MARC GASOL Thread - Collecting DNP’s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePageDude
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
I thought he struggled in rim protection but that was my only beef.

He has been much better in that area for a while now.

That's correct in one way, but not entirely correct. By that I mean Vogel's defensive scheme was different with Gasol - the design was to NOT meet the attack at the rim (since Gasol is NOT McGee/Howard - he doesn't shot-block and does not erase defensive mistakes). What Gasol can do instead is to play superior positional/team defense so the attacker does not get to the basket as often as they would against average inferior defense.
Now, you may think this is all hooey, but then just take a look at the percentage of time the offense was successful in getting a basket - which is really what matters. (This is what defensive metrics are based on that ranked the Lakers #1). And those say that the Lakers starting lineup (with Gasol) was high up there in defense - it allowed fewer points overall than most (if not all) other lineups. And I'm talking about the first 30 games, not just the recent ones. And I agree with you, Gasol has been even better in the recent games - call it health, familiarity, motivation, or whatever.

I realize what the numbers said, but just watching the games there is a noticeable difference in Marc’s defensive game since that stretch right before he got COVID.

Analytics is fine, but just combining it with the game tape...Marc is a lot better imo. It’s not easy to score on him like it was. Before he would have to rely on quick hands at the last minute to strip the player going up but now he’s able to challenge more than just a prayer that he strips the ball.

And of course from an offensive perspective, he got off to a bad start from 3, but ever since around that @Minnesota game, he’s been knocking them down pretty good.

Sure, I'm on board with this - he's better now.
Let me put it this way, at the start of the season he was a net-plus, but by no means playing well, just adequately. Now he's playing well.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Sure, I'm on board with this - he's better now.
Let me put it this way, at the start of the season he was a net-plus, but by no means playing well, just adequately. Now he's playing well.

That’s fair 👍
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

Gasol needs to start plain and simple. I think his play making can help the team get out to better starts.

Drummond needs to play pick n' roll with Lebron or Dennis when AD is getting a breather.

Closing lineup I actually prefer AD slide to the 5 with Trez at the 4.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Gasol needs to start plain and simple. I think his play making can help the team get out to better starts.

Drummond needs to play pick n' roll with Lebron or Dennis when AD is getting a breather.

Closing lineup I actually prefer AD slide to the 5 with Trez at the 4.

Closing big gotta be able to stretch so AD has room to drive, Kuz/Kief-Bron-AD or KCP-Bron-AD with DS-AC
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52
Page 52 of 52
Jump to: