Bill Cosby to be released from prison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Fwiw, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court got the decision correct, since their duty is to adjudicate law, and the prosecutors clearly violated the rights of Cosby in a legal sense. That does not change the fact that he is clearly guilty, and that this verdict should not be celebrated.

Sloppy prosecution? Could it be on purpose for double jeopardy? I mean he can never be tried again right?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject:

I was totally caught off guard. I thought Cosby was a done deal. In my eyes, he's still a pervert. No court ruling will change my view of William Henry Cosby Jr.

His statement on how this announcement affected the Black community is self-projecting. 3rd video in link Most Blacks don't have his wealth. He's in the class of the haves, not the have nots. He has the wealth of the 1%. This ruling has no effect on how Black John Doe will be affected. It's not justice for the Black community, it's injustice for Bill Cosby and the haves.

Like the overturning or not, it was fair. He was freed by our judicial system. The prosecutors in this case, just like the prosecutors in OJ's, blew it.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

And the people who said a poor black man doesn’t get that ruling, they’re right. While the decision was actually pretty easy and clear cut legally, most guys wouldn’t have the ability to get through the courts to get there. Or to get a fair hearing if they did. A lot of them wouldn’t even get their case heard.

This is spot on in my opinion other than I would argue neither a poor black man or a poor man of any color gets that ruling for the reasons you mentioned.

That said, you are very right that most inmates in that position never get their case to be heard in the state supreme court, clearly celebrity played a role there.

Supposedly, Harvey Weinstein is spouting off that now he deserves to get out which I can only say I hope does not happen.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
As insane as it was to overturn Cosby's conviction, I've been equally amazed that he got away with raping all those women going back to the '70s.

I'm way too young to remember Cosby in his prime, do any of you who know him better (as a celebrity) know how he evaded anything legal for all those decades? You'd think someone would've said something a really long time ago, but like I said I'm too young to know a lot about Cosby.

It's not specific to Cosby. In those days, successful male stars reigned and their behaviors, which would be highly questionable today, were accepted. Things that might have been questionable back then were tolerated, and egregious behavior was simply dealt with on a hush-hush, scoop it under the rug approach. Because the industry was so male dominated, it was an extremely daunting idea for a woman to even consider making accusations because inevitably it would work against them. They'd either be ignored or even ostracized. And the predators like Cosby grew increasingly emboldened by the complete lack of oversight and accountability.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

And the people who said a poor black man doesn’t get that ruling, they’re right. While the decision was actually pretty easy and clear cut legally, most guys wouldn’t have the ability to get through the courts to get there. Or to get a fair hearing if they did. A lot of them wouldn’t even get their case heard.

This is spot on in my opinion other than I would argue neither a poor black man or a poor man of any color gets that ruling for the reasons you mentioned.

That said, you are very right that most inmates in that position never get their case to be heard in the state supreme court, clearly celebrity played a role there.

Supposedly, Harvey Weinstein is spouting off that now he deserves to get out which I can only say I hope does not happen.

As has been discussed here and in the Weinstein thread, there is no commonality between Cosby's case being overturned on a technicality based on a procedural matter and Weinstein's that would justify that pursuit.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

As has been discussed here and in the Weinstein thread, there is no commonality between Cosby's case being overturned on a technicality based on a procedural matter and Weinstein's that would justify that pursuit.

Bill Cobsy ruling should be used to free Ghislaine Maxwell, her lawyer says

Listen to arguments in the video why Weinstein should be freed as was Cosby. I said I thought Weinsteins lawyers would be scratching to look for commonality (I like that term DMR) to Cosby's case ruling.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Listen to arguments in the video why Weinstein should be freed as was Cosby. I said I thought Weinsteins lawyers would be scratching to look for commonality (I like that term DMR) to Cosby's case ruling.

LINK

She's not Weinstein, and her situation is very different than Cosby because Cosby was given immunity for himself in his own case. That's not the same as Epstein being told Maxwell wouldn't be prosecuted.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

LINK

She's not Weinstein, and her situation is very different than Cosby because Cosby was given immunity for himself in his own case. That's not the same as Epstein being told Maxwell wouldn't be prosecuted.

I know. I said Weinstein's lawyers would be scratching to find a way to find commonality. Listen to the video around the 1:50 mark. The reporter asked did she think this would have this would have any impact on her case, on Harvey Weinstein. She said, "I just don't see how it doesn't." Will it succeed if presented, I don't think so. It's a stretch, it's scratching.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject:

She’s a lawyer. That’s what she’s paid to say.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
She’s a lawyer. That’s what she’s paid to say.

What I said is what she's also paid to do. She's scratching.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: