OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:

If Chris threatens to opt out and not re-sign, I can see the Lakers being able to get him.

Threat: "If you do not trade me to the Lakers, I will opt out of my $41 million contract and ..."

What exactly?

Sign with the Lakers as a free agent for $6 million?

Sign with the Knicks, Spurs, OKC, Mavericks, or Raptors (which are the only teams with cap space to give him a decent contract without a sign and trade)?

Doesn't seem like too strong a threat.

Sarvar would probably be thrilled if CP3 opted out. He’s not worth 41 million.

CP3: 'I'll opt in and be fat like Harden last year til I got traded'

CP3 has his antics, but one thing I doubt he does is a pull an unprofessional Harden. It’s not in his DNA.

Reason someone like Giannis clowns Harden is despite his skill, he’s like an aloof star.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject:

Why the chatter about Paul? He is highly unlikely to opt out and be a Laker.

But there is a high likelihood he returns to another injury plagued season. Over the past five years what has been the chatter about Paul ? Injuries.

He was relatively healthy last year, I would expect him to fall off again to his normal hobbled self. The Suns played the odds and won on an aging star. You hope you get one great season out of his multi year contract. They did.

What are the odds he has another?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Quote:
Dr. Buss, like many self-made rich guys, was cheap - especially after he almost lost the Lakers due to over-leveraging. I don't begrudge him for watching his pennies.

I'm still waiting for something to validate that statement. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Why the chatter about Paul? He is highly unlikely to opt out and be a Laker.

But there is a high likelihood he returns to another injury plagued season. Over the past five years what has been the chatter about Paul ? Injuries.

He was relatively healthy last year, I would expect him to fall off again to his normal hobbled self. The Suns played the odds and won on an aging star. You hope you get one great season out of his multi year contract. They did.

What are the odds he has another?

That's a legitimate concern. Him opting out and signing here is not very likely. Also, there are good PGs available. I'm just wishin & hoping.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Schroder was a (bleep) signing. I hope he does better this year. Don't just sign anyone and pray for a healthy Lebron and AD in order to win a championship.

Trez was the signing.
Dennis was a trade for Danny Green and the 28th pick.

The mistake was not going for them, IMO. The mistake was thinking either of them could be core players. We needed to establish them as the #1 bench in the league, with Kuzma. When you have THT, as well. Man, it would have been super hard for teams to make a 2nd unit vs 2nd unit run vs us. But we never went that way, and that is on the Lakers. They viewed Dennis and Trezz to an extent as big usage players with AD-Bron. Not the way it should have been. We ran so many AD-Trezz lineups as well. Ugh. We needed to run Trez-Kuz-Dennis + 2 shooters lineups (Wes-KCP maybe) and let them play small ball and run wild for about 5-7 minutes each half. And if Dennis is having a good game, close with Dennis. If he is not, you just stick with it.

Regardless I still agree with the premise that even if we bring everyone back, the team still ends up losing early in the playoffs. Lebron was hobbled going into the playoffs and AD lasted 3 games. If we had a healthy AD and Bron in the playoffs, ok. We did not. It is all moot.

Thankfully, the only longterm asset we have lost in these moves is the 28th pick, which we do not know we have yet, because we may still re-sign Dennis if plan A, B and C at the PG spot do not work out (good chance). And if we do keep Dennis, I hope we go to that same tactic they refused to do last year. Bring him off the bench to spearhead that unit and play smaller quicker and uptempo with that group. And then close with Dennis if he is playing well, with AD at the 5, Bron at the 4 etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject:

IMO DS is a second unit player. We need a Rondo, CP3, Ja Morant, Damian Lillard type PG. A PG who can run the offense and also take over a game if necessary.

laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject:

If Rob was smart this is what he should do:

Tell Trez if he picks up his option he will not be traded.
Stop shopping KCP and Kuzma. They were loyal soldiers.

Keep Caruso, THT, Morris, Drummond. Resign Howard.

Let DS walk if cost is not reasonable. May be stuck with him like Deng.
Let Dudley go and put in a younger project player in his place.

Keep draft pick.
Draft a PG that will spell Lebron.

Sign DeRozen at mid level exception.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

Keep draft pick.

In essence, run it back, but replace DS for DDR.
And hope Alex and THT improve.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

Keep draft pick.

If we resign Caruso and THT, we likely would be unable to use the full MLE, so we’d only have the mMLE, starting at about $5.7 million.

I doubt Derozan will sign for that. I also doubt Drummond will sign for the minimum.

Anyone's guess is Dwight is open to returning.

So your plan is: Bring back last year's team, except possibly DS. And then hope Derozan, Drummond and Dwight are willing to come here on cheap contracts.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Schroder was a (bleep) signing. I hope he does better this year. Don't just sign anyone and pray for a healthy Lebron and AD in order to win a championship.

I don’t think it was that bad, though I would have preferred Danny Green. The mistake was promising him a starting position. I’m not sure who that one came from, but it was a failure.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
governator wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:

If Chris threatens to opt out and not re-sign, I can see the Lakers being able to get him.

Threat: "If you do not trade me to the Lakers, I will opt out of my $41 million contract and ..."

What exactly?

Sign with the Lakers as a free agent for $6 million?

Sign with the Knicks, Spurs, OKC, Mavericks, or Raptors (which are the only teams with cap space to give him a decent contract without a sign and trade)?

Doesn't seem like too strong a threat.

Sarvar would probably be thrilled if CP3 opted out. He’s not worth 41 million.

CP3: 'I'll opt in and be fat like Harden last year til I got traded'

CP3 has his antics, but one thing I doubt he does is a pull an unprofessional Harden. It’s not in his DNA.

Reason someone like Giannis clowns Harden is despite his skill, he’s like an aloof star.

Also, isn't he still the President of the NBPA? Not a good look to be unprofessional to manipulate the CBA you bargained for.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I don’t think it was that bad, though I would have preferred Danny Green. The mistake was promising him a starting position. I’m not sure who that one came from, but it was a failure.

Easy to say stuff after the fact VLF.

Let's see what you were saying during that championship season. Then you dissapeared for a year. Lol

Shut your ass up
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Quote:
Dr. Buss, like many self-made rich guys, was cheap - especially after he almost lost the Lakers due to over-leveraging. I don't begrudge him for watching his pennies.

How long ago did I post that? We're going back 36 years so you'll have to go behind paywalls.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-02-14-sp-2535-story.html

Here's a free one:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/02/14/Lakers-owner-denies-hes-near-financial-collapse/1889477205200/

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- Sports magnate Jerry Buss, owner of the Lakers, Kings and the Forum, is involved in negotiations to save his empire from bank foreclosure, it was reported Wednesday.

KCBS-TV reported Wednesday that Buss fell behind on payments to Security Pacific Bank last summer and that the establishment is considering taking over some of his holdings.

Buss denied it all, of course, and then proceeded to sell off his real estate business, The Kings, his house, the ranch he got from Jack Kent Cooke and other assets to save the Lakers & the Forum.

What really saved Buss were two things:

1) his gamble on Prime Ticket, a cable channel he co-founded in 1985 that became what is now Fox Sports West, along with

2) selling the naming rights to the Forum to Great Western S & L. That wasn't a done thing in the 80's, but Buss cashed in and started the trend in sports. (Side Note - IIRC, Jeanie had something to do with it and that singled her out as the business maven of the Buss kids).
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject:

bumping for jodeke
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Quote:

How long ago did I post that? We're going back 36 years so you'll have to go behind paywalls.

Here's a free one:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/02/14/Lakers-owner-denies-hes-near-financial-collapse/1889477205200/

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- Sports magnate Jerry Buss, owner of the Lakers, Kings and the Forum, is involved in negotiations to save his empire from bank foreclosure, it was reported Wednesday.

KCBS-TV reported Wednesday that Buss fell behind on payments to Security Pacific Bank last summer and that the establishment is considering taking over some of his holdings.

Buss denied it all, of course, and then proceeded to sell off his real estate business, The Kings, his house, the ranch he got from Jack Kent Cooke and other assets to save the Lakers & the Forum.

1) his gamble on Prime Ticket, a cable channel he co-founded in 1985 that became what is now Fox Sports West, along with

2) selling the naming rights to the Forum to Great Western S & L. That wasn't a done thing in the 80's, but Buss cashed in and started the trend in sports. (Side Note - IIRC, Jeanie had something to do with it and that singled her out as the business maven of the Buss kids).

probably already mentioned but didnt donald sterling help him?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Quote:

Here's a free one:

Quote:

probably already mentioned but didnt donald sterling help him?

Sterling loaned him part of the money to buy the Lakers/Forum/Kern County Land in 1979. I do not know if Sterling helped him out in 1985.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Quote:

Here's a free one:

Quote:

Thank you Doc. Keep in mind. My query wasn't to instigate a debate. It's something I wanted to know.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

Keep draft pick.

pretty sure this what Jeanie Buss prefers, no luxury tax, keeping it safe, while she can still milk LeBron and AD for $$$ but not necessarily contending for a title, just like last few years of Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Keep draft pick.

pretty sure this what Jeanie Buss prefers, no luxury tax, keeping it safe, while she can still milk LeBron and AD for $$$ but not necessarily contending for a title, just like last few years of Kobe

Pretty sure you're wrong about what you're pretty sure Jeanie prefers.

She's smart. She knows what lean down years are like and what parade championship years are like. She knows LeBron's lifeline will eventually end and she's going to be willing to spend to milk every drop out of the Klutch era.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Keep draft pick.

She's smart. She knows what lean down years are like and what parade championship years are like. She knows LeBron's lifeline will eventually end and she's going to be willing to spend to milk every drop out of the Klutch era.

Bingo. She's going to maximize her investment in LBJ/AD.

The latter end of Kobe's career unwound because of "basketball reasons." Mitch said at the time that Stern's veto set the organization back ten years - and it pretty much did. As the boss, Jeanie did what she could to maximize revenue . . . but she understands better than anyone the correlation between winning and profit making in this market.

The Lakers are halfway through the mega Time Warner deal and winning/increased viewership triggers escalator clauses. Bottom line, the Lakers make more money by winning, even if they have to spend more to do so.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Keep draft pick.

Pelinka has said that he was told he could spend “smartly” to better the team. There is no blank check.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Keep draft pick.

Pelinka has said that he was told he could spend “smartly” to better the team. There is no blank check.
Good thing Rob is very good at what he does on possibly getting Westbrook or Hild (2nd choice) that will not hard-cap the team. (https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263512/Russell-Westbrook-Seeks-Trade-As-Wizards-Lakers-Discuss-Deal)

Imagine (nope, there already a large number of veterans that will join a LBJ/AD/Westbrook-led Lakers. If AD2 wants a ring with 3 HOGers, he has the opportunity. AD2/Gasol/AD at the 5 - OMG!!

TNT will continue to expand his game and Caruso will be Caruso!!

Hopefully Morris and Matthews will rejoin the team - if not, there are many other quality veterans that will jump at the opportunity

Imagine the ratings of a Nets - Lakers Finals!!

~ Everybody stop drooling - lol!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Alright Rob, can't wait to see what you do in free agency.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Another executive of the year level performance for Pelinka.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject:

Whether you love or hate his moves... I just love the fact that he swings every summer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 138 of 243
Jump to: