OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6075, 6076, 6077 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

I think that Lowry boat has sailed, unless he comes for the mini MLE. Double S&Ts are rare (I heard in a podcast that only 1 has ever been done in NBA history).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What did we get for JC? Was it a 1st and Isaiah Thomas? It's been so long.

Remember at that time everyone was pining for more picks, and there were some vocal IT fans here on LG.

And Channing Frye.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
Clarkson also is not a good fit into Bron ball, since he's not your typical 3 and D off the ball type.

In addition, unlike your typical 3 and D guard, Clarkson doesn't play D. I think people forget how bad his defense is.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:

I hope keeping THT out of that Lowry trade was worth losing in the 1st round and not trying to repeat.

Specially when he needs to get this summer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

I was 100% in favor of trading Dennis/KCP for Lowry. Thought that was a fair trade because we were losing 2 starters for an expiring deal.

FVV/KCP isn't a bad backcourt at all, and if they wanted to keep Dennis they could.

But throwing in THT made it a different equation. We simply do not have any young developing assets in the pipeline. Kuz used to be it but I think we have a general idea of what type of player he is and what he will likely become.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
I hope keeping THT out of that Lowry trade was worth losing in the 1st round and not trying to repeat.

With injuries to Lebron and Davis, Lowry wasn't going to carry us past the Suns. The question is whether we would have been better off next year. We'll just need to see what, if anything, Pelinka accomplishes this summer.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LGFan wrote:

With injuries to Lebron and Davis, Lowry wasn't going to carry us past the Suns. The question is whether we would have been better off next year. We'll just need to see what, if anything, Pelinka accomplishes this summer.

you are talking after the fact. They should have absolutely gone for that deal and full force towards repeating. THT or not
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject:

Remember, at that time, AD/LBJ were both out with injury.

So losing 3 of our then 4-man guard rotation would have made it tough depth wise.

Remember, in a weaker East, with most of that Toronto team intact, they missed the playoffs.

Don't see why people would assume Lowry does better to drag a team that just lost THT/Dennis/KCP and had AD/LBJ out. It would really be for the next season, as I think we would really be out of the playoffs if we did that trade b/c we had so little depth with injuries.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LGFan wrote:

you are talking after the fact. They should have absolutely gone for that deal and full force towards repeating. THT or not

Lebron and AD were injured before any Lowry news.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
LGFan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LGFan wrote:

Lebron and AD were injured before any Lowry news.

they were suppose to both come back healthy near the end of the season.

doesnt matter now. season is done
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

No worries. Right now I'm just stuck on the idea of trading to CLE since I'm sure Kevin Love wants to move, but it doesn't really address team needs in term of rim protection or creative playmaking. I think LAL missed out on opportunities with CP3, Bogdanovic, Lowry, and that's it for the primetime creators.

I don't get worked up with the notion that we ever missed out on a player. I just accept that teams will often like a package from another team better than what we can offer, and that every trade is a gamble that has a risk of not working out.

Trades that cause fans to cheer often have them jeering a little bit later, and vice versa. Heck, people often change their opinion on how good or bad a trade was several times as the years go by.

Today, we regret not going for Paul (whether or not they would have taken our package). But it's also possible Paul could have declined rather than continue his resurgence, and we might have ended up kicking ourselves. Ditto with Lowry. Or they could have played great and brought us a ring. You just never know, so I choose not to torture myself imagining we missed out on a best case scenario.

I do get worked up, because this is the championship window. More critical for this team than all other teams.

I suppose it's different for me because communicate to more people in the know on twitter now and not just media sources. So if you're asking me if these were possible, I'd absolutely say yes. Ditto for CP3s or Bogdan's desire to go to LA. But LAL didn't make an offer, for a series of reasons. Fine. Doesn't mean I have to like that either.

That's fine if it provides entertainment for you.

Obviously, nothing we do as fans is going to impact what actually happens.

But if analyzing possibilities and imagining fantasy trade scenarios is your thing, have fun with it.

My point is that nothing is guaranteed, so there's no reason getting worked up that we missed out on best-case scenarios, unless getting worked up is part of the way you entertain yourself. If so, it's cool.

I wish other posters took that kind of attitude about it. Appreciate it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Who are the 5 best players in the league.

No order

Luka
Steph
Spida
Kd I guess
Booker

I have no problem saying Luka #1 tbh.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I was 100% in favor of trading Dennis/KCP for Lowry. Thought that was a fair trade because we were losing 2 starters for an expiring deal.

FVV/KCP isn't a bad backcourt at all, and if they wanted to keep Dennis they could.

But throwing in THT made it a different equation. We simply do not have any young developing assets in the pipeline. Kuz used to be it but I think we have a general idea of what type of player he is and what he will likely become.

It's in THT's power to make the idea of trading him look pretty silly in retrospect.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's in THT's power to make the idea of trading him look pretty silly in retrospect.

If LBJ and AD were healthy, I would have included THT and tried to go with that championship run with Lowry, but it it's a far worse alternative than the prior names that have been mentioned.

Just trying to optimize the window. At least TOR could throw picks our way back in return.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If LBJ and AD were healthy, I would have included THT and tried to go with that championship run with Lowry, but it it's a far worse alternative than the prior names that have been mentioned.

Just trying to optimize the window. At least TOR could throw picks our way back in return.

Pretty much how I feel.

But, I'd argue if AD/LBJ were healthy our role guys would actually look good and we may not have even entertained trading away guys.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LGFan wrote:

I also have this nagging thoughts that if Lowry would have been with us on game 4, I have little doubts that he would step up and we won that game and most likely won the series and let AD sit out more against the Nuggets until it becomes necessary . Groin injury takes about a week. I think Wes would have done a better job than KCP with that injury. But losing THT in retrospect was not really prudent because I believed that Schroder was good enough . I was wrong.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

^Yeah, I just, disagree with that idea, Yinoma. But that's the same thinking I had when names like CP3, Bogdanovic, and now Lowry really move the needle.

I sure as hell don't want to go through another playoff series of waiting for just 1 role player to step up, and a lot of times in last year's playoffs, that didn't happen with scoring.

This is also why I don't think moves for role players using the tax payer MLE will move the needle either.

CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^Yeah, I just, disagree with that idea, Yinoma. But that's the same thinking I had when names like CP3, Bogdanovic, and now Lowry really move the needle.

I sure as hell don't want to go through another playoff series of waiting for just 1 role player to step up, and a lot of times in last year's playoffs, that didn't happen with scoring.

This is also why I don't think moves for role players using the tax payer MLE will move the needle either.

I think Lowry is actually better than a role player. He can actually carry a team and run the offense. His shooting can also pull that gravity. I mean the sign and trade for both teams is a win-win scenario even it meant to overpay both players. We can give our pick to be a sweetener.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think that Lowry boat has sailed, unless he comes for the mini MLE. Double S&Ts are rare (I heard in a podcast that only 1 has ever been done in NBA history).

If Lowry indicates he want to leave and Schroder wants to get paid, it will be like KD and Dlo. It can be mutually done as long as it’s a win-win on everyone . The only question is Raptors mindset.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I think Lowry is actually better than a role player. He can actually carry a team and run the offense. His shooting can also pull that gravity. I mean the sign and trade for both teams is a win-win scenario even it meant to overpay both players. We can give our pick to be a sweetener.

Oh I totally agree, which is why I wouldn't have been mad if LAL traded for him.

I prefer Lowry at his contract, rather than DS for what he's asking for. At least I know for the remainder of this window, LAL has 3 legit guys, ya know?

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LGFan wrote:

I could go either way on the Lowry trade. We could have gotten him, seen his decline continue, see THT ascend, and be kicking ourselves. Or it could have worked out. But it was a roll of the dice. If AD and Lebron were healthy at the time, the trade might have made more sense.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject:

The only move WITH hindsight that I wish we made instead, was a CP3 trade. Lowry would not have done anything for us with an injured AD and Lebron at the trade deadline.

With the CP3 trade, I’m guessing the deal would have been KCP, Kuzma, McGee, and Danny Green + our draft pick that offseason for him? Yeah I definitely wish we made that deal now lol.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

I'm guessing if you put healthy AD/LBJ on any playoff team instead of their two best players they would have a better chance of winning than with our role players.

So I think just saying if we wait until those two are healthy is a lazy solution.

Healthy AD masks mediocre defensive teams... healthy LBJ masks mediocre offensive teams.

Just because they were able to win with this group when healthy... doesn't mean the group was the optimal one you could get.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

Lowry doesn't fix what happened this season. But he addresses team needs going forward.

That's also, why I wouldn't have been mad at the trade.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
I'm guessing if you put healthy AD/LBJ on any playoff team instead of their two best players they would have a better chance of winning than with our role players.

So I think just saying if we wait until those two are healthy is a lazy solution.

Healthy AD masks mediocre defensive teams... healthy LBJ masks mediocre offensive teams.

Just because they were able to win with this group when healthy... doesn't mean the group was the optimal one you could get.

I don't think the Lakers are waiting on AD and Lebron's health.

They just thought THT has too much upside to include in the Lowry trade. I don't see that as a right or wrong call; it's just a choice.

Other than that, I don't see that the Lakers passed up any opportunities to improve the team because Lebron and AD weren't healthy. People certainly debate their decisions; but I don't think their intent is in question.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6075, 6076, 6077 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 6076 of 8560
Jump to: