DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject:

So funny now people just automatically assume Dennis single handedly kept us afloat like there weren‘t other guys playing those games too. Smh…
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
So funny now people just automatically assume Dennis single handedly kept us afloat like there weren‘t other guys playing those games too. Smh…

Pull up some numbers then.

Of course no one is saying Dennis is the sole reason. I put up a post of the team's stats during LBJ/AD's absence over 15 ish games and gave credit to a team effort in keeping this thing afloat. Some did well, others did not.

http://lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=191053

Dennis: 16.4ppg/7.4apg/3.2rpg/42.9% from 3/3.2 turnovers
Kuz: 15.2ppg/2.7apg/5.9rpg/31.2 from 3/2.3 turnovers
Trezz: 13.8ppg/1.0apg/7.3rpg/0% from 3/1.3 turnovers
KCP: 10.1ppg/2.3apg/3.3rpg/41.5% from 3/1.3 turnovers
THT: 11.1ppg/3.5apg/3.1rpg/27.8 from 3/2.1 turnovers
Kieff: 12ppg/1.4apg/6.1rpg/37.1% from 3/1.5 turnovers
AC: 6.7ppg/3.1apg/3.2rpg/45.5% from 3/1.7 turnovers
Wes: 6.1ppg/0.9apg/2.1rpg/30.2% from 3/0.3 turnovers
Drummond: 9.2ppg/1.2apg/9.2rpg/0% from 3/3 turnovers
Marc: 7.6ppg/2.6apg/3.9rpg/46.2% from 3/2.3 turnovers
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I applaud you yinoma, out there trying to show the obvious but some just simply don't want to see/believe the obvious even if it's slapping them in the face over and over. Kind of silly to even think Dennis needs to prove anything to start over THT when he comes back. I'd be shocked if there's a single person in the entire Lakers organization where that thought even remotely crossed there mind.

Dennis is far from a perfect but he's clearly the third best player by a decent margin and if anything you'd think all fans would be excited to have him back after seeing how horrible our playmaking has been for the most part the last week or two. He's also a pretty large upgrade over THT on the defensive end which will be absolutely vital just like it was last year at the guard position.

I also do not think anyone believes Dennis single handedly did anything but he was clearly the leader and main reason we stayed afloat for that last while without Bron and AD before he went into Covid protocols. I would never want him as my main or even second option full time but for this unique situation he stepped up and did a solid job keeping us afloat just enough.

No reason to go to either extremes. He's not a superstar but he's also not a bad player. He's a bit above your average good role player. Let's see how he performs in the Playoffs at least before we write him off...
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Not surprised he did so well with LBJ and AD out. DS doing his own thing on offense is why I imagined he'd be a 6th man for us when we signed him.

And kudos to him for not only shooting above 40% from 3 during that stretch but also having a greater than 2:1 AST/TO ratio.

My concern with him has always been what will he look like when he doesn't get to dominate the rock. Can he catch and shoot 3s when Bron is running point play after play? Can he set up AD for easy buckets as a secondary playmaker? And will he be strong enough physically to guard multiple positions down the stretch of games?

Last edited by kikanga on Fri May 14, 2021 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Those numbers listed above is pre April 17. Since then he shot 29% from 3. Not the biggest sample size but just shows how consistently inconsistent he is.

Here is a stat to ponder

FG%

games less than 20% - 1
games less than 30% - 8
games less than 40% - 16

So Dennis has shot less than 40% in 25 out of his 59 games played. That is 42% of his games. Pretty deflating stat for your supposedly number 3 option.

If his offensive usage was less or if he made it up being a passing savant or 3pt marksmen that is acceptable but he is neither.

Check his +/- from game to game. Good Dennis bad Dennis is the general pattern. How do you rely on this type of player come playoffs?

Another poster had mentioned that Dennis would be the worst PG of any playoff team. Don't necessarily agree but I would put him bottom 3.

Hopefully he turns into Playoff Dennis Rondo but conversely he could cost the Lakers 2-5 games with his inconsistent play.

Last year playoffs vs. Houston

13/45 from 3 for 29%
44/109 overall FG% for 40%

Btw why use counting stats to prove how a player is performing? When you are the primary ball handler/initiator who looks for his shot you should put up decent counting stats. Once AC and THT were given these responsibilities and settled into the position they put up comparable numbers. With all the analytics out there that gives meaning to the basic numbers why not list those?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, those are all great and valid questions for sure. I'd have extreme faith in him being a better secondary playmaker if he had a bit more time to get that chemistry flowing with Bron and the Double D's especially. We saw how much better he became as the primary playmaker when given a little time as in the beginning it was very rough to watch at times. He went on to improve drastically and become solid but we obviously don't have the luxury of much on court time to iron things out.

The one thing I will say which will help him a lot and I was even saying in the beginning of the season is having played with CP3 and being the at times secondary playmaker in lineups with him looking very good. As far as catching and shooting 3's, that was a huge reason he shot a career high last season was CP3 hitting him in his spots and he excelled at it. The counter argument can also say it was only one season though so it's still a pretty big question mark. I fully believe he's at worst an average 3 point shooter though as even during his early season struggles the shot rarely looked bad out of his hands when he took them.

The defense part is a good question too, you know his effort and tenacity will be there all 48 but we'll find out. The great thing is he will have an extremely elite front court having his back at all times as long as he even somewhat holds his ground against the bigger guards or any other switches.

The biggest thing of all though is I trust him far and away the most after Lebron as far as playmaker/taking care of the ball. I could potentially see THT narrow this gap but he's still not quite ready just yet.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

^I'm optimistic about Schroder going into the playoffs too Hype. I don't think he'll shrink in high pressure moments. He seems extremely confident in himself. And you can't understate how important that is come playoff time. There's no room for self doubt.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
^I'm optimistic about Schroder going into the playoffs too Hype. I don't think he'll shrink in high pressure moments. He seems extremely confident in himself. And you can't understate how important that is come playoff time. There's no room for self doubt.

Yup. Take a listen to the most recent LFR podcast. They go into Dennis and how Pete and company really appreciate his competitiveness and what Pete was his “sense of urgency.”
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Not surprised he did so well with LBJ and AD out. DS doing his own thing on offense is why I imagined he'd be a 6th man for us when we signed him.

And kudos to him for not only shooting above 40% from 3 during that stretch but also having a greater than 2:1 AST/TO ratio.

My concern with him has always been what will he look like when he doesn't get to dominate the rock. Can he catch and shoot 3s when Bron is running point play after play? Can he set up AD for easy buckets as a secondary playmaker? And will he be strong enough physically to guard multiple positions down the stretch of games?

Bro, it’s like I am trying to say this and you already spit out. His 3 ball is definitely encouraging but there are more questions than answer with him when it matters and I don’t think Vogel will be lenient comes playoff. We pretty much conceded our end on trying to keep him so it’s his time to prove it.

And yes, He should have been playing off the bench because that was the best suited role for him in this team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Bro, it’s like I am trying to say this and you already spit out. His 3 ball is definitely encouraging but there are more questions than answer with him when it matters and I don’t think Vogel will be lenient comes playoff. We pretty much conceded our end on trying to keep him so it’s his time to prove it.

And yes, He should have been playing off the bench because that was the best suited role for him in this team.

But by this logic then THT would never play bc of his 3 ball and defense. Dennis is the best of both worlds when you think of THT/AC. Both are more inclined to be one way players (THT-offense, AC-defense). Dennis is a bit of both. Plus, I think our goal is to matchup hunt with LBJ/AD/Dennis. We saw a bit of how Dennis can get switched with a big and he just takes them off the dribble. I’m actually very eager to see Dennis in the playoffs.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

Schroeder is easily our 3rd best and most important player, and it’s not even close. This is a factual position on the player.

If you are not able to comprehend that, you may wish to consider that your feelings towards the player are more so personal or founded on emotion. Perhaps someone from your past named Dennis stole your lunch money when you were a child?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:
Schroeder is easily our 3rd best and most important player, and it’s not even close. This is a factual position on the player.

If you are not able to comprehend that, you may wish to consider that your feelings towards the player are more so personal or founded on emotion. Perhaps someone from your past named Dennis stole your lunch money when you were a child?
wtf
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Killer_Z wrote:

wtf

Let’s let the whole contract situation work itself out in the offseason. As a Lakers fan let’s all root for him and the rest of the team to ball out and defend the championship.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
kikanga wrote:

But by this logic then THT would never play bc of his 3 ball and defense. Dennis is the best of both worlds when you think of THT/AC. Both are more inclined to be one way players (THT-offense, AC-defense). Dennis is a bit of both. Plus, I think our goal is to matchup hunt with LBJ/AD/Dennis. We saw a bit of how Dennis can get switched with a big and he just takes them off the dribble. I’m actually very eager to see Dennis in the playoffs.

After AD and Lebron, everyone is a role player in this this team. The logic is simply fit them into the puzzle individually around AD and Lebron and Schroder is better with the ball than playing off ball. This is not about who is better individually, this is more of how can we maximize Lebron and AD abilities because ultimately, that’s how we are going to win it. In the playoff , its gonna be Lebron ball and AD as a target and everyone has to play their role .
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Whether he starts or not probably doesn't matter as much as a I think. If it's not working in a series. Vogel will change it. Same goes for anybody else on our team not named LBJ and Brow. Vogel showed us that last playoffs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Whether he starts or not probably doesn't matter as much as a I think. If it's not working in a series. Vogel will change it. Same goes for anybody else on our team not named LBJ and Brow. Vogel showed us that last playoffs.

This is true. One thing Vogel likes is defense. So that’s a good thing for Dennis.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject:

Overrated.

Some team is going to overpay for this fool and be stuck with an untradeable contract.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Regardless of what people think of him we are elite with him when fully healthy and is the primary reason we are in the playoffs.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm a little confused about these comments from Dennis

Schroder said he did not test positive for COVID-19 and revealed that he is the only player on the Lakers' roster to have not received the coronavirus vaccine.

However, he also said that, after going through his second mandatory quarantine of the season (the first was because of contact tracing), he would not have to go through that again.

"At least I can't get it no more in the playoffs," he said. "So that's probably the best thing."

How is it that he he won't have to go through this again if he isn't vaccinated and hasn't had the virus?
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

I've been one of the most staunch supporters of Schro on this forum all year, but tonight is the night that he needs to show all of Laker Nation why we should pony up to bring him back next year.

He's got to bring the heavy heat and absolutely smother Steph along with AC, KCP and Wes.

No excuses ....... show us what you're made of DS!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:

This not winning, flawed player did his best to lose this game for the Lakers. He really doesn’t want to play in LA.

James saved Vogel with that 3.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Terrible game. Hopefully he picks it up for the series that are ahead.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

How do you say get ****Ed in German?
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

overrated, not worth his asking price. getting sub'd out for caruso............
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Worst game as a Laker. He was awful at both ends. Thank goodness for Wes and AC.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 140 of 284
Jump to: