Squatters Take Over Multi Million $ Home, are Arrested, Then Police Watch Them remove Everything

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Squatters Take Over Multi Million $ Home, are Arrested, Then Police Watch Them remove Everything

Quote:
A multimillion-dollar home in Sammamish is at the center of an ongoing investigation, as squatters continue to break in and make the home their own.

“The amount of guns, drugs, etcetera that were confiscated out of that place are not for personal use or for any good reason,” Sammamish Police Chief Dan Pingrey said.

The homeowner lives overseas, but a few people living locally help maintain the home with routine checkups. One of those workers stopped by the home and found 12 guns, bulletproof vests, more than 15,000 fentanyl pills, heroin, meth, and more than $40,000 in cash.

As we were beginning to take a look at our next steps, an unlicensed motorcycle showed up with two people on it,” Pingrey said.

Neighbors identified the two people as the squatters and both were arrested for burglary, according to Pingrey. Both were out of jail within days and headed back to the home, bringing more people with them.

After they were out of jail, we had a large group trying to get back into the house,” Pingrey said. “No one was supposed to be there. The homeowners were not allowing anyone to stay there.”

Taking the advice of local prosecutors and lawyers, Pingrey said law enforcement is limited in what they can do. His frustrations hit a boiling point when the squatters demanded to be allowed to take property inside the home with them. Pingrey said, legally, his hands were tied and officers conducted a “civil standby.”

Pictures taken by a neighbor show police vehicles lined up on the street with officers watching, as the squatters filled a U-Haul truck with items inside. Another picture shows a garage full of appliances, including an ATM.

We were not allowed to go in there with them and had to allow them to take this property out,” Pingrey said. “The person who had been illegally living there (was able) to come in and get what they stated was their property.”

Somehow these squatters who are living in this residence have as much rights as the homeowner. And that’s very difficult for any of us to understand,” Pingrey said.

Squatters

Weapons, bullet proof vests, $40,000 cash & a garage full of appliances and an ATM machine? And the cops can't stop them? Can one of our resident lawyers please explain? Why wasn't everything held as evidence after the burglary?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Squatters Take Over Multi Million $ Home, are Arrested, Then Police Watch Them remove Everything

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
A multimillion-dollar home in Sammamish is at the center of an ongoing investigation, as squatters continue to break in and make the home their own.

“The amount of guns, drugs, etcetera that were confiscated out of that place are not for personal use or for any good reason,” Sammamish Police Chief Dan Pingrey said.

The homeowner lives overseas, but a few people living locally help maintain the home with routine checkups. One of those workers stopped by the home and found 12 guns, bulletproof vests, more than 15,000 fentanyl pills, heroin, meth, and more than $40,000 in cash.

As we were beginning to take a look at our next steps, an unlicensed motorcycle showed up with two people on it,” Pingrey said.

Neighbors identified the two people as the squatters and both were arrested for burglary, according to Pingrey. Both were out of jail within days and headed back to the home, bringing more people with them.

After they were out of jail, we had a large group trying to get back into the house,” Pingrey said. “No one was supposed to be there. The homeowners were not allowing anyone to stay there.”

Taking the advice of local prosecutors and lawyers, Pingrey said law enforcement is limited in what they can do. His frustrations hit a boiling point when the squatters demanded to be allowed to take property inside the home with them. Pingrey said, legally, his hands were tied and officers conducted a “civil standby.”

Pictures taken by a neighbor show police vehicles lined up on the street with officers watching, as the squatters filled a U-Haul truck with items inside. Another picture shows a garage full of appliances, including an ATM.

We were not allowed to go in there with them and had to allow them to take this property out,” Pingrey said. “The person who had been illegally living there (was able) to come in and get what they stated was their property.”

Somehow these squatters who are living in this residence have as much rights as the homeowner. And that’s very difficult for any of us to understand,” Pingrey said.

Squatters

Weapons, bullet proof vests, $40,000 cash & a garage full of appliances and an ATM machine? And the cops can't stop them? Can one of our resident lawyers please explain? Why wasn't everything held as evidence after the burglary?

who ever owns the property should be able to walk in, shoot them and say they threatened me.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Squatters Take Over Multi Million $ Home, are Arrested, Then Police Watch Them remove Everything

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Squatters

I do not know the answer, but from the little bit I did see today about it they claimed the drugs/weapons were not theirs (not in possession and not on their property)....and they had not actually stole anything. If the property owners return and claim things have been removed, and they are items the squatters were seen loading in the UHaul....then a warrant will be issued for the theft. Again, I was barely paying attention today while someone on television was trying to explain what could have possibly been the reasoning.

It sounds like total bs to me, but I am not an attorney.

Not related, but there was a guy that was in the news in CA a few months ago that sold his house to a couple, then refused to move out of it. I forgot all of the details, but the purchasers (new homeowners) were not allowed to disconnect the electricity or water because of emergency Covid rules. It lasted for months, and the guy that would not leave never left the property....sending out family members for food, etc., therefore the purchaser would be arrested if he entered the property while someone resided there. The couple was paying a mortgage and utilities for this a**hole for months. Finally, I think he left, and they had people watching 24/7 and immediately entered the property and claimed possession. The a**hole returned later and requested to move his property out of the house, and the police allowed him. If i recall, he had also did significant damage to the property after the sale closed also that the purchaser would now have to fix.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Squatters Take Over Multi Million $ Home, are Arrested, Then Police Watch Them remove Everything

adkindo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Squatters

I do not know the answer, but from the little bit I did see today about it they claimed the drugs/weapons were not theirs (not in possession and not on their property)....and they had not actually stole anything. If the property owners return and claim things have been removed, and they are items the squatters were seen loading in the UHaul....then a warrant will be issued for the theft. Again, I was barely paying attention today while someone on television was trying to explain what could have possibly been the reasoning.

Not related, but there was a guy that was in the news in CA a few months ago that sold his house to a couple, then refused to move out of it. I forgot all of the details, but the purchasers (new homeowners) were not allowed to disconnect the electricity or water because of emergency Covid rules. It lasted for months, and the guy that would not leave never left the property....sending out family members for food, etc., therefore the purchaser would be arrested if he entered the property while someone resided there. The couple was paying a mortgage and utilities for this a**hole for months. Finally, I think he left, and they had people watching 24/7 and immediately entered the property and claimed possession. The a**hole returned later and requested to move his property out of the house, and the police allowed him. If i recall, he had also did significant damage to the property after the sale closed also that the purchaser would now have to fix.

So where did you go next?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject:

Reminds me of that movie Pacific Heights (1990) w/ Michael Keaton, Matt Modine, and Melanie Griffiths. Similar storyline, but an apartment instead of a mansion.

Keaton RULES! BORN to be Batman. The others can't hold his cape.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Reminds me of that movie Pacific Heights (1990) w/ Michael Keaton, Matt Modine, and Melanie Griffiths. Similar storyline, but an apartment instead of a mansion.

I saw that movie, around the time it first hit home video . . . probably in 1991. Anyway, it's great, and I'm about to acquire it, via torrent.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject:

What was the purpose of this law? protecting squatters? makes no sense, maybe an umbrella law protecting illegal eviction?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Squatters Take Over Multi Million $ Home, are Arrested, Then Police Watch Them remove Everything

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Squatters

So where did you go next?

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I saw that movie, around the time it first hit home video . . . probably in 1991. Anyway, it's great, and I'm about to acquire it, via torrent.

Awesome. Glad I put the idea back into your dome. Love it too mostly because Keaton is a great BAD guy AND a great superhero at the same time! Johnybravo says Keaton's face was too fat for the Batman 89 mask.

Keaton and Modine = Batman and Joker, btw. Prolly not a joke unlost on the casting people.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: