Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Trea gets us on the board. 4-1.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Unbelievable. The Giants don’t lose to the Rockies.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Giants take a 4-2 lead. Because of course.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject:

We should have gotten into their weak bullpen earlier.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject:

David Price issues a leadoff walk to the #8 hitting lefty whom I've never heard of. Was ahead 0-2 in the count, too. What an absolute sin that is. Just hasn't been a well-played game by us. Even with the dormant bats, this could be a 2-1 game if we fielded properly. Yes, the last run was earned, but who knows what happens if we turn that double play and there's a man on 2nd with 2 outs.

Leadoff walk after an 0-2 count, wild pitches him to 2nd, then after being ahead 0-2 to Calhoun, another lefty, he singles to make it 5-1. So this is a loss. Looking at 2 back with 8 to go. Our odds to win the division will probably drop to 20% or so if that ends up being the case.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject:

The game basically sums up our whole season - Amazing pitching all year, which has carried our woefully underperforming offense, and when the pitching can't be amazing, the offense doesn't pick them up.

If the offense performed at 70% of their capabilities, we would have won the division without breaking a sweat. Hitting average is about league average, which is pretty embarrassing considering all the former and current all-stars/MVP's/etc. in our batting lineup.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Another absolutely disheartening performance.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Another absolutely disheartening performance.

Pathetic performance… rest the starters from this point forward
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Hate to say it but the Giants are winning it all this year. They are just too good.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
Hate to say it but the Giants are winning it all this year. They are just too good.

They have our 2017 clutch DNA with no cheating f'en Astros to stand in their way.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

They have our 2017 clutch DNA with no cheating f'en Astros to stand in their way.

It will be interesting to see if many of their unheralded players can keep this up in the postseason. I'm not surprised that guys like Belt and Posey and Bryant are getting it done, and some of their others hitters are solid too. But can their rotation hold up in the postseason? They've shown cracks. If they are without McGee, can a submarining 83-MPH fastball-throwing closer get it done? I quite like Milwaukee's team because of their top 3 starters and bullpen, although their lineup doesn't have close to the same thunder it did just a couple of years ago. Still, if they get just enough hitting, they could be a tough out.

Obviously the Cardinals are red-hot, and the Braves have been playing pretty well of late and have Fried really on a roll.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

It will be interesting to see if many of their unheralded players can keep this up in the postseason. I'm not surprised that guys like Belt and Posey and Bryant are getting it done, and some of their others hitters are solid too. But can their rotation hold up in the postseason? They've shown cracks. If they are without McGee, can a submarining 83-MPH fastball-throwing closer get it done? I quite like Milwaukee's team because of their top 3 starters and bullpen, although their lineup doesn't have close to the same thunder it did just a couple of years ago. Still, if they get just enough hitting, they could be a tough out.

Obviously the Cardinals are red-hot, and the Braves have been playing pretty well of late and have Fried really on a roll.

Completely agree. Postseason is a whole different animal. I'm just terrified of the 1 game WC game against the Cards. They're due for a regression to the mean right? Buehler? Buehler?
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

Completely agree. Postseason is a whole different animal. I'm just terrified of the 1 game WC game against the Cards. They're due for a regression to the mean right? Buehler? Buehler?

Max
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

You're just playing with fire whenever you're talking about a 1-game scenario. Look at how we've played tonight. It doesn't matter who the team is, even with Scherzer starting, it's just a very dangerous situation to be in.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Funny how Coors fields doesn’t seem to affect the Giants
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

You're just playing with fire whenever you're talking about a 1-game scenario. Look at how we've played tonight. It doesn't matter who the team is, even with Scherzer starting, it's just a very dangerous situation to be in.

Yeah, baseball is probably the absolute worse of the big 4 major sports to have 1 game determine it all. Too much variance.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

Yeah, baseball is probably the absolute worse of the big 4 major sports to have 1 game determine it all. Too much variance.

exactly … unlike the NBA or NFl you can’t feature your better players often enough… too much luck/randomness and not enough skill emphasized
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I’m very confident the Giants will fail in the playoffs. Doesn’t really matter though because if we lose the wild card we are toast. If we get passed the wild card..Tampa is my only worry.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject:

So when do they decide to stop the chase for the division and rest our players for what will obviously be a brutal road to the playoffs?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

exactly … unlike the NBA or NFl you can’t feature your better players often enough… too much luck/randomness and not enough skill emphasized

There is a lot of randomness to the Stanley Cup playoffs in the NHL as well. Seeding means very little in playoff series in hockey, as crazy bounces, deflections, and a hot goaltender can absolutely steal a series. And if it were just one hockey game, yeah, anything can happen. I've seen teams get outshot 45-15 and win because of a freakish goal and then the other goalie stands on his head, as they say.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
So when do they decide to stop the chase for the division and rest our players for what will obviously be a brutal road to the playoffs?

Honestly, it's just too close to do that. I don't think they're going to mail it in for the division until the proverbial fat lady sings.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

There is a lot of randomness to the Stanley Cup playoffs in the NHL as well. Seeding means very little in playoff series in hockey, as crazy bounces, deflections, and a hot goaltender can absolutely steal a series. And if it were just one hockey game, yeah, anything can happen. I've seen teams get outshot 45-15 and win because of a freakish goal and then the other goalie stands on his head, as they say.

In baseball all it takes is an otherwise mediocre pitcher to hit stride for a single game, that's the danger. I don't care if the opposing team is the 1927 NY Yankees, that's all it takes. This Dodgers team from afar just seems to be pressing and it's causing a hitting funk. When you trust that you and your teammates are going to win, swinging the bat becomes free and easy. That's the Giants this season. They are not that talented on paper, and maybe pressing during the postseason will finally reveal them for who they are talent-wise. But this Dodgers team is just carrying a bad mojo, regardless of regular or postseason status.

The bad mojo is more psychological than physical for the hitters.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Did everybody give up already? I still believe.

Giants: 2
Rockies: 2

Bottom of the 7th. Giants finally lost a replay. Rockies tie it up and threatening still.

Dodgers: 3
Arizona: 0

If Rockies can somehow win, we're back to 1 behind with 6 games to play. Still lots of time left guys!

Also, anyone nervous as heck of seeing Kershaw start a playoff game?
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Bottom of the 7th. Giants finally lost a replay. Rockies tie it up and threatening still.

If Rockies can somehow win, we're back to 1 behind with 6 games to play. Still lots of time left guys!

Of course the Rockies couldn’t get the go-ahead run in from 3rd with less than two outs 😩.

Baby steps I guess that they tied it
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Of course the Rockies couldn’t get the go-ahead run in from 3rd with less than two outs 😩.

Baby steps I guess that they tied it

Yup. They would have scored vs. us.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 191 of 395
Jump to: