2021 NBA Draft.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

aaron henry fan here

shot rotation a little sidewindy though, shooting hand placement a little off center.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject:

So after watching 2 games of LSU, Cam Thomas has impressed me with his ability to get his shot. A bit undisciplined in his shot selection which leads to inefficiency and did not see much penetration where he put pressure on the defense in the lane but if a team believes they can have him play within a team concept he could be special.

He probably would have been better served playing for a coach like Calipari who would have reigned in his undisciplined play.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
So after watching 2 games of LSU, Cam Thomas has impressed me with his ability to get his shot. A bit undisciplined in his shot selection which leads to inefficiency and did not see much penetration where he put pressure on the defense in the lane but if a team believes they can have him play within a team concept he could be special.

He probably would have been better served playing for a coach like Calipari who would have reigned in his undisciplined play.

At least Cam got touches with space. Can't find that in Kentucky.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPSKSihaPY Mike Miller teaching Aaron Henry not to dip

How do you feel about shooters with a low set point (Cade, Tre Mann, Kispert) vs. high (Grimes)? I would believe the low set point reduces the margin of error as it normally produces a lower arcing shot. This seems more applicable to 3pt shots vs. midrange.

I do like what Miller is doing with the more vertical arm extension.

astute observation. guys who don't naturally have the low set point, but use that form, you see that. you see lower trajectories, incompetent trajectories where the ball doesn't have much of a chance to get over the rim - or as you put it, low margin of error. you'll see a lot of short misses.
Dosumnu's set point is super low..

but it's becoming popular - the chin set-point... KPJ, Shai.. even Bones Hyland - who's looks the smoothest out of this group I mentioned, the most natural - and for those players you see the most success shooting with the low pocket (Steph of course naturally has a low pocket)

everyone wants a 1motion shot these days..
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject:

^players are more inclined to want to create space off the handle than change their set points.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
aaron henry fan here

shot rotation a little sidewindy though, shooting hand placement a little off center.

yup
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
aaron henry fan here

yup

He's right handed.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
aaron henry fan here

yup

He's right handed.

that's right. pretty odd. looking at his form again it does look like it's a bit unnatural - the off-arm has a weird placement after the shot - might not necessarily be from shooting with the wrong hand but it might be.
looks the most awkward of the guys I've heard shoot with their weak hands - Bron, Ben Simmons. Ben looked more naturally than that in high school; although Henry has the more compact prettier stroke.. it just looks a bit unnatural.. but i've always thought it was bold to say a player might be shooting with the wrong hand.
I saw a clip of Simmons shooting a FT with his right hand and it looked like the average YMCA guy shooting with their left, did not look natural
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

I just thought of Henry's shot looking kind of stiff, shoulders not relaxed, even if it is compact.

But he's done a ton of work and I'd trust that shot a ton more. At least it's square and he has consistent pressure off the fingertips on the release.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I just thought of Henry's shot looking kind of stiff, shoulders not relaxed, even if it is compact.

But he's done a ton of work and I'd trust that shot a ton more. At least it's square and he has consistent pressure off the fingertips on the release.

yea it's stiff. and when the off-arm is so stiff, awkward, and not relaxed, that's what makes me think about the non dominant hand issue
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPSKSihaPY Mike Miller teaching Aaron Henry not to dip

How do you feel about shooters with a low set point (Cade, Tre Mann, Kispert) vs. high (Grimes)? I would believe the low set point reduces the margin of error as it normally produces a lower arcing shot. This seems more applicable to 3pt shots vs. midrange.

I do like what Miller is doing with the more vertical arm extension.

astute observation. guys who don't naturally have the low set point, but use that form, you see that. you see lower trajectories, incompetent trajectories where the ball doesn't have much of a chance to get over the rim - or as you put it, low margin of error. you'll see a lot of short misses.
Dosumnu's set point is super low..

but it's becoming popular - the chin set-point... KPJ, Shai.. even Bones Hyland - who's looks the smoothest out of this group I mentioned, the most natural - and for those players you see the most success shooting with the low pocket (Steph of course naturally has a low pocket)

everyone wants a 1motion shot these days..

I am of thought this is a byproduct of the popularity of the 3pt shot and young players not having the strength to shoot this shot unless they launch from the low set point. Like the set shot which graduates to a low set point as the player gets older. This has been my thought for all the Ball brothers where Melo still has nuances of the set shot, Lonzo morphed to the left side of the head while LiAngelo has the most fundamental shot although still semi-low.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
General thoughts on guys that may or may not have been discussed here before

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/p/general-thoughts-about-consensus

Any thoughts on Moses Wright? Impressed at the combine with his athleticism and overall hustle. Not sure if he was that energetic during his college career. Only saw him shoot and make 1 3pt shot in the scrimmage and the shot form looked decent. Is he Paul Reed from the last draft who goes undrafted but has a solid development year in the Gleague?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:

It was mentioned in one of the mocks that Garuba has a 3mil buyout with Real Madrid. Not sure if this is negotiable or even if true but do wonder how this will affect his draft position. Don't believe the Lakers would take him and probably a draft and stash candidate for a muliti pick team.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
It was mentioned in one of the mocks that Garuba has a 3mil buyout with Real Madrid. Not sure if this is negotiable or even if true but do wonder how this will affect his draft position. Don't believe the Lakers would take him and probably a draft and stash candidate for a muliti pick team.

Pretty sure I read this too and that the buyout goes up a million dollars each year after.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
General thoughts on guys that may or may not have been discussed here before

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/p/general-thoughts-about-consensus

Any thoughts on Moses Wright? Impressed at the combine with his athleticism and overall hustle. Not sure if he was that energetic during his college career. Only saw him shoot and make 1 3pt shot in the scrimmage and the shot form looked decent. Is he Paul Reed from the last draft who goes undrafted but has a solid development year in the Gleague?

Paul Reed was on a different tier athletically. Wright is more of a motor guy, but I don't believe in his explosiveness.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

Assuming no trades, DX has Garuba mocked at 22.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject:

Isaiah Jackson solid interview and a look at his jumper form, which is nice for a big, has potential. He did say he's a 4 though
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

compare that form to Kai Jones.
stiff, near hitch release
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
compare that form to Kai Jones.
stiff, near hitch release

Kai is another project.

Isaiah, I wish he learned wing skills.

Both guys have unique athletic profiles.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject:

Also, PD's vid on Sharife Cooper, kind of solved a lot of question marks I had about him.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject:

hmm I don't remember that Cooper one too much, what did you take from it? I remember ringing endorsements of his passing, and being impressed at his strength

and your Ayayi film you showed and broke down made me higher on him. I like Ayayi on a good team.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
hmm I don't remember that Cooper one too much, what did you take from it? I remember ringing endorsements of his passing, and being impressed at his strength

and your Ayayi film you showed and broke down made me higher on him. I like Ayayi on a good team.

I think for this particular draft, it's just especially deep to 45, but in other ones, I'd have Ayayi as a late 1st type. Just wish he didn't get screened off so hard.

Cooper, does a ton of subtle things in terms of footwork and ball handling that have a lot of deception and it adds to his craft, which leans to why he can always find a way to get 2 feet into the paint or throw lob passes open.

I read about how he and Okoro grew up together through hoops, and he learned a ton from going against Okoro defensively.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

yea i've been warming up on Ayayi, buying the jumper form ; he knows how to get the ball to teammates who have advantages. and his non-stop movement is really cool. If i had a better feel for his effort and if he'll increase it at the next level, I'd be 10 spots higher on him, somewhere in the 30s - but that effort question is easy for NBA teams to ask and get a read on..

For Cooper it was impressive how he didn't practice with the team and then jupmed in and knew how to pass to his teammates specifically - old school PG leader type trait.
I'm warming on Cooper too, he just looks like a blue chip prospect.. his feel is beyond his years and I kinda buy his finishing
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

Cooper is blue chip. Just LAL needs that many more lob threats. Cooper and Sims with spacing would be phenomenal to the point of me forgiving his lack of jumper.

Ayayi is probably the best off ball mover I've seen, especially because he doesn't get the insane gravity that other elite shooters usually do, so it's that much harder to get open attempts in the paint, but he can do it.

It's that plus his prior years of on ball creation out of PnR where he's fine, not stellar, that make me believe in combo guard roles next to primary guys. A bench lineup that hypothetically includes THT and Ayayi next to LBJ? I ain't mad.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

I'm watching Cooper and he looks like a 25 year old NBA point guard with how he is always in control of his defender, a step ahead mentally so the defender never has anything on him..and then that feel/IQ is there with passing too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 51 of 53
Jump to: