Breaking - AEG sold their 27% stake in Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
AEG had the right to buy if the Buss family ever sold. Now that AEG is out, hopefully the Buss family sells.

Maybe Donald Sterling?

Bite your tongue.

Judging by his performance in 2015, I don't think he's with us at this point in time. To quote Anton Chigurgh, he's not with us "in the sense that you mean..."
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
For example, until Magic came on board FAs were flocking to other NBA teams.

What? They still are. We capitalized on the Team Lebron/Hollywood/Space Jam angle, and we got Lebron. That's great. But no other free agent of any consequence joined us. So your argument boils down to the idea that the Buss kids are good owners because they agreed to turn things over to Team Lebron.

I'm not rooting for them to fail. It would be great if they proved my skepticism to be unwarranted. But I see people claiming that the bubble title validates Pelinka and the Buss kids. Really, the bubble title was the minimum acceptable result from the first three years of the Team Lebron era. The test comes as we move toward the the closing of the Lebron window and beyond. In other words, what happens as the quick fix fades?

Anthony Davis enforced a trade here. He was slated to become a FA in 2020, and in 2019 told the Pels I am out. He then told them, or other teams that wanted to trade him, that he is LA bound. Essentially he ran his FA before his actual FA and end up in LA.

We all know this is how the FA game works at time. The player forces the trade a year or so in advance to where he wants to end up with. AD did this, and we only get AD if we set things up with Klutch.

You may not believe getting into bed with Klutch was very smart or took a lot of courage or you may not even respect it. I do not really care about that, nor do the Lakers. What they care about is that within 3 years of Jeanie having power, they won a title. Something 26 other teams, wish they could do. You claim that the Lakers are like the Yankees and everyone wants to come here. That is not true. The Lakers were being spurned quite often, from 2012-2016. At one point, Mitch and Jimmy signed Deng and Moz.

As I said, they are not elite, but they are the very least committed to winning and know what it takes to win. A lot of teams just talk about it, but the Lakers with Jeanie, actually do it. Sending out so many assets for AD was a huge risk. Signing Bron at that age, again, a risk. We took a chance on Vogel as well, most fanbase hated that move. We have made a lot of good choices the last 2 years and at some point you should admit to them. You can say it was all just the bare minimum, but that is not true. Easily, this could have been a disaster. It did not, and when you win a championship, some of that is on good moves the FO made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Anthony Davis enforced a trade here. He was slated to become a FA in 2020, and in 2019 told the Pels I am out. He then told them, or other teams that wanted to trade him, that he is LA bound. Essentially he ran his FA before his actual FA and end up in LA.

We all know this is how the FA game works at time. The player forces the trade a year or so in advance to where he wants to end up with. AD did this, and we only get AD if we set things up with Klutch.

You may not believe getting into bed with Klutch was very smart or took a lot of courage or you may not even respect it. I do not really care about that, nor do the Lakers. What they care about is that within 3 years of Jeanie having power, they won a title. Something 26 other teams, wish they could do. You claim that the Lakers are like the Yankees and everyone wants to come here. That is not true. The Lakers were being spurned quite often, from 2012-2016. At one point, Mitch and Jimmy signed Deng and Moz.

As I said, they are not elite, but they are the very least committed to winning and know what it takes to win. A lot of teams just talk about it, but the Lakers with Jeanie, actually do it. Sending out so many assets for AD was a huge risk. Signing Bron at that age, again, a risk. We took a chance on Vogel as well, most fanbase hated that move. We have made a lot of good choices the last 2 years and at some point you should admit to them. You can say it was all just the bare minimum, but that is not true. Easily, this could have been a disaster. It did not, and when you win a championship, some of that is on good moves the FO made.

Wow. If you need to contort yourself that much to make an argument, you should really reconsider the argument. Trades are free agency. Say what? Signing Lebron and trading for Davis was risky. In what weird alternative universe? The Lakers took a chance on Vogel. As opposed to who? Some of the other pom-pom wavers will cheer for you, but this stuff is downright silly.

So we became a franchise of Team Lebron. Like a lot of people, you duck this reality by talking about "Klutch," as if Rich Paul was responsible for all of this. I have nothing against Rich Paul, but he was some guy that Lebron met at the airport selling sports jerseys while Lebron was still in high school. Rich Paul didn't dislodge Davis from the Pelicans. Lebron did. Lebron brought us a title, and that's great. Yet you feel a desperate need to give credit for this to the Buss family, even though they're just along for the ride.

You want to talk about Jim and Mitch signing Deng and Mozgov. Well, Dr. Buss was a fool to put Jim in charge of operations with Jeanie as his boss. I really don't care about the blame game regarding Jim and Jeanie. It's been talked to death. Dr. Buss did a lot of great things with the Lakers, but this wasn't one of them. That's water under the bridge.

But what has Jeanie done? She hired Magic. Yay. Magic brought in Lebron, made some stupid moves because he thought free agents would flock here, and then imploded. We spent some more time begging for free agents, got blown off, then managed to win the bubble title. As I've said, that's the minimum acceptable result. If we didn't win the bubble title, this would look like a disaster. But we did win the title, so things look acceptable.

I get it. You're committed to waving the pom-poms. I just hope that Pelinka can find a way to make this look like something other than a quick fix. Otherwise, we will be looking back on this in five or ten years and shaking our heads.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

well, let's have some fun here. who thinks LeBron buys a stake in the Lakers at some point? i do!

can he do it while still playing? i don't think so?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
AEG had the right to buy if the Buss family ever sold. Now that AEG is out, hopefully the Buss family sells.

Maybe Donald Sterling?

Bite your tongue.

Judging by his performance in 2015, I don't think he's with us at this point in time. To quote Anton Chigurgh, he's not with us "in the sense that you mean..."

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
well, let's have some fun here. who thinks LeBron buys a stake in the Lakers at some point? i do!

I feel like he’s more likely to buy the Cavs, but let’s see.

He could become like Magic and just become full LA.

Depends on if he wants a piece of a franchise or being a majority owner outside of LA.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

yeah, i thought about the cavs as well... but he and dan gilbert are like an old married couple at times... going at each other's throats. LOL!

not sure how that "marriage" would work out.

LakerSD wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

I feel like he’s more likely to buy the Cavs, but let’s see.

He could become like Magic and just become full LA.

Depends on if he wants a piece of a franchise or being a majority owner outside of LA.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
yeah, i thought about the cavs as well... but he and dan gilbert are like an old married couple at times... going at each other's throats. LOL!

Prediction: Lebron will get the next expansion franchise, probably in Las Vegas but possibly in Seattle. I have no specific basis for this prediction. It's just a gut feeling based on how the NBA and Lebron work.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

Team owners cannot be players.

I have no particular reason to think Lebron will buy a stake in the Lakers after he retires, even if he could find someone willing to sell him a stake.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ou should really reconsider the argument. Trades are free agency. Say what? Signing Lebron and trading for Davis was risky. In what weird alternative universe? The Lakers took a chance on Vogel.

There was an article by ESPN, on how Lowry was running his FA at the trade deadline. It happens, quite a bit. Players who are impending FAs force their way to a team 1 year before they are to become a FA. So that the team they are currently with, can get some assets and not lose the FA for nothing.

With AD, it was obvious he wanted to come only to LA, to play with LeBron. This does not happen if they do not share agents, and do have some behind the scenes work going on between ownership of the Lakers and the agent (Paul).

Whether you like the move or not, it paid off fast. You may think having 5 years of 1st round exits or whatever it may be in your mind, for winning a title is not worth it. You may want to put it as a bubble title. Whatever rocks your boat, buddy. In the end, as a Lakers fan of 30 years, I can tell you, that title with Kobe dying, and all the crap that happened the last 8 years, it meant a lot to me and a lot of Laker fans. If we have to endure 5 years of mediocrity for 1 title, it is worth it.

Dallas won a title in 2011, and they have been mediocre since then. Not one 1st round win, missed playoffs multiple times. The Lakers won a title in 2020, and in 2021 look to be in position to make at least a run at one more. If we are mediocre until 2025-26, that is ok with me. Most franchises do not win titles every year and stay contending every year.

Finally, the AD trade was risky. AD could have had a crap year or an injury. He did not just give up Ingram. We gave up a lot of other assets. We married ourselves to AD and Bron, without seeing them play a minute together. The Lakers made a move like that (not to that extent) in Dwight Howard in 2012. These moves do not always work out. AD did, and I am thankful for the title, and will take anything addition to this as gravy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Whether you like the move or not, it paid off fast. You may think having 5 years of 1st round exits or whatever it may be in your mind, for winning a title is not worth it. You may want to put it as a bubble title. Whatever rocks your boat, buddy. In the end, as a Lakers fan of 30 years, I can tell you, that title with Kobe dying, and all the crap that happened the last 8 years, it meant a lot to me and a lot of Laker fans. If we have to endure 5 years of mediocrity for 1 title, it is worth it.

This paragraph expresses the hollowness of your argument: We won the bubble title, therefore the team must have good ownership. Well, you can be happy about the bubble title without being a pom-pom waver. You don't have to contort yourself into making silly arguments about how the Davis trade was risky. You can just be transactional: The Buss family and Lebron brought us the bubble title, and I am happy about it.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

This paragraph expresses the hollowness of your argument: We won the bubble title, therefore the team must have good ownership. Well, you can be happy about the bubble title without being a pom-pom waver. You don't have to contort yourself into making silly arguments about how the Davis trade was risky. You can just be transactional: The Buss family and Lebron brought us the bubble title, and I am happy about it.

The part I agree with is one data-point does not a trend make.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The NBA board of governors has unanimously approved Todd Boehly and Mark Walter’s investment in the Los Angeles Lakers, a 27% stake previously owned by billionaire Philip Anschutz, according to a person familiar with the vote. Sportico first reported on the deal last month. It values the franchise at roughly $5 billion. The transaction will likely close next week, said the person, who was granted anonymity because the matter is private. A representative for the NBA declined to comment

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I wonder whether the “sell the team” propaganda will end
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Philip Anschutz completes sale of 27% stake in Lakers to Dodgers co-owners

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- Philip Anschutz sold his 27% minority interest in the Los Angeles Lakers to Los Angeles Dodgers co-owners Mark Walter and Todd Boehly in a deal that closed Friday.

The transaction was approved by the NBA's board of governors, according to AEG.

"We remain strongly invested in the franchise's long-term success," Dan Beckerman, president and CEO of AEG, said in a statement. "We are confident that with Jeanie (Buss) as the team's controlling owner, the Lakers will continue to be the gold standard in the NBA. Mark Walter and Todd Boehly are great additions to the ownership group, and we look forward to partnering with them for many years to come."

Quote:
Boehly will join the Lakers' board of directors, representing the interests of both Walter and himself.

Walter is co-founder and CEO of Guggenheim Partners, a privately held global financial services company, and is chairman of the Dodgers.

"The Los Angeles Lakers are one of the most successful and admired franchises in sports history," Walter said. "I have watched the organization grow under Jeanie's leadership and couldn't be more excited to partner with her and the entire management team."

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: