What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Today is the 25th anniversary of the TWA Flight 800 disaster. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I'm convinced the the US government is afraid to admit that they cannot rule out an act by a terrorist nation. They simply don't know what happened and the heavily censured investigation was an attempt to: 1. Hide their inability to find the root cause; and 2. Protect the fragile air travel industry.

I remember one of the "theories" floated was that a misfired navy missile was the cause, hence the coverup.

The reason that one stood out to me is that a year or so prior to that disaster I was flying in to New York one night over the water in that area and saw something thing looked like a rocket below us. I found out later the Navy was doing exercises in the area.

That's not to say I believe that's what happened to TWA800, but it was an interesting theory.

My pet theory is that it was one of the Stinger missiles that was somewhat indiscriminately distributed to one of the Afghan rebel units. Unfortunately that missile made a homecoming. It's just a theory, and it may be entirely wrong. TWA800 disintegrated just slightly beyond the Stinger's reported effective ceiling, but of course that doesn't account for two factors, at least in my mind: 1. there is a time lag between a "hit" and when a large plane might disintegrate. This coincides with witness reports of a small explosion followed by a much larger one, the larger of course is the point of disintegration. 2. the inertial force of the 747 will force it forward even after taking a hit. However to be fair, the radar images did not detect a missile, though I'm not sure about the effectiveness of radar to pick up on something relatively small at high speed. I'm no expert, but the lack of radar confirmation is important in discounting that pet theory.

However the reason I have that nagging pet theory is that a friend of mine was a trained trauma counselor and health care worker who lived on Long Island. She was on call for emergencies, and this definitely qualified. She counseled the witnesses that night, and a couple of them mentioned that they distinctly saw something like a missile climbing towards the plane prior to impact. I talked to her right after the disaster, she wanted someone to talk to, and this was prior to Internet rumors and other nonsense. I cannot remember any other air disaster that had a similar report, other than the airliner shot down by the Russians over the Ukraine. That is why I am still ill at ease about TWA800 to this day. The government in my view has never rendered a satisfactory explanation for the possible missile sighting as there were multiple witnesses.

Is that compelling evidence? No, but it is troubling.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
There is no more useless and whiny generation than Millenials.

When I think of the people who refused to wear masks the past 15 months. And what generations they were from. Millenials are pretty low on the list.

And I can't think of anything more selfish and whiny than the excuses said people used for refusing to do so.

When I see those who refuse to wear masks, I see people of every generation, and fairly evenly so. What non-maskers have in common is not age, but political affiliation and lack of intellect.

I think of college students (the Gen Z-ers Omar praised over Millenials) and Trump supporters (skew older than the Millennial generation) making asses of themselves in stores, dmvs, restaurants, gyms, etc. By putting other people's lives at risk.

But now that I think more about it. I'm sure people 60 and up did a good job overall wearing masks. Not because they are more considerate or collaborative. Just because they were selfish and didn't want to die.

To be fair, young people of any generation are not that good at risk analysis (humans in general aren’t to begin with), being inclined to not yet understand or appreciate mortality. I wasn’t really talking about covid response so much as generational attitudes about little in general. The boomers were the generation that grew up in both unprecedented prosperity and nationalistic paranoia (as well as the civil rights era). They dabbled with drugs and free love but found their solace in selfish affluence and narcissism and a resistance to being responsible or paying for anything. Gen X grew up facing the harsh realities of the Nixon and Reagan eras, and the gutting of all the safety nets, and were the fend for themselves latch key kids. Millenials have very little memory of life before the Internet, and like their boomer forebears, are pretty demanding without being real into doing. As an employer, it’s the worst generation of grown babies to deal with. All want no work. There are plenty of great Millenials and there are a ton of rotten gen x people, but overall gen x would absolutely murder Millenials in a game of survivor. So would gen Z.

I'm really curious to know your opinion on how Millennials are whiny and want it all while not wanting to work for it. What specific examples do you have?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

When I think of the people who refused to wear masks the past 15 months. And what generations they were from. Millenials are pretty low on the list.

And I can't think of anything more selfish and whiny than the excuses said people used for refusing to do so.

When I see those who refuse to wear masks, I see people of every generation, and fairly evenly so. What non-maskers have in common is not age, but political affiliation and lack of intellect.

I think of college students (the Gen Z-ers Omar praised over Millenials) and Trump supporters (skew older than the Millennial generation) making asses of themselves in stores, dmvs, restaurants, gyms, etc. By putting other people's lives at risk.

But now that I think more about it. I'm sure people 60 and up did a good job overall wearing masks. Not because they are more considerate or collaborative. Just because they were selfish and didn't want to die.

To be fair, young people of any generation are not that good at risk analysis (humans in general aren’t to begin with), being inclined to not yet understand or appreciate mortality. I wasn’t really talking about covid response so much as generational attitudes about little in general. The boomers were the generation that grew up in both unprecedented prosperity and nationalistic paranoia (as well as the civil rights era). They dabbled with drugs and free love but found their solace in selfish affluence and narcissism and a resistance to being responsible or paying for anything. Gen X grew up facing the harsh realities of the Nixon and Reagan eras, and the gutting of all the safety nets, and were the fend for themselves latch key kids. Millenials have very little memory of life before the Internet, and like their boomer forebears, are pretty demanding without being real into doing. As an employer, it’s the worst generation of grown babies to deal with. All want no work. There are plenty of great Millenials and there are a ton of rotten gen x people, but overall gen x would absolutely murder Millenials in a game of survivor. So would gen Z.

I'm really curious to know your opinion on how Millennials are whiny and want it all while not wanting to work for it. What specific examples do you have?

Years of being an employer.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Years of being an employer.

I'm sorry to read that you'd had bad experiences with Millennials as an employer. Hopefully that will change.

On the other hand, Millennials are also probably the most entrepreneurial generation yet (except for maybe Gen Z - we'll see about that). There are many stories of Millennials who were struggling financially, working a crappy job that they hated and didn't pay enough, only to quit their job, start a business or launch a smartphone app and start doing extremely well.

I'd also say that one reason that Millennials seem whiny is because we're trying to get ahead and hit developmental milestones in a crappy economy where a college degree will usually only get you a job making $15-20 an hour for many years due to downsizing, overpopulation, corporate greed and narcissism, etc. Whereas when our parents did the exact same stuff they made enough money right out of college to buy a house and start a family before age 30.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

I'm sorry to read that you'd had bad experiences with Millennials as an employer. Hopefully that will change.

On the other hand, Millennials are also probably the most entrepreneurial generation yet (except for maybe Gen Z - we'll see about that). There are many stories of Millennials who were struggling financially, working a crappy job that they hated and didn't pay enough, only to quit their job, start a business or launch a smartphone app and start doing extremely well.

I'd also say that one reason that Millennials seem whiny is because we're trying to get ahead and hit developmental milestones in a crappy economy where a college degree will usually only get you a job making $15-20 an hour for many years due to downsizing, overpopulation, corporate greed and narcissism, etc. Whereas when our parents did the exact same stuff they made enough money right out of college to buy a house and start a family before age 30.

Having familiarized myself with Omar all these years. I don't mind him complaining about Millennials even though I disagree and agree with you.

At least his vote goes to helping workers (many of which are Millennials). And if this wasn't a controversial thread, he probably wouldn't have said it in the first place. Because I'm sure he knows there are bigger fish to fry.

But boy do I agree with you. Millennials got stuck with George W. destroying the economy in '07. Trump destroying the economy a little over a decade later.
Modern medicine keeping old farts alive and well and in positions and homes we should have. And (bleep) in the workplace like this: https://i.imgur.com/GHHC7Mw.png
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Modern medicine keeping old farts alive and well and in positions and homes we should have.

Wow. That’s got to be the ultimate selfish whine. People not dying fast enough for you so you can get their jobs and homes. 😂
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Modern medicine keeping old farts alive and well and in positions and homes we should have.

Wow. That’s g to he ultimate selfish whine. People not dying fast enough for you so you can get their jobs and homes. 😂

Jokes aside. I don't wish death or illness on anybody. Even people I despise. Old farts or not. It's why I am vaccinated and wear a mask even though the chances of COVID (or its variants) putting me in the hospital are minimal. I do it for the old farts.

Only exception to the bolded are fetuses in their 3rd trimester. And that's just cause Soros pays me to support that.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject:

There is a youtube channel where someone tortures and eats seafood while they are alive. She's been doing it for years. Youtube knows about it and still hasn't banned her. She has over 6 million subscribers. Videos with 20-40 million views.

Apparently youtube doesn't consider it animal torture/cruelty/abuse (which is a bannable offense in their TOS) because in Korea people do eat seafood like octopus and squid while alive.

I always try to practice cultural relativism.
On top of that I am not a vegetarian or vegan.
But after seeing a clip of her peel the mantle (skin) off live squid. While in agony and terror (like I said they are very intelligent), they are trying to squirt her and flee. And watching her soak their still live bodies in soy sauce as they writhe in agony (she says the squid are "dancing") and then eat them. I think youtube should ban her content. It's has to be the most disturbing thing I've seen allowed on the platform.

I can't stress to you enough how smart cephalopods are.
They use tools. Their brain to body size are largest among invertebrates and larger than many vertebrates.

Octopi have snuck out of their tanks at aquariums at night. Snuck into other fish tanks. Then they eat their prey. And sneak back into their original tank afterward to get away with the crime. Squids have shot out lights in the room their tanks are in with their ink because they want darkness and understand the apparatus. So when I say they are smart enough to be terrified and tortured during the process of being carved up (specifically in a way to keep them alive) and then eaten alive. I'm not talking out of my butt.

If she humanely killed them and ate them right after. I think I'd be okay with it though.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Wow. That’s g to he ultimate selfish whine. People not dying fast enough for you so you can get their jobs and homes. 😂

Jokes aside. I don't wish death or illness on anybody. Even people I despise. Old farts or not. It's why I am vaccinated and wear a mask even though the chances of COVID (or its variants) putting me in the hospital are minimal. I do it for the old farts.

Think of Jodeke, kikanga! And he just had another birthday, too!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
There is a youtube channel where someone tortures and eats seafood while they are alive. She's been doing it for years. Youtube knows about it and still hasn't banned her. She has over 6 million subscribers. Videos with 20-40 million views.

Apparently youtube doesn't consider it animal torture/cruelty/abuse (which is a bannable offense in their TOS) because in Korea people do eat seafood like octopus and squid while alive.

But after seeing a clip of her peel the mantle (skin) off live squid. While in agony and terror (like I said they are very intelligent), they are trying to squirt her and flee. And watching her soak their still live bodies in soy sauce as they writhe in agony (she says the squid are "dancing") and then eat them. I think youtube should ban her content. It's has to be the most disturbing thing I've seen allowed on the platform.

They use tools. Their brain to body size are largest among invertebrates and larger than many vertebrates.

Octopi have snuck out of their tanks at aquariums at night. Snuck into other fish tanks. Then they eat their prey. And sneak back into their original tank afterward to get away with the crime. Squids have shot out lights in the room their tanks are in with their ink because they want darkness and understand the apparatus. So when I say they are smart enough to be terrified and tortured during the process of being carved up (specifically in a way to keep them alive) and then eaten alive. I'm not talking out of my butt.

If she humanely killed them and ate them right after. I think I'd be okay with it though.

9/10ths of the most disgusting and disturbing YT accounts emanate from Asia (including India). I'm not specifically making value judgments or character assessments on Asian people or Asian-Americans w/ that statement. And I'm not even referring to a site that miiiiiiiight have a cultural food argument (I agree w/ you that the site you're referring to is doing that for shock value and viewcount, not because those are traditional methods of preparation -- they can eat squid and octopi every day if they are at least dispatched in the most humane way that's feasible). I'm just sharing a personal opinion based on a lot of YT viewing. The prevalence of those accounts that are clearly based in that area of the world is difficult to deny. I saw one the other day where the ahole was setting up animal confrontations, every video of that nature. They make money off those accounts until YT finally gets off their asses and pulls them, but then they just re-up under new names.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
9/10ths of the most disgusting and disturbing YT accounts emanate from Asia (including India). I'm not specifically making value judgments or character assessments on Asian people or Asian-Americans w/ that statement. And I'm not even referring to a site that miiiiiiiight have a cultural food argument (I agree w/ you that the site you're referring to is doing that for shock value and viewcount, not because those are traditional methods of preparation -- they can eat squid and octopi every day if they are at least dispatched in the most humane way that's feasible). I'm just sharing a personal opinion based on a lot of YT viewing. The prevalence of those accounts that are clearly based in that area of the world is difficult to deny. I saw one the other day where the ahole was setting up animal confrontations, every video of that nature. They make money off those accounts until YT finally gets off their asses and pulls them, but then they just re-up under new names.

I can even think of the arguments of the opposing position. It's easy to play devils advocate.

Americans mass produce and mass butcher cows. A sacred animal to Hindus.

If you've consumed enough lobster. Chances are, you've consumed a lobster boiled alive.

But those arguments just don't hold weight with what we are talking about.

Cows aren't skinned alive, poured in A1, and eaten when they are still alive.

More and more, lobsters are being killed and then quickly cooked. The only reason why they are kept alive as long as they are is to avoid pathogens being born inside the animal quickly after death (which can't be cooked away). Not the case with squid, octopus and alot of other seafood this youtuber is torturing and consuming while alive.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I'm a huge fan of cephalopods. I've been fortunate to have scuba dived with many over the years - octopus, cuttlefish and squid. My personal favorite are octopus. They are so incredible to interact with when you can get them to trust you. And incredible to watch when they are trying to hide. They can change colors and patterns in an instant and blend into the environment on demand.

But my favorite encounter was with a Caribbean reef squid. I was hovering in shallow water in the sand above a reef and we saw each other. I mean it was literally like that. I saw it come around piece of the reef and it stopped. I stayed put to see what it would do, and after a moment, it started to make its way to me, clearly watching me on its approach. For those that don't know, squid have the ability of bioluminescence. They have a circuit of cells along their body that they can light up like a string of christmas lights that they can flash as series of colors at will.

As the squid got closer to me, its bioluminescence kicked in big time. It was putting on a lightshow for me as it came up and stopped a few feet in front of my face. He then hovered right in front of me, his big eye pointed at me, clearly watching me. He was flashing a series of colors along the tiny points of cells that "light up". I got the overwhelming sense that it was literally sending me a message within the pattern of ever changing colors as it stared at me. After a couple of minutes, I felt it was trying to lure me closer. So I slowly let myself drift closer, and the light patterns grew in intensity, but it didn't move away. I go right to the point where it was a foot or so in front of my mask. I realized I had been holding my breath for fear of expelling a loud burst of bubbles and scaring it off, but I had to breath. So I exhaled expecting the noise and disturbance to send it into retreat. But no, it stayed put.

The squid and I just sat there for awhile until I knew I had to move along with my dive and start working my way back to the boat. I started to swim back down the reef wall and it followed me for a couple of minutes before disappearing in a burst of speed back to its original spot.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ElliotTheFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

It's controversial for this forum especially, but I think there should at least be an * next to the 2020 World Series, if not a different title altogether. To pretend that winning a championship while playing 60 games compared to 162 or even 154 is unreasonable.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

ElliotTheFan wrote:
It's controversial for this forum especially, but I think there should at least be an * next to the 2020 World Series, if not a different title altogether. To pretend that winning a championship while playing 60 games compared to 162 or even 154 is unreasonable.

My controversial opinion is blow me.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject:

ElliotTheFan wrote:

Everyone played under the same conditions and someone had to win. The fact that the Dodgers won shouldn't mean that the win is worth less. Same goes for the Lakers championship in the bubble. Everyone had a chance and someone had to win.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

ElliotTheFan wrote:

Dodgers had a harder road to the championship than any other championship team, given the playoffs were expanded and we didn't have the byes you normally see associated with first-place teams skipping wildcard rounds. The Dodgers played in 4 rounds; prior to 2020 they would have only needed to play in 3.

GTFO with that BS.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ElliotTheFan wrote:

Dodgers had a harder road to the championship than any other championship team, given the playoffs were expanded and we didn't have the byes you normally see associated with first-place teams skipping wildcard rounds. The Dodgers played in 4 rounds; prior to 2020 they would have only needed to play in 3.

GTFO with that BS.

You beat me to my point.

They had to play an extra round and that round was a best of 3 at that. Anyone who knows anything about baseball knows that even a crappy team can beat an amazing team 2 out of 3 times.

The Dodgers have proven the past 8 years that the regular season is not their issue, it's the playoffs. And the fact that they dominated the short regular season as well shows that they were well on their way to winning the division in a full season.

So yeah, it was a global pandemic that affected the entire world. Every team had to play by the same rules, the Dodgers didn't get any home games beyond the first round and had to play extended rounds in the playoffs.

Asterisk? As Duncan said above me, 'GTFO'
ElliotTheFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ElliotTheFan wrote:

GTFO with that BS.

You beat me to my point.

They had to play an extra round and that round was a best of 3 at that. Anyone who knows anything about baseball knows that even a crappy team can beat an amazing team 2 out of 3 times.

The Dodgers have proven the past 8 years that the regular season is not their issue, it's the playoffs. And the fact that they dominated the short regular season as well shows that they were well on their way to winning the division in a full season.

So yeah, it was a global pandemic that affected the entire world. Every team had to play by the same rules, the Dodgers didn't get any home games beyond the first round and had to play extended rounds in the playoffs.

Asterisk? As Duncan said above me, 'GTFO'

To say, "a harder road to the championship than any other championship team" while playing ~100 less regular season games is a tough sale. And I remain unconvinced that playing a sub .500 team in an extra playoff round makes up for that fact.

It might be difficult to remember or even relate to because of how long ago it happened, but way back in the year 2019 there was a team called the Washington Nationals. And through 60 games they were in 4th place in their own division, 6 games under .500, more on them later. Who had the best record in baseball that year through 60 games? Surely a team that must have at least made it to the World Series. SURELY, that team would have at least made it to the AL or NLCS... right? Right?? Well no, the Dodgers did none of those things. The Nationals, well out of even an extended playoff race, losing record through 60 games and all, ended up with 93 wins, and beating a bunch of scumbag cheaters to win the World Series.

It doesn't make any difference that everyone was playing under the same circumstances; yes the pandemic changed things, yes it makes sense that it would, but 60 vs 162 games is almost a different league. At least the NBA kept the game total close.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

If you combined jabroni’s, furries, and the fans of boy bands, professional wrestling, and role playing games, the distilled mental neotony would produce KPop fans.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Bingo. I could listen to yo yo ma all day.

Absolutely, one of my all-time faves -- for this particular video, people contributed their own clips.

Yo-Yo Ma - Bach: Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, Prélude (Official Video)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

My most controversial opinion is that all this generational nonsense has been and remains tedious bull (bleep)
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

My most controversial opinion is that all this generational nonsense has been and remains tedious bull (bleep)

Best take in the whole damn thread.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject:

ElliotTheFan wrote:

Covid happened....using your excuse everything that happened in 2020 would have an asterisk in it. BTW, the players wanted more games but the owners wouldn't have it because they would lose more money. So take your asterisk gripe to the billionaire owners who wouldn't let them play more regular season games. Did you also know that the players only got paid about 1/3 of what they would've gotten in a normal year because the owners found a way to get relief from paying those massive contracts?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I tip my cap that your livelihood doesn’t rely on hiring employees.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject:

I just successfully popped an ingrown hair and feel like I achieved a small victory. You wanna see the gunk that came out? You'll wanna eat it, I guarantee you! Looks like nougat. Haven't had that much fun since I was a teen popping zits. People enjoy popping zits and blemishes and those who say they don't are lying. If that weren't a curious thing about humans, there wouldn't be a Dr. Pimple Popper w/ copious views. Carlin had a bit on that weird human phenomenon.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 43 of 80
Jump to: