2021 Summer League Thread (completed)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: 2021 Summer League Thread (completed)

Summer League coming soon:

Cali August 3-4.

Quote:
California Classic games:
Aug. 3: Lakers vs. Heat, 5 PM. Kings vs. Warriors, 8 PM
Aug. 4: Heat vs. Warriors, 5 PM. Kings vs. Lakers, 8 PM

Vegas August 8-17:

Aug. 8: Suns 7:30pm ESPN2
Aug. 11: Knicks 7:00pm ESPN2
Aug. 13: Clippers 7:00pm NBATV
Aug. 14: Pistons 7:00pm ESPN2

https://www.nba.com/summer-league/2021/vegas/schedule

Roster: https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/lakers-announce-summer-league-2021-roster
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!

Last edited by epic_ on Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:08 pm; edited 11 times in total
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Miss the summer league days when we rolled out a lineup of lottery picks and mid-round picks, but certainly not those regular season games. Didn’t we find Caruso in summer league play? Maybe our scouts find another gem this year
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Miss the summer league days when we rolled out a lineup of lottery picks and mid-round picks, but certainly not those regular season games. Didn’t we find Caruso in summer league play? Maybe our scouts find another gem this year

Yep it was his summer league breakout play when I nicknamed him CaruGOAT, not knowing he was actually going to be a key contributing player at some point.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject:

@hmfaigen
Quote:
After two years as a two-way player, 6’8 center Devontae Cacok is returning to the Lakers to play on their summer league team, according to a league source.

@McAllisterMike1
Quote:
Former Syracuse forward Alan Griffin will play for the Los Angeles Lakers summer league team

@umichbball
Quote:
ICYMI ... Chaundee Brown Jr. signed an exhibit-10 contract with the Los Angeles Lakers & is preparing for Summer League play.

@NotoriousOHM
Quote:
Guard Dakota Mathias, forward Yoeli Childs, forward Vic Law and point guard Zavier Simpson are expected to play on the Lakers summer league team according to a league source.

@TheNBACentral
Quote:
Report: Austin Reaves turned down the ability to get drafted in order to sign with the Lakers as an undrafted free agent

@Ballislife
Quote:
After going undrafted, Mac McClung has signed a deal with the Lakers!! Fire

@LakersNation
Quote:
Lakers act quickly and ink undrafted guard Joel Ayayi to two-way contract:

Current squad looking good.

Austin Reaves (G) 2-way contract
Joel Ayayi (G) 2-way contract
Mac McClung (G)
Devontae Cacok (C)
Alan Griffin (F)
Chaundee Brown Jr. (G)
Dakota Mathias (G)
Yoeli Childs (F)
Vic Law (F)
Zavier Simpson (G)
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:

A shame that the SL team is very small. We are going to get outrebounded a lot.

Maybe we will run them out the building?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Austin Reaves can do in summer league.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
@hmfaigen
Quote:
After two years as a two-way player, 6’8 center Devontae Cacok is returning to the Lakers to play on their summer league team, according to a league source.

@McAllisterMike1
Quote:
Former Syracuse forward Alan Griffin will play for the Los Angeles Lakers summer league team

@umichbball
Quote:
ICYMI ... Chaundee Brown Jr. signed an exhibit-10 contract with the Los Angeles Lakers & is preparing for Summer League play.

@NotoriousOHM
Quote:
Guard Dakota Mathias, forward Yoeli Childs, forward Vic Law and point guard Zavier Simpson are expected to play on the Lakers summer league team according to a league source.

@TheNBACentral
Quote:
Report: Austin Reaves turned down the ability to get drafted in order to sign with the Lakers as an undrafted free agent

@Ballislife
Quote:
After going undrafted, Mac McClung has signed a deal with the Lakers!! Fire

@LakersNation
Quote:
Lakers act quickly and ink undrafted guard Joel Ayayi to two-way contract:

Mac McClung (G)
Devontae Cacok (C)
Alan Griffin (F)
Chaundee Brown Jr. (G)
Dakota Mathias (G)
Yoeli Childs (F)
Vic Law (F)
Zavier Simpson (G)

Zavier Simpson is back with the Lakers and giving a 2nd chance after not playing a single game in the pre-season then waived last year. Good to see that the Lakers are giving him another shot.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject:

4 more days!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

me too.
want to see his on ball playmaking as well as off ball catch and shoot
would have prefer to use 2nd two-way contract on matthew hurt
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Looking forward to seeing Ayayi and Reaves play. What does everybody think the starting lineup will be?

Joel Ayayi
Austin Reaves
Chaundee Brown Jr
Alan Griffin
Devontae Cacok

??? No idea. Just randomly put this in. My only assumption is Ayayi, Reaves and Cacok definitely starting.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Looking forward to seeing Ayayi and Reaves play. What does everybody think the starting lineup will be?

Joel Ayayi
Austin Reaves
Chaundee Brown Jr
Alan Griffin
Devontae Cacok

??? No idea. Just randomly put this in. My only assumption is Ayayi, Reaves and Cacok definitely starting.

Sounds about right. With MCclung coming off the bench. Itlll be a nice squad
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
A shame that the SL team is very small. We are going to get outrebounded a lot.

Maybe we will run them out the building?

Cacok might have been the best in the Gleague and Childs is also strong on the boards. I kind of expect Cacok to take Harrell's spot on the team.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Joel Ayayi
Austin Reaves
Chaundee Brown Jr
Alan Griffin
Devontae Cacok

That is a small lineup. Childs should start over Griffin to be competitive or as you mentioned they try to outrun and out shoot the other team.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Got my Vegas SL tickets for our first 3 games. Excited to check out not only our undrafted guys, but some of the top rookies in the earlier games on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday as well.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject:

@AdamZagoria
Quote:
Former @SetonHallMBB big man Romaro Gill is playing summer league with the Lakers, per source

Mac McClung (G)
Devontae Cacok (C)
Alan Griffin (F)
Chaundee Brown Jr. (G)
Dakota Mathias (G)
Yoeli Childs (F)
Vic Law (F)
Zavier Simpson (G)
Romaro Gill (C)
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
nbaDrafter
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Emiliano Carchia: Jordan Floyd will play for the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Summer League, sources tell @Emiliano Carchia. Floyd spent his rookie season as a pro in Italian Serie A2 with Orlandina averaging 23.7ppg, 2.8rpg and 5.3apg – via Twitter Carchia
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

Well, Romaro Gill is a 7’2 Center. So there is our big guy lol.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

me too.

I was kinda thinking the same. Hurt is a shooter. I'm thinking the Lakers view Reaves as both a shooter and reportedly and excellent ballhandler. He had a low 3pt %, but the intel suggests he'll be much better as a result of having better talent around him.

What caught my attention most was the fact that he, and Ayayi, asked not to be drafted, then went undrafted, then immediately signed with us.

We got true value w/o a single pick. That was way, way nice.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

me too.

I was kinda thinking the same. Hurt is a shooter. I'm thinking the Lakers view Reaves as both a shooter and reportedly and excellent ballhandler. He had a low 3pt %, but the intel suggests he'll be much better as a result of having better talent around him.

What caught my attention most was the fact that he, and Ayayi, asked not to be drafted, then went undrafted, then immediately signed with us.

It was. It felt like we got our first round and 2nd round pick with those signings. It made me feel A LOT better after trading 22 away.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

me too.

yes went and watch some highlights for reaves. it was almost like 1 on 5 for him.

at okla, he was pg and drove to the basket almost all the time. it seems a lot of shots were contested with him having to often contort himself during the shot.

his 3p% was much higher before okla doing mostly catch and shoot.
nbaDrafter
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I expect our two ways (Reaves, Ayayi) to really shoulder the load on the perimeter, and Cacok to show out as well. Very interested to see how Alan Griffin, Trevelin Queen and Vic Law perform, and Dakota Mathias can really shoot it (if nothing else). In order of players to watch:

Reaves - Smaller wing with a unique skillset for college - tough customer who can really handle, pass, draw fouls, and shoot mid-range in. I think he can can eventually hit threes consistently, important to overcome vertical/horizontal athleticism issues that will hinder him on both ends.

Ayayi - Smaller wing who like Reaves has really good handles, good secondary passer. A bit dissonant--maximizes his tools with rebounding prowess (on both ends) and slashing, but lack of strength and athleticism might hinder some of that translation. A fill-in-the-blanks sort of guy with good Gonzaga pedigree.

Griffin - He knows what he is, a 3-and-D guy - that's what he was for Syracuse, could be useful for us. Pretty good standstill shooter, but has no ball skills or slashing ability for not much more. Son of defensive wing Adrian Griffin, he's of the same ilk - plays the Thybulle "bigger than size" role with Syracuse's zone, amassing a ton of blocks at 6'5", best part not really fouling. He's not the reflexive maven or athlete Thybulle is, but he rebounds better and doesn't foul. Limited by average athleticism and really poor strength. Syracuse prospects also routinely underachieve in the league, unlike Thybulle's Washington team where players overachieve- plays a huge role.

Queen - A real athletic 6'6" wing out of New Mexico State who has a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none offensive style. Vertically and horizontally active, with great hops, reflexes and hustle, but suffers heavily when strength is involved. Very willing three point shooter but needs to prove he can make it consistently, something that didn't happen in Houston's G-League; but has real athletic tools and a solid offensive palette, will compete with Alan Griffin in terms of fulfilling those duties.

Law - Interesting 6'7" wing in that he can kinda shoot from range, has some rebounding and some ball skills, block shots, and can jump. Not super reflexive or tough, but there's a versatile skillset and raw physical tools here for a bigger Ayayi-like fill-in-the-blanks stuff. 25 years old. He played in Brisbane, Australia this past season, and averaged 18 pts, 8 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.2 blocks.

Mathias- Very strong shooter in college, backed up by nearly 40% of threes on ~9 attempts in 2020 GLeague. The best shooter on our summer league team this year. He's tougher than you think as just a "shooter", with some rebounds and even a few blocks. He lacks NBA athleticism, strength, and dribbling ability, but if he's an A shooter who can kind of hold his own on defense, he can be a reasonable decoy.

Cacok - We don't need to go over him as much, but he's an 6'7" center (in today's league) with insane rebounding ability at both ends and some reflexes. Put up an insane scoring rate in the G-League, mostly at the rim. He has many of the same problems as Harrell - no range, foul prone, no passing ability - but he's also significantly less athletic. The 6'7" center aspect is just highly problematic however, and he profiles like Craig Smith. I like the guy's mentality and he works very hard, so he's easy root for

Justin Robinson - Tough customer 6'1" PG - in college both took to the rim, took threes and passed well, with high foul drawing rates. However, he played as a kind of secondary creator within Virginia Tech's scheme, and needed most of his at-rim shots created for him, even at 23 years old back then. This combined with a lack of ups was why the at-rim stuff didn't translate to the G-League. He's a good, disciplined defender with quick hands and strength. Almost seems like a facsimile of Jameer Nelson as a small guard who gives it his all. He's a good systems player on both ends, but NBA teams won't really tailor that to a 6'1" player with a lack of athleticism and handles, especially with spotty G-league shooting.

Floyd - 6'2" Div-II guard who played in a lower level Italian league last season. Can pass, and shows some toughness in foul drawing and even surprising shotblocking. Not really a gravity sort of guy, but he averaged 32 points per game in his last year at Div-II, with 50-42-81 splits, and 1.9 steals and 1.1 blocks.

Chaundee Brown - A three point bombing wing (6'5" 215) with some hops and strength, but not much else. I'm not all that convinced in his shooting, as he's mixed mediocre 3-pt %'s @ Wake Forest and didn't hit his free throws this season, and he's just so stiff horizontally--absolutely no ball skills, and god awful steal rate with 4 steals in 28 games. Likely fodder.

Tinkle - Tinkle's a 25 year old, 6'8" 225 lb wing who plays with feistiness--he gets to the rim, gets defensive boards and is very disruptive with steals, and has some ball skills. But he hits a poor intersection of lacking athleticism and shooting ability/gravity, and other than being a hustle player, might struggle to find a niche in the league.

Childs - A 6'8" big with strong rebounding ability, hops and some shotblocking. Not much range, and indiscreet offense, and can stand to reduce his fouling.

Simpson - A 6-foot on-the-dot pure PG with NBA handles and passing, but college-level athleticism and D or F shooting/gravity. Lacks the needed reflexes to overcome his size/athleticism issues as well. And because he somehow plays smaller than his size as a slasher, that won't translate to the NBA level. Pure college guy, but can help organize our offense.

McClung- I see him more as a mid-range scorer/shooter than an actual shooter, but the real problem is he's got guard size and has absolutely no passing ability. He's got some toughness--some foul drawing given that he isn't really a slasher, and surprising shotblocking. This guy hits some poor intersections with lack of vision and stealing ability.

Sims - 7'2" dunker and elite shotblocker type. No range or ball skills whatsoever, and can't defend in space, but more concerning for such a behemoth is his inability to rebound. Goes after every block and will foul in doing so, but never boxes out.

Last edited by nbaDrafter on Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Well, Romaro Gill is a 7’2 Center. So there is our big guy lol.

7’2 , 255 lbs and a 7’9 wingspan. Very underrated undrafted from the 2020 draft.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

nbaDrafter wrote:
Quote:
Emiliano Carchia: Jordan Floyd will play for the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Summer League, sources tell @Emiliano Carchia. Floyd spent his rookie season as a pro in Italian Serie A2 with Orlandina averaging 23.7ppg, 2.8rpg and 5.3apg – via Twitter Carchia

Mac McClung (G)
Devontae Cacok (C)
Alan Griffin (F)
Chaundee Brown Jr. (G)
Dakota Mathias (G)
Yoeli Childs (F)
Vic Law (F)
Zavier Simpson (G)
Romaro Gill (C)
Jordan Floyd (G)
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LDR: The Lakers summer league team plays in the California Classic Summer League in Sacramento against the Heat this TUESDAY at 5 pm pst on ESPN2 and against the Kings this WEDNESDAY on ESPNU at 8 pm.

💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

Full roster set:

https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/lakers-announce-summer-league-2021-roster
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15
Jump to: