Well, it comes down to DEN v POR
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Blazers will want this game much more than Nuggz. Blazers will take their chances of a legnthy seven game set without any single emlination drama.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Blazers will want this game much more than Nuggz. Blazers will take their chances of a legnthy seven game set without any single emlination drama.

It would be double elimination. The loser of 7 and 8 gets another chance to stay alive if they beat the winner of 9 and 10.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
If Clippers lose, doesn't matter what the Nuggets do so Clippers actually control the seeding for Clippers and Nuggets. One thing about the Clippers is that they don't necessarily like playing the Mavs because they know the Mavs can be very pesky. If they could play the blazers in the first round, they would do it.

Since Nuggets, Clippers, Blazers, and Lakers play at the same time today, it would be hard for any team to determine its playoff opponent until the games are over.

Nuggets don't have control over their seed but a loss guarantees they don't play the Lakers round one since they are playing the Blazers. They aren't going to leave it up to chance, they will tank
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
If Clippers lose, doesn't matter what the Nuggets do so Clippers actually control the seeding for Clippers and Nuggets. One thing about the Clippers is that they don't necessarily like playing the Mavs because they know the Mavs can be very pesky. If they could play the blazers in the first round, they would do it.

Since Nuggets, Clippers, Blazers, and Lakers play at the same time today, it would be hard for any team to determine its playoff opponent until the games are over.

Nuggets don't have control over their seed but a loss guarantees they don't play the Lakers round one since they are playing the Blazers. They aren't going to leave it up to chance, they will tank

I see. I guess the very likely outcome is Clippers vs Portland, Denver vs Mavs, Lakers vs Suns/Jazz. All good then. Was hoping Clippers would face Mavs in first round but all good.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
I see. I guess the very likely outcome is Clippers vs Portland, Denver vs Mavs, Lakers vs Suns/Jazz. All good then. Was hoping Clippers would face Mavs in first round but all good.

Unfortunately, the Blazers are like a first round bye for the Clippers. I wish it was Clippers/Mavs but we know that’s not happening.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
FantasyLabs NBA
@FantasyLabsNBA
Lineup note: Nuggets expected to limit minutes of key players Sunday, per @wojespn.

As expected
vcdplaya3002
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

There is one alternate route at least to get the mavs to knock the clippers out as the sixth seed. If we tank the pelicans game, blazers beat the nuggets, and Mavs lose to the wolves. The blazers would jump to five and Mavs fall to six in this scenario. This scenario also assumes clippers beat the thunder.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Quote:
FantasyLabs NBA
@FantasyLabsNBA
Lineup note: Nuggets expected to limit minutes of key players Sunday, per @wojespn.

As expected

Hehe, work hard all year for a top seed, and the reward is drawing the Lakers? Not particularly desirable.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Quote:
FantasyLabs NBA
@FantasyLabsNBA

As expected

When the outcome of a game is in the best interest of both teams involved, the final result is almost for certain. The Clippers could actually control who they play in the first round. If they lost to OKC, they would face the Mavs in the first round, which is something they surely want to avoid. I could see a blowout win for Clippers over OKC. Lakers game's outcome is irrelevant except for the starters to get more meaningless reps.
vcdplaya3002
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Quote:
FantasyLabs NBA
@FantasyLabsNBA

As expected

When the outcome of a game is in the best interest of both teams involved, the final result is almost for certain. The Clippers could actually control who they play in the first round. If they lost to OKC, they would face the Mavs in the first round, which is something they surely want to avoid. I could see a blowout win for Clippers over OKC. Lakers game's outcome is irrelevant except for the starters to get more meaningless reps.

Technically you are correct that the clippers can control their opponent. Assuming they win and Mavs and blazers win then yes they are going to get the blazers. I said earlier that in a weird scenario in which Dallas loses and Lakers weirdly tank their game, the clippers would draw Mavs.

If I’m the Lakers coaching staff and I see that Mavs are down big and denver down big also, I’d start a super tank to force clippers to play Mavs.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
markjay wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
I am trying to think how it goes.

But if the Clippers lost tomorrow, the Nuggets clutch 3rd place? Than it wouldn’t matter if they win tomorrow as far as seeding.

So i can see this scenario as the Clippers seem to ready be resting their players.

Clips are playing OKC, which is battling with several teams for a high draft pick. I don't see anyway that OKC wins this game tomorrow

I still do not believe coaches or GMs give prep talks around losing on purpose. It does not happen. I think GM's and coaches can manipulate as much as they can with the availability of players. But once they're on the court, they are playing to win. They don't give a ratz azz about extra lottery balls, so a new young buck can come and take their job.

Yeah I think it’s easy for people to fall into some conspiratorial theories that all of these teams are manipulating the bracket to avoid the Lakers or harm them but I don’t see it that way at all. These other teams are not as good as that line of thinking gives them credit for. They can all lose must-win games to each other even when they’re 100% trying to win.

If the top seeds like Utah, Phoenix, LAC etc had to play a one game playin against Memphis or San Antonio, an upset wouldn’t surprise me. I’d be completely shocked if the Lakers lost in that situation but I don’t think these other teams are that far ahead of their peers.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers don’t control jack. They couldn’t outtank OKC right now if they tried. Have y’all seen the dedication OKC put into getting into the top 3? They are losing tonight for sure.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
The Clippers don’t control jack. They couldn’t outtank OKC right now if they tried. Have y’all seen the dedication OKC put into getting into the top 3? They are losing tonight for sure.

This, I now think OKC will throw some buckets in their own basket to lose. What's the record for defensive rebounds turning into baskets?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

This, I now think OKC will throw some buckets in their own basket to lose. What's the record for defensive rebounds turning into baskets?

20 and 27 at one point, then they went 1 and 23. LOL! Shai and Horford hasn't played since March. They are bad. Have you seen their roster? I don't recognize the majority of the names. This is their starting line-up last game:

D. Bazley
A. Pokusevski
I. Roby
M. BrownC
T. Maledon

Who are these people? These guys are not tanking so they can get more lottery balls. These guys are just bad.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Looks like no matter what happens today, we won't face the Clippers in the first round. That helps.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject:

The question right now is.. do you wanna face the Warriors for the chance to play the Suns when Curry is going wild offensively or do you want want the Nuggets when they are playing well heading into the playoffs.. btw I think if we end up playing the Jazz as the 8th seed it will be a very tough series for us, the Jazz have the depth and bigs to give us problems.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

See what I mean? Scrubs don't tank. They couldn't careless about more lottery balls, so newcomers can come and take their jobs.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

I can’t believe OKC did that tanking for nothin.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

what's the logic in dodging the lakers in the first round? wouldn't a team want them now instead of giving them a chance to gel? unless they are "hoping" for an injury to the lakers in round 1?

i guess it's just a matter of a first round exist looks bad for the nuggets. get beat by the Lakers in the second round... at least the nugs got to the second round.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
what's the logic in dodging the lakers in the first round? wouldn't a team want them now instead of giving them a chance to gel? unless they are "hoping" for an injury to the lakers in round 1?

i guess it's just a matter of a first round exist looks bad for the nuggets. get beat by the Lakers in the second round... at least the nugs got to the second round.

I do think a lot of teams are banking on an injury.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Also a narrative thing.

If the Clippers lose to the Lakers in round 1, they will be ridiculed to no end and Kawhi potentially says he’s out. I think the Clippers fear getting bounced in the 1st round more than anything else. It’s actually pretty interesting because I still believe their best shot to beat the Lakers would be in round 1, with our lack of continuity and little time together.

Denver can say they won a series without their second superstar at least and less pressure as a 2nd round exit especially if they are able to really push the Lakers.

However, I do think Portland got lucky. Clippers would smoke them, but against the Nuggets Dame and CJ will be a matchup problem for Denver particularly if they put Jokic in the PnR. They already beat them in 2019 and Denver had Gary Harris who at a minimum can defend. That Campazo dude is going to get eaten alive and Barton doesn’t know what defense is...
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

Basically, as vulnerable the lakers will look in the 1st round it's still a gamble and the Denver and clips would rather hedge their bets elsewhere.

Clips in particularly are cowardly, you'd think with all the energy they been rolling with they would try to take us down when we are at our weakest (1st round)

If I'm the lakers I would be delighted and use this as a mental edge against these cowards.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Also a narrative thing.

If the Clippers lose to the Lakers in round 1, they will be ridiculed to no end and Kawhi potentially says he’s out. I think the Clippers fear getting bounced in the 1st round more than anything else. It’s actually pretty interesting because I still believe their best shot to beat the Lakers would be in round 1, with our lack of continuity and little time together.

Denver can say they won a series without their second superstar at least and less pressure as a 2nd round exit especially if they are able to really push the Lakers.

However, I do think Portland got lucky. Clippers would smoke them, but against the Nuggets Dame and CJ will be a matchup problem for Denver particularly if they put Jokic in the PnR. They already beat them in 2019 and Denver had Gary Harris who at a minimum can defend. That Campazo dude is going to get eaten alive and Barton doesn’t know what defense is...

Yup, Balmer is probably scared to all hell losing to the Lakers of all teams in the 1st round when his brand new stadium is around the corner. It would make last year's ridicule look like child's play.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Are we sure having to beat Golden St in one home game to be able to play Phoenix isn't a better outcome than playing Denver in round 1? Denver has a much bigger home court advantage and Jokic is better than anyone on the Suns.

You could also make the case that one more meaningful game could help focus the Lakers and give them some much needed reps.

I've been saying for the last few weeks that the play-in and a warm-up series vs PHX was the Lakers best course.

Denver is my second choice, so the Clips tank job yesterday was huge.

Either way, I'm not worried. PHX and Denver are the best opponents the Lakers could hope for in rd 1.

Hoping the Clips can out-tank OKC and lock in 4th seed, as I'd like to wait until WCF to see them.

Posted the above on Saturday. Couldn’t have worked out any better!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: