General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 492, 493, 494 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject:

That's entertainment.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wait . . . are people actually watching this (bleep) show of a publicity stunt?

I'm not judging, I just assumed that boxing fans would want nothing to do with such a bastardization of The Sweet Science.

The sport has already been sullied. Between the scorecard irregularities, the best fighters avoiding one another, and the petty promotional disputes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
Mayweather looked his age. He must feel embarassed. https://streamable.com/907wkz

So you think he looked like a 44 year old man dominating a much larger 26 year old man in excellent shape? I get that he did not look like Money in his prime, but I do not think "looked his age" is an accurate description. I would not be shocked if Floyd decided to go the full 8 Rounds....by the 4th Round, there was several rounds where Paul was gassed and could not even hold up his hands. During that period, Floyd would attack to entertain, but seem to back off to allow Paul to survive. Also, Floyd seem to display a little more power in some of those punches than he has in recent fights. I think Floyd took this fight about as serious as the local family doctor takes the towns annual 10K run.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject:

it is safe to say Floyds day as a pro are over. I couldnt imagine him fighting a younger contender. he had an amazing career.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
it is safe to say Floyds day as a pro are over. I couldnt imagine him fighting a younger contender. he had an amazing career.

After the fight, Floyd said his pro days are over. He'll only be doing exhibitions. He'll come up with another fiasco and make a ton. There's a poll at the end of the article. The results are interesting.

CASHING IN How much money did Logan Paul and Floyd Mayweather earn from fight?

This is why he has the nickname Money May

LINK

Quote:
Mayweather has previously said he's likely to earn around £72million for his bout with Paul.

“I can fight a fighter right now and I can guarantee myself $35million (£25m). I can eventually probably make $50million (£36m) for just a regular fight," Mayweather said.

“Or me and Logan Paul can go out, entertain, have fun and make nine figures $100million (£72m) or more.”

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wait . . . are people actually watching this (bleep) show of a publicity stunt?

I'm not judging, I just assumed that boxing fans would want nothing to do with such a bastardization of The Sweet Science.

The sport has already been sullied. Between the scorecard irregularities, the best fighters avoiding one another, and the petty promotional disputes.

Boxing's long road to decline began when they put their biggest fights on PPV. This put the sport out of sight and out of mind for most people not willing to pay 100 bucks for the biggest fights.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

After the fight, Floyd said his pro days are over. He'll only be doing exhibitions. He'll come up with another fiasco and make a ton. There's a poll at the end of the article. The results are interesting.

LINK

Quote:
Mayweather has previously said he's likely to earn around £72million for his bout with Paul.

“I can fight a fighter right now and I can guarantee myself $35million (£25m). I can eventually probably make $50million (£36m) for just a regular fight," Mayweather said.

“Or me and Logan Paul can go out, entertain, have fun and make nine figures $100million (£72m) or more.”

Imagine somebody telling you they are going to fleece you and you still pay them money to see an exhibition. Can't complain when the fight was exactly as it was advertised.....can you really blame Floyd for turning to these sideshows if the public keeps giving him money to do it?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

LINK

Quote:

Imagine somebody telling you they are going to fleece you and you still pay them money to see an exhibition. Can't complain when the fight was exactly as it was advertised.....can you really blame Floyd for turning to these sideshows if the public keeps giving him money to do it?

NOPE! Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I just plugged into my IPTV app to watch a movie. Lo & Behold under recently added was Mayweather vs Paul (2021) I watched the fiasco on my streaming service last night without all the buffering of the free PPV.

Floyd as much as said he's no longer in the fight game, he's going to entertain. He said he could make $35 million fighting a real fighter or $100 million entertaining with the likes of Paul. You want to see Floyd go away, stop paying him.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mayweather allowed him to go 8 rounds. I think he could have finished him in the mid rounds. Mayweather was never even breathing hard.

I think he could have finished him in one round. But he went easy on Paul, and it will be easier to get more exhibition fights (if opponents know that Mayweather will go easy on them instead of trying to kill them in the ring).

Paul didn’t look bad at all for someone as inexperienced as he is though and looked like he was in impressive shape.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mayweather allowed him to go 8 rounds. I think he could have finished him in the mid rounds. Mayweather was never even breathing hard.

I think he could have finished him in one round. But he went easy on Paul, and it will be easier to get more exhibition fights (if opponents know that Mayweather will go easy on them instead of trying to kill them in the ring).

Paul didn’t look bad at all for someone as inexperienced as he is though and looked like he was in impressive shape.

I am not a fan of the Paul brothers....I just find them to be mostly pointless. That said, nobody can fault him for not getting the best of one of the greatest boxers of all time, and I agree that he clearly was in impeccable physical condition.

That clip circulating does appear to show Money buckling his knees and then holding him up to prevent him from landing on the canvas.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I am not a fan of the Paul brothers....I just find them to be mostly pointless. That said, nobody can fault him for not getting the best of one of the greatest boxers of all time, and I agree that he clearly was in impeccable physical condition.

That clip circulating does appear to show Money buckling his knees and then holding him up to prevent him from landing on the canvas.

We cannot really get mad that a guy that is basically the whore of boxing was "faking it."
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

We cannot really get mad that a guy that is basically the whore of boxing was "faking it."

I keep telling y'all, note the nickname MONEY MAY Y'all keep paying MONEY will keep going to the barnyard and sheering the sheep.

Fighting is a business for Mayweather. Gotta give him his props for using the game and not allowing the game to use him.

Mayweather made $10 million just for showing up and will earn 50% of PPV revenue. Paul earned $250,000 plus 10% of PPV revenue.

Quote:
Boxing Commission - releases information like fight purses, PPV buys, etc. However, since the fight between Floyd Mayweather and Logan Paul was an exhibition, the same information is not available in white and black.

Nevertheless, The Wrestling Observer's Dave Meltzer's estimates suggest that the event garnered around 600,000-650,000 pay-per-view buys within the US,. Each PPV purchase cost $49.99. Thus, going by Meltzer's estimates, the PPV buys in the US alone fetched $30 million.

I don't know how it works. I think he gets a percentage of the PPV buys in other country's.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

Face it Mayweather evolved from being strictly a boxer to an entertainer. He went to the WWE to "fight" the Big Show for a million bucks (which was peanuts compared to what he gets for PPVs but taught him there was life beyond boxing, not to mention how to promote your name beyond boxing) and also DWTS which got his name into the mainstream. Since his name is so well known people buy into his brand, even if its for something like an exhibition celebrity boxing match.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Face it Mayweather evolved from being strictly a boxer to an entertainer. He went to the WWE to "fight" the Big Show for a million bucks (which was peanuts compared to what he gets for PPVs but taught him there was life beyond boxing, not to mention how to promote your name beyond boxing) and also DWTS which got his name into the mainstream. Since his name is so well known people buy into his brand, even if its for something like an exhibition celebrity boxing match.

^^^^GETS IT

He wasn't bad on DWTS

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Going to be a champion so my daddy don't have to eat Bologna when he gets out of prison

5 shots to the liver.. as a 19yr old.. effn sharpshooter
Money's first professional fight.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Money May still got one more mega fight, if Pac Man somehow pulls it off against Spence, they both can ride into the sunset with one last 9 figure payday
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Money May still got one more mega fight, if Pac Man somehow pulls it off against Spence, they both can ride into the sunset with one last 9 figure payday

IMO Pacquaio made a career ending decision. I hope he comes out of this with his faculties intact and hangs up the Everlast's.

Pac's too old to chase Mayweather down. Floyd would get on his 10 speed and keep it in high gear.

When Pac got close, quoting Kendrick Perkins, he'd make him smell his cologne.

May would hug Pac so tight he may get charged for sexual harassment.

I wouldn't buy the fight. It would be a snoozer.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Going to be a champion so my daddy don't have to eat Bologna when he gets out of prison

5 shots to the liver.. as a 19yr old.. effn sharpshooter
Money's first professional fight.

Fans overlook Floyd's early career. He TKO'd or KO'd opponents in most of his first 25 fights. LINK

Mayweather changed his game to hit and not be hit. He prolonged his career without brain damage. You don't hear the fighters slur in his speech.

He changed from fighter to businessman. You may not like Floyd but IMO you should respect him. He earned his nickname

MONEY MAY

As of 2021, Floyd Mayweather's net worth is estimated to be roughly $560 million dollars.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject:

At one time, I was a little sad about the overall decline in professional boxing as a major sport in the US....but I have come to realize why the public interest has diminished. The boxers and the promoters have did great damage to the sport because they rarely give the public what it wants, and their hubris continues to make them think the public should consume what they provide.

There have always been big fights out there that the public would be excited about, but over the last two decades they seem to never happen when they should happen. We got Mayweather and Pacquiao, but it should have happened long before it finally took place....it likely would have been a more entertaining fight if it happened when it should have happened. I think if the boxers/promoters were more focused on scheduling the fights that everyone wants, the sport would flourish again.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Thank god Lamar beat Aaron carter.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

This is sad and funny as hell.

LINK

Osama YoMama
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:

This is sad and funny as hell.

LINK

"And that's how I beat Shaq!"

GSW 135
LAL 95

Result:

LAL 123
GSW 119
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject:

That was light work for Floyd. Still glad I didn’t pay for it.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
At one time, I was a little sad about the overall decline in professional boxing as a major sport in the US....but I have come to realize why the public interest has diminished. The boxers and the promoters have did great damage to the sport because they rarely give the public what it wants, and their hubris continues to make them think the public should consume what they provide.

There have always been big fights out there that the public would be excited about, but over the last two decades they seem to never happen when they should happen. We got Mayweather and Pacquiao, but it should have happened long before it finally took place....it likely would have been a more entertaining fight if it happened when it should have happened. I think if the boxers/promoters were more focused on scheduling the fights that everyone wants, the sport would flourish again.

Fighters have gotten smarter. Why should I go in training for eight weeks, sometimes 10, and watch my promoter get a fat chunk of my check? This is a main reason why fighters now fight for the check instead of the belt. It used to be very important to be a champion in your division.

But I watched Shane Mosley jump in the ring after Floyd won his fight and challenged him to a match. What was so crazy about that? Shane was the Champion and ranked the top 147er after smashing Margarito. But everyone knows who was the best at 47, who called all the shot and who generated that bread. We don’t see the fights we should see because fighters are hip to the game.

All those top names from the 60s, 70s and 80s fought each other. But there’s Uncle Bob and Don King robbing them in the process. Let’s say a big fight would generate 2,000,000 bones for Julio C. Chavez.

Taxes take 35-40% (700,000). King takes 40-50% (500,000) of his remaining purse. Pay the team, trainer and cut man (50k-100k). Chavez is lucky to see 700k which will go a long way in Mexico. There’s a reason the feds made it so promoters can only get no more than 33% Because promoters were robbing the fighters. According to Bernard Hopkins, he had a million dollar fight vs Roy Jones and got a cool 85k out of it. Brutal.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

IMO Pacquaio made a career ending decision. I hope he comes out of this with his faculties intact and hangs up the Everlast's.

Pac's too old to chase Mayweather down. Floyd would get on his 10 speed and keep it in high gear.

When Pac got close, quoting Kendrick Perkins, he'd make him smell his cologne.

May would hug Pac so tight he may get charged for sexual harassment.

I wouldn't buy the fight. It would be a snoozer.

Man, I'm worried about this Spence fight, bigger younger stronger fighter. PacMan prob don't feel like he's 43 but his body is 43. (I'm a big PacMan fan)
As far as Money-Pac fight, you know they gonna milk this one more time, it's too much money to let go and yes, people will pay
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 492, 493, 494 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 493 of 514
Jump to: