11 years since the game 7 vs Boston
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: 11 years since the game 7 vs Boston

That was the last beautiful moment for me as a Laker fan, been following the Lakers since I was old enough to remember and it all built up to that point - we shouldn't have won that game, but we did and damn that redemption felt good. Kobe made sure we found a way, he always did.

Been 11 years to the day, and to me sports fandom peaked on that day.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

One of those moments you'll never forget. It was like 3am here in Brazil (I had to get up at 6 the other day), me and my brother screaming and jumping like crazy.

On my way home I saw a couple having sex in a public square
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I remember living on the 2nd floor and making so much noise the neighbor downstairs had to come up lol

RIP Kobe... you made us Laker fans proud that day.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

bar in Queens, NY, mixed crowd, heated heated 4th Q, beat they ass
misterchipmunk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I remember it being a defensive slugfest. Nobody shot well in that game. The biggest difference was all the offensive rebounds and putbacks from Artest.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject:

2008 was the year we deserved to win. 2010 sort of just felt like a lucky year.

08-09 Lakers > 07-08 > 09-10

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

2010 was fate.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject:

That was the legacy defining game for Kobe and Pau. It's insane to think what would have happened if they lost that one. Kobe talked about it and said that losing to the Celtics twice was something he couldn't stomach. And according to KAT, Garnett still isn't over that loss.

It could have gone awry without the heroics of Artest and Fisher. Crazy that they were down 14 in the 4th quarter against a historically good defense. Home court advantage really made a difference.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject:

I was with a group of friends. I taught my friends - at that time very young - daughters how to use thunder sticks in order to cheer properly and boo the other team when they were shooting their free throws. And I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I have watched those last 11 seconds of that game probably more than any other basketball. It was just pure elation.

We shall live to see those days renewed my friends…
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
2010 was fate.

Yeah, it sure seemed like it.
LakersFanESS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I was at work but had to leave early because of how nervous I was. I knew we were going to win game 6 but game 7 I was not sure. It was so frustrating to watch because of Kobe missing shots and the game all mucked up. Then came Fisher's 3 pointer and I knew at that point we were going to win. Fate was going to wear a Lakers jersey that night!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject:

I have misgivings about G7 because I felt that the refs were about to twist the knife on us in the 4th. Another overall piss poor game of reffing out of them in order to make it interesting, imo. I didn't think all the stuff they allowed for the first 3 quarters was righteous and when they switched it to a normally called 4th Q, that gave the Smelt fans all they needed to couch it as a "called it one way for 3 quarters and another way for 1" game. They don't buy that the refs allowed the Cs, a poorer and hampered team, to stay close by allowing them to thug as much as they did.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

In 2010, I preferred the road win and the Gm 6 win to Gm 7. I love Gm 7s and I didn't want to see the Cs win, but I hated those contrived storyline games where the refs clearly dictate a BS style and then change it on a dime.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Metta’s post game was classic
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Best day as a Laker fan. I am fan from 1997 so I went through many many games. But without any doubt best day ever.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Always great to beat Boston, but I think for me, the chip that had the most significance was 2000. I probably didn't appreciate the titles in the 80's as much. Even when 88 was the first NBA team to go back to back in 15 yrs. After 88, everyone went back to back. LOL! So it kinda took a little luster off the shine. But then to wait 12 yrs, you then realize you took the 80's for granted. Then to think we were going to choke it away to Portland, being down 15 pts in the 4th quarter of game 7. The drought was going to continue, we were not going to beat Portland that night..... but then... WE DID! Indiana was anti-climatic, but that Portland game 7. That was the ultimate rollercoaster of a series.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject:

Every time I re watch that game I think damn Staples was lit that night.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Every time I re watch that game I think damn Staples was lit that night.

It seems like everyone came to Staples with the mission that day. Best Staples atmosphere ever for sure.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject:

wow that long... this was most special, Kobe winning it all with broken pinky, fingers, hand, bad knees, bad ankles.. whatever... the most mamba i've seen anybody play.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject:

The only meaningful NBA Finals series played in a long, long time. I remember exactly where I was, whom I watched it with, almost a moment frozen in time. “Kobe passed me the ball” — Ron Artest. We all watched the regular season, Kobe hit maybe a dozen game winners, lost in that were the times that Kobe actively looked for Ron in those situations, Ron failed in the regular season a couple of times, on the biggest stage, at the biggest moment, Ron knocked down the shot. Such an unbelievable moment. I’m sure we were all screaming “No! No! No! YESSS!”
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject:

Should of never happened. 😤😤😤
Lakers should of won in 6 games.

Game 1 we Beat the brakes off Boston , Staples Center.

Game 2 we were totally Robbed!
Refs call a bunch of BS Phantom Fouls on Kobe in the First half basically making him tip toe his play. Kobe still finds a way to lead the charge as he hits a logo three to give us some momentum heading to halftime.

1:59 left in the 4th Quarter , C’s up 93-90 , Pau and KG fight for a rebound. KG clearly tips it out of bounds , refs still give the ball to the C’s.

Off inbound they move the ball around well leading to a Rajon Rondo mid range elbow dagger. Rondo was such a beast back then. I always admired his two way basketball skills but hated him obviously as a Celtic.

Game 3 We Do a Beatdown at Boston. Total team effort , D. fish heroics.

Game 4 and 5 we lose.

Game 6 Back at home was an even bigger Beatdown on Boston than Game 1.
Total domination. I remember before every game you can hear Staples Center rocking Eminem’s “Not Afraid” track. Chills!
Series should of been over right after this.

Instead we go through an epic Game 7. Down 16 at one point. Rasheed going crazy. Halftime I was totally sick to my stomach and couldn’t believe that we might actually lose to these green punks once again.

Kobe, Ron, and Pau went crazy and the rest is history.
First year the Finals MVP was named the Bill Russell award and it went to the greatest Laker of all time.

Rest in Paradise Bean 🙏🏀🙏🏀🙏💜💛💜💛💜
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject:

We should have faced Boston in 2008-2009. That NBA Finals meeting is peak Kobe-Gasol Lakers vs peak big 4 Celtics. The regular season meetings between the 2 teams was absolute gold - the Christmas day game to snap their 19 game winning streak capped off by the Ariza reverse dunk and halt their starting record at 27-2 and the overtime game in February 110-109 where Pau blocks Ray Allen at the end.

TBH, I always felt the 2009 Celtics WAS the strongest team in the NBA that year (barely above the Lakers with the 66-16 Cavs clearly behind both of them) but Garnett's knee injury completely derailed their season and between 2 very close teams like these two and with the Lakers motivation for revenge, this is a 50-50 pick'em series and would have been the greatest NBA Finals in history.

By 2010, both teams were clearly not at their very best shown the year prior. This year, I thought the Cavs were clearly the best team in the league and how they choked away the series with Boston after absolutely massacring them at the Garden in Game 3 is still beyond me. Garnett being outplayed by Gasol was the key to winning the Finals this year. This would not have been the case the year prior and the battle would have been a lot closer between these two.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
In 2010, I preferred the road win and the Gm 6 win to Gm 7. I love Gm 7s and I didn't want to see the Cs win, but I hated those contrived storyline games where the refs clearly dictate a BS style and then change it on a dime.

All 3 wins outside of game 7 were kickass, but that road win was something else. 1-1 series, momentum going Boston's way and then - bam - Artest knees Allen in the thigh, Kobe's relentless play on both ends builds us a lead, and D-Fish does what D-Fish do best. Game 6 was just complete domination. Our entire roster kicked their butt
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

All 3 wins outside of game 7 were kickass, but that road win was something else. 1-1 series, momentum going Boston's way and then - bam - Artest knees Allen in the thigh, Kobe's relentless play on both ends builds us a lead, and D-Fish does what D-Fish do best. Game 6 was just complete domination. Our entire roster kicked their butt

Fish was a true leader, imo. Heart and soul of the squad.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Should of never happened. 😤😤😤
Lakers should of won in 6 games.

Game 1 we Beat the brakes off Boston , Staples Center.

Game 2 we were totally Robbed!
Refs call a bunch of BS Phantom Fouls on Kobe in the First half basically making him tip toe his play. Kobe still finds a way to lead the charge as he hits a logo three to give us some momentum heading to halftime.

1:59 left in the 4th Quarter , C’s up 93-90 , Pau and KG fight for a rebound. KG clearly tips it out of bounds , refs still give the ball to the C’s.

Off inbound they move the ball around well leading to a Rajon Rondo mid range elbow dagger. Rondo was such a beast back then. I always admired his two way basketball skills but hated him obviously as a Celtic.

Game 3 We Do a Beatdown at Boston. Total team effort , D. fish heroics.

Game 4 and 5 we lose.

Game 6 Back at home was an even bigger Beatdown on Boston than Game 1.
Total domination. I remember before every game you can hear Staples Center rocking Eminem’s “Not Afraid” track. Chills!
Series should of been over right after this.

Instead we go through an epic Game 7. Down 16 at one point. Rasheed going crazy. Halftime I was totally sick to my stomach and couldn’t believe that we might actually lose to these green punks once again.

Kobe, Ron, and Pau went crazy and the rest is history.
First year the Finals MVP was named the Bill Russell award and it went to the greatest Laker of all time.

Rest in Paradise Bean 🙏🏀🙏🏀🙏💜💛💜💛💜

God I wish we won that game 5 where Kobe went (bleep) crazy. scored like almost 20 straight but the C's matched us bucket for bucket
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: