OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7013, 7014, 7015 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Is that grounds for the team to not pay him for the games missed?

Yes. Paychecks are withheld for games missed. Only exceptions is for injuries.

So Wiggins's freedom could cost him as much as ~15.8 mil. And i honestly wonder if the team wouldn't just bench him completely. Playing a dude only on away games would mess up rotations and i'm sure the rest of the team has to be annoyed with him.

I'm not so sure about that. You may be right, but this is going to be governed by the CBA. I'm not going to dig through the CBA to figure it out, because I expect that someone in the media will do the work for us.

Per Coon’s faq:

Quote:
The CBA does not give a complete list of reasons for which a player can be fined or suspended, although some are specified:

Intentional failure or refusal to render the services required under the player's contract or the CBA: Suspension (length unspecified).

The league or the dubs could “suspend” Wiggins fur their home games & “fine” him aka dock his pay which then goes to charity like COVID vaccination research

Wiggins base pay this year is 31.6m and any suspensions rendered greater than 20 games incites a 1/110 rate in dock of pay from his base salary per games missed. He would be missing 41 games and with a hit of 290k per game, he would get docked about 11.8m net in pay from his base salary. FYI, this crude calculation does not include preseason Warrior/SF home games or the postseason schedule that would include Warrior home games. So baseline in loss of pay due to “suspension” of Warrior home games would be roughly 12m.

gng930 wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps the most demonstrative case of personality over basketball fit is the decision the Lakers made to bring in DeAndre Jordan instead of returning Marc Gasol. While Gasol told reporters in the summer that he planned to return, multiple sources told Southern California News Group that he had expressed that he wasn’t sure he’d be willing to play another NBA season as early as the Lakers’ playoff exit. Gasol entertained doubt well into the offseason, at which point the Lakers decided to go with Jordan, saving money off their luxury tax bill and ensuring they’d bring in a veteran who was definitely motivated to try to win a ring.

On paper, Jordan does not fit with the Lakers as well as Gasol does. The coaching staff expected Davis would play more center during the regular season this year, but Jordan’s addition signals a return to the two-big formations of the 2019-20 season, as Pelinka confirmed on Thursday. Even with two bigs, Gasol’s 3-point shooting and capable (if not agile) defense was a better basketball arrangement to create space for Davis than Jordan’s rim-running and shot-blocking skillset (which has diminished in recent years). A person in the Lakers organization acknowledged that Gasol would be a useful piece for the upcoming season, but also told SCNG: “We need guys that are fully bought in.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/09/24/how-the-lakers-have-changed-their-approach-to-chemistry-this-offseason/

Sounds consistent with the noise we were hearing about Gasol's situation. We needed to purge the disgruntled, even the less obvious suspects.

Disgruntled or not, it’s far more consistent with what’s bolded. The FO had 4.3m problems and a sulking Spaniard ain’t one.

I mean the noise fed to us by the FO was that if healthy, last year’s team was a title team. And then the purge happened where only 3 from last year’s team survived. I guess they were the only ones that came up klutch when the noise was cranked up.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps the most demonstrative case of personality over basketball fit is the decision the Lakers made to bring in DeAndre Jordan instead of returning Marc Gasol. While Gasol told reporters in the summer that he planned to return, multiple sources told Southern California News Group that he had expressed that he wasn’t sure he’d be willing to play another NBA season as early as the Lakers’ playoff exit. Gasol entertained doubt well into the offseason, at which point the Lakers decided to go with Jordan, saving money off their luxury tax bill and ensuring they’d bring in a veteran who was definitely motivated to try to win a ring.

On paper, Jordan does not fit with the Lakers as well as Gasol does. The coaching staff expected Davis would play more center during the regular season this year, but Jordan’s addition signals a return to the two-big formations of the 2019-20 season, as Pelinka confirmed on Thursday. Even with two bigs, Gasol’s 3-point shooting and capable (if not agile) defense was a better basketball arrangement to create space for Davis than Jordan’s rim-running and shot-blocking skillset (which has diminished in recent years). A person in the Lakers organization acknowledged that Gasol would be a useful piece for the upcoming season, but also told SCNG: “We need guys that are fully bought in.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/09/24/how-the-lakers-have-changed-their-approach-to-chemistry-this-offseason/

Sounds consistent with the noise we were hearing about Gasol's situation. We needed to purge the disgruntled, even the less obvious suspects.

DeAndre fits fine with what we want to do.. Javale showed what that looks like. Question is if he's washed or will be revived in a new situation.

I mean what are the odds that Jordan completely stinks up the joint as opposed to him coming in and playing some energized basketball in a place he’s a familiar with? I’d say doubtful the list of players who didn’t perform to expectations and coming to a new team and making a difference is high.. Markieff and Griffin and Batum are 3 examples out of my head.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Car54 wrote:

So Wiggins's freedom could cost him as much as ~15.8 mil. And i honestly wonder if the team wouldn't just bench him completely. Playing a dude only on away games would mess up rotations and i'm sure the rest of the team has to be annoyed with him.

I'm not so sure about that. You may be right, but this is going to be governed by the CBA. I'm not going to dig through the CBA to figure it out, because I expect that someone in the media will do the work for us.

Per Coon’s faq:

Quote:
The CBA does not give a complete list of reasons for which a player can be fined or suspended, although some are specified:

Intentional failure or refusal to render the services required under the player's contract or the CBA: Suspension (length unspecified).

The league or the dubs could “suspend” Wiggins fur their home games & “fine” him aka dock his pay which then goes to charity like COVID vaccination research

Wiggins base pay this year is 31.6m and any suspensions rendered greater than 20 games incites a 1/110 rate in dock of pay from his base salary per games missed. He would be missing 41 games and with a hit of 290k per game, he would get docked about 11.8m net in pay from his base salary. FYI, this crude calculation does not include preseason Warrior/SF home games or the postseason schedule that would include Warrior home games. So baseline in loss of pay due to “suspension” of Warrior home games would be roughly 12m.

gng930 wrote:
Quote:

Disgruntled or not, it’s far more consistent with what’s bolded. The FO had 4.3m problems and a sulking Spaniard ain’t one.

I mean the noise fed to us by the FO was that if healthy, last year’s team was a title team. And then the purge happened where only 3 from last year’s team survived. I guess they were the only ones that came up klutch when the noise was cranked up.

The crux of that article is clear but if you choose to focus on that fragment to further an agenda there's not much I can say. We get that you think the team is frugal. But it's entirely possible and probable that Gasol wasn't projecting good vibes. It's not an outrageous thought considering his minimally veiled reaction to Drummond coming on board.

To your last point, both KCP and Harrell are Klutch clients as well. I think the fact that LBJ and AD are the untouchables has more to do with them staying than their Klutch connection. And the optics would not have been great if they let THT walk after the Lowry trade that wasn't, especially considering that the other rumored principles were no longer in the team's plans.

I'm not sure the FO publicly projecting confidence in last season's roster should necessarily be taken at face value. Obviously you generally don't want to publicly dress down your own players. Any FO is obligated to explore means to improve their roster even if they are truly confident in their championship potential. And we know they have this mentality because they overhauled their very own championship roster the summer before.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Uhhh that sucks. So the whole AD-will-play-more-5 was just b.s.?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject:

You guys have to look at something. There is a lot of talk about our championship run, but I went back and watched some of those playoff series this summer.

It's actually quite false that AD played 5 all the time. When you look at the bubble run, we played 2 small ball teams, and one super small ball team in Houston. They had wings at their 5. We had to adjust to Houston.

We played Portland with a combo of Dwight and AD.
We played Denver with a combo of Dwight and AD.

We basically still ran a lot of 2 big lineups, just more with AD at the 5.

Now there were two series where we ran a lot more AD at the 5. It was Houston. Then Miami. There are reasons for this. 1) Houston plays wings at the 5. They did not have even a PF at the 5. They had wings playing their 5 spots. D'Antoni ball. So we adjusted with AD/Kieff, and even some Kieff/Lebron lineups. Great adjustment. 2) Miami ran a lot of zone, and tried to mess with us knowing our size would kill them. Again, once Miami's zone began to be effective (or switching from zone to man) we started to struggle, so Vogel went to AD at the 5 more.

Now lets look at who we would go through based on last year's elite West teams.

Utah - Gobert at the 5.
Phx - Ayton at the 5.
Denver - Jokic at the 5.
Portland - Nurkic at the 5.

All these guys have a good 20lbs of muscle on AD. These are not guys you want AD defending for 48 minutes.

So while I respect the Gasol vs DAJ argument (Yes, I totally respect the take that Gasol would have been better) I do not respect the whole "AD needs to be our full time 5, and we can't play 2 bigs" argument. Dwight started in 2 playoff series, and we ran 2 big lineups in many playoffs.

In addition, depsite last year's (bleep) chemistry and Dennis/Trez being flops, we ran Andre/AD together and were up 2-1 on the Suns so long as AD played at his level. When AD got hurt, the series was over. Do we really want AD defending Ayton 40 minutes a game?

I like that we can shift between two playing styles. It reminds me a lot of how Phil would max out the potential of Kobe/Gasol. When he wanted more physical play he ran Bynum. Then he inserted Odom in, and Gasol slid to the 5. This changed the way Kobe could attack as well. We can do the same with AD, at an even greater level. In the end, it comes down to AD's 3 point shot. It was great in the championship bubble run. It was (bleep) last year. AD needs to have his 3 ball going in the playoffs. I would shocked if we stuck to a 2 big exclusively model in the playoffs. AD will play the 5, it's just not the only spot he will play. I know we all see the benefits of AD at the 5, but we often ignore the benefits of waiting to move him to the 5. Unless we are playing micro ball or small ball team, full time at the 5, doesn't make automatic sense. We lose physicality, size and the ability to make teams have to adjust to us. We easily can adjust to teams speed/spacing issues by moving AD to the 5.

I definitely would be on the look for a 5 that can stretch the D a bit, but that will be hard to find (if you look at our defensive needs to rim protect, defend). Myles Turner comes to mind. Porzingis. That's about it. So not easy. Best case is AD finds his 3 ball again, and we have the best of both worlds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Per Coon’s faq:

Quote:

I doubt that this would apply. The NBA cannot require vaccinations without the consent of the union. Wiggins will make himself available to play. The City of San Francisco will say that he cannot enter the arena unless he gets vaccinated. Under these circumstances, I doubt that the league could suspend him. This would be a backdoor vaccination requirement without the consent of the union.

I think the better analogy is a player who suffers from a non-basketball medical condition. What happens if a player cannot play due to cancer or some other condition that is not a basketball injury? Even this in an imperfect analogy, though.

As I said, I'm not going to parse the CBA trying to figure out the answer. I expect that someone in the media will figure it out for us.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's actually quite false that AD played 5 all the time. When you look at the bubble run, we played 2 small ball teams, and one super small ball team in Houston. They had wings at their 5. We had to adjust to Houston.

We played 21 playoff games. Assume that someone is playing center for 48 minutes in each of those games. That is 1008 minutes. Howard played a total of 282 minutes in the playoffs. McGee played 135 minutes. This means that someone else was playing center for 591 minutes, or over 50% of the time.

This does not mean that Davis played all of those minutes at center. Morris played some, and there may have been brief stretches where other players played center. But Davis played the center position a lot.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

We played 21 playoff games. Assume that someone is playing center for 48 minutes in each of those games. That is 1008 minutes. Howard played a total of 282 minutes in the playoffs. McGee played 135 minutes. This means that someone else was playing center for 591 minutes, or over 50% of the time.

This does not mean that Davis played all of those minutes at center. Morris played some, and there may have been brief stretches where other players played center. But Davis played the center position a lot.

Yes, but how much he played depended a lot on- Match ups. When we played smaller teams we went more with AD at the 5. However when we played teams with legit starting 5s, AD was usually at the 5 no more than an average of 15 min a game.

Take away the Houston series as that is a unique micro ball team that we likely will not see in the West playoffs.

Here is the Dwight/McGee combo in playoffs vs Portland
27 min game 1
31 min game 2
31 min game 3
40 min game 4
33 min game 5

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject:

Dwight/McGee vs Denver

Game 1 27 min
Game 2 23 min
Game 3 22 min
Game 4 29 min
Game 5 37 min
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

If we play a smaller team, or a microball team, I expect AD at the 5 a lot. However if we play bigger teams like Ayton/Suns, Gobert/Jazz, Jokic /Nuggets the Lakers based on their 2020 ring run need bigs that can be physical and rim protect. Based on 2020 even, where the bigs were not used as much the average minutes needed at 5 for a legit 5 were

27.8 minutes vs Denver
32.4 minutes va Portland

So while Dwight is solid, based on his age and foul trouble (and foul shooting) issues having 2 legit bigs that can rim protect and take the first punch from the Ayton, Jokic, Gobert of the NBA … I think that’s why we are at where we are.

I’m not saying I would have taken DAJ over Gasol, that’s a tough one for me, as I valued Gasol. But I would definitely argue that the Lakers did use their 2 Center model around AD when the match ups warranted it, and we having 2 Legit Centers (Sorry Trez) will give us more defensive match ups and better adjustments available for Vogel.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

We have to be waiting to see if there is a last minute buy out…. There is no way the team doesn’t know who they would sign for the 14th spot based on players that are available right now. My guess is that they are still waiting to see if Love gets let go before training camp starts, if not, I feel like they will sign Ennis.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject:

cital wrote:
We have to be waiting to see if there is a last minute buy out…. There is no way the team doesn’t know who they would sign for the 14th spot based on players that are available right now. My guess is that they are still waiting to see if Love gets let go before training camp starts, if not, I feel like they will sign Ennis.

I don't think Love has anything to do with it. As for Ennis, I'd have no problem with signing him. He'd provide some cover on the wing. But man, he has gotten overrated on this board.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
27.8 minutes vs Denver
32.4 minutes va Portland

Compare that to 35 mpg in the regular season. You're right about the Houston series, of course, but this wasn't just a function of a single playoff series. Also, you skipped the Miami series, when McGee did not play at all and Howard played a total of 71 minutes.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
cital wrote:

I don't think Love has anything to do with it. As for Ennis, I'd have no problem with signing him. He'd provide some cover on the wing. But man, he has gotten overrated on this board.

I agree with Ennis, seems to make the most since, but definitely overrated…. But if they aren’t waiting to see if there is a buyout, what are they waiting for? Might not have to do with Love, but waiting this out is weird, especially with the team already having workouts together in Vegas.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

DeAndre Jordan - 3X NBA all star and part of all defense selection

It’s like people seem to forget who Jordan is just because he had a up and down season this year in Brooklyn, in reality McGee has nothing on Jordan’s jock.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Yes, but how much he played depended a lot on- Match ups. When we played smaller teams we went more with AD at the 5. However when we played teams with legit starting 5s, AD was usually at the 5 no more than an average of 15 min a game.

Take away the Houston series as that is a unique micro ball team that we likely will not see in the West playoffs.

Here is the Dwight/McGee combo in playoffs vs Portland
27 min game 1
31 min game 2
31 min game 3
40 min game 4
33 min game 5

The way I see it, AD played the 4 by default and moving him to the 5 felt like an "adjustment". I feel it will be the same this year. More often than not, I think he starts at the 4 and any move to the 5 will be to adjust for a packed paint especially if Russ is felt to be a liability from the perimeter.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Car54 wrote:
LGFan wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Quote:
NBA denies Andrew Wiggins' request for religious exemption from COVID-19 vaccine

Kurt Helin: The NBA has chosen to deny Andrew Wiggins request for a religious exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination. That means Wiggins will not be able to play in Warriors home games until he is vaccinated. – via Twitter basketballtalk

Denied

good. He can enjoy his FreeDumb at home

His career will go the way of Royce White if that happens....no NBA team will want to deal with that.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

cital wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
cital wrote:

I agree with Ennis, seems to make the most since, but definitely overrated…. But if they aren’t waiting to see if there is a buyout, what are they waiting for? Might not have to do with Love, but waiting this out is weird, especially with the team already having workouts together in Vegas.

I think it tells us that the front office is less concerned than the fans on a message board about filling the 14th slot on the roster. They're content to fish around and see if they find anything interesting. It won't surprise me if they give someone a contract that is unguaranteed or only partially guaranteed. That way, they can just cut them if someone better becomes available.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Philadelphia 76ers players wanted to travel to Los Angeles this week to meet with Ben Simmons and spend time convincing their All-Star teammate to commit to the 2021-22 season with them, but they were informed not to come and that Simmons did not want to meet, sources tell The Athletic.

The core leaders on the 76ers — such as Joel Embiid, Tobias Harris and Matisse Thybulle — and most of the team were set to take a jet to see Simmons before being turned away, sources said. Multiple sources said Simmons didn’t want his teammates, some of whom he considers friends, to make the Philadelphia-to-Los Angeles commute out of courtesy because he won’t change his mind on wanting a trade.

Quote:
What happens if there's no trade before the season?

Bodner: I sort of wonder whether Simmons staying away from the team might play into the Sixers' hands a little bit. The most intense pressure Simmons can apply on the Sixers to resolve this sooner rather than later may be to show up and become even more of a distraction and a nuisance.

If he does stay away, I think Morey and Sixers management may be comfortable dealing with a little bit of a circus-like atmosphere if it gets them closer to the trade deadline and thus would have a better chance of acquiring a significant haul for Simmons that sets them up for the long term.

That would certainly impact the Sixers in the standings, and dreams of a second consecutive year where they finish with the top seed in the conference would be dashed. But if it ultimately gets them a true All-Star caliber player to pair with Embiid and make a run, it would be worth it from their perspective.

Paywall: https://theathletic.com/news/ben-simmons-turns-away-76ers-teammates-wont-change-mind-about-trade-sources/pjdG5DpzQAZM
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Sixers had a chance to get James Harden this past season but decided to keep Simmons because they didn’t want Harden because of Daryl Morey, Embiid and Harden duo right now would have been the favored to win the title and they would potentially still had Tobias Harris as a 3rd banana.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject:

doc rivers just compared ben simmons people to trump voters

i guess he really does not want simmons

https://sports.yahoo.com/doc-rivers-compares-ben-simmons-drama-to-talking-to-people-who-still-believe-trump-won-the-election-181857412.html
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Is there a way we trade for Simmons? Rich Paul is his agent after all.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:

Considering where we are at currently as top Contenders and the overall roster we have I see no chance of it even being entertained tbh unless it was some pennies on the dollar type of deal which Phili is obviously not going to accept especially this early on.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:

Sure, simply trade away every Laker player except Lebron, AD and Westbrook to match Simmons' $33 million salary and you're good to go.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
cital wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
cital wrote:

I think it tells us that the front office is less concerned than the fans on a message board about filling the 14th slot on the roster. They're content to fish around and see if they find anything interesting. It won't surprise me if they give someone a contract that is unguaranteed or only partially guaranteed. That way, they can just cut them if someone better becomes available.

I could see that being the case… maybe they offered Ennis a non guaranteed contract and he isn’t willing to sign yet…. We’ll see what happens.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7013, 7014, 7015 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7014 of 8560
Jump to: