Scottie Pippen accuses Phil Jackson of being racist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject:

If I'm on the jury Scottie didn't prove his accusation. I get the impression Phil didn't give him the props he thought he deserved so he gave a weak reason. I don't see prejudice in this instance.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject:

throwing the term racist around is no good. It is a sticky accusation to get rid of. just like when he called Brons team his posse. That was more about being out of touch and an inability to read the room than anything else.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
throwing the term racist around is no good. It is a sticky accusation to get rid of. just like when he called Brons team his posse. That was more about being out of touch and an inability to read the room than anything else.

I agree. If Bill was a racist I'm almost sure it would have come out when he coached the Lakers.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject:

This is just a pampered star who feels like he hasn't gotten enough attention attempting to deflect blame from one of the most selfish acts we've ever seen from a player in playoff basketball. Refusing to enter the game because your coach gave the shot to another player, who by the way made the shot? Scottie wasn't exactly Mr. Clutch.

Scottie basically said that Phil's decision to give Kukoc the shot was racially motivated then when cornered on that he didn't deny Phil was racist. But the root of it all was to try to deflect blame for turning his back on his entire team because the coach made a decision to go with Kukoc over him. It's as simple as that. Does he think Phil would have drawn that up for Kukoc if Jordan were there? How many game winners did he draw up for Gasol ahead of Kobe? But Pippen wasn't Jordan or Kobe, he was a great defender, and a good all around player who was more of an opportunity and fast break scorer than anything else.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject:

In fairness to Phil he is equally pompous condescending and can be an ass to all races combined

Last i checked a lot of the coaches who got Phil’s wrath were white

This isn’t a race thing

Phil was a maverick who delivered rings in a way no one else has or ever will be able to replicate as a coach. Along the way he was downright unfair to many, but it had little to do with race imo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersSamy
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Scottie Pippen accuses Phil Jackson of being racist

AD23 wrote:
https://nypost.com/2021/06/28/scottie-pippen-accuses-phil-jackson-of-being-racist/

Longer clip of the interview
https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/1409537922978754562?s=20

Pretty entertaining, Scottie is one salty SOB lol

Wow this interview kinda cracks me up. The way pippen just goes in
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Don't want to really derail the topic, but you kinda see the racial undertones even in our own fan base....which is why i personally put that camp on blast.

Magic: incompetent, leaky, loud-mouthed, lazy, absentee and not putting in the work exec who “admonished” our white coach

Rob: smart, well-educated, tight-lipped, close to the vest, silent hard working exec who wouldn’t relent to a black coach’s demands so went with a white one that is more a “team player” (can’t ignore the Jeanie-Kurt-Phil dynamic here in relenting to Bron’s posse from hiring coach Lue to outright ignoring Melo with a roster spot; not saying they’re racist, but something clearly is going on there with that dynamic).

Both made the same mistakes then that only one is making now. Yet only one receives the overwhelming blame with little to no recognition for the short-term successes. While the other, is a religious folk hero that can do no wrong with his glorious transactions.

I mean I see it... and it’s wild others don’t or refuse to see it.

Eh, figured I would take a “stab” at it here...now “back” to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Growing up, 95% of the racism I experienced came from other minorities (Black, Hispanic, Asian, Italian, etc). We need to start calling that fact out, and the recent spike in hate crimes against Asians shows this (look up the perpetrator demographics). Russell Peters even joked about it in one of his popular shows 15 years ago, and NOTHING has changed since then. We're bringing each other down and then keeping people down more than any white person could. One of the reasons Kwame is so popular now on social media (300k subs and growing) is because he's going against the popular mainstream narratives on race. It's always the same media personalities (Lemon, Reid, etc) telling people how oppressed they are, while they rake in millions of dollars. They're not lifting people up. They are keeping them oppressed. They are the real racists.

Victim blaming is one of the most effective tools of the oppressor.

What the data show is that when BIPOC do all of the things the "pull yourselves up by your own bootstraps" crowd recommend - education, neighborhood, saving/investing patterns - it's still not enough to overcome implicit bias and structural racism.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html

It's more nuanced and complex than just "pull yourselves up by your own bootstraps". Thomas Sowell provides pretty good insight on why it's happening and it's not "structural racism", which is suggesting that there are laws that discriminate against race (illegal and unconstitutional). In fact, it would be more accurate to blame it on "white guilt": https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2014/03/the_decline_of_the_africanamerican_family.html

Sowell, along with Ward Connerly, Walter Williams & Larry Elder are among the worst examples of the slave syndrome - echoing the tropes of their slave masters and blaming slavery on the slaves themselves. I don't want to over-politicize a thread in the Lounge, but I was raised by a conservative Black Republican dad who voted GOP in every election from 1940 to 1988 (his death). I'm not sure I can post the actual word my dad would've used for Sowell - let's just say "Uncle Tom" wasn't strong enough.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Don't want to really derail the topic, but you kinda see the racial undertones even in our own fan base....which is why i personally put that camp on blast.

Magic: incompetent, leaky, loud-mouthed, lazy, absentee and not putting in the work exec who “admonished” our white coach

Rob: smart, well-educated, tight-lipped, close to the vest, silent hard working exec who wouldn’t relent to a black coach’s demands so went with a white one that is more a “team player” (can’t ignore the Jeanie-Kurt-Phil dynamic here in relenting to Bron’s posse from hiring coach Lue to outright ignoring Melo with a roster spot; not saying they’re racist, but something clearly is going on there with that dynamic).

Both made the same mistakes then that only one is making now. Yet only one receives the overwhelming blame with little to no recognition for the short-term successes. While the other, is a religious folk hero that can do no wrong with his glorious transactions.

I mean I see it... and it’s wild others don’t or refuse to see it.

Eh, figured I would take a “stab” at it here...now “back” to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Growing up, 95% of the racism I experienced came from other minorities (Black, Hispanic, Asian, Italian, etc). We need to start calling that fact out, and the recent spike in hate crimes against Asians shows this (look up the perpetrator demographics). Russell Peters even joked about it in one of his popular shows 15 years ago, and NOTHING has changed since then. We're bringing each other down and then keeping people down more than any white person could. One of the reasons Kwame is so popular now on social media (300k subs and growing) is because he's going against the popular mainstream narratives on race. It's always the same media personalities (Lemon, Reid, etc) telling people how oppressed they are, while they rake in millions of dollars. They're not lifting people up. They are keeping them oppressed. They are the real racists.

Victim blaming is one of the most effective tools of the oppressor.

What the data show is that when BIPOC do all of the things the "pull yourselves up by your own bootstraps" crowd recommend - education, neighborhood, saving/investing patterns - it's still not enough to overcome implicit bias and structural racism.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html

It's more nuanced and complex than just "pull yourselves up by your own bootstraps". Thomas Sowell provides pretty good insight on why it's happening and it's not "structural racism", which is suggesting that there are laws that discriminate against race (illegal and unconstitutional). In fact, it would be more accurate to blame it on "white guilt": https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2014/03/the_decline_of_the_africanamerican_family.html

Sowell, along with Ward Connerly, Walter Williams & Larry Elder are among the worst examples of the slave syndrome - echoing the tropes of their slave masters and blaming slavery on the slaves themselves. I don't want to over-politicize a thread in the Lounge, but I was raised by a conservative Black Republican dad who voted GOP in every election from 1940 to 1988 (his death). I'm not sure I can post the actual word my dad would've used for Sowell - let's just say "Uncle Tom" wasn't strong enough.

1) Can you find me one legitimate source where Sowell blamed slavery on slaves? There's a great deal of misinformation out there about him, and twitter doesn't seem to do a good job of refuting any of his points. To my knowledge, he's indicated that all races have been enslaved at one point in time or another in history, which is supported by the history books and archeological evidence. He doesn't minimize slavery, but rather says that moving forward and accepting that it happened is the best option.

2) My upbringing was the exact opposite of yours. Grew up in a democratic household, believed all the myths about welfare, abortion, healthcare, etc. Then the BLM riots happened, and now, like many who were previously on the left, I consider myself politically homeless and aligning more with center left/right personalities like Glenn Loury, Coleman Hughes and John McWhorter (three of the greatest Black voices that twitter refuses to verify because they don't support BLM).
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

myths?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: