Welcome to Lakers Joel Ayayi UDFA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
I don't think he'll stick.

Too small and unathletic for the 2G position. Too rudimentary a handle for the PG position. Andrew Goudelock-ish.

Gaudlock was incredible the best floater ever in basketball. He was not much of a defender but neither are a lot of guys but the man could score.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
misterchipmunk wrote:
Love this pickup! Very surprised he wasn't drafted.

Jalen Suggs gets a lot of credit on that Gonzaga team but Ayayi is pretty damn good reason they were good as well.

I think he's probably a long term project. Lakers probably thought it was worth the risk. He went from high 2nd round draft pick to being undrafted so that tells me NBA teams didn't like what they saw in workouts. The Gonzaga system probably masked his shortcomings.

Looks like it indicates he went undrafted so he can join the Lakers

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/7/30/22602702/lakers-rumors-austin-reaves-joel-ayayi-turned-down-chance-get-drafted-sign-two-way-contracts
4evARaBruinLG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject:

The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/2726210/2021/07/30/joel-ayayi-goes-to-the-los-angeles-lakers-heres-what-theyre-getting/
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
misterchipmunk wrote:
Love this pickup! Very surprised he wasn't drafted.

Jalen Suggs gets a lot of credit on that Gonzaga team but Ayayi is pretty damn good reason they were good as well.

I think he's probably a long term project. Lakers probably thought it was worth the risk. He went from high 2nd round draft pick to being undrafted so that tells me NBA teams didn't like what they saw in workouts. The Gonzaga system probably masked his shortcomings.

Looks like it indicates he went undrafted so he can join the Lakers

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/7/30/22602702/lakers-rumors-austin-reaves-joel-ayayi-turned-down-chance-get-drafted-sign-two-way-contracts

I get the feeling the NBA is gonna crack down on this....otherwise you are gonna see a lot of players holding out just so they can play for the purple and gold.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Too small and unathletic for the 2G position. Too rudimentary a handle for the PG position. Andrew Goudelock-ish.

Gaudlock was incredible the best floater ever in basketball. He was not much of a defender but neither are a lot of guys but the man could score.

Godlock would have looked great next to Bron and AD. Too bad he got stuck on the Dwight squad.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Godlock would have looked great next to Bron and AD. Too bad he got stuck on the Dwight squad.

Last stint was with the Rockets in 2016. I think he got a 2 pts in a game in preseason and was waived the next day. This is just your nostalgic rosy memories talking. To be able to play next to Bron and AD, you need to have the game to stay in the NBA in the first place. We can name any scrub in Laker history and say he would look good next to Bron and AD. I was high on AG too. But I tend to have a lot of hope for all our picks. LOL! The flavors of the month for me now are THT and Austin Reaves.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:56 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

The ESPN ranking of undrafted rookies sited in that article ranked Austin and Joel 2nd and 3rd.

The #1 undrafted rookie is a big slow PG without hops that can't shoot. He gets to the rack and is "crafty" scoring or passing.

The best attribute of Austin and Joel is catch and shoot from 3.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject:

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/p/undrafted-free-agent-joel-ayayi

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Ayayi is an interesting player, he has a great feel for the game and does a lot of things you want from a role player. Super high IQ and decent size. It’ll be interesting to see what Phil Handy can do with this kid.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Last stint was with the Rockets in 2016. I think he got a 2 pts in a game in preseason and was waived the next day. This is just your nostalgic rosy memories talking. To be able to play next to Bron and AD, you need to have the game to stay in the NBA in the first place. We can name any scrub in Laker history and say he would look good next to Bron and AD. I was high on AG too. But I tend to have a lot of hope for all our picks. LOL! The flavors of the month for me now are THT and Austin Reaves.

Possibly nostalgia, yeah, but I watched every game with AG in it when he was on our team. I'm sure that dude could look decent on our current squad. I can't evaluate how he looked in 2016 as I didn't watch him, and I dunno how well he kept up with his training in the meantime either.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
The God Particle wrote:

Possibly nostalgia, yeah, but I watched every game with AG in it when he was on our team. I'm sure that dude could look decent on our current squad. I can't evaluate how he looked in 2016 as I didn't watch him, and I dunno how well he kept up with his training in the meantime either.

Watching what Goudelock has done internationally and what he did against other NBA teams was pretty darn solid

Even now internationally at 32 he's still killing it and shot 47% from three last season.

So it wasn't like he didn't have skill or wouldn't have done well. It would have just had to have been on a team that put the ball in his hands and at that time, there weren't a lot of teams that saw a 'undersized shooting guard in a point guard body' doing well.

Put Goudelock in the current draft and how the current NBA is run and his playstyle is one a lot of other teams would be open to. And if he was in this years draft he likely wouldn't be a 2nd round pick.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lakers/status/1422688963920236548

Officially signed his 2 way. Congrats!
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ– #18!!!
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

waived, let go from his 2-way contract
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/10/15/22729405/lakers-hoping-joel-ayayi-will-join-g-league-team-training-camp-cut
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject:

^^^ ...and picked up by the Wizards off waivers.

Farewell, Ayayi. We hardly knew ye.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:

Blessing
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Blessing

You can look at it both ways. He will get a better opportunity with the Wizards than with the Lakers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ayayi asked out with an agreement in hand with the Wizards to pick up his 2-way.

I wonder if OKC fans said the same thing when they released AC from his first training camp.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: