General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 490, 491, 492 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Expected result for Canelo, and looks like the 22 foot ring did not help BJ, who did not win more than one round from what i saw.

Score Cards

I had it 5-3.....and I have seen some articles today where a couple people even had it 4-4. It was all technical though as I never thought there was any sign that Billy Joe hurt Canelo in the slightest.

Shoe shine punches do not count in my book. Plenty of people have no clue (including the judges) when scoring, so i am not surprised people thought a fight was close where one guy got literally battered until his face was broken.

BadGuy You know you my peeps but I gotta disagree with ya on this one.

If you don't hit hard, but hit so often, it adds up to hard
. You're against MoneyMay's approach, hit and don't get hit. I appreciate the art of boxing.

I gave BJ 2 rounds because he outboxed Canelo. However, if Canelo hadn't broken his eye socket he was starting to get to him. It was just a matter of time. Sanders went into the fight with a boxers chance. If it had gone the distance it may have been close on the scorecards.

Judging is suspect.

In a round where one fighter lands 25 light punches the other lands 1 staggering blow. Some judges give the round to the fighter who landed the most punches others give it to the fighter who landed the one staggering blow. I give it to the fighter who landed the most punches.

Which is fair?

The difference with Mayweather is that he is hitting people numerous times (with accuracy) and not getting touched at all. BJ, on the other hand, had terrible accuracy and was getting lit up (and hurt) throughout the fight while basically running and holding throughout. Outside of one round, i did not see BJ as throwing enough effective punches (while not getting hit as much) to warrant him getting the nod for the round. Mayweather's performance against Canelo vs. BJ's is "night and day" imo.

I wasn't comparing BJ to MoneyMay per se. I was talking about the art of boxing. The 2 rounds I gave BJ were close rounds, Canelo won his rounds convincingly. In the 2 rounds I gave BJ, Canelo landed the harder blows, BJ landed the most punches.

Read the bold, italicized dark red. How do you score?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Expected result for Canelo, and looks like the 22 foot ring did not help BJ, who did not win more than one round from what i saw.

Score Cards

I had it 5-3.....and I have seen some articles today where a couple people even had it 4-4. It was all technical though as I never thought there was any sign that Billy Joe hurt Canelo in the slightest.

Shoe shine punches do not count in my book. Plenty of people have no clue (including the judges) when scoring, so i am not surprised people thought a fight was close where one guy got literally battered until his face was broken.

. You're against MoneyMay's approach, hit and don't get hit. I appreciate the art of boxing.

I gave BJ 2 rounds because he outboxed Canelo. However, if Canelo hadn't broken his eye socket he was starting to get to him. It was just a matter of time. Sanders went into the fight with a boxers chance. If it had gone the distance it may have been close on the scorecards.

Judging is suspect.

In a round where one fighter lands 25 light punches the other lands 1 staggering blow. Some judges give the round to the fighter who landed the most punches others give it to the fighter who landed the one staggering blow. I give it to the fighter who landed the most punches.

Which is fair?

The difference with Mayweather is that he is hitting people numerous times (with accuracy) and not getting touched at all. BJ, on the other hand, had terrible accuracy and was getting lit up (and hurt) throughout the fight while basically running and holding throughout. Outside of one round, i did not see BJ as throwing enough effective punches (while not getting hit as much) to warrant him getting the nod for the round. Mayweather's performance against Canelo vs. BJ's is "night and day" imo.

I wasn't comparing BJ to MoneyMay per se. I was talking about the art of boxing. The 2 rounds I gave BJ were close rounds, Canelo won his rounds convincingly. In the 2 rounds I gave BJ, Canelo landed the harder blows, BJ landed the most punches.

You are asking a question that is unrelated to the fight in terms of what actually happened, but i will answer anyway. Depends on what you mean by "staggering blow." If you mean one fighter was dropped, that fighter loses the round imo unless they somehow hurt/drop the guy who dropped them earlier (i.e., Ruiz vs. Joshua 1).

If there were a time where one fighter landed 4% of the punches the other fighter landed, i would be hard-pressed to pick the guy who landed a single punch unless it involved a KD. In terms of the Canelo/BJ fight, that never happened. As a result, the only round i gave BJ was round 5.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Score Cards

Judging is suspect.

Which is fair?

You are asking a question that is unrelated to the fight in terms of what actually happened, but i will answer anyway. Depends on what you mean by "staggering blow." If you mean one fighter was dropped, that fighter loses the round imo unless they somehow hurt/drop the guy who dropped them earlier (i.e., Ruiz vs. Joshua 1).

If there were a time where one fighter landed 4% of the punches the other fighter landed, i would be hard-pressed to pick the guy who landed a single punch unless it involved a KD. In terms of the Canelo/BJ fight, that never happened. As a result, the only round i gave BJ was round 5.

A blow like Shane Mosley caught MoneyMay with. Mosley won that round though Floyd was landing the most punches. If Floyd had shaken it off and continued to land the most punches I would have given him the round, he didn't.

If a fighter is dropped it's a 10 8 round automatically even if the fighter who was knocked down was literally kicking the other fighter's ass that round.

The way you and I judge fights is the reason for so much controversy in the game. We have different criteria for judging the same event, so do judges.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The way you and I judge fights is the reason for so much controversy in the game. We have different criteria for judging the same event, so do judges.

Agreed, and i understand the point you are making here. For me, i tend to give more credit to "significant" punches over light taps or "scoring" punches. For instance, i believe Hagler beat SRL whereas many/most people believe SRL won.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Agreed, and i understand the point you are making here. For me, i tend to give more credit to "significant" punches over light taps or "scoring" punches. For instance, i believe Hagler beat SRL whereas many/most people believe SRL won.

I want to see Canelo vs Charlo and Spence vs Crawford.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yep, those are the fights to make. My picks are Charlo and Bud in each bout.
Would also like to see Joshua vs. Fury though i think Fury will win convincingly.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yep, those are the fights to make. My picks are Charlo and Bud in each bout.
Would also like to see Joshua vs. Fury though i think Fury will win convincingly.

I like Canelo and Bud. I chose Canelo because of his heart and he's a better boxer than he's given credit for. Jermall has the reach and height advantage. I just think Canelo would want it more.

He's gonna have to first get by Caleb Plant, 21 0 0 12 KOs 0 KOs another undefeated fighter. That may be more of a challenge than many think.

Fury's boxing skills are underrated. I think he can outbox and has the power to KO Joshua.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon May 10, 2021 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Man, Canelo got nobody left, not even Triple G (I mean I’d still watch it but not hyped like the previous ones), Andre Ward maybe? Like rocky V?

Guess unify the belts then, damn, move up
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Man, Canelo got nobody left, not even Triple G (I mean I’d still watch it but not hyped like the previous ones), Andre Ward maybe? Like rocky V?

Guess unify the belts then, damn, move up

Canelo is already out of room in regards to belts draped on his arms after the fight.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

weak as hell for Mayweather to be dodging a freaken amateur fighter in Jake Paul but instead will fight his clearly weaker boxer brother
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
weak as hell for Mayweather to be dodging a freaken amateur fighter in Jake Paul but instead will fight his clearly weaker boxer brother

Focus on this (MONEY MAYWEATHER) Floyd's doesn't GAD what people think about him. IMO he wants people to dislike him. That way they will keep paying to see him lose.

I'm interested in seeing how much he'll make off of his next debacle. As long as he keeps getting PAID he'll keep fighting tomato cans.

As of 2020, Floyd Mayweather's net worth is $450 million. Floyd is 5th highest-paid athlete of all time and one of just six athletes whose career earnings have topped $1 billion.

Wanna see him go away, don't buy his PPV.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Focus on this (MONEY MAYWEATHER) Floyd's doesn't GAD what people think about him. IMO he wants people to dislike him. That way they will keep paying to see him lose.

I'm interested in seeing how much he'll make off of his next debacle. As long as he keeps getting PAID he'll keep fighting tomato cans.

As of 2020, Floyd Mayweather's net worth is $450 million. Floyd is 5th highest-paid athlete of all time and one of just six athletes whose career earnings have topped $1 billion.

I want him to go away as in exit the ring for good because I am a big fan. I do not want him to risk tarnishing his legacy with these exhibitions that are clearly below him in my opinion. I know he can do what he wants, but there are a ton of people out there that are just salivating at the chance for him to slip so they can tear him down....and I do not understand why he is giving them the chance.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Focus on this (MONEY MAYWEATHER) Floyd doesn't GAD what people think about him. IMO he wants people to dislike him. That way they will keep paying to see him lose.

I want him to go away as in exit the ring for good because I am a big fan. I do not want him to risk tarnishing his legacy with these exhibitions that are clearly below him in my opinion. I know he can do what he wants, but there are a ton of people out there that are just salivating at the chance for him to slip so they can tear him down....and I do not understand why he is giving them the chance.

I'm with you, I'd like to see him stop fighting and start using his fortune to help Black communities ala LeBron James, Michael Jordan, e.g. Build a legacy that he can be proud of.

Floyd's not going to do that. He's a selfish SOB. This is something I didn't know and it saddens me.

LINK

Quote:
“I never got involved in the sport of boxing to say ‘I’m going to fight and make hundreds of millions of dollars and just give it all away.’ If I’m gonna mess money off in a bad way, I’m going to spend it on myself. I’m going to do what I want to do with my money. You hear people talking about, ‘well, he should…donate to this or donate to that.’ No, I should donate to Floyd Mayweather, donate to Floyd Mayweather’s family. Because that’s what it’s about.”

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject:

Devin Haney 6 0 0 15 KOs 0 KOs

Jorge Linares
47 6 0 29 KOs 5 KOs

I gave Linares 1 round in the first 9. Haney put on a boxing clinic. His jab was constantly landing with force.

In the 10th Jorge rocked Haney right at the bell. If there had been any time left I think he would have knocked Haney out. It took Devin the next 2 rounds to shake it off.

Haney won a unanimous decision.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun May 30, 2021 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

Spence vs. Pacquiao might be the last fight of Manny's career. Feel bad for him taking this fight, and i think he may be going senile, similar to Holyfield and Roy Jones.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Spence vs. Pacquiao might be the last fight of Manny's career. Feel bad for him taking this fight, and i think he may be going senile, similar to Holyfield and Roy Jones.

Pac never struck me as a fighter who couldn't leave the spotlight. I wonder if finances have anything to do with him continuing to fight?

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Pac never struck me as a fighter who couldn't leave the spotlight. I wonder if finances have anything to do with him continuing to fight?

I am not sure it has anything to do with being in the spotlight since he is already a Senator in the Philippines. If continuing to fight were strictly motivated by finances, he would be fighting YouTube (or UFC) stars like Mayweather instead of facing arguably the best fighter in the division (top 2 at worst after Bud). Manny just loves to fight (and challenge himself) imo, but he needs to stop before he accumulates too much damage.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

I am not sure it has anything to do with being in the spotlight since he is already a Senator in the Philippines. If continuing to fight were strictly motivated by finances, he would be fighting YouTube (or UFC) stars like Mayweather instead of facing arguably the best fighter in the division (top 2 at worst after Bud). Manny just loves to fight (and challenge himself) imo, but he needs to stop before he accumulates too much damage.

Man, love Manny but he old although I felt the same way before he beat Thurman, Spence is no joke tho. GOAT status if Manny pulls it off
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Man, love Manny but he old although I felt the same way before he beat Thurman, Spence is no joke tho. GOAT status if Manny pulls it off

Errol's 31 Manny's 42. He's not fighting just anybody, he's fighting the #1 or #2 of the division. I give Manny a better chance of beating Spence than I do of him beating Bud.

The fight I'd pay to see, Bud and Spence. Is either ducking the other?

I kinda agree with BadGuy, Manny may just love to fight but for his own good, he needs to quit.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

I agree. he may look good in the 1st/2nd rounds but IMO thats it. he will be bludgeoned.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Spence vs Pacquiao date Saturday, August 21, 2021

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Mayweather vs Paul Date: Sunday, June 6 Time: 8 p.m. ET Showtime PPV. I won't have to pay for the farce. My IPTV, Eminence, will have it. If it didn't no way I'd pay. I'll be looking to see how much money the fiasco makes for MONEY MAY? If I were a betting man I'd bet it makes a ton.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

Just posting a heads up. I have it free with Eminence. No way I'd buy it.

Mayweather has already been paid $30 million. I wonder how much more he'll make. Love him or hate him, he lives up to his nickname MONEY MAY

jodeke wrote:
Mayweather vs Paul Date: Sunday, June 6 Time: 8 p.m. ET Showtime PPV. I won't have to pay for the farce. My IPTV, Eminence, will have it. If it didn't no way I'd pay. I'll be looking to see how much money the fiasco makes for MONEY MAY? If I were a betting man I'd bet it makes a ton.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject:

I don’t follow boxing, but I really hope Floyd just destroys Paul in humiliating and extremely painful fashion. Paul is just a genuinely hideous guy and would deserve it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I don’t follow boxing, but I really hope Floyd just destroys Paul in humiliating and extremely painful fashion. Paul is just a genuinely hideous guy and would deserve it.

WOW!!!! That's a surprise. Why do you so disilike Paul?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 490, 491, 492 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 491 of 514
Jump to: