RV camping in Yellowstone, weather to expect in June

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: RV camping in Yellowstone, weather to expect in June

Hey there wondering if anybody has experience with this. My wife and I are renting a campervan and spending 2 nights at Grant Campground. Since there's no hookups there we have to be more mindful of the weather especially with our dogs, one of whom has very limited mobility. Since it's the summer we're definitely more concerned about overheating during the day but I also heard that it generally stays below 70/75 even on the hottest days in June. We also have to be mindful that an enclosed vehicle, even with fans running and windows vented, can run at least 10-20 degrees above the outside temp.

If it comes down to it we could just drive around in the van and enjoy the sights if it gets too hot. But we also wouldn't mind some freedom to enjoy 30-60 minute hikes without the dogs. Can anybody tell me what weather they've experienced at Yellowstone in late June? I also heard it depends significantly on the elevation so if anybody has specifically stayed at Grant Campground that would also be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RV camping in Yellowstone, weather to expect in June

gng930 wrote:
Hey there wondering if anybody has experience with this. My wife and I are renting a campervan and spending 2 nights at Grant Campground. Since there's no hookups there we have to be more mindful of the weather especially with our dogs, one of whom has very limited mobility. Since it's the summer we're definitely more concerned about overheating during the day but I also heard that it generally stays below 70/75 even on the hottest days in June. We also have to be mindful that an enclosed vehicle, even with fans running and windows vented, can run at least 10-20 degrees above the outside temp.

If it comes down to it we could just drive around in the van and enjoy the sights if it gets too hot. But we also wouldn't mind some freedom to enjoy 30-60 minute hikes without the dogs. Can anybody tell me what weather they've experienced at Yellowstone in late June? I also heard it depends significantly on the elevation so if anybody has specifically stayed at Grant Campground that would also be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

My wife and I brought our dog and towed a camper up to yellowstone in August of last year...I know that change of a month can be huge but up in Montana specifically it was very pleasant weather, while just out of us from Utah to L.A. there was a heatwave that we had to drive through that was brutal!
I will say though, after doing it, that Yellowstone is no place for a dog- too much worrying about leaving it in the car when you want to go look at Geysers, at least for our water loving Lab...I'd say get a dog sitter/doggy daycare if you can.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Just an FYI, because of the pet restrictions, there are heaps of doggie daycare and boarding facilities in the area. Because of all the competition, service is top notch. It'll take care of the nagging concerns in your head whilst you are off on a hike.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the input. Problem is that one of the dogs has severe mobility issues and basically is limited to crawling. We are trying to get him used to a wheelchair but even then it would be too much for any daycare/boarding to handle. Like I said, we're perfectly content just driving around in the campervan and to enjoy the sights within the full comfort of air conditioning. We just need to get out LOL.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject:

The weather in the region is unpredictable. You’re out of the shoulder season but you could get 90 degrees or you could get snow. Both have happened. The likelihood is mildly warm days and cool to cold nights. But it is variable.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The weather in the region is unpredictable. You’re out of the shoulder season but you could get 90 degrees or you could get snow. Both have happened. The likelihood is mildly warm days and cool to cold nights. But it is variable.

Snow even in June!?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Snow even in June!?

They’ve had snow in August. Rare but in that altitude and area not out of the question.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: