a statement.

Pissing contest between Klutch and Morey is hilarious
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

Possible Love buyout on the horizon?

Quote:
“First off, Cleveland could also risk possibly losing him to another team in free agency as well,” wrote Evan Dammarell in a blog post. “There aren’t many teams out there who have the salary cap space that makes sense for Sexton other than the Detroit Pistons, the Oklahoma City Thunder and the New Orleans Pelicans that could outbid Cleveland in free agency. Of those aforementioned teams, the Thunder could be a legitimate threat since, according to sources, Oklahoma City is intrigued by the pairing of Sexton alongside budding superstar Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and their bevy of youngsters.”

Okc can literally send back just a few conditional picks & minimum salary (3.6m) and take on Love’s entire contract (via cap space) in a salary dump for Sexton’s 6.4m deal….then extend him from that point on.
Note: by doing this, OKC will operate as a team having cap space & as a result, will have to renounce their two TPEs (Ariza’s 12.8m & Hill’s 9.6m). Also they used roughly 6m of the fMLE on 3 players, so instead the room exception and trivial cap space would be the route those players would be retroactively signed under once they renounce their exceptions to gain back that cap space for Love’s potential salary dump.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject:

if the 76ers really turned down a Pacers package centered around Malcom Brogdan and Caris Levert, Morey needs to be tried for malpractice
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
if the 76ers really turned down a Pacers package centered around Malcom Brogdan and Caris Levert, Morey needs to be tried for malpractice

I guess they consider those dudes “role players”.

Quote:
Woj: Sixers' approach on a trade has remained steadfast: They won't move Simmons for role players -- only a player who'll help keep them a championship contender. That hasn't changed. For now, no one should expect a speedy resolution on Simmons' future in Philadelphia.

Buckle up…this is going to get sloppy.

Speaking of sloppy, Av praises the dubs organization (indirectly sending the Lakers some shade) only to have them waive him and hand out sloppy seconds to a guy they already waived before.

Quote:
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine

After waiving him Saturday, Golden State has re-signed Gary Payton II.

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Ben could be fined for “conduct detrimental to the team” for reporting to camp

Ben reports to camp, team suspends and fines him for it

Malika Andrews wrote:

The 76ers say Ben Simmons has been suspended for one game for “detrimental conduct” to the team.

Simmons will not play the 76ers’ season opener at New Orleans Wednesday night.
Oct 19, 2021ReplyRetweetFavorite

Adrian Wojnarowski wrote:

Sixers coach Doc Rivers threw Ben Simmons out of practice today and the suspension came shortly thereafter, sources tell ESPN.

Simmons’ reluctance to physically and mentally engage with the Sixers since his return has been a consistent theme, sources tell ESPN.

ESPN Sources: The 76ers have fined Ben Simmons $1.4M for his absence from four preseason games (360K each) and levied numerous team fines for missed practices, on-court workouts and meetings. He hasn’t earned any money since returning to the team on October 11.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Is that winning them a title? I understand Morey hoping to package SImmons into a better star, and not the reverse.

Also, I like Brogdan and Levert, but cant think of two guys who struggle more to stay on the court.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

I would bet my house the drill Ben refused to participate in was free throw shooting at the end of practice
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Is that winning them a title? I understand Morey hoping to package SImmons into a better star, and not the reverse.

Also, I like Brogdan and Levert, but cant think of two guys who struggle more to stay on the court.

I think those two alone are definitely an upgrade over Simmons who disappears in the 4th quarter and playoffs. Combine that with getting maybe another piece or pick and that is a no-brainer in my book.
I think Brogdan is one of most underappreciated guys in the NBA. He's not a household name because he isnt doing flashy stuff on the court or dropping 40 in a game but he is just an all-round good basketball player who I'd peg into a Kris Middleton tier.
-above average shooter who notched a 50-40-90 season
- a good passer with solid assist to TO ratio
-averaged over 20ppg last season
-solid defender

And then Levert is a serious bucket getter who would kill it in a 6th man role for a contender.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

I still think this entire situation in Philadelphia, fining and suspending Ben Simmons because he made a trade demand — after the team tried to trade him for James Harden — should not be allowed by the league. It is a copy-cat league. I can see this same song and dance play out the next time a star player demands a trade. Why hasn’t the players union stepped in yet?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

he was not fined and suspended for that. He was fined for refusing to show up to work. Suspended for defying the coach in practice.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
I still think this entire situation in Philadelphia, fining and suspending Ben Simmons because he made a trade demand — after the team tried to trade him for James Harden — should not be allowed by the league. It is a copy-cat league. I can see this same song and dance play out the next time a star player demands a trade.

For the umpteenth time, he was fined for not attending camp and suspended for twice failing to join a defensive drill. It isn’t against any team’s rules to ask for a trade. Players have before but as long as they participated, they weren’t fined or suspended.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

Mr. Ben Simmons needs a reality check. Someone making millions of dollars just to play a game shouldn't be frowning and pouting like an 8 year old.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Mr. Ben Simmons needs a reality check. Someone making millions of dollars just to play a game shouldn't be frowning and pouting like an 8 year old.

That’s why the team should have traded him already. The team is throwing away next season by having this distraction around. The media will ask the same questions after every practice, after every game. He only hurts the team by being around it.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

I guess Simmons/Klutch's plan is to show up and be a distraction. Force the rest of the team to deal with the issue. It will be interesting to see if it works.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
I guess Simmons/Klutch's plan is to show up and be a distraction. Force the rest of the team to deal with the issue. It will be interesting to see if it works.

It’s a good short-term strategy in terms of a) they either send Simmons home, he gets the $ or b) he gets his wish and is traded.

Long-term though this will leave a mark unless he starts performing like a star again.

I don’t know who would trade for him tbh. Even GS is hesitant imo.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:

It is what harden did to get out Houston. It’s what Vince did to get out Toronto. It’s not a bad plan. The thing is the Sixers are talking a lot but they would suck yearly if Ben didn’t carry that team for Joel’s 20 game vacation every year on both ends. When he doesn’t go into another gear like he always does, they will be a fringe play in team.

People act like Ben is all to blame but Ben was the only starter that playoff game who was a positive on the floor. Ben held Young in check. Bend didn’t turn the ball over 8 damn times, Joel did. Ben also didn’t get held scoreless by Marc before. Ben didn’t miss a playoff game for a stomach ache before. Ben didn’t shoot 40% as a 7 footer in the playoffs versus the Raptors, or get lit up by kawhi either, but Joel sure was awful and Jimmy got cooked and ben had to take him. Ben also hasn’t drug Doc or Joel in the press, 1 time in his whole career, as he’s never said one negative word about them to the media out loud, but people go always say sources say his camp says despite Ben when Charles and Shaq was on Joel’s ass coming to defend him in the media.

Is he being truly professional? No. Had he always been professional before they threw him under a bus and kept quiet? Yep. Is Ben a guy who Joel has never won a playoff game without in his career? Yep got his ass swept, but Ben has won playoff and season games without him before which people forget.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
bluehill wrote:

It’s a good short-term strategy in terms of a) they either send Simmons home, he gets the $ or b) he gets his wish and is traded.

Long-term though this will leave a mark unless he starts performing like a star again.

I don’t know who would trade for him tbh. Even GS is hesitant imo.

Yeah, I thought it helped Morey when Simmons was refusing to report. Saved some money and shielded the rest of the team.

The money is probably less of a concern than the effect of the uncertainty and distraction. It's like the few weeks leading up to the trade deadline except it's starting at the beginning of the season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7054, 7055, 7056 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7055 of 8560
Jump to: