Jerry West Offended by Jeanie Buss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject:

I get adding shaq but IMO pj is more valuable. IMHO of course
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

Lakers signing Shaq is equivalent to Heat signing Bron (Warriors KD too maybe but they were already a championship contender without)
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
Putting Lebron in that list is just ridicolous.

I agree but his signing brought us back from a decade of ...

But like the lyrics say, "It takes two to make a thing go right." Lebron was huge, but it also took AD. And Vogel instead of Luke.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie was only here during the Showtime era and beyond of course she can only list the greats that she saw....not surprised West didn't make the list, not to mention he didn't win multiple championships no matter how close he got.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject:

I think important and greatest are different. I thought she was asked important
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Jerry lost the right to complain when he signed on to be a Clipper
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:

Good thing he's not complaining. I don't agree with your sentiments, by the way.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject:

I’m offended that Jerry West called the Lakers a (bleep) hole franchise.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
BlueNGold wrote:

Good thing he's not complaining. I don't agree with your sentiments, by the way.

JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Jerry West should be the 1 person that isn't on any Top 5 list pertaining to most important Laker of all time. (Him and Kobe). It's one of the most disrespectful things to me and I could understand why he feels insulted.

Chick is #1 ... he kept them in the limelight in the early days
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Jerry West should be the 1 person that isn't on any Top 5 list pertaining to most important Laker of all time. (Him and Kobe). It's one of the most disrespectful things to me and I could understand why he feels insulted.

I remember Chick doing Bowling For Dollars.

Mercy, I'm old.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West is a top five Laker and it’s an unaware or homeristc opinion to think otherwise. He contributed exceptionally as a player with a championship on the court with multiple appearances and then contributed exceptionally off the court with several appearances and championships as an executive.

West’s contributions on and off the court over several decades places him as arguably THE MOST influential Laker of all time not just top five. Kareem, Kobe, Magic, and Lebron contributions were primarily on the court and Phil’s were primarily off the court whereas West significantly contributed to more championships than any of the others.

Leaving West off was perhaps an oversight, maybe vindictive due to bad blood, could even have been political because Phil’s personal relationship with Jen... and Lebron is a current Laker. Maybe West over reacted or not but make no mistake about it... Leaving the person that contributed the most off the list and have other fans defend it is unsettling.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

I remember Chick doing Bowling For Dollars.

Mercy, I'm old.

Brooklyn! Brooklyn!
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Jeanie was only here during the Showtime era and beyond of course she can only list the greats that she saw....not surprised West didn't make the list, not to mention he didn't win multiple championships no matter how close he got.

Don't forget that Jeanie has all of the insider information provided to her by her dad and others employed by the team prior to Dr. Buss taking ownership. Jeanie knows more than any of us about West both personally and professionally. If she left West out intentionally, there are probably very good reasons for it that go beyond the gender minimizing trope "my boyfriend was Phil Jackson and he was mean to Phil." She's far from an airhead.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I get adding shaq but IMO pj is more valuable. IMHO of course

Agreed. We had the ultra talented and young LakeShow era personnel with Del Harris coaching and didn't win boo. Phil was the difference maker.
wongst288
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject:

The only reason Jerry West is complaining about this is not that he was left on but who was put in.. If Jeannie had another list, say:

Kobe, Magic, Kareem, Pat Riley, Shaq

He would not say a word. The fact that she included Phil Jackson.. That is the real reason why this list has him throwing his hissy fit... There is that story about how Jerry West liked to visit the Laker locker room before games.. Phil Jackson told him no.. He said he wanted to discuss things privately with the people that would be on the floor and not include any management.. After the Lakers won during that first year with Phil, he left.. In his autobiography he even said that he thought Phil had not respect for him... Jerry West did not even want to hire Phil Jackson in the first place.

That is the real reason why he is soo upset about her list.. Include anyone else and he would have been fine. He seems like a pretty humble guy.. BUT she included Phil...
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject:

After Jerry called the Lakers a s-hole franchise he should just stay quiet now. Crying about this just makes him look bad.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject:

Jeannie and anybody else here disrespecting jerry west just doesn't't deserve him and the rings he greatly contributed to bring to the lakers, that are way more than the one brought by Lebron.
The first part is just my opinion, the last is a fact.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject:

Jerry is way too old to be this petty and bothered over something so benign. But we all know it's not about some stupid list. I'm surprised he's still so angry. I would've thought he'd have figured out a way to make peace with himself after all these years. At the very least, don't give your enemies the satisfaction of seeing you still pressed. I'm sure Phil (who is quite petty himself) is having a good chuckle over this nonsense.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Jerry is way too old to be this petty and bothered over something so benign. But we all know it's not about some stupid list. I'm surprised he's still so angry. I would've thought he'd have figured out a way to make peace with himself after all these years. At the very least, don't give your enemies the satisfaction of seeing you still pressed. I'm sure Phil (who is quite petty himself) is having a good chuckle over this nonsense.

It doesn't seem like Jerry has made peace or found happiness in these specific, professional aspects of his life. Coming in second place so often had to have taken its toll.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

In reading a lot of these posts I see that "Respect your elders" is something people in this country have gotten away from. After every single loss you can log on here and read through complaint after complaint, from the coach to the referees...yet Jerry West, a guy that was associated with the Lakers for 40 years, is not entitled to be upset with not being appreciated for what he's done for the organization. He absolutely should be on that list, ahead of Shaq, because without Jerry we might not have gotten him or Kobe. I've said before that we shouldn't make too much out of that list, because Jeannie probably only put lebron on there to prevent him from pouting, but if Jerry is upset about it, I think he has a right to be.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
In reading a lot of these posts I see that "Respect your elders" is something people in this country have gotten away from. After every single loss you can log on here and read through complaint after complaint, from the coach to the referees...yet Jerry West, a guy that was associated with the Lakers for 40 years, is not entitled to be upset with not being appreciated for what he's done for the organization. He absolutely should be on that list, ahead of Shaq, because without Jerry we might not have gotten him or Kobe. I've said before that we shouldn't make too much out of that list, because Jeannie probably only put lebron on there to prevent him from pouting, but if Jerry is upset about it, I think he has a right to be.

Why?? Why does Jeanie's random list (WHICH MEANS NOTHING) matter when you're the fricking LOGO of the league (WHICH ACTUALLY MEANS SOMETHING). Jeanie's list takes away nothing from what Jerry has accomplished...NOTHING. Jerry West should be encouraged to relish in his achievements, not toil in his insecurities and petty beefs.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

It's her personal top 5 list, I find it hilarious and sad that he was so offended and angry about her personal opinion. Unfortunately, we saw an ugly side of him that he normally doesn't display to the general public, so I guess all those people that were talking about the 2 sides of Jerry West were correct.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Buss got us Shaq and Kobe and almost got us T-Mac in combination with them.

He deserves to be up there.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
yet Jerry West, a guy that was associated with the Lakers for 40 years, is not entitled to be upset with not being appreciated for what he's done for the organization.

Totally. I mean, we retired his jersey and built a (bleep) statue of him outside the arena but maybe one day we’ll get around to appreciating Jerry West.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: