Avoid Playoffs Play-In Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
kwase wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Doncic 31 points 20 assists 12 boards wow

Yeah I just looked at the box score. He's easily the MVP this year.

CP3 and Embiid have a shot

Julius Randle has to get some love too.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject:

Eh. I see a lot of frustration mixed with panic. The only thing that worries me is the health of Lebron and Davis. We have eight more games to get them back into the flow and playing at an elite level. If that happens, the title run is on.

I do have a certain amount of concern about hitting the Clippers in the first round. My concern is not the Clippers per se, but rather that the matchup would be apocalyptic for those of you who live in the LA area. If we go into that series unhealthy and somehow manage to lose, it would be unthinkable.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
It wasn’t .500 though. They were 7-12 or whatever it was.

That’s just not good enough and it could have been worse if other teams didn’t have is ton of injuries themselves.

Over the past 2 seasons, the Clippers have done pretty well when missing Kawhi and PG.

You are right that it is LBJ/AD centric team, but that doesn’t change the fact that this particular supporting cast has underperformed and demonstrated over dependence on particularly Lebron.

No, your examples are flawed. There was NO stretch that Kawhi/PG were out 20+ games consecutively. Not even close. If that happened to the Clips this year they would be giving up a top 10 pick to OKC.

Agree to disagree. When I watch some of these games, the Clippers still look like a professional team.

The Lakers struggle mightily and win some games against really bad teams or teams with G League rosters due to injury. There have been some bad losses. If it was last year’s limited roster, I understand. However, this roster has not performed to capabilities.

They said so themselves that it’s a deep team.

The Clippers and Bucks had a huge advantage 3-10 on the Lakers last season. Not the case this season.

Have to agree with Yinoma on this one. Lakers are almost completely reliant on James and to some extent Davis playing on a MVP level to be successful.

When watching those other teams do you notice how they tend to run a system? All the players 1-15 play it. Not the Lakers. They rely on James or Davis to isolate and create. All the roster is there to support this system.

And let’s not overlook the losses to those “G League rosters” throughout the season, including before and after James returned from injury.

The players and I’m assuming coaches do not play with any sense of consistent energy, urgency or structure. Too many TOs , slow def rotations, poor shot selection, lapses in concentration and effort all season long.

It is the team DNA for this season. The extended injuries to both Davis and James just exposed this mentality even more.

It is a veteran team. I hope they can get their collective heads right and turn it around. But this is deeper then “just the injuries “. Lakers have problems consistently matching intensity and effort from whoever is on the court. Will they fix it in the next 8 games? We will find out.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
It wasn’t .500 though. They were 7-12 or whatever it was.

That’s just not good enough and it could have been worse if other teams didn’t have is ton of injuries themselves.

Over the past 2 seasons, the Clippers have done pretty well when missing Kawhi and PG.

You are right that it is LBJ/AD centric team, but that doesn’t change the fact that this particular supporting cast has underperformed and demonstrated over dependence on particularly Lebron.

No, your examples are flawed. There was NO stretch that Kawhi/PG were out 20+ games consecutively. Not even close. If that happened to the Clips this year they would be giving up a top 10 pick to OKC.

Agree to disagree. When I watch some of these games, the Clippers still look like a professional team.

The Lakers struggle mightily and win some games against really bad teams or teams with G League rosters due to injury. There have been some bad losses. If it was last year’s limited roster, I understand. However, this roster has not performed to capabilities.

They said so themselves that it’s a deep team.

The Clippers and Bucks had a huge advantage 3-10 on the Lakers last season. Not the case this season.

Have to agree with Yinoma on this one. Lakers are almost completely reliant on James and to some extent Davis playing on a MVP level to be successful.

When watching those other teams do you notice how they tend to run a system? All the players 1-15 play it. Not the Lakers. They rely on James or Davis to isolate and create. All the roster is there to support this system.

And let’s not overlook the losses to those “G League rosters” throughout the season, including before and after James returned from injury.

The players and I’m assuming coaches do not play with any sense of consistent energy, urgency or structure. Too many TOs , slow def rotations, poor shot selection, lapses in concentration and effort all season long.

It is the team DNA for this season. The extended injuries to both Davis and James just exposed this mentality even more.

It is a veteran team. I hope they can get their collective heads right and turn it around. But this is deeper then “just the injuries “. Lakers have problems consistently matching intensity and effort from whoever is on the court. Will they fix it in the next 8 games? We will find out.

That’s fine and for me the (over) reliance on 2 stars is a separate argument from the underperforming roster. Just some bad losses given the depth. Particularly when players (bleep) about playing time during season.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject:

just rest lebron, and just play in the play-in
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject:

It's funny, because if this were some other Lakers teams...Think shaq/kobe, maybe even kobe/gasol, If we had injuries, I would laugh at the prospect of a "play in" game. We would destroy the other team by 40 points - Just imagine a 9th/10th seed, knowing they had to play a 2000-2003 lakers. They'd have known they were about to get their ass kicked.

This team, I'm not so sure - they honestly just don't look that good. Other teams routinely shoot better from us from three, and just generally seem to be able to get whatever they want on offense. There's no switch here - Ultimately, It'll take a healthy Lebron, better playing AD...and just general good shooting from our players from three.
vcdplaya3002
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Lakers got a gift and have a free game essentially tonight against Denver.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Let's assume a worst case scenario, from a W-L perspective. We lose our last 8. We end up in the 10th spot. In the process, we rest Lebron on all the remaining 2nd nights of back to backs. We get AD1 right, meaning functioning at a high level. (if that happens we will not lose the last 8, but let's still say we do)

In that case we will need to beat say the Spurs and then the loser of Grizz/GSW in the other playin. IF, and it is a big if, Lebron and AD1 are healthy and playing well, I think we win those two games. With current standings, we then play PHO in Rd 1. I am fine playing them in Rd 1. Also, on the bright side, we end up with the 16th/17th pick in a deep draft. So, things might work out...
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
Let's assume a worst case scenario, from a W-L perspective. We lose our last 8. We end up in the 10th spot. In the process, we rest Lebron on all the remaining 2nd nights of back to backs. We get AD1 right, meaning functioning at a high level. (if that happens we will not lose the last 8, but let's still say we do)

In that case we will need to beat say the Spurs and then the loser of Grizz/GSW in the other playin. IF, and it is a big if, Lebron and AD1 are healthy and playing well, I think we win those two games. With current standings, we then play PHO in Rd 1. I am fine playing them in Rd 1. Also, on the bright side, we end up with the 16th/17th pick in a deep draft. So, things might work out...

This is a positive way to look at it too. Got to be honest though, I know the general sentiment is we are going to be a monster low seed, but upsets in the early rounds of a playoffs are not common. Phoenix are playing really well and they do have moderate star power with CP3.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:

Hard to get excited about a pick in the draft. Likely gets traded for another quick fix player. Similar to Schroder last off-season.

Also not as confident the struggling Lakers easily win the play in. Which team shows up? How focused and ready for playoff intensity will they be? Denver game was beautiful in how they battled. Two nights earlier they had no intensity on a night that emotion should not have to be manufactured.

Lakers treading water and dropping to the 9th / 10 th seed and having to win multple games against teams with nothing to lose is a nightmare. Especially if somehow needing two against a Warrior team with Curry potentially going off or a Spurs or Grizz team ready to run and gun?

Also you are overlooking the rest factor. Lakers need those days off before any potential series more then any team. A tired Laker team going against a well rested Suns or Jazz team is not a good matchup.

Lakers might not have a choice in this. They look to be limping across the finish line and barely holding ground. Maybe they somehow “ get healthy “ and find the proverbial switch? Crazier things have happened.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Clippers tanking to play us in 1st round?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:

They're scared and just trying to avoid Denver.
Jokes aside, alot is riding on Ibaka in terms of the Clips this playoffs.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

If all the top 4 seeds. Nuggets are the easiest. Nuggets are worst than last year and murray played unbelievable in playoffs.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
kikanga wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

If all the top 4 seeds. Nuggets are the easiest. Nuggets are worst than last year and murray played unbelievable in playoffs.

its match ups. Nuggs dont match up with us. Nuggs match up well with clipps.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:

LOL, they are certainly coming off like they are trying to position themselves to play the Lakers in the first round, assuming no play-in. Lakers lose, they lose. Lakers win, they win, each win or loss getting them closer to being at the spot to play the Lakers.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Toronto choked.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Toronto choked.

They were without Lowry. He kind of changes things when the game is on the line.

Only watched bits and pieces of the Raps and Clips but I did not see the same inspired level of play as against the Lakers.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject:

Dallas has the inside track to 5 seed imo. It’s theirs unless they want to tank to 6.

Lakers and Portland will be trying to make sure they get the 6 seed, but it will be interesting to see if one of them tanks to 7 based on who is the 3 seed.

Portland I’m sure would love to the play the Suns instead of the Clippers or Nuggets. Less experience and a team like the Clippers gives Dame and CJ hell with their wing depth.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

How convenient that the Clippers didn't deal with Kyle Lowry going 8-13 from half court.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
How convenient that the Clippers didn't deal with Kyle Lowry going 8-13 from half court.

Right? Ugh
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

every team is reliant on their 2 best players playing at the top of their games to win a ring. We have a little more cushion than most due to our defensive abilities which we have shown most of the year.

Show me another team who doesnt need elite performances from their 2 best players to win a ring.

We were screwed from the jump with minimal off season and injuries. However we at the very least stayed afloat then hit a rough patch. We can definitely win remaining games but if the nuggets game was a sign we were on the other side of the hill then we are in a great place, with great timing. Obviously winning is all that matters but if we revert back to our elite defense down the stretch with a couple L's. all is good.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
defense wrote:
kwase wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Yeah he is certainly a worthy candidate. Right now in order for me:

1) Jokic
2) CP3
3) Julius
4) Embiid (this low only because of missed games)
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
kwase wrote:
defense wrote:
kwase wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Yeah he is certainly a worthy candidate. Right now in order for me:

1) Jokic
2) CP3
3) Julius
4) Embiid (this low only because of missed games)

Same list for me. I put Steph at 5 due to the outrageously amazing year he's having.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Right? Ugh

Lowry got his FA showcase out of the way...went back to missing games after getting up for the spotlight game.

Some lazy GM will give him $25M+ this offseason and then be in trouble when the aging Lowry ends up on the regular season Rondo schedule.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Right? Ugh

Lowry got his FA showcase out of the way...went back to missing games after getting up for the spotlight game.

Some lazy GM will give him $25M+ this offseason and then be in trouble when the aging Lowry ends up on the regular season Rondo schedule.

you think he gets that much? no one was willing to trade for him which in theory would be better for team and player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 20 of 36
Jump to: