The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject:

There should be more maritime disaster movies, preferably good respectful ones. I dig The Terror mini-series, but it seems like Titanic followed by Wolfgang Peterson trying to milk the genre dry with his adequate The Perfect Storm and his terrible Poseidon Adventure remake killed the genre. I suppose the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise fusing Harry Potter era silly fantasy with a popular enjoyment of old time-y battles at sea nerdery accelerated the process.

For example:

It seems like you could make a heckuva contemporary historical disaster movie focused on "Bill" the female sailor who died aged 25 aboard the SS Atlantic whose gender wasn't discovered until her body washed up on shore. The whole SS Atlantic crash only took less than 20 minutes, but it's fascinating, deserves more attention, and a strong ensemble disaster movie could be made out of the historical actors.

Or how about a fictional account of the lost final days of the SS Valbanera, a Spanish passenger ship, which saw every soul on board perish a couple days after it lost all communications? If done tastefully, you could have another The Terror on your hands.

The SS Valencia - which saw most passengers who disembarked on lifeboats disappear at sea - has been shrouded in longstanding ghost stories of lifeboats filled with skeletons haunting the coast of Vancouver Island. Is there some ghost story horror to be mined there on top of the difficult process of rescue boats trying to safely reach the sinking ship and overland rescue parties trying to climb down sheer cliff walls?

The SS Sophia would be a more conventional tale of maritime disaster on its surface, but there were so many twists and turns in the span of 48 hours from being moored on Vanderbilt Reef in a snow storm to being lifted off the reef and sunk during an unexpected extreme high tide. Fascinating, harrowing stuff.

Perhaps a The Red Violin (L'Argent) version of the terribly designed and mismanaged SS Eastland as it passed from incompetent hand to incompetent hand via near disastrous misses before fatally toppling over while overcrowded in the Chicago River killing 844 people. And then after it toppled it was dredged out of the river, sold at auction to the U.S. military, and saw action in both World Wars!

A Rashomon style take on the foundering and sinking of the Star of Bengal alongside Coronation Island as it was being towed out to sea by two greenhorn tugboat crews? Whose version of events was correct? We do have a record of Star of Bengal Captain Wagner's accounts as captured in his daughter's "biography" of her father's adventures as a seaman, The Cradle of the Deep, which was so riddled with falsehoods it was reclassified as fiction and still ended up a NYT bestseller.

This can go on and on. Let's have a renaissance of maritime disaster films that aren't all about the HMS Titanic.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I watched the Courier last night. I loved it. Cumberbach is IMHO one of the best actors currently. The cinematography is stunning.

I would love a new bond set in the 60's.

Been wanting to watch this. Is it on Netflix?

Rental apple

I have The Courier a thriller 2019 with Gary Oldman. And 2021 about the Cuban Missle Crisis. Are you talking about one of these?

cuban missile crisis . Cumberbach was excellent.

Eminence, my IPTV provider, has it in their VOD selections. I'll watch it sometime today.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

I watched the Courier, it was a very good movie, based on real events. Oleg Penkovsky prevented a nuclear catastrophe and paid the ultimate price.

I remember the crisis. I didn't realize how close we were to a nuclear conflict. Nikita Khrushchev was a nut case. We had the right man in office at that time. I think we have the right person in the office now.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I watched the Courier last night. I loved it. Cumberbach is IMHO one of the best actors currently. The cinematography is stunning.

Rental apple

I have The Courier a thriller 2019 with Gary Oldman. And 2021 about the Cuban Missle Crisis. Are you talking about one of these?

Eminence, my IPTV provider, has it in their VOD selections. I'll watch it sometime today.

Chrissy to Paulie re CMC: "That was REAL?! I saw that movie, I thought it was bullsh."

I remember that blonde who was Dubya's press secretary and is now on Fox had that job and she had never heard of the CMC. It's kinda important historically. It's just that time we were at the brink of nuclear Armageddon is all. You work in DC and you didn't hear about that in HS or uni? The other day she and some fool were talking about Mary Lou Retton's perfect 10 performance and she said, "I think that was the 80 Olympics, or was it 84? No, it was 80." Carter pulled us out of the 80 Olympics in Moscow in protest of the USSR invading Afghanistan. Guarantee she had no idea. It's not that she had/has to know these things, but it does go to show that Dubya's administration seemed to have either rubes or cunning bastards like Cheney.

Speaking of Cumberbatch, I think the last movie I saw in full (again) was 12 Years A Slave. I rented it, hadn't seen it in maybe 5 years. That film was full of great performances, tho probably a bit of artistic license in some of the characterizations, including Cumberbatch's character itself. I remember CMB's thread of that title w/ his post "GO!", but missed it when the movie was in theaters. I would love to read that one now but for the search feature that doesn't work.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject:

RIP to Clarence Williams III. I always get excited when he pops up in a movie - he's so much fun in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.

I actually haven't seen the O.G. The Mod Squad. Need to track down some episodes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
RIP to Clarence Williams III. I always get excited when he pops up in a movie - he's so much fun in [i]I'm Gonna Git You Sucka[/i].

I actually haven't seen the O.G. The Mod Squad. Need to track down some episodes.

Yeah, he played a Black activist with a White wife and White children. I'm Gonna Git You Sucka was made during the Black film exploitation era. e.g. Black Dynamite, Blaclua, Coffy, Black Caesar, Cotton Comes To Harlem, to name a few.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Rental apple

Chrissy to Paulie re CMC: "That was REAL?! I saw that movie, I thought it was bullsh."

I remember that blonde who was Dubya's press secretary and is now on Fox had that job and she had never heard of the CMC. It's kinda important historically. It's just that time we were at the brink of nuclear Armageddon is all. You work in DC and you didn't hear about that in HS or uni? The other day she and some fool were talking about Mary Lou Retton's perfect 10 performance and she said, "I think that was the 80 Olympics, or was it 84? No, it was 80." Carter pulled us out of the 80 Olympics in Moscow in protest of the USSR invading Afghanistan. Guarantee she had no idea. It's not that she had/has to know these things, but it does go to show that Dubya's administration seemed to have either rubes or cunning bastards like Cheney.

Speaking of Cumberbatch, I think the last movie I saw in full (again) was 12 Years A Slave. I rented it, hadn't seen it in maybe 5 years. That film was full of great performances, tho probably a bit of artistic license in some of the characterizations, including Cumberbatch's character itself. I remember CMB's thread of that title w/ his post "GO!", but missed it when the movie was in theaters. I would love to read that one now but for the search feature that doesn't work.

I enjoy both Cumberbatch and Fassbender, both being really excellent actors, but both having a clinical undertone that they never quite subsume.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 am    Post subject:

Aite, just finished the 1978 version of The Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers featuring Sutherland, Goldblum (later in The Fly), Brooke Adams, Nimoy (earlier as Spock), and Veronica Cartwright (later in Alien). Also had a weird cameo appearance of Robert Duvall as a priest on a swing. It's the movie that dared to make Donald Sutherland an action hero.

I had never seen this movie and having seen that 84 horror docu called Terror In The Aisles numerous times, I knew that Donald himself was infected because they showed the end scene where he makes the alien shriek at Cartwright, who was the last human left. He points at her and makes a Donald Sutherland face.

I've wanted to see it for years and I remember trying to find it w/ the search feature on Netlfix and cable a few months ago, but no dice. I found a channel that had was due to show it in only 5 mins, so score. Since it was from 78, that's why I hadn't yet seen it. Anything before 1980 is iffy for me because that's right before my lived frame of reference far as pop culture stuff goes. I've still got a few late 70s flicks to go, but I've knocked back many of them since the late 90s. It's taken work and patience and sitting thru some stuff that's not up my alley (space stuff is hit or miss for me). I do know now that this flick is where some of the ideas about alien species changing human DNA in the 2018 flick Annihilation originated. There was a scene where a dog w/ a man's head ran up to Sutherland and barked (the guy was asleep in the grass w/ his dog next to a pod).

You ever seen this one, Omar, Baron, Mule, etc? Weird, but right from the beginning, it had more ominous mood than Rosemary's Baby and The Omen combined. It was difficult to tell what was going on from the very beginning, which probably helped it retain suspense. Pauline Kael liked it and she was more uptight than a dozen Siskels. Wiki says Ebert said he found her appreciation of the film inexplicable. I thought it was mildly entertaining at worst.

wiki article: https://tinyurl.com/p9n33cw

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject:

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

I just watched The Conspiracy. Did zero research. Was actually trying to take a nap and wanted slow in the background but it grabbed me. Its pretty short 1:30 or so. Horrible people.

Tucci and Branagh

Made for TV movie on HBO Max from 2001 or so

At the Wannsee Conference on January 20, 1942, senior Nazi officials meet to determine the manner in which the so-called "Final Solution to the Jewish Question" can be best implemented
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject:

^ I watched that last year and found it incredibly interesting. Extremely well done considering it’s just men sitting at a table for 90% of the movie.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Aite, just finished the 1978 version of The Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers featuring Sutherland, Goldblum (later in The Fly), Karen Allen (later in Starman), Nimoy (earlier as Spock), and Veronica Cartwright (later in Alien). Also had a weird cameo appearance of Robert Duvall as a priest on a swing. It's the movie that dared to make Donald Sutherland an action hero.

I had never seen this movie and having seen that 84 horror docu called Terror In The Aisles numerous times, I knew that Donald himself was infected because they showed the end scene where he makes the alien shriek at Cartwright, who was the last human left. He points at her and makes a Donald Sutherland face.

I've wanted to see it for years and I remember trying to find it w/ the search feature on Netlfix and cable a few months ago, but no dice. I found a channel that had was due to show it in only 5 mins, so score. Since it was from 78, that's why I hadn't yet seen it. Anything before 1980 is iffy for me because that's right before my lived frame of reference far as pop culture stuff goes. I've still got a few late 70s flicks to go, but I've knocked back many of them since the late 90s. It's taken work and patience and sitting thru some stuff that's not up my alley (space stuff is hit or miss for me). I do know now that this flick is where some of the ideas about alien species changing human DNA in the 2018 flick Annihilation originated. There was a scene where a dog w/ a man's head ran up to Sutherland and barked (the guy was asleep in the grass w/ his dog next to a pod).

You ever seen this one, Omar, Baron, Mule, etc? Weird, but right from the beginning, it had more ominous mood than Rosemary's Baby and The Omen combined. It was difficult to tell what was going on from the very beginning, which probably helped it retain suspense. Pauline Kael liked it and she was more uptight than a dozen Siskels. Wiki says Ebert said he found her appreciation of the film inexplicable. I thought it was mildly entertaining at worst.

A great movie for my money and one of the few remakes that matches if not surpasses its classic source material (the original is from 1956).

I don't have much detail to add beyond the obvious merger of '70s paranoia and sci-fi body horror except how fun it functions as a bleak, satiric commentary on the aimlessness of '60s counterculture before Reaganism transformed part of the revolutionary generation into yuppies a few years after Kaufman's Snatchers hit theaters.

If you haven't seen Cronenberg's stuff from around the same time like Shivers, Scanners, The Brood, etc., maybe try and track them down for a watch.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Aite, just finished the 1978 version of The Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers featuring Sutherland, Goldblum (later in The Fly), Brooke Adams, Nimoy (earlier as Spock), and Veronica Cartwright (later in Alien). Also had a weird cameo appearance of Robert Duvall as a priest on a swing. It's the movie that dared to make Donald Sutherland an action hero.

Yeah I enjoyed that one. I also liked the second remake because... Gabrielle Anwar.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ I watched that last year and found it incredibly interesting. Extremely well done considering it’s just men sitting at a table for 90% of the movie.

agree. SS were so clinical about how they wanted to implement chambers. Horrifying but apparently this was from the notes taken at that meeting.Only one copy survived.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Aite, just finished the 1978 version of The Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers featuring Sutherland, Goldblum (later in The Fly), Karen Allen (later in Starman), Nimoy (earlier as Spock), and Veronica Cartwright (later in Alien). Also had a weird cameo appearance of Robert Duvall as a priest on a swing. It's the movie that dared to make Donald Sutherland an action hero.

A great movie for my money and one of the few remakes that matches if not surpasses its classic source material (the original is from 1956).

I don't have much detail to add beyond the obvious merger of '70s paranoia and sci-fi body horror except how fun it functions as a bleak, satiric commentary on the aimlessness of '60s counterculture before Reaganism transformed part of the revolutionary generation into yuppies a few years after Kaufman's Snatchers hit theaters.

If you haven't seen Cronenberg's stuff from around the same time like Shivers, Scanners, The Brood, etc., maybe try and track them down for a watch.

I've seen Scanners and not just for the famous moneyshot, but I haven't yet seen the others you mentioned. And I've seen Scanners only once, I'd give it another go if old movies were easier to find. I vaguely remember the mood vibes in that being similar to Bodysnatchers or if not, I remember beig impressed by it, but it's been awhile.. I do like Cronenberg's style, I'm still a fan of the 86 The Fly remake and A History Of Violence. I'll see if I can scrounge up those others you mentioned, but before that I was planning on searching for Videodrome because I saw discussed somewhere, maybe in a special feature for some other flick. (Note: I mistook Brooke Adams for Karen Allen -- they look like pod people duplicates to me. I watched the whole thing thinking it was Karen and only found out I was wrong when I read the wiki article afterwards).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Giancarlo Giannini is maybe my favorite actor of all time. His mustache twitches and sad, milky eyes are my Olivier.

His 79th birthday is coming up on August 1st, and I wish him a few more decades of being awesome.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject:

The Conjouring 'The Devil Made me do it'... not as scary as the other ones, I mean it's still pretty good but not enough 'exorcist/prayer battle with demon' to my taste

Next up, The Nun
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I've seen Scanners and not just for the famous moneyshot, but I haven't yet seen the others you mentioned. And I've seen Scanners only once, I'd give it another go if old movies were easier to find. I vaguely remember the mood vibes in that being similar to Bodysnatchers or if not, I remember beig impressed by it, but it's been awhile.. I do like Cronenberg's style, I'm still a fan of the 86 The Fly remake and A History Of Violence. I'll see if I can scrounge up those others you mentioned, but before that I was planning on searching for Videodrome because I saw discussed somewhere, maybe in a special feature for some other flick. (Note: I mistook Brooke Adams for Karen Allen -- they look like pod people duplicates to me. I watched the whole thing thinking it was Karen and only found out I was wrong when I read the wiki article afterwards).

Videodrome is the (bleep). Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it after you track it down.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Wrath of Man - A self-conscious Ritchie drops all the "Oi, mate" barbs pretty early on for a dark, meanspirited dissection of action men with guns flicks while getting his heist movie whip cream and cherry on top.

A bit too washed out visually, often too on the nose, and the total lack of practical prosthetics/squibs softens what should've been a more viscerally nasty movie, but worth a watch in a theater if it's still playing near you.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
RIP to Clarence Williams III. I always get excited when he pops up in a movie - he's so much fun in [i]I'm Gonna Git You Sucka[/i].

Yeah, he played a Black activist with a White wife and White children. I'm Gonna Git You Sucka was made during the Black film exploitation era. e.g. Black Dynamite, Blaclua, Coffy, Black Caesar, Cotton Comes To Harlem, to name a few.

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka is a few years after the blacksploitation hey dey - it's an homage and parody of stuff like Dolemite, Black Caesar, etc. Still really funny 30 years later, and Chris Rock has a hilarious first movie cameo where he just wants to buy "one rib."

CWIII is a great mean sob villain in Frankenheimer's 52 Pick-up from 1986 if you haven't seen it. It's usually floating around somewhere streaming.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
The Conjouring 'The Devil Made me do it'... not as scary as the other ones, I mean it's still pretty good but not enough 'exorcist/prayer battle with demon' to my taste

Next up, The Nun

Army of the dead is an easy watch, no thinking, just enjoy the action. I like it
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Haven't seen it in many years, but back n the day it was definitely a must watch cult flick. Saw it a few times back when midnight movies were a thing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Scanners was easily my favorite of the bunch.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject:

And in the vein of cheesy '80's Sci-Fi, "They Live" is also a must see and has one of my favorite movie lines: Rowdy Roddie Piper saying:

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Scanners was easily my favorite of the bunch.

Probably mine, as well, though I don't begrudge Cronenberg going as far as he did in The Brood given how his ex-wife tried to indoctrinate their children into a cult.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 121 of 189
Jump to: