No
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Stephen A. Smith controversy over Shohei Ohtani comment this morning

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/562594-espns-stephen-smith-faces-backlash-over-ohtani-remarks

This might be the stupid remark which finally does him in.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Certainly should be suspended.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Just saw he posted an apology along with a "I'll talk more about this on my show tomorrow." Feels like this was just a ratings move
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Just saw he posted an apology along with a "I'll talk more about this on my show tomorrow." Feels like this was just a ratings move

Everything is on ESPN. Seems like they court controversy just so they have material for the next news cycle.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Don't like Stephen A. So if he gets a timeout. I'm good with that.

The 1st excerpt when he says speaking English makes a player more marketable in the USA. I think that's fine.

When he started saying people would care more if it was Barry Bonds or Mark McGuire. That comes off racist.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

On a tangent, ESPN's baseball production is really, really good. From guys like Peter Gammons to Buster Olney to Tim Kurkjian...they actually provide good insight. Their coverage has always been good. Jeff Passan fits right into this mold. The former players they have on don't spend the telecast just bashing players. None of these soundbites and click-baity topics that seem to be pervasive with their NBA coverage.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Bill Walton in a game once said that Shawn Kemp couldn't be the best player in the league, like a Jordan ambassador type, because of the "iconography of his face". That means ugly in a nutshell. Hard features. I actually agreed to a little extent because studies have shown bias in favor of attractive people. Jordan had that million dollar smile and a perfectly shaped dome and all that. However, if Kemp were good enough on merit, I doubt that his face would've stopped him because Bill Walton won a damn MVP award. He seemed not to realize that he had some rough iconography himself. Either that or he was aware and thus was a voice on the subject.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Besides, does Stephen A not know of Fernando Valenzuela? Naturally, he didn't know very much English when he came over. He didn't speak it good like we do.** I've seen clips of him w/ an interpreter so SAS probably tooted a couple of lines when he wrote that. He got a little too frenetic in his thoughts and statements.

** quote by Jay re: Olaf Metalhead
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject:

I say fired. he sympathized with a wife beater live on air. Made a completely forced apology, was off air for a week and got a raise.

His doubling down on Kwame, his threatening KD live on air "you dont want to make enemies with me".
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I say fired. he sympathized with a wife beater live on air. Made a completely forced apology, was off air for a week and got a raise.

His doubling down on Kwame, his threatening KD live on air "you dont want to make enemies with me".

He's getting paid to say exactly what his bosses want him to say.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

He's getting paid to say exactly what his bosses want him to say.

not in this climate. he just knows hes untouchable.
Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

There’s nothing wrong on him doubling down on kwame, that’s show business and kwame was saying some nasty things even if some of it sounded true. No one in their right mind thinks SAS is going to have KD beat up, lol he was saying he has power of the pen/media to play that game. To say he needs to lose his livelihood over some badly construed words is absurd. Suspension to show the seriousness of disrespecting foreigners and minorities, sure.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Robblake wrote:
Halflife wrote:

There’s nothing wrong on him doubling down on kwame, that’s show business and kwame was saying some nasty things even if some of it sounded true. No one in their right mind thinks SAS is going to have KD beat up, lol he was saying he has power of the pen/media to play that game. To say he needs to lose his livelihood over some badly construed words is absurd. Suspension to show the seriousness of disrespecting foreigners and minorities, sure.

Degrading people is different. He sympathized with a wife beater, and claimed that an Asian guy who needs a translator shouldn’t be face of a league made up of guys from other countries .

Had Rachel Nichols said it she’d be gone. I expect the same for him.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject:

what a mongoloid

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
what a mongoloid

That giant fivehead - - too big to still be a forehead - - might be a clue.

Screamin Ass Smith
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

It was worse tban that. He doubled down by blaming women saying they icite domestic violence. If he wasn't fired then, he never will be.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:

It was worse tban that. He doubled down by blaming women saying they icite domestic violence. If he wasn't fired then, he never will be.

to think Michele beadle was the only one to really speak out about it. We see where she ended up.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject:

SAS spent a great part of FirstTake this morning apologizing to Shohei Ohtanito and the Asian community for what he termed his ignorance. He said Ohtanito speaks three languages. That kinda puts some shade on his apology.

Shohei was on the show. He speaks English better than a great number of Americans, myself included. His enunciation and correctness of sentence speaking structure was surprising. Before I heard him speak and knowing what SAS said I thought Ohtanito couldn't speak English. His command of the langue is excellent.

I love SAS's borrowed quote. "What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual. What do you call a person who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual. What do you call a person who speaks 1 language? American

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

SAS is everything wrong with sports punditry… arrogant, loud mouthed, and painfully ignorant.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
SAS is everything wrong with sports punditry… arrogant, loud mouthed, and painfully ignorant.

I'll agree with arrogant and loud-mouthed, that's his shtick. That's why ESPN pays him $12 million annually to be that (SAS). He's a pundit people love to hate and it draws an audience.

He admitted his ignorance on FirstTake this morning. I accept that ignorance by the Merriam-Webster definition. Ignorant: lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified.

He admitted to not realizing his statement was insulting and why he made it. Stephen had a serious open dialogue with Shohei Ohtani. Ohtani explained why the statement was insulting. Listening to him I understand why. I really believe his explanation was an eye-opener for SAS.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
SAS spent a great part of FirstTake this morning apologizing to Shohei Ohtanito and the Asian community for what he termed his ignorance. He said Ohtanito speaks three languages. That kinda puts some shade on his apology.

Shohei was on the show. He speaks English better than a great number of Americans, myself included. His enunciation and correctness of sentence speaking structure was surprising. Before I heard him speak and knowing what SAS said I thought Ohtanito couldn't speak English. His command of the langue is excellent.

I love SAS's borrowed quote. "What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual. What do you call a person who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual. What do you call a person who speaks 1 language? American

Typical douchebag, non-apology from Screamin' A$$ Smith. Divert from his accountability to make others the problem. The idea that people keep excusing his arrogance and ignorance is astounding.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

^ I'm all for giving people chances to learn and change. But this coupled with the Nigeria comment he made the same day just show he's either very ignorant and xenophobic or knows saying these things will draw attention so his next show has higher ratings.

This is the problem with "experts" being characters on tv. You don't know if they mean what they're saying or if it's just part of their character. And I'm not sure which is worse.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Typical douchebag, non-apology from Screamin' A$$ Smith. Divert from his accountability to make others the problem. The idea that people keep excusing his arrogance and ignorance is astounding.

Explained in response to panamaniac above. It's what he's PAID to be. That comes from a assitant producer who works for ESPN.

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

I'll agree with arrogant and loud-mouthed, that's his shtick. That's why ESPN pays him $12 million annually to be that (SAS). He's a pundit people love to hate and it draws an audience.

He admitted his ignorance on FirstTake this morning. I accept that ignorance by the Merriam-Webster definition. Ignorant: lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified.

He admitted to not realizing his statement was insulting and why he made it. Stephen had a serious open dialogue with Shohei Ohtani. Ohtani explained why the statement was insulting. Listening to him I understand why. I really believe his explanation was an eye-opener for SAS.

SAS is popular and is one of the few surefire ratings draws amongst ESPN employees. They’re not suspending him so his apology was a given.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

ESPN isn't going to fire him, they just gave him another show....
He's their highest paid media personality, the most they will do is give him a stern talking to behind the scenes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: