PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Red Sox bats are molten hot right now.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Baseball is just too random. Any team can beat any team any night.

That’s the problem with baseball …. you CANT feature your best player(S) on offense or defense enough unlike the NBA and NFL. Additionally, controlling the offense is a crapshoot otherwise every batter would hit the ball in the gaps with a higher percentages

Top 2 offenses in this postseason are Boston and Houston. They were 2nd and 3rd in the regular season.

Giants were 4th in OPS in the regular season at .769

They had a .513 OPS in the playoffs and got eliminated.

We were 6th in the regular season with a .759 ops. So far in the playoffs, we're at: .665.

Whether the playoffs are random or too small a sample size to judge, it is what it is.

The game has been this way for 100+ years. In order to be crowned champions, we have to produce. No way around it.

Whatever the reasons for us not producing, whatever the explanation, whatever the excuse...

If we don't start producing, we won't advance and we won't defend our title.

We play 162 games to get to the playoffs. We all know the playoffs are random and a small sample size, yet we all want to get here. Once here, we have to produce to win. So far, we have not produced offensively.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

It seems like they know what the pitch is going to be.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

That’s the problem with baseball …. you CANT feature your best player(S) on offense or defense enough unlike the NBA and NFL. Additionally, controlling the offense is a crapshoot otherwise every batter would hit the ball in the gaps with a higher percentages

Top 2 offenses in this postseason are Boston and Houston. They were 2nd and 3rd in the regular season.

We were 6th in the regular season with a .759 ops. So far in the playoffs, we're at: .665.

Whether the playoffs are random or too small a sample size to judge, it is what it is.

The game has been this way for 100+ years. In order to be crowned champions, we have to produce. No way around it.

Whatever the reasons for us not producing, whether the explanation, whatever the excuse...

We play 162 games to get to the playoffs. We all know the playoffs are random and a small sample size, yet we all want to get here. Once here, we have to produce to win. So far, we have not produced offensively.

I don't know what happened to Trea. He was scorching hot up until the playoffs. In the Nationals WS run, he was by no means carrying the team but he was getting hits and getting on base. He's got a deer in headlights look about him.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I said it before nobody is beating Boston this year. They are peaking at the right time.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I said it before nobody is beating Boston this year. They are peaking at the right time.

Our pitching can stifle them only if we get there
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

We will see about that: 116 win Mariners were scorching hot the entire year, 1995 Mariners seemed like the team of destiny, 1996 Braves seemed destined to go back to back, 2001 and 2003 Yankees looked like they had the narrative and experience to get it done, 2007 Rockies were unbeatable, 2017 Dodgers were peaking at the right time as well. I think if we beat the Braves under the given circumstances, we will beat the Red Sox as well

But I will give you this: the Red Sox are outplaying the Astros. We are outplaying the Braves for vast stretches of games and blowing it. The Astros are getting outplayed and beat by the Red Sox

Last edited by 1995Lakers on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
32 wrote:

Our pitching can stifle them only if we get there

Nah. Our pitchers are running out of gas.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Whatever the reasons for us not producing, whether the explanation, whatever the excuse...

I don't know what happened to Trea. He was scorching hot up until the playoffs. In the Nationals WS run, he was by no means carrying the team but he was getting hits and getting on base. He's got a deer in headlights look about him.

Guy always was a choker...Nats won in spite of him not because of him. With all that being said, I dont think Scherzer is a particularly impressive playoff pitcher either....at least not on the level of Bumgarner, Hershiser, Valenzuela, Schilling, Smoltz, Carpenter, Koufax, Wells and Urias. These guys you know have the moxie to show up in the biggest games.

Scherzer is more like a Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Mike Mussina, Greg Maddux type. Excellent pitchers that dont have the character/guts to take it up another level in winning time.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

They will probably be the favorite in Vegas after tonight, assuming they win. Astros are down 2 starting pitchers and I'd have to imagine Boston would be favored to win the ALCS now. And we're down 2-0 and I think that Boston, with home-field advantage over Atlanta, would be the favorite. Not that I'd count out the Braves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
32 wrote:

We will see about that: 116 win Mariners were scorching hot the entire year, 1995 Mariners seemed like the team of destiny, 1996 Braves seemed destined to go back to back, 2001 and 2003 Yankees looked like they had the narrative and experience to get it done, 2007 Rockies were unbeatable, 2017 Dodgers were peaking at the right time as well. I think if we beat the Braves under the given circumstances, we will beat the Red Sox as well

But I will give you this: the Red Sox are outplaying the Astros. We are outplaying the Braves for vast stretches of games and blowing it. The Astros are getting outplayed and beat by the Red Sox

Those 116-win Mariners were underdogs in the ALCS to the Yankees, and rightfully so. The Yankees had the vastly superior starting pitching.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:

They will probably be the favorite in Vegas after tonight, assuming they win. Astros are down 2 starting pitchers and I'd have to imagine Boston would be favored to win the ALCS now. And we're down 2-0 and I think that Boston, with home-field advantage over Atlanta, would be the favorite. Not that I'd count out the Braves.

Sounds about right.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I've said this before the divisional chase with the Giants and the NLDS with the Giants wore the Dodgers down. Probably physically and mentally. And don't forget they are trying to repeat which is very hard to do. The Dodgers have the most talent left but they are also missing two of their best players Kershaw and Muncy. I just think it's too much to overcome this year.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Well the Astros starting pitching is (bleep) too.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
32 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Well the Astros starting pitching is (bleep) too.

They mashed in game 2 in Houston as well. I can't do my boy Kike dirty like that.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Wish our so called powerful offense could score like Boston
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject:

All 3 teams in the playoffs are no match for the Dodgers. If you think about it we are barely getting beat while our key hitters are slumping. Just wait til tomorrow our bats will come alive. We are at home now. No way this slump keeps going.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
All 3 teams in the playoffs are no match for the Dodgers. If you think about it we are barely getting beat while our key hitters are slumping. Just wait til tomorrow our bats will come alive. We are at home now. No way this slump keeps going.

This.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

Well if someone can help take the pressure off Low Leverage Trea, then yea he can get going. I think as always Justin Turner is key. If he can get going and relieve pressure for the rest of the Dodger lineup, they will look a lot better. But yea expecting Low Leverage Trea to be the one to inspire the rest of the lineup with key base hits in critical situations is never going to happen. Its not in that guy's makeup

The guy reminds me of Paul Molitor in the regular season and in the postseason probably hits as good as Paul Molitor would right now. Too bad Ignitor was actually an extremely clutch hitter unlike our very own Low Leverage Trea
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Last minute, I'm going to the game tomorrow. My friend had 2 tickets and couldn't sell them, so I get to go for free. It's good to have connections, I suppose. No tennis now.

Let's get back in this. It's a virtual must-win.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Last minute, I'm going to the game tomorrow. My friend had 2 tickets and couldn't sell them, so I get to go for free. It's good to have connections, I suppose. No tennis now.

Let's get back in this. It's a virtual must-win.

Aww hell yeah. Represent!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Where’d our power go?

Boston has hit 20 HRs in 8 playoff games. We’ve hit 7.

We used to mash. Now, we hit alot of almost HRs..
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject:

^Some of it went to Boston because Kike has almost 7 all by himself.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

This is why I was hoping Tampa would advance. I didn't think they could beat us. They are a small-scale version of what we do and their players aren't as good and their starters aren't as good, with some vets gone and with a true ace, Glasnow, having gotten injured. Boston's lineup is scary and even though Sale isn't doing much right now, they do have Eovaldi who has shone under the playoff lights and if Sale happens to get anything back at all, look out. Granted, their starters aren't very deep this year in the rotation and you can get to their bullpen for sure. And the Astros have 2 starters down so maybe that is what will give Boston the win in this series. Still, Boston and Houston had scarier teams to me in a short series, as we entered the division series, more so than Tampa Bay did.

Of course, now we're fighting for our playoff lives just to get to the World Series, when we so easily could've been up 2-0. It's gonna be tough.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject:

Never thought with only 4 teams left we would have the worst offense, but here we are and it’s looking that way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 309 of 395
Jump to: